Subject: [Healeys] OD drips

From: Don via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 09:45:26 -0400

Good morning all 
    Two days ago I installed a new washer on the large brass drain plug on the 67 BJ8 . Filled the transmission up . Looked at it in the morning and it had drips on the bottom of the plug . So I used the correct tool and tried to tighten it up . Then this morning looked again and there was those drips. When I installed it the surface didn’t look gouged or anything. So what’s the fix to stop the drips ?  Remove the big brass plug , get a new gasket for it , apply some kind of gasket sealer on the gasket, reinstall it and tighten as needed? Maybe add two gaskets ? 
      Thanks as always, Don 
Sent from my iPhone
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 07:24:22 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2458347497632418958==
 boundary="------------AyqgFhvZ3uxXGiZrvkHLKHQv"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------AyqgFhvZ3uxXGiZrvkHLKHQv
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I'm having the same problem Don (well, I've always had it, but it's 
gotten worse). Years ago, when I had the gearbox/OD out I'd carefully 
flat-filed the O/D, as there was some roughness to it, and it seemed to 
help. But, after the latest intervention the dripping increased. I tried 
a new gasket and a sealer that's worked well for me in other 
places--Permatex Seal&Lock--and still get some drips. I can't say for 
sure, since I don't have one of the old gaskets, but I think the newer 
ones offered are thinner around the perimeter (not thickness, the width 
of the 'rim' of the gasket; i.e. OD minus ID). That could be part of the 
problem, plus those fiber washers, used elsewhere, are always tricky to 
get a good seal (S.U. went from the fiber gaskets to O-rings on their 
fuel pumps--you don't suppose?). Soaking with a light oil before 
installing helps; I don't recall if I did that last attempt.

I have a 'correct tool' as well, but it's still hard to get a lot of 
torque on the brass nut in situ. Back in the day, I'd take a drift and a 
2-lb hammer to it, but since getting a new plug I'm loathe to do that 
(but in desperation I might try it). Another alternative would be to 
forgo the gasket and just use the sealant, which worked well to seal a 
mis-sized plug on an 'uprated' water pump (thanks Steve K.). But, it 
could be that that sealant may not work as well on an oily surface (hard 
to get all oil off the hole as it keeps dripping for days).

Bob

>      Two days ago I installed a new washer on the large brass drain plug on the 67 BJ8 . Filled the transmission up . Looked at it in the morning and it had drips on the bottom of the plug . So I u…
--------------AyqgFhvZ3uxXGiZrvkHLKHQv
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    I'm having the same problem Don (well, I've always had it, but it's
    gotten worse). Years ago, when I had the gearbox/OD out I'd
    carefully flat-filed the O/D, as there was some roughness to it, and
    it seemed to help. But, after the latest intervention the dripping
    increased. I tried a new gasket and a sealer that's worked well for
    me in other places--Permatex Seal&amp;Lock--and still get some
    drips. I can't say for sure, since I don't have one of the old
    gaskets, but I think the newer ones offered are thinner around the
    perimeter (not thickness, the width of the 'rim' of the gasket; i.e.
    OD minus ID). That could be part of the problem, plus those fiber
    washers, used elsewhere, are always tricky to get a good seal (S.U.
    went from the fiber gaskets to O-rings on their fuel pumps--you
    don't suppose?). Soaking with a light oil before installing helps; I
    don't recall if I did that last attempt. <br>
    <br>
    I have a 'correct tool' as well, but it's still hard to get a lot of
    torque on the brass nut in situ. Back in the day, I'd take a drift
    and a 2-lb hammer to it, but since getting a new plug I'm loathe to
    do that (but in desperation I might try it). Another alternative
    would be to forgo the gasket and just use the sealant, which worked
    well to seal a mis-sized plug on an 'uprated' water pump (thanks
    Steve K.). But, it could be that that sealant may not work as well
    on an oily surface (hard to get all oil off the hole as it keeps
    dripping for days). <br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/28/2024 6:45 AM, Don via Healeys
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Good morning all 
    Two days ago I installed a new washer on the large brass drain plug on the 67 BJ8 . Filled the transmission up . Looked at it in the morning and it had drips on the bottom of the plug . So I used the correct tool and tried to tighten it up . Then this morning looked again and there was those drips. When I installed it the surface didn’t look gouged or anything. So what’s the fix to stop the drips ?  Remove the big brass plug , get a new gasket for it , apply some kind of gasket sealer on the gasket, reinstall it and tighten as needed? Maybe add two gaskets ? 
      Thanks as always, Don 
Sent from my iPhone

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------AyqgFhvZ3uxXGiZrvkHLKHQv--

--===============2458347497632418958==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2458347497632418958==--

---

From: Harold Manifold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 09:04:19 -0700

--===============8276268015571107402==

--0000000000007940cf06233020a2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Don,

I had a leak in the large OD drain plug plug as well. After several failed
attempts with magic sealers to stop the leak I discovered the flange on the
brass nut had a slight wave. I carefully filed the flange until flat and
dressed the OD opening as well. I applied Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket
to the fiber washer and the bottom half of the threads. So far no leaks. I
am using 30W non-detergent oil, synthetic gear oils will leak more
readily than the 30W.

Lesson learned is there can't be the slightest gap between the flange and
the seat. Try assembling dry without the gasket and see if the nut seats
all the way around.

