Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 10:32:04 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0138378692765687143==
 boundary="------------031PK2cgPfaLPOa573mgXx1C"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------031PK2cgPfaLPOa573mgXx1C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

"Ethanol boosts the octane number of fuel, which helps prevent 
pre-ignition knock. Incidentally, the octane rating system for fuels was 
originally developed by Penn State chemist Russell Marker in the 1920s. 
The octane rating (Anti-Knock Index, AKI) of normal unleaded gasoline in 
the United States is 87. The octane rating of pure ethanol is 100. 
What's interesting is that when ethanol is blended with gasoline, it 
performs as if its octane rating is 112, making ethanol a very effective 
octane booster when used in gasoline. High octane is one reason why 
NASCAR uses ethanol for their high-compression racing engines. Engines 
that are designed and optimized for ethanol fuel have the potential to 
run at higher efficiencies than engines designed for and using gasoline."

https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain

On 9/2/2024 10:19 AM, Hank Leach wrote:
> Ethanol will not raise the octane level of fuel-only the "tanes" shown 
> on the chart affect boost and the higher the tane the more expensive 
> the fuel.
> If you procure fuel from an airport spout for road use there is a 
> hefty fine (about $50K I think) and maybe jail time,  so they won't 
> sell you any.  If clear gas (no eth) is not available you are stuck 
> with ethanol. Hank
>
> --------------------
>
> From: "Bob Spidell via Healeys" <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: September 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM PDT
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol
> Living in California, I have been running 'gasahol' in all my cars 
> longer than some. Best we can usually get is 91-octane; I was able to 
> buy higher-octane--93 and 100--fuel at times but, guess what: the 
> octane was boosted with ethanol (added water to some and measured 
> before and after; don't recall the exact mix but IIRC I figured it was 
> 10% ethanol; standard from the pump seems to be about 8%).
>
> I have about 140K miles on my BJ8 running mostly 91-octane gasahol, 
> and there have been no negative effects save some 'vapor lock*' on 
> starting when hot. I replaced the hard line to carburettor flex line 
> that had been on the car for a couple decades and, except for it being 
> a little stiff there was no visible degradation. About 8 years ago I 
> put a new carb jet in pure/denatured ethanol and there is also no 
> visible degradation. Rubber components sold since the introduction of 
> gasahol are impervious to the stuff. Theoretically, due to its oxygen 
> content gasahol could cause an engine to run a little lean, and at 
> least one knowledgeable person recommends changing to rich carb 
> needles, but both my cars have long since been tuned to run on it with 
> std. needles. The BJ8 was rebuilt to standard 9.1:1 compression ratio, 
> the BN2 is a 100M and has the 'high compression' 8.7:1 pistons. I've 
> been told Healeys will run fine on 91 up to about 11:1 compression, 
> depending on the cam and timing.
>
> Good luck trying to 'steal' from an airport--when I owned airplanes I 
> would occasionally get some--but the fuel providers aren't likely to 
> be enthusiastic about selling it to you. Technically, you would owe 
> 'road tax,' and the stuff is full of TEL and highly toxic (don't 
> breathe any of it and don't let it get on your skin).
>
> * not technically 'vapor lock,' but the alcohol vaporizes and 
> cavitates the fuel next to the exhaust manifold, causing some 
> stumbling for a mile or so.
>
> Bob
>
> On 9/2/2024 7:45 AM, carl and gerry rubino via Healeys wrote:
>
>     A message from Canada. For the last 30 years I have been running
>     my 100/6 on 93 gas with no alcohol.
>     In its infinite wisdom our government is going to legislate
>     alcohol in all grades of gas.
>     Other than stealing gas from an airport any recommendations to
>     deal with this?
>

