Subject: [Healeys] Downpipes

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 20:32:54 -0700

Listers,

The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a section of 
flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I've always 
assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and the fact 
the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least, until the 
rubber part disintegrates). I've also heard the flexpipe is to allow 
easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't necessarily 
be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.

I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm considering 
an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The repop down 
pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes in contact 
with it at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this is common in the 
repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be tacky and 
sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me even 
more). But, the AHS pipe doesn't have the section of flexpipe so I'm 
wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not terrible with 
it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS, which I'm not 
practiced in welding.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys