Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2024 17:19:13 +0000 cZK4u82/TzyJvoa1AQAANt7aq3ChrJwDcSHd7VT3NO24herq0x3K+T5IGoYDTVlWYj2IBBUEcNQp2c6q86scJfVzdgHdlAI95vepwc/MJluzrzl5ysMfDyWA

----_NmP-dff965aeed67d6e0-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>Ethanol will not raise the octane level of fuel-only the "tanes" shown=
 on the chart affect boost and the higher the tane the more expensive the =
fuel.</div>
<div>If you procure fuel from an airport spout for road use =
there is a hefty fine (about $50K I think) and maybe jail time,&nbsp; so =
they won't sell you any.&nbsp; If clear gas (no eth) is not available you =
are stuck with ethanol. Hank</div>
<div><br>-------------------- =
<br><br>From: "Bob Spidell via Healeys" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
<br>Reply-To: "Bob Spidell" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: September 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM PDT =
<br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol <br>Living in California, I have =
been running 'gasahol' in all my cars longer than some. Best we can usually=
 get is 91-octane; I was able to buy higher-octane--93 and 100--fuel at =
times but, guess what: the octane was boosted with ethanol (added water to =
some and measured before and after; don't recall the exact mix but IIRC I =
figured it was 10% ethanol; standard from the pump seems to be about 8%).=
<br><br>I have about 140K miles on my BJ8 running mostly 91-octane gasahol,=
 and there have been no negative effects save some 'vapor lock*' on =
starting when hot. I replaced the hard line to carburettor flex line that =
had been on the car for a couple decades and, except for it being a little =
stiff there was no visible degradation. About 8 years ago I put a new carb =
jet in pure/denatured ethanol and there is also no visible degradation. =
Rubber components sold since the introduction of gasahol are impervious to =
the stuff. Theoretically, due to its oxygen content gasahol could cause an =
engine to run a little lean, and at least one knowledgeable person =
recommends changing to rich carb needles, but both my cars have long since =
been tuned to run on it with std. needles. The BJ8 was rebuilt to standard =
9.1:1 compression ratio, the BN2 is a 100M and has the 'high compression' 8=
.7:1 pistons. I've been told Healeys will run fine on 91 up to about 11:1 =
compression, depending on the cam and timing. <br><br>Good luck trying to =
'steal' from an airport--when I owned airplanes I would occasionally get =
some--but the fuel providers aren't likely to be enthusiastic about selling=
 it to you. Technically, you would owe 'road tax,' and the stuff is full of=
 TEL and highly toxic (don't breathe any of it and don't let it get on your=
 skin). <br><br>* not technically 'vapor lock,' but the alcohol vaporizes =
and cavitates the fuel next to the exhaust manifold, causing some stumbling=
 for a mile or so.<br><br>Bob<br><br></div>
<div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">=
On 9/2/2024 7:45 AM, carl and gerry rubino via Healeys wrote:</div>
<blockquote>A message from Canada. For the last 30 years I have been =
running my 100/6 on 93 gas with no alcohol.
<div>In its infinite wisdom our=
 government is going to legislate alcohol in all grades of gas.</div>
<div>Other than stealing gas from an airport any recommendations to deal =
with this?</div>
</blockquote>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
----_NmP-dff965aeed67d6e0-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="gasoline refined.pdf"

----_NmP-dff965aeed67d6e0-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

----_NmP-dff965aeed67d6e0-Part_1--