Subject: Re: [Healeys] DW overdrive piston

From: Warren Dietz via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 07:04:45 -0400

--===============3683114024997627525==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:sc=
hemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/of=
fice/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta ht=
tp-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta name=
=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D=
'word-wrap:break-word'><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I rep=
laced accumulator piston, if that is what you are referencing, from AH Spar=
es a few years ago and could not be more satisfied. I preferred the rubber =
O ring vs the metal. Did it myself in situ with guidance and support from</=
p><p class=3DMsoNormal>this Healey community!</p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>=
&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><a href=3D"https://www.ahspares.co.uk/=
austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumul=
ator-piston.aspx">https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-part=
s/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx</a></p><p cla=
ss=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sent from <a href=
=3D"https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986">Mail</a> for Windows<=
/p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div style=3D'mso-element:para=
-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0i=
n 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'border:none;padding:0in'><b>From: </b>=
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Joseph Costa</a><br><b>Sent: </b>Wedn=
esday, August 3, 2022 1:09 AM<br><b>To: </b><a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox=
.team.net">Healeys at Autox</a><br><b>Subject: </b>[Healeys] DW overdrive p=
iston</p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMs=
oNormal>Has anyone installed their upgraded overdrive piston?&nbsp; If so, =
is it worth the trouble ?</p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p=
></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Joe&nbsp;</p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNor=
mal>BN1 #923</p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></ht=
ml>=

--===============3683114024997627525==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3683114024997627525==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 06:01:13 -0700

I put one in my BJ8's O/D. It's subjective*--O/Ds seem to work a little 
quicker with cold, thick oil than hot oil--but it cuts maybe a third off 
engagement time on average. I had the O/D on the bench and disassembled, 
and the current one had a scored barrel so, why not? Engagement isn't 
much, if any, harsher than before which, I believe is the reason DMH 
wanted the weaker, smaller spring. If I'd known about it, I might have 
bought AHSpares' with an O-ring instead.

* I've never really 'timed' O/D functioning, it would be a bit awkward; 
anyone done it? I usually tap the clutch pedal when engaging O/D, and 
give a little throttle when disengaging. I thought mine engaged a little 
quicker when I switched to synthetic fluid from engine oil, but in all 
cases confirmation bias may be involved.

On 8/2/2022 8:09 PM, Joseph Costa wrote:
> Has anyone installed their upgraded overdrive piston?  If so, is it 
> worth the trouble ?
>
> Joe
> BN1 #923
>

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:20:03 -0400

--===============8449604631786747851==

--000000000000c303a305e5589bfb

I have a question about the "O" ring type of accumulator.
The way the accumulator works is that when it is fully charged the piston
moves against the spring until the rings reach the radial holes in the wall
of the housing which acts to relieve any excess pressure.
My concern is that at 3 - 400 p.s.i. oil will obviously get behind the "O"
ring and force the material of the "O" ring into those radial holes and
then, as the piston moves back over them, a piece of the ring will shear
off.
I'm guessing that Laycock-DeNormanville used the complex cast iron rings
rather than "O" rings because they recognized the possibility of this
happening.
I'm sure that tiny pieces of the "O" ring would be found in the filter if
this was a problem. Anyone found them or noticed damage to their
accumulator "O" ring upon disassembly?

M

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:08 AM Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000c303a305e5589bfb
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:small">I have a question about the &quot;O&quot; ring ty=
pe of accumulator.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:a=
rial,sans-serif;font-size:small">The way the accumulator works is that when=
 it is fully charged the piston moves against the spring until the rings re=
ach the radial holes in the wall of the housing which acts to relieve any e=
xcess pressure.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:aria=
l,sans-serif;font-size:small">My concern is that at 3 - 400 p.s.i. oil will=
 obviously get behind the &quot;O&quot; ring and force the material of the =
&quot;O&quot; ring into those radial holes and then, as the piston moves ba=
ck over them, a piece of the ring will shear off.</div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I&#39;m gue=
ssing that Laycock-DeNormanville used the complex cast iron rings rather th=
an &quot;O&quot; rings because they recognized the possibility of this happ=
ening. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:small"></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I&#39;m sure that tiny pieces of t=
he &quot;O&quot; ring would be found in the filter if this was a problem. A=
nyone found them or noticed damage to their accumulator &quot;O&quot; ring =
upon disassembly?<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-famil=
y:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br></div><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">=
<br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gm=
ail_attr">On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:08 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockqu=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I put one in my BJ8&#39;s O/D. It=
&#39;s subjective*--O/Ds seem to work a little <br>
quicker with cold, thick oil than hot oil--but it cuts maybe a third off <b=
r>
engagement time on average. I had the O/D on the bench and disassembled, <b=
r>
and the current one had a scored barrel so, why not? Engagement isn&#39;t <=
br>
much, if any, harsher than before which, I believe is the reason DMH <br>
wanted the weaker, smaller spring. If I&#39;d known about it, I might have =
<br>
bought AHSpares&#39; with an O-ring instead.<br>
<br>
* I&#39;ve never really &#39;timed&#39; O/D functioning, it would be a bit =
awkward; <br>
anyone done it? I usually tap the clutch pedal when engaging O/D, and <br>
give a little throttle when disengaging. I thought mine engaged a little <b=
r>
quicker when I switched to synthetic fluid from engine oil, but in all <br>
cases confirmation bias may be involved.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
On 8/2/2022 8:09 PM, Joseph Costa wrote:<br>
&gt; Has anyone installed their upgraded overdrive piston?=C2=A0 If so, is =
it <br>
&gt; worth the trouble ?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Joe<br>
&gt; BN1 #923<br>
&gt;<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000c303a305e5589bfb--

