Subject: [Healeys] Alternator not charging.

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 13:09:29 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7129026820890275067==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0003_01D89F5E.9C985200"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D89F5E.9C985200
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Yes, alternator. Negative earth.

So, it's apparently not charging. I get the same reading across the battery
when the engine is running as when it's switched off.

I looked in an old book of mine, written about the time our 3000s were
built, and it suggested that a possible cause for no charge reaching the
battery was that the earth strap was not connected or had degraded to
nothing.

Well, my strap is good and strong but, you may recall, that I had to remove
and replace my gearbox.God knows how often. (Overdrive and dud replacement
clutch kit) Did I replace the strap on the last occasion? I think so...But.

Well, it occurred to me that, if I ran a stout wire from the alternator body
to the battery's negative terminal, then that would act instead of the earth
strap.

I did that. Still no charge.

It's my belief that running that wire along was an adequate test of
earthing. Do you guys agree??

Plainly, I could get the car up on ramps again and check underneath but I
think that would be fruitless as well as tiresome and dirty....

Thanks,

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D89F5E.9C985200
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Yes, alternator. Negative earth.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>So, it&#8217;s apparently not charging. I get the same =
reading across the battery when the engine is running as when it&#8217;s =
switched off.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I looked in an old book =
of mine, written about the time our 3000s were built, and it suggested =
that a possible cause for no charge reaching the battery was that the =
earth strap was not connected or had degraded to =
nothing.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Well, my strap is good and =
strong but, you may recall, that I had to remove and replace my =
gearbox&#8230;God knows how often. (Overdrive and dud replacement clutch =
kit) Did I replace the strap on the last occasion? I think =
so&#8230;..But&#8230;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Well, it =
occurred to me that, if I ran a stout wire from the alternator body to =
the battery&#8217;s negative terminal, then that would act instead of =
the earth strap.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I did that. Still no =
charge.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>It&#8217;s my belief that =
running that wire along was an adequate test of earthing. Do you guys =
agree??<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Plainly, I could get the car =
up on ramps again and check underneath but I think that would be =
fruitless as well as tiresome and =
dirty&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D89F5E.9C985200--

--===============7129026820890275067==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7129026820890275067==--