Subject: [Healeys] Solder joints

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:02:39 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0201861099299242073==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002F_01D9F5E9.20BF18C0"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D9F5E9.20BF18C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Interesting replies. Thanks.

The thing that I particularly wondered about was the melting point of the
solder. I'd be pretty careful of any heat gun that would melt "proper"
solder. In fact, I'd probably call it a blow lamp and have corresponding
safety concerns.

The waterproof claim isn't so much of a worry as I discount 99% of such
claims as no better than "water resistant" which, you'd hope, is sufficient
for day to day Healey usage.

Personally, I'll stick to the old twist the wires together, solder then heat
shrink.

For crimp connectors, I tend to strip off the plastic, tin the wire, slide
into the connector, crimp, solder then slide on a little heat shrink. Just
think that the coloured plastic looks incongruous in our old bangers.

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D9F5E9.20BF18C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Interesting replies. Thanks.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The thing that I particularly wondered about was the =
melting point of the solder. I&#8217;d be pretty careful of any heat gun =
that would melt &#8220;proper&#8221; solder. In fact, I&#8217;d probably =
call it a blow lamp and have corresponding safety =
concerns.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The waterproof claim =
isn&#8217;t so much of a worry as I discount 99% of such claims as no =
better than &#8220;water resistant&#8221; which, you&#8217;d hope, is =
sufficient for day to day Healey usage.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Personally, I&#8217;ll stick to the old twist the =
wires together, solder then heat shrink.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>For crimp connectors, I tend to strip off the plastic, =
tin the wire, slide into the connector, crimp, solder then slide on a =
little heat shrink. Just think that the coloured plastic looks =
incongruous in our old bangers.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D9F5E9.20BF18C0--

--===============0201861099299242073==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0201861099299242073==--