--===============8449604631786747851==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8449604631786747851==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 11:17:43 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4496577282222739376==
 boundary="------------O6eAM81bLiJjgU6vuEUtmS2I"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------O6eAM81bLiJjgU6vuEUtmS2I
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Note Laycock went from steel rings to O-rings on the actuating pistons 
on the later cars. Went I overhauled my BJ8's O/D at about 205K miles 
the O-rings were in good shape, except for the wear you'd expect on the 
cylinder wall side (flat-sided).

On 8/3/2022 9:20 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> The way the accumulator works is that when it is fully charged the 
> piston moves against the spring until the rings reach the radial holes 
> in the wall of the housing which acts to relieve any excess pressure.
> My concern is that at 3 - 400 p.s.i. oil will obviously get behind the 
> "O" ring and force the material of the "O" ring into those radial 
> holes and then, as the piston moves back over them, a piece of the 
> ring will shear off.
> I'm guessing that Laycock-DeNormanville used the complex cast iron 
> rings rather than "O" rings because they recognized the possibility of 
> this happening.
> I'm sure that tiny pieces of the "O" ring would be found in the filter 
> if this was a problem. Anyone found them or noticed damage to their 
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------O6eAM81bLiJjgU6vuEUtmS2I
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Note Laycock went from steel rings to O-rings on the actuating
    pistons on the later cars. Went I overhauled my BJ8's O/D at about
    205K miles the O-rings were in good shape, except for the wear you'd
    expect on the cylinder wall side (flat-sided).<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/3/2022 9:20 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAB3i7LLr60MNWornPpzGrv2G0DGYE9paN2uVZu3fcA5o3f39=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have a
          question about the "O" ring type of accumulator.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">The way
          the accumulator works is that when it is fully charged the
          piston moves against the spring until the rings reach the
          radial holes in the wall of the housing which acts to relieve
          any excess pressure.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">My
          concern is that at 3 - 400 p.s.i. oil will obviously get
          behind the "O" ring and force the material of the "O" ring
          into those radial holes and then, as the piston moves back
          over them, a piece of the ring will shear off.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I'm
          guessing that Laycock-DeNormanville used the complex cast iron
          rings rather than "O" rings because they recognized the
          possibility of this happening. <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I'm sure
          that tiny pieces of the "O" ring would be found in the filter
          if this was a problem. Anyone found them or noticed damage to
          their accumulator "O" ring upon disassembly?<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:08 AM
          Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I
          put one in my BJ8's O/D. It's subjective*--O/Ds seem to work a
          little <br>
          quicker with cold, thick oil than hot oil--but it cuts maybe a
          third off <br>
          engagement time on average. I had the O/D on the bench and
          disassembled, <br>
          and the current one had a scored barrel so, why not?
          Engagement isn't <br>
          much, if any, harsher than before which, I believe is the
          reason DMH <br>
          wanted the weaker, smaller spring. If I'd known about it, I
          might have <br>
          bought AHSpares' with an O-ring instead.<br>
          <br>
          * I've never really 'timed' O/D functioning, it would be a bit
          awkward; <br>
          anyone done it? I usually tap the clutch pedal when engaging
          O/D, and <br>
          give a little throttle when disengaging. I thought mine
          engaged a little <br>
          quicker when I switched to synthetic fluid from engine oil,
          but in all <br>
          cases confirmation bias may be involved.<br>
          <br>
          <br>
          <br>
          On 8/2/2022 8:09 PM, Joseph Costa wrote:<br>
          &gt; Has anyone installed their upgraded overdrive piston?  If
          so, is it <br>
          &gt; worth the trouble ?<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Joe<br>
          &gt; BN1 #923<br>
          &gt;<br>
          <br>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------O6eAM81bLiJjgU6vuEUtmS2I--

--===============4496577282222739376==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4496577282222739376==--