Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:50:25 -0700

The shop manual has a comprehensive diagnostic flow chart; and maybe a 
troubleshooting guide as well.

To make SWAGs, we need a little more info:

- does it stay in OD indefinitely, until he accelerates, or pop out 
immediately?
- does it initially engage in 2-3 seconds, or take longer?

If the pump is weak, OD would be slow to engage and, once the 
accumulator has engaged there might not be enough to hold OD. But, my 
guess would be something electrical; possibly the relay.

Bob

On 3/22/2021 5:06 PM, healeymanjim via Healeys wrote:
> friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced it.  now it will go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.   any
> ideas what the cause is and the fix?
> _______________________________________________
>

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Bruce Steele" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:40:31 -0700

I agree with Bob, but I'll share an experience I had in the off chance it
helps.  I had a problem with my OD dropping out and/or cycling in and out.
After much trial and error and tracing with the volt meter, I figured out
that the problem was that the fiber washer that came with the replacement
gear level position switch was slightly too thick, resulting in intermittent
closure of the switch.  Removed the washer and used Teflon tape instead,
problem solved.

Bruce Steele
Brea, CA
1960 BN7

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob
Spidell
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 7:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

If the pump is weak, OD would be slow to engage and, once the accumulator
has engaged there might not be enough to hold OD. But, my guess would be
something electrical; possibly the relay.

Bob

On 3/22/2021 5:06 PM, healeymanjim via Healeys wrote:
> friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced it.  now it will
go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.   any

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 08:37:44 +0100

That is the way it should be when accelerating hard, Kick down!!

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 23:07:56 +0000

--===============7268650959996882113==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY4PR13MB11434E1B2A7CCACE7D98D61BA5629CY4PR13MB1143namp_"

--_000_CY4PR13MB11434E1B2A7CCACE7D98D61BA5629CY4PR13MB1143namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not supposed to kick down=
 automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop out is fau=
lty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=92t allow the OD to build f=
ull operating pressure.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554
________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs=
 via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:
> friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced it.  now it will =
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesl=
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archiv=
e

[email-masked]

sn.com

--_000_CY4PR13MB11434E1B2A7CCACE7D98D61BA5629CY4PR13MB1143namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
</head>
<body>
<div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not supposed to kick=
 down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop out i=
s faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=92t allow the OD to bu=
ild full operating pressure.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Bill Lawrence</div>
<div>BN1 #554</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-b=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys &lt;heal=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;=
">
<div class=3D"PlainText">That is the way it should be when accelerating har=
d, Kick down!!<br>
<br>
Kees Oudesluijs<br>
<br>
<br>
Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
&gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.&nbsp; solenoid was bad so replaced it.&nbsp;=
 now it will go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.&nbsp;&nbsp; any<br>
&gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>
&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
&gt; Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://ww=
w.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.=
team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>=
<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; [email-masked]<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/h=
ealeys/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
&gt;<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
m.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.=
net/pipermail/healeys</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>=
<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY4PR13MB11434E1B2A7CCACE7D98D61BA5629CY4PR13MB1143namp_--

--===============7268650959996882113==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7268650959996882113==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 16:14:38 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2975777105232671616==
 boundary="------------4E9866E0A1BBB192E64B6A70"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------4E9866E0A1BBB192E64B6A70
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the OD from engaging in the 
first place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump cause same 
symptoms?

On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys wrote:
> Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not supposed to kick 
> down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop 
> out is faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won’t allow the 
> OD to build full operating pressure.
>
> Bill Lawrence
> BN1 #554
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Kees 
> Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM
> *To:* [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
> *Subject:* Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem
> > friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced it.  now it 
> will go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.   any

--------------4E9866E0A1BBB192E64B6A70
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the OD from engaging in
    the first place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump cause
    same symptoms?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B
      LAWRENCE via Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not
        supposed to kick down automatically. The most common fault that
        causes the OD to drop out is faulty o-rings on the accumulator
        sleeve. This won’t allow the OD to build full operating
        pressure.</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Bill Lawrence</div>
      <div>BN1 #554</div>
      <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex="-1">
      <div id="divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font style="font-size:11pt"
          face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
          Healeys <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> on behalf of
          Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
          <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
          <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
          <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
          <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
        <div> </div>
      </div>
      <div class="BodyFragment"><font size="2"><span
            style="font-size:11pt;">
            <div class="PlainText">That is the way it should be when
              accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
              <br>
              Kees Oudesluijs<br>
              <br>
              <br>
              Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
              &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so
              replaced it.  now it will go into o/d but pop out when
              accelerating.   any<br>
              &gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>
            </div>
          </span></font></div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------4E9866E0A1BBB192E64B6A70--

--===============2975777105232671616==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2975777105232671616==--

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 06:13:02 +0000

--===============5680084350859861595==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY4PR13MB11432A8F5FFF4DC00C3B34D7A5619CY4PR13MB1143namp_"

--_000_CY4PR13MB11432A8F5FFF4DC00C3B34D7A5619CY4PR13MB1143namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The symptoms I=92ve seen and experienced are that the OD will engage and fu=
nction until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off and will the=
n fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of degradation of the o-rings.
________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Bob Spidell <bs=
[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the OD from engaging in the first=
 place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump cause same symptoms?

