Subject: Re: [Healeys] OD drips

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 17:48:56 +0000 ViIqRkKVG6Ldd7Q7UjstQnv1PpZPIJWxzbd33o9epLYvyWdc4mTsc7RU7Y08G9jxevz4Yi3UwAncL3xAXbre0ld0jb7WV/ZzKXdoNUU77ncvCAHpahak7Yfb zcg6MvzY8F/hnG1bsZpcpw==

--===============1536517810735520185==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>Yes, Harold has the best method! It is important to get some sealer =
onto the threads-use a Q-tip if necessary but that is where the seal takes =
place or leaks. That hard gasket really does not seal well and oil won't =
soak into it like as if it was cork. The gasket is just there to give you =
some squeeze movement.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Permatex Aircraft is =
the best for that as it starts out liquid but then hardens to each surface.=
 Often the "ears" get distorted from what Bob described as the =
chisel/hammer method of tightening and then the plug does not go all the =
way home. Then you need to get out the file.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>And thank you Harold!!! <strong>30W non-detergent ONLY-</strong>no =
synthetics or expect leaks. Hank</div>
<div><br>-------------------- =
<br><br>From: "Harold Manifold" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: "Bob =
Spidell" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Cc: &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt; <br>Sent: September 28, 2024 at 9:31 AM PDT <br>Subject: Re: =
[Healeys] OD drips </div>
<div>Don,
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I had a leak in the large OD drain plug plug as well. After several =
failed attempts with magic sealers to stop the leak I discovered the flange=
 on the brass nut had a slight wave. I carefully filed the flange until =
flat and dressed the OD opening&nbsp;as well. I applied Permatex Aviation =
Form-a-Gasket to the fiber washer and the bottom half of the threads. So =
far no leaks. I am using 30W non-detergent oil, synthetic gear oils will =
leak more readily&nbsp;than the 30W.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Lesson learned is there can't be the slightest gap between the flange =
and the seat. Try assembling&nbsp;dry without the gasket and see if the nut=
 seats all the way around.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Harold</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_quote">
<div class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Sep 28, 2024 at 8:07=E2=80=AFAM Bob =
Spidell via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked].=
net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
<blockquote =
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; border-left: 1px =
solid rgb(204,204,204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<div>I'm having the same =
problem Don (well, I've always had it, but it's gotten worse). Years ago, =
when I had the gearbox/OD out I'd carefully flat-filed the O/D, as there =
was some roughness to it, and it seemed to help. But, after the latest =
intervention the dripping increased. I tried a new gasket and a sealer =
that's worked well for me in other places--Permatex Seal&amp;Lock--and =
still get some drips. I can't say for sure, since I don't have one of the =
old gaskets, but I think the newer ones offered are thinner around the =
perimeter (not thickness, the width of the 'rim' of the gasket; i.e. OD =
minus ID). That could be part of the problem, plus those fiber washers, =
used elsewhere, are always tricky to get a good seal (S.U. went from the =
fiber gaskets to O-rings on their fuel pumps--you don't suppose?). Soaking =
with a light oil before installing helps; I don't recall if I did that last=
 attempt. <br><br>I have a 'correct tool' as well, but it's still hard to =
get a lot of torque on the brass nut in situ. Back in the day, I'd take a =
drift and a 2-lb hammer to it, but since getting a new plug I'm loathe to =
do that (but in desperation I might try it). Another alternative would be =
to forgo the gasket and just use the sealant, which worked well to seal a =
mis-sized plug on an 'uprated' water pump (thanks Steve K.). But, it could =
be that that sealant may not work as well on an oily surface (hard to get =
all oil off the hole as it keeps dripping for days). <br><br>Bob<br><br>
<div>On 9/28/2024 6:45 AM, Don via Healeys wrote:</div>
<blockquote>
<pre>Good morning all=20
    Two days ago I installed a new washer on the =
large brass drain plug on the 67 BJ8 . Filled the transmission up . Looked =
at it in the morning and it had drips on the bottom of the plug . So I used=
 the correct tool and tried to tighten it up . Then this morning looked =
again and there was those drips. When I installed it the surface =
didn&rsquo;t look gouged or anything. So what&rsquo;s the fix to stop the =
drips ?  Remove the big brass plug , get a new gasket for it , apply some =
kind of gasket sealer on the gasket, reinstall it and tighten as needed? =
Maybe add two gaskets ?=20
      Thanks as always, Don=20
Sent from my iPhone

</pre>
</blockquote>
</div>
__________________________=
_____________________<br>Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.=
net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.=
net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.=
75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" =
target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a=
> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noopener">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br><br><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noopener">[email-masked]</a><br><a href=3D"http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br><br></blockquote>
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

--===============1536517810735520185==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1536517810735520185==--