Subject: [Healeys] Clutch

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:46:48 +0100 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01D79F48.94306420"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D79F48.94306420
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0008_01D79F48.94308B30"

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01D79F48.94308B30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

You will all be as sick of hearing about my OD as I am of lying underneath
it. I've decided to kick the whole thing into touch. I'll whip out the
gearbox (hah!) and drive it complete up to OD Spares who will sort it out
while I wait. Even if I have to wait all day. Beats making the round trip
twice.

Which leads me on to thinking about "what else to do when I'm in there"...

The clutch is the obvious candidate.

1.	I don't know how long is a piece of string, but is there a mean
average duration for a clutch in terms of miles? Not driven hard, just
driven.
2.	I see that people quite often sell the clutch as a kit consisting
in: the plate assembly, the cover and the release bearing. I thought that
one replaced the latter every time one got near it and that one replaced the
plate as and if needed. But - I thought - the cover is just a hunk of iron
and didn't ever need replacing. Am I right in any of that??
3.	Tools..I see a great variety. In shape, design and in cost. Broadly
speaking there are variations on A or B. The former seems elaborate and not
suited to someone who hopes to only ever change one clutch in his life. But
B is so very different from A that one wonders if it can do the same job..

Any thoughts on all or parts of the above would be very much appreciated.

Now to battle with the gearbox. Oh joy....

Simon

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01D79F48.94308B30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:1630739893;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:378538162 134807569 134807577 134807579 134807567 =
134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>You will all be as sick of hearing about my OD as I am =
of lying underneath it. I&#8217;ve decided to kick the whole thing into =
touch. I&#8217;ll whip out the gearbox (hah!) and drive it complete up =
to OD Spares who will sort it out while I wait. Even if I have to wait =
all day. Beats making the round trip twice.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Which leads me on to thinking about &#8220;what else =
to do when I&#8217;m in there&#8221;&#8230;&#8230;.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The clutch is the obvious candidate.<o:p></o:p></p><ol =
style=3D'margin-top:0cm' start=3D1 type=3D1><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'> I don&#8217;t know =
how long is a piece of string, but is there a mean average duration for =
a clutch in terms of miles? Not driven hard, just =
driven.<o:p></o:p></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'>I see that people =
quite often sell the clutch as a kit consisting in: the plate assembly, =
the cover and the release bearing. I thought that one replaced the =
latter <b>every time</b> one got near it and that one replaced the plate =
<b>as and if needed</b>. But &#8211; I thought &#8211; the cover is just =
a hunk of iron and <b>didn&#8217;t ever need replacing</b>. Am I right =
in <b>any</b> of that??<o:p></o:p></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'>Tools&#8230;.I see a =
great variety. In shape, design and in cost. Broadly speaking there are =
variations on A or B. The former seems elaborate and not suited to =
someone who hopes to only ever change one clutch in his life. But B is =
so very different from A that one wonders if it can do the same =
job&#8230;&#8230;<o:p></o:p></li></ol><p class=3DMsoListParagraph>Any =
thoughts on all or parts of the above would be very much =
appreciated.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now to =
battle with the gearbox. Oh joy&#8230;&#8230;..<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0008_01D79F48.94308B30--

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D79F48.94306420
	name="B.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="B.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D79F48.94306420
	name="A.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="A.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D79F48.94306420
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D79F48.94306420--