Subject: [Healeys] Flywheels

From: Gary Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 05:05:36 -0700

--===============4227379705891340497==

--000000000000e7a71105cb7ab3df

Rather than tagging onto an already very long thread, I thought I'd throw
in my 2 cents on a new email.

I'm with Earl on this one. When Mike Meindorfer rebuilt my engine during my
restoration of my BN7 (where IS Mike these days?) in 1991, he used a
lightened flywheel from Bill Bolton. The most notable difference for me was
the responsiveness of the car when I was driving. There wasn't as much
inertia to overcome as the car went from idle to 3000 rpm, and much less
apparent lag when shifting gears. I wasn't interested in acceleration per
se -- Drag racing is not something you're ever going to do with a Healey --
but rather the satisfying feeling of a car that was a pleasure to drive
away from a stop and up through the gears. Incidentally, I haven't done so
much as adjust the carburetor since the engine was rebuilt. Can you believe
it? 30 years ago. That whole period was so long ago and remembered only
with the Healey still in the garage and driven on Saturdays in southern
Oregon, and a dozen or so Healey meet plaques on my office wall.

All the best, everyone.
May the smoke clear, may the rains stop, and may the fires be contained.

Gary

--000000000000e7a71105cb7ab3df
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Rather than tagging onto an already very long thread,=
 I thought I&#39;d throw in my 2 cents on a new email.</div><div><br></div>=
<div>I&#39;m with Earl on this one. When Mike Meindorfer rebuilt my engine =
during my restoration of my BN7 (where IS Mike these days?) in 1991, he use=
d a lightened flywheel from Bill Bolton. The most notable difference for me=
 was the responsiveness of the car when I was driving. There wasn&#39;t as =
much inertia to overcome as the car went from idle to 3000 rpm, and much le=
ss apparent lag when shifting gears. I wasn&#39;t interested in acceleratio=
n per se -- Drag racing is not something you&#39;re ever going to do with a=
 Healey -- but rather the satisfying feeling of a car that was a pleasure t=
o drive away from a stop and up through the gears. Incidentally, I haven&#3=
9;t done so much as adjust the carburetor since the engine was rebuilt. Can=
 you believe it? 30 years ago. That whole period was so long ago and rememb=
ered only with the Healey still in the garage and driven on Saturdays in so=
uthern Oregon, and a dozen or so Healey meet plaques on my office wall.</di=
v><div><br></div><div>All the best, everyone.</div><div>May the smoke clear=
, may the rains stop, and may the fires be contained.</div><div><br></div><=
div>Gary<br></div></div>

--000000000000e7a71105cb7ab3df--

--===============4227379705891340497==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4227379705891340497==--