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554
________________________________
.team.net> on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]=
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

Kees Oudesluijs

> ideas what the cause is and the fix?

--_000_CY4PR13MB11432A8F5FFF4DC00C3B34D7A5619CY4PR13MB1143namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
</head>
<body>
<div>The symptoms I=92ve seen and experienced are that the OD will engage a=
nd function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off and wil=
l then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of degradation of the o-rin=
gs.</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-b=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;[email-masked]=
&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the OD from engaging in the =
first place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump cause same sympto=
ms?<br>
<br>
<br>
<div class=3D"x_moz-cite-prefix">On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE v=
ia Healeys wrote:<br>
</div>
<blockquote type=3D"cite">
<div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not supposed to kick=
 down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop out i=
s faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=92t allow the OD to bu=
ild full operating pressure.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Bill Lawrence</div>
<div>BN1 #554</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" =
color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Healeys
<a class=3D"x_moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
eam.net">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> on behalf of Kees Oudes=
luijs via Healeys
<a class=3D"x_moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a class=3D"x_moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:healeys@a=
utox.team.net">
[email-masked]</a> <a class=3D"x_moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href=3D"mai=
lto:[email-masked]">
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"x_BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11p=
t">
<div class=3D"x_PlainText">That is the way it should be when accelerating h=
ard, Kick down!!<br>
<br>
Kees Oudesluijs<br>
<br>
<br>
Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
&gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.&nbsp; solenoid was bad so replaced it.&nbsp;=
 now it will go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.&nbsp;&nbsp; any<br>
&gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</blockquote>
<br>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY4PR13MB11432A8F5FFF4DC00C3B34D7A5619CY4PR13MB1143namp_--

--===============5680084350859861595==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5680084350859861595==--

---

From: Michael Salter via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:03:16 -0400

--===============6370461807101498091==

--0000000000006209ef05be7028f1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Time this question was put to bed.
1. The throttle switch is not supposed to disengage the overdrive if the
dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is wired
incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)
2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or won't engage WHEN HOT but do work
when cold are invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is almost
always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O" rings on the outside of the
accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my experience scoring of the
accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston are a more common cause=
.
3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant to be lubricated with
engine oil. Decades ago I  wrote to Laycock DeNormanville, back when
letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a  response from their
engineering department indicating clearly that the oil specified for their
products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and whatever they
specified was acceptable for the overdrive.
M

On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen and experienced are that the OD will engag=
e and
> function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off and will
> then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of degradation of the o-rin=
gs.
> ------------------------------
> *From:* Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Bob Spidell
> <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM
> down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop out =
is
> faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=99t allow the OD=
 to build
> full operating pressure.
>
> Bill Lawrence
> BN1 #554
> ------------------------------
> *From:* Healeys <[email-masked]>
> <[email-masked]> on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys
> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> <[email-masked]>
> > friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced it.  now it wil=
l
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000006209ef05be7028f1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Time this question was put to bed.<div dir=3D"auto">1. Th=
e throttle switch is not supposed to disengage the overdrive if the dash sw=
itch is in the &quot;OVERDRIVE&quot; position. If it does the system is wir=
ed incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div><div dir=3D"auto">2. Ove=
rdrives which slip out, slip, or won&#39;t engage WHEN HOT but do work when=
 cold are invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is almost always=
 caused by accumulator issues.=C2=A0 The &quot;O&quot; rings on the outside=
 of the accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my experience scoring of=
 the accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston are a more common =
cause.</div><div dir=3D"auto">3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are me=
ant to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades ago I=C2=A0 wrote to Laycock =
DeNormanville, back when letters went in envelopes with stamps, and receive=
d a=C2=A0 response from their engineering department indicating clearly tha=
t the oil specified for their products was specified by the gearbox manufac=
turer and whatever they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.</div><d=
iv dir=3D"auto">M</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr=
" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE=
 via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

