Subject: Re: [Healeys] Downpipes

From: Robert Markovich via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 11:55:27 +0000 (UTC)

--===============6899221393273608388==
	boundary="----=_Part_10036922_1720680888.1726746927563"

------=_Part_10036922_1720680888.1726746927563
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Try Ah Spares for the down pipe, which is mostly to accommodate engine rock=
ing without the exhaust system cracking. You can also bring the car to a go=
od muffler shop that does custom fabricating and have them weld in a sectio=
n of woven stainless flex pipe like the kind used on todays cars for the sa=
me reason. Had that on two Healeys so far and it=E2=80=99s muc=C2=A0more ro=
bust than the standard flex pipe.=C2=A0

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Wednesday, September 18, 2024, 11:45 PM, Bob Spidell via Healeys <healey=
[email-masked]> wrote:

Listers,

The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a section of=20
flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I've always=20
assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and the fact=20
the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least, until the=20
rubber part disintegrates). I've also heard the flexpipe is to allow=20
easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't necessarily=20
be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.

I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm considering=20
an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The repop down=20
pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes in contact=20
with it at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this is common in the=20
repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be tacky and=20
sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me even=20
more). But, the AHS pipe doesn't have the section of flexpipe so I'm=20
wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not terrible with=20
it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS, which I'm not=20
practiced in welding.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archiv=
e/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

[email-masked]

------=_Part_10036922_1720680888.1726746927563
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microso=
ft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><head><!--[=
if gte mso 9]><xml><o:OfficeDocumentSettings><o:AllowPNG/><o:PixelsPerInch>=
96</o:PixelsPerInch></o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif]--></head><bo=
dy>
Try Ah Spares for the down pipe, which is mostly to accommodate engine rock=
ing without the exhaust system cracking. You can also bring the car to a go=
od muffler shop that does custom fabricating and have them weld in a sectio=
n of woven stainless flex pipe like the kind used on todays cars for the sa=
me reason. Had that on two Healeys so far and it=E2=80=99s muc&nbsp;more ro=
bust than the standard flex pipe.&nbsp;<br><br><br><div class=3D"yahoo-sign=
ature"><a style=3D"font-size:12px" href=3D"https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ao=
l-news-email-weather-video/id646100661">Sent from the all new AOL app for i=
OS</a><br></div><br><p class=3D"yahoo-quoted-begin" style=3D"font-size: 15p=
x; color: rgb(132, 115, 255); padding-top: 15px; margin-top: 0px;">On Wedne=
sday, September 18, 2024, 11:45 PM, Bob Spidell via Healeys &lt;healeys@aut=
ox.team.net&gt; wrote:</p><blockquote class=3D"iosymail"><div dir=3D"ltr">L=
isters,<br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">The exhaust do=
wnpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a section of <br></div><div dir=3D"=
ltr">flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I've always <br>=
</div><div dir=3D"ltr">assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the eng=
ine, and the fact <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">the system is affixed with fai=
rly rigid hangers (at least, until the <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">rubber pa=
rt disintegrates). I've also heard the flexpipe is to allow <br></div><div =
dir=3D"ltr">easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't ne=
cessarily <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">be perfectly aligned. Of course, both =
reasons could be true.<br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"=
>I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm considering <br=
></div><div dir=3D"ltr">an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100=
M. The repop down <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">pipe I have now is malformed, =
and the clutch pedal arm comes in contact <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">with i=
t at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this is common in the <br></div><div=
 dir=3D"ltr">repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be=
 tacky and <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">sometimes that can cause a ticking no=
ise, which would annoy me even <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">more). But, the A=
HS pipe doesn't have the section of flexpipe so I'm <br></div><div dir=3D"l=
tr">wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not terrible with=
 <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">it, but the header and, presumably the flex tub=
ing are SS, which I'm not <br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">practiced in welding.<=
br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks for any suggest=
ions.<br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">Bob<br></div><di=
v dir=3D"ltr">_______________________________________________<br></div><div=
 dir=3D"ltr">Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br></div><div dir=3D"l=
tr">Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></=
div><div dir=3D"ltr">Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/heal=
eys" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D=
"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/archive/healeys</a><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"lt=
r"><a ymailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" href=3D"mailto:Healeys@auto=
x.team.net">[email-masked]</a><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><a href=3D=
"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></=
div><div dir=3D"ltr">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/m=
ailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br></div><div dir=3D=
"ltr"><br></div><blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
</body></html>
------=_Part_10036922_1720680888.1726746927563--

