Subject: Re: [Healeys] too quiet

From: Jean Caron via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 02:22:40 +0000

--===============8905929865690931611==
Content-Language: en-CA
	boundary="_000_BL0PR11MB339603F2733BF9ADD48447D6D1652BL0PR11MB3396namp_"

--_000_BL0PR11MB339603F2733BF9ADD48447D6D1652BL0PR11MB3396namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Just my own opinion here, but I think that all these new electronic parts t=
hat they make for our cars are really nothing more than 8junk that they sel=
l to make money and keep their businesses going. As you proved your self yo=
u installed the original unit and it worked fine.
What I am wondering John, you drove your car 250 miles there and 250 miles =
back to have an electronic part installed that nearly burned your ignition =
wires by a company that claim to be pretty good at what they are doing. To =
my thinking, you sound like you likely would have done just as well yoursel=
f as you reinstalled the original on the side of the road.
This is not to say these places are to be avoided, but I still think that i=
f you have tinkered enough with your Austin-Healey over the years, you are =
probably the best person to keep it running smooth.

Jean
________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of John Vrugtman v=
ia Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: September 13, 2024 1:41 AM
To: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] too quiet

OK I'll bring up an recent experience I've had.  Bought an electronic
dizzy for my 64 BJ8 and had a experienced shop install it because they
have a dyno to help choose one of the 16 curves available.  The
technician called me up and said the unit shorted out right after
installation almost burning ignition wires.  BTW shop is 250 miles from
me.  Ordered another one to be shipped to the shop.  They installed it
and set it for program number 9.  Picked up the car and drove it towards
home.  After about 50 miles on interstate it started to cut out
intermittently.  Was able to stop at a convenience store, replaced the
dizzy with the original, which worked fine and drove home.  I think I'll
leave it as it is for now.

John
64 BJ8
Hightown, VA
_______________________________________________
3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2Fdonate.html&data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a7=
08dcd396c98e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63861789179173714=
3%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1ha=
WwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3D8ugtj5domCuANeMYSjkVrinLBCOrFUT49z%2=
F046x0dZ8%3D&reserved=3D0<http://www.team.net/donate.html>

Archive: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2F=
www.team.net%2Fpipermail%2Fhealeys&data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a7=
08dcd396c98e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63861789179174668=
0%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1ha=
WwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3D2hJ0w2B2rC%2BXlBqer56u1ekPS5FbkZQQN8=
kNK%2Fs3Gjw%3D&reserved=3D0<http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys> https://=
na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fautox.team.net%2F=
archive%2Fhealeys&data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c98e%7C84=
df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791751684%7CUnknown%7CTWF=
pbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D=
%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3D7m%2FSrSVRXID9PqDeTB6tMgac2HS%2FCJ%2FFmNM9w9a0vZ0%3D&=
reserved=3D0<http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys>

[email-masked]
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fautox.tea=
m.net%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fhealeys&data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532=
a708dcd396c98e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791756=
730%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1=
haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3DWDDgUs3A1qN%2BIdZPPVbgjW0mzSL2%2Bb=
HfGOyHPdjTEAw%3D&reserved=3D0<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healey=
s>

tp%3A%2F%2Fautox.team.net%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fhealeys%2Fvintage_roadster_=
restoration%40hotmail.com&data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c=
98e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791761712%7CUnkno=
wn%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVC=
I6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3DjjEgZlXuOfEAg6dDFCDY4G9tlEuikI5cwPyTyQc0LXw%3=
D&reserved=3D0<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadst=
[email-masked]>