--------------031PK2cgPfaLPOa573mgXx1C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    "Ethanol boosts the octane number of fuel, which helps prevent
    pre-ignition knock. Incidentally, the octane rating system for fuels
    was originally developed by Penn State chemist Russell Marker in the
    1920s. The octane rating (Anti-Knock Index, AKI) of normal unleaded
    gasoline in the United States is 87. The octane rating of pure
    ethanol is 100. What's interesting is that when ethanol is blended
    with gasoline, it performs as if its octane rating is 112, making
    ethanol a very effective octane booster when used in gasoline. High
    octane is one reason why NASCAR uses ethanol for their
    high-compression racing engines. Engines that are designed and
    optimized for ethanol fuel have the potential to run at higher
    efficiencies than engines designed for and using gasoline."<br>
    <br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain">https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain</a><br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 10:19 AM, Hank Leach wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div>Ethanol will not raise the octane level of fuel-only the
        "tanes" shown on the chart affect boost and the higher the tane
        the more expensive the fuel.</div>
      <div>If you procure fuel from an airport spout for road use there
        is a hefty fine (about $50K I think) and maybe jail time,  so
        they won't sell you any.  If clear gas (no eth) is not available
        you are stuck with ethanol. Hank</div>
      <div><br>
        -------------------- <br>
        <br>
        From: "Bob Spidell via Healeys" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> <br>
        Reply-To: "Bob Spidell" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> <br>
        To: <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> <br>
        Sent: September 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM PDT <br>
        Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol <br>
        Living in California, I have been running 'gasahol' in all my
        cars longer than some. Best we can usually get is 91-octane; I
        was able to buy higher-octane--93 and 100--fuel at times but,
        guess what: the octane was boosted with ethanol (added water to
        some and measured before and after; don't recall the exact mix
        but IIRC I figured it was 10% ethanol; standard from the pump
        seems to be about 8%).<br>
        <br>
        I have about 140K miles on my BJ8 running mostly 91-octane
        gasahol, and there have been no negative effects save some
        'vapor lock*' on starting when hot. I replaced the hard line to
        carburettor flex line that had been on the car for a couple
        decades and, except for it being a little stiff there was no
        visible degradation. About 8 years ago I put a new carb jet in
        pure/denatured ethanol and there is also no visible degradation.
        Rubber components sold since the introduction of gasahol are
        impervious to the stuff. Theoretically, due to its oxygen
        content gasahol could cause an engine to run a little lean, and
        at least one knowledgeable person recommends changing to rich
        carb needles, but both my cars have long since been tuned to run
        on it with std. needles. The BJ8 was rebuilt to standard 9.1:1
        compression ratio, the BN2 is a 100M and has the 'high
        compression' 8.7:1 pistons. I've been told Healeys will run fine
        on 91 up to about 11:1 compression, depending on the cam and
        timing. <br>
        <br>
        Good luck trying to 'steal' from an airport--when I owned
        airplanes I would occasionally get some--but the fuel providers
        aren't likely to be enthusiastic about selling it to you.
        Technically, you would owe 'road tax,' and the stuff is full of
        TEL and highly toxic (don't breathe any of it and don't let it
        get on your skin). <br>
        <br>
        * not technically 'vapor lock,' but the alcohol vaporizes and
        cavitates the fuel next to the exhaust manifold, causing some
        stumbling for a mile or so.<br>
        <br>
        Bob<br>
        <br>
      </div>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 7:45 AM, carl and gerry
        rubino via Healeys wrote:</div>
      <blockquote>A message from Canada. For the last 30 years I have
        been running my 100/6 on 93 gas with no alcohol.
        <div>In its infinite wisdom our government is going to legislate
          alcohol in all grades of gas.</div>
        <div>Other than stealing gas from an airport any recommendations
          to deal with this?</div>
      </blockquote>
      <div> </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------031PK2cgPfaLPOa573mgXx1C--

--===============0138378692765687143==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0138378692765687143==--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 12:19:30 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7107255119529591786==
 boundary="------------J28Ora3KvYMA09IrGDLAEtVR"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------J28Ora3KvYMA09IrGDLAEtVR
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

CORRECTION: Hank is correct in that ethanol isn't necessarily used to 
boost octane in pump gas--my assumption was incorrect--it's only added 
because of the federal mandate. It can raise octane, though the effect 
is probably minimal (the Penn State article didn't give the blend ratio, 
but 102 over 100 isn't much regardless). You can refine 100-octane gas 
from crude, but it would probably cost $10/gallon or more; and running 
E85 allows compression ratios to be raised for better efficiency and 
performance. That's why TEL was developed: to cheaply increase fuel 
detonation resistance while simultaneously poisoning every living thing 
on the planet.

In digging further, I came across this, which pretty much acknowledges 
what a lot of us suspected: ethanol in gas causes vapor lock, and not 
just in our Healeys. Also surprising to me, as ethanol has a lower vapor 
pressure than gasoline--I'd assumed the opposite--but blending them 
increases vapor pressure.

"... Gasoline vapor lock causes engines to stall, mostly when the car is 
in traffic and temperature is rising high. Similarly when a car is 
parked for a short period of time the heated motor won´t start. The 
higher the temperature, the higher the altitude, the more likely it is 
that Gasoline vapors build a vapor lock, preventing the fuel in the line 
from moving to the engine."

https://www.grabner-instruments.com/-/media/ametekgrabnerinstruments/files/pdfs/application--vapor-pressure--vl-ratio-of-gasolineethanol-blends.pdf?la=en&revision=00f78dc8-029e-4481-ba85-e640bdc7e338

Note there is some effort to change all gas to 93-octane only, which 
would accommodate all engines and simplify the refining and delivery 
process. We can hope, I guess.

Bob

On 9/2/2024 10:32 AM, Bob Spidell via Healeys wrote:
> gasoline in the United States is 87. The octane rating of pure ethanol 
> is 100. What's interesting is that when ethanol is blended with 
> gasoline, it performs as if its octane rating is 112, making ethanol a 
> very effective octane booster when used in gasoline. High octane is 
> one reason why NASCAR uses ethanol for their high-compression racing 
> engines. Engines that are designed and optimized for ethanol fuel have 
> the potential to run at higher efficiencies than engines designed for 
> and using gasoline."
>
>> Ethanol will not raise the octane level of fuel-only the "tanes" 
>> shown on the chart affect boost and the higher the tane the more 
>> expensive the fuel.
>> before and after; don't recall the exact mix but IIRC I figured it 
>> was 10% ethanol; standard from the pump seems to be about 8%).
>>
>> that had been on the car for a couple decades and, except for it 
>> being a little stiff there was no visible degradation. About 8 years 
>> ago I put a new carb jet in pure/denatured ethanol and there is also 
>> no visible degradation. Rubber components sold since the introduction 
>> of gasahol are impervious to the stuff. Theoretically, due to its 
>> oxygen content gasahol could cause an engine to run a little lean, 
>> and at least one knowledgeable person recommends changing to rich 
>> carb needles, but both my cars have long since been tuned to run on 
>> it with std. needles. The BJ8 was rebuilt to standard 9.1:1 
>> compression ratio, the BN2 is a 100M and has the 'high compression' 
>> 8.7:1 pistons. I've been told Healeys will run fine on 91 up to about 
>> 11:1 compression, depending on the cam and timing.
>>
--------------J28Ora3KvYMA09IrGDLAEtVR
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    CORRECTION: Hank is correct in that ethanol isn't necessarily used
    to boost octane in pump gas--my assumption was incorrect--it's only
    added because of the federal mandate. It can raise octane, though
    the effect is probably minimal (the Penn State article didn't give
    the blend ratio, but 102 over 100 isn't much regardless). You can
    refine 100-octane gas from crude, but it would probably cost
    $10/gallon or more; and running E85 allows compression ratios to be
    raised for better efficiency and performance. That's why TEL was
    developed: to cheaply increase fuel detonation resistance while
    simultaneously poisoning every living thing on the planet.<br>
    <br>
    In digging further, I came across this, which pretty much
    acknowledges what a lot of us suspected: ethanol in gas causes vapor
    lock, and not just in our Healeys. Also surprising to me, as ethanol
    has a lower vapor pressure than gasoline--I'd assumed the
    opposite--but blending them increases vapor pressure.<br>
    <br>
    "... Gasoline vapor lock causes engines to stall, mostly when the
    car is in traffic and temperature is rising high. Similarly when a
    car is parked for a short period of time the heated motor won´t
    start. The higher the temperature, the higher the altitude, the more
    likely it is that Gasoline vapors build a vapor lock, preventing the
    fuel in the line from moving to the engine."<br>
    <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.grabner-instruments.com/-/media/ametekgrabnerinstruments/files/pdfs/application--vapor-pressure--vl-ratio-of-gasolineethanol-blends.pdf?la=en&amp;revision=00f78dc8-029e-4481-ba85-e640bdc7e338">https://www.grabner-instruments.com/-/media/ametekgrabnerinstruments/files/pdfs/application--vapor-pressure--vl-ratio-of-gasolineethanol-blends.pdf?la=en&amp;revision=00f78dc8-029e-4481-ba85-e640bdc7e338</a><br>
    <br>
    Note there is some effort to change all gas to 93-octane only, which
    would accommodate all engines and simplify the refining and delivery
    process. We can hope, I guess.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 10:32 AM, Bob Spidell via
      Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      "Ethanol boosts the octane number of fuel, which helps prevent
      pre-ignition knock. Incidentally, the octane rating system for
      fuels was originally developed by Penn State chemist Russell
      Marker in the 1920s. The octane rating (Anti-Knock Index, AKI) of
      normal unleaded gasoline in the United States is 87. The octane
      rating of pure ethanol is 100. What's interesting is that when
      ethanol is blended with gasoline, it performs as if its octane