--===============6899221393273608388==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6899221393273608388==--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 07:52:55 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2969831116428033033==
 boundary="------------dTjE08nMTEpX0IiRBxunkakW"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------dTjE08nMTEpX0IiRBxunkakW
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Good idea. Thanks.

The header is from AH Spares--originally from Cape Sports--anyone have 
any experience with it?

bs

On 9/19/2024 4:55 AM, Robert Markovich wrote:
> Try Ah Spares for the down pipe, which is mostly to accommodate engine 
> rocking without the exhaust system cracking. You can also bring the 
> car to a good muffler shop that does custom fabricating and have them 
> weld in a section of woven stainless flex pipe like the kind used on 
> todays cars for the same reason. Had that on two Healeys so far and 
> it’s muc more robust than the standard flex pipe.
>
>
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aol-news-email-weather-video/id646100661>
>
> On Wednesday, September 18, 2024, 11:45 PM, Bob Spidell via Healeys 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>     Listers,
>
>     The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a section of
>     flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I've always
>     assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and the fact
>     the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least, until the
>     rubber part disintegrates). I've also heard the flexpipe is to allow
>     easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't
>     necessarily
>     I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm
>     considering
>     an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The repop down
>     pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes in
>     contact
>     with it at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this is common in the
>     repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be
>     tacky and
>     sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me even
>     more). But, the AHS pipe doesn't have the section of flexpipe so I'm
>     wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not terrible
>     with
>     it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS, which
>     I'm not
>     practiced in welding.
>
>     Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------dTjE08nMTEpX0IiRBxunkakW
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Good idea. Thanks.<br>
    <br>
    The header is from AH Spares--originally from Cape Sports--anyone
    have any experience with it?<br>
    <br>
    bs<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/19/2024 4:55 AM, Robert Markovich
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml><o:OfficeDocumentSettings><o:AllowPNG/><o:PixelsPerInch>96</o:PixelsPerInch></o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif]-->
      Try Ah Spares for the down pipe, which is mostly to accommodate
      engine rocking without the exhaust system cracking. You can also
      bring the car to a good muffler shop that does custom fabricating
      and have them weld in a section of woven stainless flex pipe like
      the kind used on todays cars for the same reason. Had that on two
      Healeys so far and it’s muc more robust than the standard flex
      pipe. <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class="yahoo-signature"><a style="font-size:12px"
href="https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aol-news-email-weather-video/id646100661"
          moz-do-not-send="true">Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS</a><br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <p class="yahoo-quoted-begin"
style="font-size: 15px; color: rgb(132, 115, 255); padding-top: 15px; margin-top: 0px;">On
        Wednesday, September 18, 2024, 11:45 PM, Bob Spidell via Healeys
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> wrote:</p>
      <blockquote class="iosymail">
        <div dir="ltr">Listers,<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars
          have a section of <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">flexible tubing before the connection to the
          muffler. I've always <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the
          engine, and the fact <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers
          (at least, until the <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">rubber part disintegrates). I've also heard the
          flexpipe is to allow <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler,
          which won't necessarily <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons
          could be true.<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List
          because I'm considering <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my
          BN2/100M. The repop down <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch
          pedal arm comes in contact <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">with it at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this
          is common in the <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but
          that would be tacky and <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which
          would annoy me even <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">more). But, the AHS pipe doesn't have the section
          of flexpipe so I'm <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and
          I'm not terrible with <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">it, but the header and, presumably the flex
          tubing are SS, which I'm not <br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">practiced in welding.<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">Thanks for any suggestions.<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">Bob<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">_______________________________________________<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">Support Team.Net <a
            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">Archive: <a
            href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><a
            href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------dTjE08nMTEpX0IiRBxunkakW--

