Subject: [Healeys] New Clutch query

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:41:23 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3148601574969219032==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7AE2D.96603DD0"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7AE2D.96603DD0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thank you very much for the replies. All food for thought barring one which
was just plain rude. Usual source.

One thing I should have mentioned earlier.....the lightened flywheel. On the
brief test drive I was most impressed. The car was more responsive and
seemed to accelerate quite a bit better. Not possible to be too thorough as
was concentrating on the clutch but first impressions are very favourable.
So, thanks for the input there.

As to the clutch.

1.	I didn't really think it at all likely that there was a running-in
period for clutches. I was just applying Sod's Law in reverse.
2.	By "difficult clutch", I meant that I could not engage gear without
an apparent clash of teeth unless I pumped the pedal several times. Hence
the bleeding and the query about the "longer push rod".
3.	On installation, I lined the clutch plate up with great care. I used
the plastic thing but did check alignment with my spare, original, shaft.
Particularly second time around. I cannot account for the reluctance to
slide onto the shaft. I've had the box out twice before and, yes, it did go
back in easily enough.
4.	The new clutch (3 piece kit) itself is precisely the same as the
original. Borg & Beck. Compared old with new on the counter at AHSpares.
Identical.
5.	I followed B&B's destructions to the letter. Applied grease etcetc.
BMC manual was not particularly helpful as it rather harks back to the days
when clutches were serviceable items.
6.	The slave cylinder is OK. I serviced it when I put in the
clutch-bleeding extension pipe about a year ago and it's been fine ever
since. 
7.	Just to mention.the black, ribbed, rubber clutch pipe was renewed at
same time. 
8.	The 2 dowel bolts are correctly placed. Unlike previously when there
was only one but it had made no difference.
9.	The cutting the head off the slave cylinder's top bolt originated
from Norman Nock. He was always one of my top gurus so I thought it worth
serious consideration. Of course, getting the newly beheaded bolt back in
and tightened up with the appropriate locking goo would probably be more of
a pain than simply putting in the top bolt per normal. Actually, it wasn't
too bad this time around.

Apart from rebleeding clutch and checking out the slave cylinder, it looks
like it'll all have to come apart again. Unless someone's had an
inspiration??

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7AE2D.96603DD0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:1644311374;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1981905280 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Thank you =
very much for the replies. All food for thought barring one which was =
just plain rude. Usual source.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>One thing I =
should have mentioned earlier&#8230;....the lightened flywheel. On =
the&nbsp; brief test drive I was most impressed. The car was more =
responsive and seemed to accelerate quite a bit better. Not possible to =
be too thorough as was concentrating on the clutch but first impressions =
are very favourable. So, thanks for the input =
there.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>As to the =
clutch.<o:p></o:p></span></p><ol style=3D'margin-top:0cm' start=3D1 =
type=3D1><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>I didn&#8217;t really think it at =
all likely that there was a running-in period for clutches. I was just =
applying Sod&#8217;s Law in reverse.<o:p></o:p></span></li><li =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo1'><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>By &#8220;difficult =
clutch&#8221;, I meant that I could not engage gear without an apparent =
clash of teeth unless I pumped the pedal several times. Hence the =
bleeding and the query about the &#8220;longer push =
rod&#8221;.<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>On installation, I lined the clutch =
plate up with great care. I used the plastic thing but did check =
alignment with my spare, original, shaft. Particularly second time =
around. I cannot account for the reluctance to slide onto the shaft. =
I&#8217;ve had the box out twice before and, yes, it did go back in =
easily enough.<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>The new clutch (3 piece kit) itself =
is precisely the same as the original. Borg &amp; Beck. Compared old =
with new on the counter at AHSpares. =
Identical.<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>I followed B&amp;B&#8217;s =
destructions to the letter. Applied grease etcetc. BMC manual was not =
particularly helpful as it rather harks back to the days when clutches =
were serviceable items.<o:p></o:p></span></li><li =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo1'><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>The slave cylinder is =
OK. I serviced it when I put in the clutch-bleeding extension pipe about =
a year ago and it&#8217;s been fine ever since. =
<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Just to mention&#8230;the black, =
ribbed, rubber clutch pipe was renewed at same time. =
<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>The 2 dowel bolts are correctly =
placed. Unlike previously when there was only one but it had made no =
difference.<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>The cutting the head off the slave =
cylinder&#8217;s top bolt originated from Norman Nock. He was always one =
of my top gurus so I thought it worth serious consideration. Of course, =
getting the newly beheaded bolt back in and tightened up with the =
appropriate locking goo would probably be more of a pain than simply =
putting in the top bolt per normal. Actually, it wasn&#8217;t too bad =
this time around.<o:p></o:p></span></li></ol><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-left:18.0pt'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Apart from rebleeding clutch and =
checking out the slave cylinder, it looks like it&#8217;ll all have to =
come apart again. Unless someone&#8217;s had an =
inspiration??<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-left:18.0pt'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:18.0pt'><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></=
body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D7AE2D.96603DD0--

--===============3148601574969219032==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3148601574969219032==--