      rating is 112, making ethanol a very effective octane booster when
      used in gasoline. High octane is one reason why NASCAR uses
      ethanol for their high-compression racing engines. Engines that
      are designed and optimized for ethanol fuel have the potential to
      run at higher efficiencies than engines designed for and using
      gasoline."<br>
      <br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
        href="https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain"
        moz-do-not-send="true">https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain</a><br>
      <br>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 10:19 AM, Hank Leach
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
        cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type"
          content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
        <div>Ethanol will not raise the octane level of fuel-only the
          "tanes" shown on the chart affect boost and the higher the
          tane the more expensive the fuel.</div>
        <div>If you procure fuel from an airport spout for road use
          there is a hefty fine (about $50K I think) and maybe jail
          time,  so they won't sell you any.  If clear gas (no eth) is
          not available you are stuck with ethanol. Hank</div>
        <div><br>
          -------------------- <br>
          <br>
          From: "Bob Spidell via Healeys" <a
            class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
          <br>
          Reply-To: "Bob Spidell" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
          <br>
          To: <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
          <br>
          Sent: September 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM PDT <br>
          Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol <br>
          Living in California, I have been running 'gasahol' in all my
          cars longer than some. Best we can usually get is 91-octane; I
          was able to buy higher-octane--93 and 100--fuel at times but,
          guess what: the octane was boosted with ethanol (added water
          to some and measured before and after; don't recall the exact
          mix but IIRC I figured it was 10% ethanol; standard from the
          pump seems to be about 8%).<br>
          <br>
          I have about 140K miles on my BJ8 running mostly 91-octane
          gasahol, and there have been no negative effects save some
          'vapor lock*' on starting when hot. I replaced the hard line
          to carburettor flex line that had been on the car for a couple
          decades and, except for it being a little stiff there was no
          visible degradation. About 8 years ago I put a new carb jet in
          pure/denatured ethanol and there is also no visible
          degradation. Rubber components sold since the introduction of
          gasahol are impervious to the stuff. Theoretically, due to its
          oxygen content gasahol could cause an engine to run a little
          lean, and at least one knowledgeable person recommends
          changing to rich carb needles, but both my cars have long
          since been tuned to run on it with std. needles. The BJ8 was
          rebuilt to standard 9.1:1 compression ratio, the BN2 is a 100M
          and has the 'high compression' 8.7:1 pistons. I've been told
          Healeys will run fine on 91 up to about 11:1 compression,
          depending on the cam and timing. <br>
          <br>
          Good luck trying to 'steal' from an airport--when I owned
          airplanes I would occasionally get some--but the fuel
          providers aren't likely to be enthusiastic about selling it to
          you. Technically, you would owe 'road tax,' and the stuff is
          full of TEL and highly toxic (don't breathe any of it and
          don't let it get on your skin). <br>
          <br>
          * not technically 'vapor lock,' but the alcohol vaporizes and
          cavitates the fuel next to the exhaust manifold, causing some
          stumbling for a mile or so.<br>
          <br>
          Bob<br>
          <br>
        </div>
        <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 7:45 AM, carl and gerry
          rubino via Healeys wrote:</div>
        <blockquote>A message from Canada. For the last 30 years I have
          been running my 100/6 on 93 gas with no alcohol.
          <div>In its infinite wisdom our government is going to
            legislate alcohol in all grades of gas.</div>
          <div>Other than stealing gas from an airport any
            recommendations to deal with this?</div>
        </blockquote>
        <div> </div>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------J28Ora3KvYMA09IrGDLAEtVR--

--===============7107255119529591786==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7107255119529591786==--

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2024 06:07:29 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2678859604632956345==
 boundary="------------Zyh0W6vKtIL0rt800ln7PuoN"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------Zyh0W6vKtIL0rt800ln7PuoN
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Around here, 93 octane cost $1 more a gallon than regular (87 octane).

Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar

On 9/2/24 15:19, Bob Spidell via Healeys wrote:
> is probably minimal (the Penn State article didn't give the blend 
> ratio, but 102 over 100 isn't much regardless). You can refine 
> 100-octane gas from crude, but it would probably cost $10/gallon or 
> more; and running E85 allows compression ratios to be raised for 
> better efficiency and performance. That's why TEL was developed: to 
> cheaply increase fuel detonation resistance while simultaneously 
> poisoning every living thing on the planet.
>
> just in our Healeys. Also surprising to me, as ethanol has a lower 
> vapor pressure than gasoline--I'd assumed the opposite--but blending 
> them increases vapor pressure.
>
> "... Gasoline vapor lock causes engines to stall, mostly when the car 
> is in traffic and temperature is rising high. Similarly when a car is 
> that Gasoline vapors build a vapor lock, preventing the fuel in the 
> line from moving to the engine."
>
>> efficiencies than engines designed for and using gasoline."
>>
>>> longer than some. Best we can usually get is 91-octane; I was able 
>>> to buy higher-octane--93 and 100--fuel at times but, guess what: the 
>>> no visible degradation. Rubber components sold since the 
>>> introduction of gasahol are impervious to the stuff. Theoretically, 
>>> due to its oxygen content gasahol could cause an engine to run a 
>>> little lean, and at least one knowledgeable person recommends 
>>> changing to rich carb needles, but both my cars have long since been 
>>> tuned to run on it with std. needles. The BJ8 was rebuilt to 
>>> standard 9.1:1 compression ratio, the BN2 is a 100M and has the 
>>> 'high compression' 8.7:1 pistons. I've been told Healeys will run 
>>> fine on 91 up to about 11:1 compression, depending on the cam and 
>>> timing.
>>>
>>> Good luck trying to 'steal' from an airport--when I owned airplanes 
>>> I would occasionally get some--but the fuel providers aren't likely 
>>> to be enthusiastic about selling it to you. Technically, you would 
>>> owe 'road tax,' and the stuff is full of TEL and highly toxic (don't 
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
--------------Zyh0W6vKtIL0rt800ln7PuoN
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Around here, 93 octane cost $1 more a gallon than regular (87
      octane).<br>
    </p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar</pre>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/24 15:19, Bob Spidell via
      Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      CORRECTION: Hank is correct in that ethanol isn't necessarily used
      to boost octane in pump gas--my assumption was incorrect--it's
      only added because of the federal mandate. It can raise octane,
      though the effect is probably minimal (the Penn State article
      didn't give the blend ratio, but 102 over 100 isn't much
      regardless). You can refine 100-octane gas from crude, but it
      would probably cost $10/gallon or more; and running E85 allows
      compression ratios to be raised for better efficiency and
      performance. That's why TEL was developed: to cheaply increase
      fuel detonation resistance while simultaneously poisoning every
      living thing on the planet.<br>
      <br>
      In digging further, I came across this, which pretty much
      acknowledges what a lot of us suspected: ethanol in gas causes
      vapor lock, and not just in our Healeys. Also surprising to me, as
      ethanol has a lower vapor pressure than gasoline--I'd assumed the
      opposite--but blending them increases vapor pressure.<br>
      <br>
      "... Gasoline vapor lock causes engines to stall, mostly when the
      car is in traffic and temperature is rising high. Similarly when a
      car is parked for a short period of time the heated motor won´t
      start. The higher the temperature, the higher the altitude, the
      more likely it is that Gasoline vapors build a vapor lock,
      preventing the fuel in the line from moving to the engine."<br>
      <br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.grabner-instruments.com/-/media/ametekgrabnerinstruments/files/pdfs/application--vapor-pressure--vl-ratio-of-gasolineethanol-blends.pdf?la=en&amp;revision=00f78dc8-029e-4481-ba85-e640bdc7e338"
        moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.grabner-instruments.com/-/media/ametekgrabnerinstruments/files/pdfs/application--vapor-pressure--vl-ratio-of-gasolineethanol-blends.pdf?la=en&amp;revision=00f78dc8-029e-4481-ba85-e640bdc7e338</a><br>
      <br>
      Note there is some effort to change all gas to 93-octane only,
      which would accommodate all engines and simplify the refining and
      delivery process. We can hope, I guess.<br>
      <br>
      Bob<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 10:32 AM, Bob Spidell via
        Healeys wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
        cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
          content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
        "Ethanol boosts the octane number of fuel, which helps prevent
        pre-ignition knock. Incidentally, the octane rating system for
        fuels was originally developed by Penn State chemist Russell
        Marker in the 1920s. The octane rating (Anti-Knock Index, AKI)
        of normal unleaded gasoline in the United States is 87. The