--===============2969831116428033033==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2969831116428033033==--

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 10:50:14 -0500

--===============6384747599716545659==

--00000000000023c35206227aed27

Hi Bob, after searching in vain for a company in NA I finally found a
company in Christchurch New Zealand who were able to bend some 2" exhaust
tube to exactly the correct shape based on the original drawings of which I
have a copy. To that pipe I TIG welded a new flange, which I had flame cut,
and a section of flex pipe of the correct type but made from
stainless steel. The whole process was a little expensive but this has been
on my BN1 for 10 years and many thousands of miles.
I had the need to remove it this summer and the flex is as flexible as it
was when installed and serving its purpose admirably and the mild steel
tubing has still got some of the high temperature paint on it.
I'm not a brilliant welder but I certainly managed to produce a very
satisfactory weld.

M

On Wed., Sep. 18, 2024, 10:36 p.m. Bob Spidell via Healeys, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't necessarily
> I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm considering
> pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes in contact
> repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be tacky and
> wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not terrible with
> it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS, which I'm not
> practiced in welding.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000023c35206227aed27
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Hi Bob, after searching in vain for a company in NA I fin=
ally found a company in Christchurch New Zealand who were able to bend some=
 2&quot; exhaust tube to exactly the correct shape based on the original dr=
awings of which I have a copy. To that pipe I TIG welded a new flange, whic=
h I had flame cut, and a section of flex pipe of the correct type but made =
from=C2=A0 stainless=C2=A0steel. The whole process was a little expensive b=
ut this has been on my BN1 for 10 years and many thousands of miles.=C2=A0<=
div dir=3D"auto">I had the need to remove it this summer and the flex is as=
 flexible as it was when installed and serving its purpose admirably and th=
e mild steel tubing has still got some of the high temperature paint on it.=
</div><div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m not a brilliant welder but I certainly mana=
ged to produce a very satisfactory weld.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br><=
/div><div dir=3D"auto">M</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div></div><br><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed., Sep. 18,=
 2024, 10:36 p.m. Bob Spidell via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@au=
tox.team.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
<br>
The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a section of <br>
flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I&#39;ve always <br>
assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and the fact <br>
the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least, until the <br>
rubber part disintegrates). I&#39;ve also heard the flexpipe is to allow <b=
r>
easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won&#39;t necessaril=
y <br>
be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.<br>
<br>
I&#39;m asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I&#39;m consider=
ing <br>
an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The repop down <br>
pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes in contact <br=
with it at full clutch pedal, and I&#39;ve heard this is common in the <br>
repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be tacky and <b=
r>
sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me even <br>
more). But, the AHS pipe doesn&#39;t have the section of flexpipe so I&#39;=
m <br>
wondering if it&#39;s really needed. I have a TIG and I&#39;m not terrible =
with <br>
it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS, which I&#39;m no=
t <br>
practiced in welding.<br>
<br>
Thanks for any suggestions.<br>
<br>
Bob<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><b=
r>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000023c35206227aed27--

--===============6384747599716545659==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6384747599716545659==--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 09:01:29 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7448801092729538452==
 boundary="------------1CIjA9gjG0Gv3HaIklyotv0I"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------1CIjA9gjG0Gv3HaIklyotv0I
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Thanks, Michael.

Sounds like you have an 'oversized' exhaust; I think the original system 
is 1.75" (that's what AHS says theirs is). I'd hope a header would give 
a couple more HP.

Bob

On 9/19/2024 8:50 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> company in Christchurch New Zealand who were able to bend some 2" 
> exhaust tube to exactly the correct shape based on the original 
> drawings of which I have a copy. To that pipe I TIG welded a new 
> flange, which I had flame cut, and a section of flex pipe of the 
> correct type but made from stainless steel. The whole process was a 
> little expensive but this has been on my BN1 for 10 years and many 
> thousands of miles.
> I had the need to remove it this summer and the flex is as flexible as 
> it was when installed and serving its purpose admirably and the mild 
> steel tubing has still got some of the high temperature paint on it.
> On Wed., Sep. 18, 2024, 10:36 p.m. Bob Spidell via Healeys, 