<div>
<div>The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen and experienced are that the OD will en=
gage and function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off a=
nd will then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of degradation of the=
 o-rings.</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
<div id=3D"m_2913893478454826311divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Ca=
libri, sans-serif" style=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> =
Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_bl=
ank" rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&gt; on behalf of=
 Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@au=
tox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</=
a>&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
<div>=C2=A0</div>
</div>
<div>Sure, but wouldn&#39;t faulty O-rings prevent the OD from engaging in =
the first place? Just guessing, but wouldn&#39;t a deficient pump cause sam=
e symptoms?<br>
<br>
<br>
<div>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys wrote:<br>
</div>
<blockquote type=3D"cite">
<div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not supposed to kick=
 down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop out i=
s faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=99t allow the OD=
 to build full operating pressure.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Bill Lawrence</div>
<div>BN1 #554</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
<div id=3D"m_2913893478454826311x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"=
Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b=
> Healeys
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"=
noreferrer">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> on behalf of Kees Ou=
desluijs via Healeys
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">
[email-masked]</a> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=
=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
<div>=C2=A0</div>
</div>
<div><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt">
<div>That is the way it should be when accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
<br>
Kees Oudesluijs<br>
<br>
<br>
Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
&gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.=C2=A0 solenoid was bad so replaced it.=C2=A0=
 now it will go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.=C2=A0=C2=A0 any<br>
&gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</blockquote>
<br>
</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><b=
r>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000006209ef05be7028f1--

--===============6370461807101498091==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6370461807101498091==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:26:10 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3070504535677453796==
 boundary="------------490DC8EA2DF6FCE131E2DF3F"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------490DC8EA2DF6FCE131E2DF3F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators came with metal 
rings, which likely cause or at least contribute to scoring. One of the 
Brit suppliers--probably AHS but I'm not sure--has an accumulator setup 
that uses an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings, which should prevent 
scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back, and if I'd known of the 
O-ring type I would have installed it. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in 
the actuator pistons, but later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to 
conclude LdeN went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the 
cases (or, possibly, because they were cheaper).

On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:
> 1. The throttle switch is not supposed to disengage the overdrive if 
> the dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system 
> is wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)
> 2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or won't engage WHEN HOT but do 
> work when cold are invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is 
> almost always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O" rings on the 
> outside of the accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my 
> experience scoring of the accumulator bore and damage to the rings and 
> piston are a more common cause.
> letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a  response from 
> their engineering department indicating clearly that the oil specified 
> for their products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and 
> whatever they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.
> M
>
> On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, 
>
>     The symptoms I’ve seen and experienced are that the OD will engage
>     and function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops
>     off and will then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of
>     degradation of the o-rings.
>     *From:* Healeys <[email-masked]
>     the first place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump
>     cause same symptoms?
>
>
>>     Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not supposed to
>>     kick down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD
>>     to drop out is faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This
>>     won’t allow the OD to build full operating pressure.
>>
>>     Bill Lawrence
>>     BN1 #554
>>     > friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced it. 
>>     now it will go into o/d but pop out when accelerating.   any

--------------490DC8EA2DF6FCE131E2DF3F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators came with
    metal rings, which likely cause or at least contribute to scoring.
    One of the Brit suppliers--probably AHS but I'm not sure--has an
    accumulator setup that uses an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings,
    which should prevent scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back,
    and if I'd known of the O-ring type I would have installed it.
    Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but later
    ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclude LdeN went to O-rings
    there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or, possibly,
    because they were cheaper).<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">Time this question was put to bed.
        <div dir="auto">1. The throttle switch is not supposed to
          disengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in the
          "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is wired
          incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div>
        <div dir="auto">2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or won't
          engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are invariably suffering
          from low oil pressure which is almost always caused by
          accumulator issues.  The "O" rings on the outside of the
          accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my experience
          scoring of the accumulator bore and damage to the rings and
          piston are a more common cause.</div>
        <div dir="auto">3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant
          to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades ago I  wrote to
          Laycock DeNormanville, back when letters went in envelopes
          with stamps, and received a  response from their engineering
          department indicating clearly that the oil specified for their
          products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and
          whatever they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.</div>
        <div dir="auto">M</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13
          a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
          <div>
            <div>The symptoms I’ve seen and experienced are that the OD
              will engage and function until the oil temp comes up and
              the viscosity drops off and will then fail. I suppose it
              depends on the degree of degradation of the o-rings.</div>
            <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
            <div id="m_2913893478454826311divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font
                style="font-size:11pt" face="Calibri, sans-serif"
                color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                  target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
                  rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                <b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                  target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
                  rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
              <div> </div>
            </div>
            <div>Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the OD from
              engaging in the first place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a
              deficient pump cause same symptoms?<br>
              <br>
              <br>
              <div>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys
                wrote:<br>
              </div>
              <blockquote type="cite">
                <div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is
                  not supposed to kick down automatically. The most
                  common fault that causes the OD to drop out is faulty
                  o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won’t allow
                  the OD to build full operating pressure.</div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>Bill Lawrence</div>
                <div>BN1 #554</div>
                <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                <div id="m_2913893478454826311x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font
                    style="font-size:11pt" face="Calibri, sans-serif"
                    color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys
                    <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
                    on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys
                    <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
                    <b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">
                      [email-masked]</a> <a
                      href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">
                      &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
                  <div> </div>
                </div>
                <div><font size="2"><span style="font-size:11pt">
                      <div>That is the way it should be when
                        accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
                        <br>
                        Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                        <br>
                        <br>
                        Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via
                        Healeys:<br>
                        &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad
                        so replaced it.  now it will go into o/d but pop
                        out when accelerating.   any<br>
                        &gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>
                      </div>
                    </span></font></div>
              </blockquote>
              <br>
            </div>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------490DC8EA2DF6FCE131E2DF3F--