        octane rating of pure ethanol is 100. What's interesting is that
        when ethanol is blended with gasoline, it performs as if its
        octane rating is 112, making ethanol a very effective octane
        booster when used in gasoline. High octane is one reason why
        NASCAR uses ethanol for their high-compression racing engines.
        Engines that are designed and optimized for ethanol fuel have
        the potential to run at higher efficiencies than engines
        designed for and using gasoline."<br>
        <br>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
          href="https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain"
          moz-do-not-send="true">https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethanol-hero-or-villain</a><br>
        <br>
        <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 10:19 AM, Hank Leach
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote type="cite"
          cite="mid:[email-masked]">
          <meta http-equiv="content-type"
            content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
          <div>Ethanol will not raise the octane level of fuel-only the
            "tanes" shown on the chart affect boost and the higher the
            tane the more expensive the fuel.</div>
          <div>If you procure fuel from an airport spout for road use
            there is a hefty fine (about $50K I think) and maybe jail
            time,  so they won't sell you any.  If clear gas (no eth) is
            not available you are stuck with ethanol. Hank</div>
          <div><br>
            -------------------- <br>
            <br>
            From: "Bob Spidell via Healeys" <a
              class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
            <br>
            Reply-To: "Bob Spidell" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
            <br>
            To: <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
            <br>
            Sent: September 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM PDT <br>
            Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas/alcohol <br>
            Living in California, I have been running 'gasahol' in all
            my cars longer than some. Best we can usually get is
            91-octane; I was able to buy higher-octane--93 and 100--fuel
            at times but, guess what: the octane was boosted with
            ethanol (added water to some and measured before and after;
            don't recall the exact mix but IIRC I figured it was 10%
            ethanol; standard from the pump seems to be about 8%).<br>
            <br>
            I have about 140K miles on my BJ8 running mostly 91-octane
            gasahol, and there have been no negative effects save some
            'vapor lock*' on starting when hot. I replaced the hard line
            to carburettor flex line that had been on the car for a
            couple decades and, except for it being a little stiff there
            was no visible degradation. About 8 years ago I put a new
            carb jet in pure/denatured ethanol and there is also no
            visible degradation. Rubber components sold since the
            introduction of gasahol are impervious to the stuff.
            Theoretically, due to its oxygen content gasahol could cause
            an engine to run a little lean, and at least one
            knowledgeable person recommends changing to rich carb
            needles, but both my cars have long since been tuned to run
            on it with std. needles. The BJ8 was rebuilt to standard
            9.1:1 compression ratio, the BN2 is a 100M and has the 'high
            compression' 8.7:1 pistons. I've been told Healeys will run
            fine on 91 up to about 11:1 compression, depending on the
            cam and timing. <br>
            <br>
            Good luck trying to 'steal' from an airport--when I owned
            airplanes I would occasionally get some--but the fuel
            providers aren't likely to be enthusiastic about selling it
            to you. Technically, you would owe 'road tax,' and the stuff
            is full of TEL and highly toxic (don't breathe any of it and
            don't let it get on your skin). <br>
            <br>
            * not technically 'vapor lock,' but the alcohol vaporizes
            and cavitates the fuel next to the exhaust manifold, causing
            some stumbling for a mile or so.<br>
            <br>
            Bob<br>
            <br>
          </div>
          <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/2/2024 7:45 AM, carl and
            gerry rubino via Healeys wrote:</div>
          <blockquote>A message from Canada. For the last 30 years I
            have been running my 100/6 on 93 gas with no alcohol.
            <div>In its infinite wisdom our government is going to
              legislate alcohol in all grades of gas.</div>
            <div>Other than stealing gas from an airport any
              recommendations to deal with this?</div>
          </blockquote>
          <div> </div>
        </blockquote>
        <br>
        <br>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------Zyh0W6vKtIL0rt800ln7PuoN--

--===============2678859604632956345==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2678859604632956345==--