--------------1CIjA9gjG0Gv3HaIklyotv0I
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Thanks, Michael.<br>
    <br>
    Sounds like you have an 'oversized' exhaust; I think the original
    system is 1.75" (that's what AHS says theirs is). I'd hope a header
    would give a couple more HP.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/19/2024 8:50 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">Hi Bob, after searching in vain for a company in
        NA I finally found a company in Christchurch New Zealand who
        were able to bend some 2" exhaust tube to exactly the correct
        shape based on the original drawings of which I have a copy. To
        that pipe I TIG welded a new flange, which I had flame cut, and
        a section of flex pipe of the correct type but made from 
        stainless steel. The whole process was a little expensive but
        this has been on my BN1 for 10 years and many thousands of
        miles. 
        <div dir="auto">I had the need to remove it this summer and the
          flex is as flexible as it was when installed and serving its
          purpose admirably and the mild steel tubing has still got some
          of the high temperature paint on it.</div>
        <div dir="auto">I'm not a brilliant welder but I certainly
          managed to produce a very satisfactory weld. </div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">M</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed., Sep. 18, 2024, 10:36
          p.m. Bob Spidell via Healeys, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
          <br>
          The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a
          section of <br>
          flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I've
          always <br>
          assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and
          the fact <br>
          the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least,
          until the <br>
          rubber part disintegrates). I've also heard the flexpipe is to
          allow <br>
          easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't
          necessarily <br>
          be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.<br>
          <br>
          I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm
          considering <br>
          an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The
          repop down <br>
          pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes
          in contact <br>
          with it at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this is common in
          the <br>
          repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be
          tacky and <br>
          sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me
          even <br>
          more). But, the AHS pipe doesn't have the section of flexpipe
          so I'm <br>
          wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not
          terrible with <br>
          it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS,
          which I'm not <br>
          practiced in welding.<br>
          <br>
          Thanks for any suggestions.<br>
          <br>
          Bob<br>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------1CIjA9gjG0Gv3HaIklyotv0I--

--===============7448801092729538452==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7448801092729538452==--

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 11:58:45 -0500

--===============8318399308574695759==

--00000000000098476e06227bd611

I'm at Conclave Bob and going from memory (which isn't what it used to be).
The downpipe I made is for a 100 and is the original diameter.
I  seem to recall that they were 2" for the 100 and 1.75 for the 6 cylinder
cars but could be wrong.

M

On Thu., Sep. 19, 2024, 11:02 a.m. Bob Spidell, <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> is 1.75" (that's what AHS says theirs is). I'd hope a header would give a
> couple more HP.
>
> Bob
>