--_000_BL0PR11MB339603F2733BF9ADD48447D6D1652BL0PR11MB3396namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, san=
s-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Just my own opinion here, but I think that all these new electronic parts t=
hat they make for our cars are really nothing more than 8junk that they sel=
l to make money and keep their businesses going. As you proved your self yo=
u installed the original unit and
 it worked fine.&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, san=
s-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
What I am wondering John, you drove your car 250 miles there and 250 miles =
back to have an electronic part installed that nearly burned your ignition =
wires by a company that claim to be pretty good at what they are doing. To =
my thinking, you sound like you
 likely would have done just as well yourself as you reinstalled the origin=
al on the side of the road.&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, san=
s-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
This is not to say these places are to be avoided, but I still think that i=
f you have tinkered enough with your Austin-Healey over the years, you are =
probably the best person to keep it running smooth.</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, san=
s-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, san=
s-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Jean</div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-b=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of John Vrugtman via Healeys &lt;healey=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> September 13, 2024 1:41 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Austin Healey &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] too quiet</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;=
">
<div class=3D"PlainText">OK I'll bring up an recent experience I've had.&nb=
sp; Bought an electronic
<br>
dizzy for my 64 BJ8 and had a experienced shop install it because they <br>
have a dyno to help choose one of the 16 curves available.&nbsp; The <br>
technician called me up and said the unit shorted out right after <br>
installation almost burning ignition wires.&nbsp; BTW shop is 250 miles fro=
m <br>
me.&nbsp; Ordered another one to be shipped to the shop.&nbsp; They install=
ed it <br>
and set it for program number 9.&nbsp; Picked up the car and drove it towar=
ds <br>
home.&nbsp; After about 50 miles on interstate it started to cut out <br>
intermittently.&nbsp; Was able to stop at a convenience store, replaced the=
 <br>
dizzy with the original, which worked fine and drove home.&nbsp; I think I'=
ll <br>
leave it as it is for now.<br>
<br>
John<br>
64 BJ8<br>
Hightown, VA<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
afelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2Fdonate.h=
tml&amp;data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c98e%7C84df9e7fe9f6=
40afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791737143%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8e=
yJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C=
%7C&amp;sdata=3D8ugtj5domCuANeMYSjkVrinLBCOrFUT49z%2F046x0dZ8%3D&amp;reserv=
ed=3D0</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">https://na01.saf=
elinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2Fpipermail%=
2Fhealeys&amp;data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c98e%7C84df9e=
7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791746680%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZ=
sb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0=
%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=3D2hJ0w2B2rC%2BXlBqer56u1ekPS5FbkZQQN8kNK%2Fs3Gjw%3D&am=
p;reserved=3D0</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">https://na01.safelinks.pr=
otection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fautox.team.net%2Farchive%2Fhealeys=
&amp;data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c98e%7C84df9e7fe9f640a=
fb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791751684%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJW=
IjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C=
&amp;sdata=3D7m%2FSrSVRXID9PqDeTB6tMgac2HS%2FCJ%2FFmNM9w9a0vZ0%3D&amp;reser=
ved=3D0</a><br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">https://na01.saf=
elinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fautox.team.net%2Fmailman%=
2Flistinfo%2Fhealeys&amp;data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c9=
8e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791756730%7CUnknow=
n%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI=
6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=3DWDDgUs3A1qN%2BIdZPPVbgjW0mzSL2%2BbHfGOyHPd=
jTEAw%3D&amp;reserved=3D0</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]">
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fautox.tea=
m.net%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fhealeys%2Fvintage_roadster_restoration%40hotmai=
l.com&amp;data=3D05%7C02%7C%7C851185bc19b3486532a708dcd396c98e%7C84df9e7fe9=
f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638617891791761712%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d=
8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%=
7C%7C&amp;sdata=3DjjEgZlXuOfEAg6dDFCDY4G9tlEuikI5cwPyTyQc0LXw%3D&amp;reserv=
ed=3D0</a><br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BL0PR11MB339603F2733BF9ADD48447D6D1652BL0PR11MB3396namp_--

--===============8905929865690931611==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8905929865690931611==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 19:35:00 -0700

John - any idea of what caused the first electronic distributor to fail? 

My experience has been just the opposite: I installed a Pertronix replacement electronic distributor in my BJ-8 and it never gave me a minutes' trouble, which is the same as everybody I know who has installed Pertronix inserts to replace stock points assemblies. Well, actually I DID short out the wires once and fried a module, but that's on me and not the unit, which was working just fine before I went in there working on something else.

[And yes, I DO know the web is rife with stories of how when they fail it's often all at once, and how one can limp home with bad points, or fix them at the side of the road...]

Anyway - just wondering what might be the issue with yours. It sounds like a polarity issue, but that's just guessing.
-----------------------------------
All the best,

Al Fuller

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of John Vrugtman via Healeys
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2024 6:41 PM
To: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] too quiet

OK I'll bring up an recent experience I've had.  Bought an electronic dizzy for my 64 BJ8 and had a experienced shop install it because they have a dyno to help choose one of the 16 curves available.  The technician called me up and said the unit shorted out right after installation almost burning ignition wires.  BTW shop is 250 miles from me.  Ordered another one to be shipped to the shop.  They installed it and set it for program number 9.  Picked up the car and drove it towards home.  After about 50 miles on interstate it started to cut out intermittently.  Was able to stop at a convenience store, replaced the dizzy with the original, which worked fine and drove home.  I think I'll leave it as it is for now.

John
64 BJ8
Hightown, VA

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 20:17:37 -0700

Are you running copper stranded secondary ignition wires by any chance?

On 9/12/2024 6:41 PM, John Vrugtman via Healeys wrote:
> installation almost burning ignition wires.  BTW shop is 250 miles 
> from me.  Ordered another one to be shipped to the shop. They 
> installed it and set it for program number 9.  Picked up the car and 
> drove it towards home.  After about 50 miles on interstate it started 
> to cut out intermittently.  Was able to stop at a convenience store, 
> replaced the dizzy with the original, which worked fine and drove 
> home.  I think I'll leave it as it is for now.
>
> John
> 64 BJ8
> Hightown, VA
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]