Subject: [Healeys] Clutch removal

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:07:55 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0408954465912100769==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7A0BC.5509CB40"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7A0BC.5509CB40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thank you all for your interesting replies and comments.

The saga continues.

1) The OD is on the workshop/garage floor thanks mainly to my son-in-law who
is that most useful thing, a VERY strong and willing assistant in heavy
matters.

2) The gearbox and OD are going "oop north" on Monday. (Get up at 04:00 to
be at OD Spares for 08:30).

3) That part of the UK contains the majority of car-related things, places,
suppliers, workshops etc in the UK.  For example, AH Spares, Ahead4Healeys
and JME Healeys are 13, 3 & 21 miles from OD Spares respectively.

Now, I'm almost certainly going to buy the 3-part kit that consists of
clutch, cover and bearing. I want to take the old assembly out and take it
up with me for assessment. Just in case any of it's OK. (It'll have to be
very OK for it not to be recycled).

Q1) Right now, I've looked at the manual which suggests that one removes the
cover first. Surely that's not necessary if one's going to remove the whole
issue?

Q2) I'm faced with 6 bolts, none of which want to turn. They've been there
for my 25 years and who knows how long before that...When I put any
torque(?) into turning them, the engine rotates and whatever effort I'm
putting out is absorbed by the engine's rotation. Fair enough. I propose to
take off the sump cover and jam the engine with a big chunk of timber. And
then try again. The oil is dripping out as I type. Is there a better way of
doing this?? Some clever trick that enable one to get these nuts off??

Thanks, Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7A0BC.5509CB40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:1010834700;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1165304766 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thank you all for your interesting replies and =
comments.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The saga =
continues.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>1) The OD is on the =
workshop/garage floor thanks mainly to my son-in-law who is that most =
useful thing, a VERY strong and willing assistant in heavy =
matters.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>2) The gearbox and OD are =
going &#8220;oop north&#8221; on Monday. (Get up at 04:00 to be at OD =
Spares for 08:30).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>3) That part of =
the UK contains the majority of car-related things, places, suppliers, =
workshops etc in the UK. &nbsp;For example, AH Spares, Ahead4Healeys and =
JME Healeys are 13, 3 &amp; 21 miles from OD Spares =
respectively.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now, I&#8217;m almost =
certainly going to buy the 3-part kit that consists of clutch, cover and =
bearing. I want to take the old assembly out and take it up with me for =
assessment. Just in case any of it&#8217;s OK. (It&#8217;ll have to be =
very OK for it not to be recycled).<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Q1) Right now, I&#8217;ve looked at the manual which =
suggests that one removes the cover first. Surely that&#8217;s not =
necessary if one&#8217;s going to remove the whole =
issue?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Q2) I&#8217;m faced with 6 =
bolts, none of which want to turn. They&#8217;ve been there for my 25 =
years and who knows how long before that&#8230;&#8230;.When I put any =
torque(?) into turning them, the engine rotates and whatever effort =
I&#8217;m putting out is absorbed by the engine&#8217;s rotation. Fair =
enough. I propose to take off the sump cover and jam the engine with a =
big chunk of timber. And then try again. The oil is dripping out as I =
type. Is there a better way of doing this?? Some clever trick that =
enable one to get these nuts off??<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks, Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7A0BC.5509CB40--

--===============0408954465912100769==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0408954465912100769==--