--00000000000098476e06227bd611
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m at Conclave Bob and going from memory (which isn&=
#39;t what it used to be).=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">The downpipe I made is fo=
r a 100 and is the original diameter.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">I=C2=A0 =
seem to recall that they were 2&quot; for the 100 and 1.75 for the 6 cylind=
er cars but could be wrong.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=
=3D"auto">M</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_=
quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu., Sep. 19, 2024, 11:02 =
a.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">bspidell@comc=
ast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    Thanks, Michael.<br>
    <br>
    Sounds like you have an &#39;oversized&#39; exhaust; I think the origin=
al
    system is 1.75&quot; (that&#39;s what AHS says theirs is). I&#39;d hope=
 a header
    would give a couple more HP.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div>On 9/19/2024 8:50 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"auto">Hi Bob, after searching in vain for a company in
        NA I finally found a company in Christchurch New Zealand who
        were able to bend some 2&quot; exhaust tube to exactly the correct
        shape based on the original drawings of which I have a copy. To
        that pipe I TIG welded a new flange, which I had flame cut, and
        a section of flex pipe of the correct type but made from=C2=A0
        stainless=C2=A0steel. The whole process was a little expensive but
        this has been on my BN1 for 10 years and many thousands of
        miles.=C2=A0
        <div dir=3D"auto">I had the need to remove it this summer and the
          flex is as flexible as it was when installed and serving its
          purpose admirably and the mild steel tubing has still got some
          of the high temperature paint on it.</div>
        <div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m not a brilliant welder but I certainly
          managed to produce a very satisfactory weld.=C2=A0</div>
        <div dir=3D"auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir=3D"auto">M</div>
        <div dir=3D"auto"><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class=3D"gmail_quote">
        <div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed., Sep. 18, 2024, 10:36
          p.m. Bob Spidell via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox=
.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&=
gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border=
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
          <br>
          The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a
          section of <br>
          flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I&#39;ve
          always <br>
          assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and
          the fact <br>
          the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least,
          until the <br>
          rubber part disintegrates). I&#39;ve also heard the flexpipe is t=
o
          allow <br>
          easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won&#39;t
          necessarily <br>
          be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.<br>
          <br>
          I&#39;m asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I&#39;=
m
          considering <br>
          an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The
          repop down <br>
          pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes
          in contact <br>
          with it at full clutch pedal, and I&#39;ve heard this is common i=
n
          the <br>
          repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be
          tacky and <br>
          sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me
          even <br>
          more). But, the AHS pipe doesn&#39;t have the section of flexpipe
          so I&#39;m <br>
          wondering if it&#39;s really needed. I have a TIG and I&#39;m not
          terrible with <br>
          it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS,
          which I&#39;m not <br>
          practiced in welding.<br>
          <br>
          Thanks for any suggestions.<br>
          <br>
          Bob<br>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel=
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net=
/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D=
"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pi=
permail/healeys</a>
          <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/h=
ealeys</a><br>
          <br>
          <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noref=
errer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br>
          <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D=
"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/=
mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/healeys/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaels=
[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </div>

</blockquote></div>

--00000000000098476e06227bd611--

--===============8318399308574695759==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8318399308574695759==--

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 09:38:49 +0800

--===============7479766495801837832==

--00000000000004104f0622bf745c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bob -

The flexpipe is there specifically because prior to 1953 or so, many
English cars had their exhaust systems bolted to the frame of the car, so
the flexpipe was needed to account for the lateral movement of the motor.
The flexpipe also made installation easier.  On my A90 I had to craft  its
own exhaust mount system, which works well.  Definitely no need for it if
the pipes are custom fit.  I think in the case of the healey, they kept the
flexpipe to allow for some give in installing mass produced pipes with
varying tolerances.

Cheers,

Alan

On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 11:44=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell via Healeys <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000004104f0622bf745c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Bob -<div><br></div><div>The flexpipe is there specificall=
y because prior to 1953 or so, many English cars had their exhaust systems =
bolted to the frame of the car, so the flexpipe was needed to account for t=
he lateral movement of the motor.=C2=A0 The flexpipe also made installation=
 easier.=C2=A0 On my A90 I had to craft=C2=A0 its own exhaust mount system,=
 which works well.=C2=A0 Definitely no need for it if the pipes are custom =
fit.=C2=A0 I think in the case of the healey, they kept the flexpipe to all=
ow for some give in installing mass produced pipes with varying tolerances.=
</div><div><br></div><div>Cheers,<br><br>Alan</div></div><br><div class=3D"=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at =
11:44=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@auto=
x.team.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote clas=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid r=
gb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
<br>
The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a section of <br>
flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I&#39;ve always <br>
assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and the fact <br>
the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least, until the <br>
rubber part disintegrates). I&#39;ve also heard the flexpipe is to allow <b=
r>
easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won&#39;t necessaril=
y <br>
be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.<br>
<br>
I&#39;m asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I&#39;m consider=
ing <br>
an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The repop down <br>
pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes in contact <br=
with it at full clutch pedal, and I&#39;ve heard this is common in the <br>
repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be tacky and <b=
r>
sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me even <br>
more). But, the AHS pipe doesn&#39;t have the section of flexpipe so I&#39;=
m <br>
wondering if it&#39;s really needed. I have a TIG and I&#39;m not terrible =
with <br>
it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS, which I&#39;m no=
t <br>
practiced in welding.<br>
<br>
Thanks for any suggestions.<br>
<br>
Bob<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000004104f0622bf745c--

--===============7479766495801837832==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7479766495801837832==--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 19:52:39 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8057199711195896201==
 boundary="------------wru4yv3EeGm0xmrA2uV3Npcp"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------wru4yv3EeGm0xmrA2uV3Npcp
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Thanks, Alan. I kinda suspected this, but I still can't decide if it's 
needed with rigid headers headers. My systems are bolted to the frame, 
but with a rubber pad which allows some movement (especially when they 
tear themselves in two). Contemporary cars mostly let the exhaust hang 
loosely and don't seem to need any flexibility in the pipes.