Harold

On Sat, Sep 28, 2024 at 8:07=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell via Healeys <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm having the same problem Don (well, I've always had it, but it's gotte=
n
> worse). Years ago, when I had the gearbox/OD out I'd carefully flat-filed
> the O/D, as there was some roughness to it, and it seemed to help. But,
> after the latest intervention the dripping increased. I tried a new gaske=
t
> and a sealer that's worked well for me in other places--Permatex
> Seal&Lock--and still get some drips. I can't say for sure, since I don't
> have one of the old gaskets, but I think the newer ones offered are thinn=
er
> around the perimeter (not thickness, the width of the 'rim' of the gasket=
;
> i.e. OD minus ID). That could be part of the problem, plus those fiber
> washers, used elsewhere, are always tricky to get a good seal (S.U. went
> from the fiber gaskets to O-rings on their fuel pumps--you don't suppose?=
).
> Soaking with a light oil before installing helps; I don't recall if I did
> that last attempt.
>
> 2-lb hammer to it, but since getting a new plug I'm loathe to do that (bu=
t
> in desperation I might try it). Another alternative would be to forgo the
> gasket and just use the sealant, which worked well to seal a mis-sized pl=
ug
> on an 'uprated' water pump (thanks Steve K.). But, it could be that that
> sealant may not work as well on an oily surface (hard to get all oil off
> the hole as it keeps dripping for days).
>
> Bob
>
>     Two days ago I installed a new washer on the large brass drain plug o=
n the 67 BJ8 . Filled the transmission up . Looked at it in the morning and=
 it had drips on the bottom of the plug . So I used the correct tool and tr=
ied to tighten it up . Then this morning looked again and there was those d=
rips. When I installed it the surface didn=E2=80=99t look gouged or anythin=
g. So what=E2=80=99s the fix to stop the drips ?  Remove the big brass plug=
 , get a new gasket for it , apply some kind of gasket sealer on the gasket=
, reinstall it and tighten as needed? Maybe add two gaskets ?
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000007940cf06233020a2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Don,<div><br></div><div>I had a leak in the large OD drain=
 plug plug as well. After several failed attempts with magic sealers to sto=
p the leak I discovered the flange on the brass nut had a slight wave. I ca=
refully filed the flange until flat and dressed the OD opening=C2=A0as well=
. I applied Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket to the fiber washer and the bot=
tom half of the threads. So far no leaks. I am using 30W non-detergent oil,=
 synthetic gear oils will leak more readily=C2=A0than the 30W.</div><div><b=
r></div><div>Lesson learned is there can&#39;t be the slightest gap between=
 the flange and the seat. Try assembling=C2=A0dry without the gasket and se=
e if the nut seats all the way around.</div><div><br></div><div>Harold</div=
><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div><br><div=
 class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Sep 28=
, 2024 at 8:07=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:hea=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockq=
uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1p=
x solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    I&#39;m having the same problem Don (well, I&#39;ve always had it, but =
it&#39;s
    gotten worse). Years ago, when I had the gearbox/OD out I&#39;d
    carefully flat-filed the O/D, as there was some roughness to it, and
    it seemed to help. But, after the latest intervention the dripping
    increased. I tried a new gasket and a sealer that&#39;s worked well for
    me in other places--Permatex Seal&amp;Lock--and still get some
    drips. I can&#39;t say for sure, since I don&#39;t have one of the old
    gaskets, but I think the newer ones offered are thinner around the
    perimeter (not thickness, the width of the &#39;rim&#39; of the gasket;=
 i.e.
    OD minus ID). That could be part of the problem, plus those fiber
    washers, used elsewhere, are always tricky to get a good seal (S.U.
    went from the fiber gaskets to O-rings on their fuel pumps--you
    don&#39;t suppose?). Soaking with a light oil before installing helps; =
I
    don&#39;t recall if I did that last attempt. <br>
    <br>
    I have a &#39;correct tool&#39; as well, but it&#39;s still hard to get=
 a lot of
    torque on the brass nut in situ. Back in the day, I&#39;d take a drift
    and a 2-lb hammer to it, but since getting a new plug I&#39;m loathe to
    do that (but in desperation I might try it). Another alternative
    would be to forgo the gasket and just use the sealant, which worked
    well to seal a mis-sized plug on an &#39;uprated&#39; water pump (thank=
s
    Steve K.). But, it could be that that sealant may not work as well
    on an oily surface (hard to get all oil off the hole as it keeps
    dripping for days). <br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div>On 9/28/2024 6:45 AM, Don via Healeys
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
      <pre>Good morning all=20
    Two days ago I installed a new washer on the large brass drain plug on =
the 67 BJ8 . Filled the transmission up . Looked at it in the morning and i=
t had drips on the bottom of the plug . So I used the correct tool and trie=
d to tighten it up . Then this morning looked again and there was those dri=
ps. When I installed it the surface didn=E2=80=99t look gouged or anything.=
 So what=E2=80=99s the fix to stop the drips ?  Remove the big brass plug ,=
 get a new gasket for it , apply some kind of gasket sealer on the gasket, =
reinstall it and tighten as needed? Maybe add two gaskets ?=20
      Thanks as always, Don=20
Sent from my iPhone

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000007940cf06233020a2--

--===============8276268015571107402==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8276268015571107402==--