If I install the header, and it doesn't line up, I'd have to take it off 
and weld some flex pipe to it (decisions, decisions). WIW, AHS sales 
guy--who's been very responsive--says they don't hear of any problems 
(but likely don't know what customers do).

Bob

On 9/22/2024 6:38 PM, Alan Seigrist wrote:
> English cars had their exhaust systems bolted to the frame of the car, 
> so the flexpipe was needed to account for the lateral movement of the 
> motor.  The flexpipe also made installation easier.  On my A90 I had 
> to craft  its own exhaust mount system, which works well.  Definitely 
> no need for it if the pipes are custom fit.  I think in the case of 
> the healey, they kept the flexpipe to allow for some give in 
> installing mass produced pipes with varying tolerances.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 11:44 AM Bob Spidell via Healeys 

--------------wru4yv3EeGm0xmrA2uV3Npcp
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Thanks, Alan. I kinda suspected this, but I still can't decide if
    it's needed with rigid headers headers. My systems are bolted to the
    frame, but with a rubber pad which allows some movement (especially
    when they tear themselves in two). Contemporary cars mostly let the
    exhaust hang loosely and don't seem to need any flexibility in the
    pipes.<br>
    <br>
    If I install the header, and it doesn't line up, I'd have to take it
    off and weld some flex pipe to it (decisions, decisions). WIW, AHS
    sales guy--who's been very responsive--says they don't hear of any
    problems (but likely don't know what customers do). <br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/22/2024 6:38 PM, Alan Seigrist
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Bob -
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>The flexpipe is there specifically because prior to 1953 or
          so, many English cars had their exhaust systems bolted to the
          frame of the car, so the flexpipe was needed to account for
          the lateral movement of the motor.  The flexpipe also made
          installation easier.  On my A90 I had to craft  its own
          exhaust mount system, which works well.  Definitely no need
          for it if the pipes are custom fit.  I think in the case of
          the healey, they kept the flexpipe to allow for some give in
          installing mass produced pipes with varying tolerances.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Cheers,<br>
          <br>
          Alan</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at
          11:44 AM Bob Spidell via Healeys &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
          <br>
          The exhaust downpipes for both 4- and 6-cyl cars have a
          section of <br>
          flexible tubing before the connection to the muffler. I've
          always <br>
          assumed this was to allow for the rocking of the engine, and
          the fact <br>
          the system is affixed with fairly rigid hangers (at least,
          until the <br>
          rubber part disintegrates). I've also heard the flexpipe is to
          allow <br>
          easier fitment from the downpipe to the muffler, which won't
          necessarily <br>
          be perfectly aligned. Of course, both reasons could be true.<br>
          <br>
          I'm asking the knowledge-based, LLM model List because I'm
          considering <br>
          an aftermarket header from AH Spares for my BN2/100M. The
          repop down <br>
          pipe I have now is malformed, and the clutch pedal arm comes
          in contact <br>
          with it at full clutch pedal, and I've heard this is common in
          the <br>
          repops (yes, I could just bash the downpipe, but that would be
          tacky and <br>
          sometimes that can cause a ticking noise, which would annoy me
          even <br>
          more). But, the AHS pipe doesn't have the section of flexpipe
          so I'm <br>
          wondering if it's really needed. I have a TIG and I'm not
          terrible with <br>
          it, but the header and, presumably the flex tubing are SS,
          which I'm not <br>
          practiced in welding.<br>
          <br>
          Thanks for any suggestions.<br>
          <br>
          Bob<br>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------wru4yv3EeGm0xmrA2uV3Npcp--

--===============8057199711195896201==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8057199711195896201==--