--===============3070504535677453796==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3070504535677453796==--

---

From: Michael Salter via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:34:04 -0400

--===============1002689676726410173==

--000000000000350e0705be716dc3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bob, I looked into installing "O" rings into an accumulator many years ago
but couldn't figure out how to get around the problem presented by the fact
that the accumulator relieves pressure by allowing the cast iron rings to
pass over radial holes in the body.
When I tried them the "O" rings were forced into those pressure relief
holes and tiny pieces were sliced off at each hole location!!
How do the accumulators with "O" rings address that issue?

M

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> O-ring type I would have installed it. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in t=
he
> actuator pistons, but later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclud=
e
> LdeN went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or,
> possibly, because they were cheaper).
>
> dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is wire=
d
> accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston are a more common cau=
se.
> letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a  response from thei=
r
> engineering department indicating clearly that the oil specified for thei=
r
>> The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen and experienced are that the OD will enga=
ge and
>> function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off and wil=
l
>> then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of degradation of the o-ri=
ngs.
>> *From:* Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Bob
>> Spidell <[email-masked]>
>> down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop out=
 is
>> faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=99t allow the O=
D to build
>> <[email-masked]> on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via
>> Healeys <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

--000000000000350e0705be716dc3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sa=
ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-ser=
if">Bob, I looked into installing &quot;O&quot; rings into an accumulator m=
any years ago but couldn&#39;t figure out how to get around the problem pre=
sented by the fact that the accumulator relieves pressure by allowing the c=
ast iron rings to pass over radial holes in the body.</span></div><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size=
:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">When I tried them the =
&quot;O&quot; rings were forced into those pressure relief holes and tiny p=
ieces were sliced off at each hole location!!<br></span></div><div class=3D=
"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:sma=
ll"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">How do the accumulators wi=
th &quot;O&quot; rings address that issue?</span></div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><sp=
an style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br></span></div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"=
><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">M</span><br></div></div><br><=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar=
 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
t">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,=
204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators came with
    metal rings, which likely cause or at least contribute to scoring.
    One of the Brit suppliers--probably AHS but I&#39;m not sure--has an
    accumulator setup that uses an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings,
    which should prevent scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back,
    and if I&#39;d known of the O-ring type I would have installed it.
    Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but later
    ones had O-rings, and it&#39;s logical to conclude LdeN went to O-rings
    there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or, possibly,
    because they were cheaper).<br>
    <br>
    <div>On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"auto">Time this question was put to bed.
        <div dir=3D"auto">1. The throttle switch is not supposed to
          disengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in the
          &quot;OVERDRIVE&quot; position. If it does the system is wired
          incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div>
        <div dir=3D"auto">2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or won&#39;t
          engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are invariably suffering
          from low oil pressure which is almost always caused by
          accumulator issues.=C2=A0 The &quot;O&quot; rings on the outside =
of the
          accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my experience
          scoring of the accumulator bore and damage to the rings and
          piston are a more common cause.</div>
        <div dir=3D"auto">3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant
          to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades ago I=C2=A0 wrote to
          Laycock DeNormanville, back when letters went in envelopes
          with stamps, and received a=C2=A0 response from their engineering
          department indicating clearly that the oil specified for their
          products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and
          whatever they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.</div>
        <div dir=3D"auto">M</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class=3D"gmail_quote">
        <div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13
          a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex=
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
          <div>
            <div>The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen and experienced are that th=
e OD
              will engage and function until the oil temp comes up and
              the viscosity drops off and will then fail. I suppose it
              depends on the degree of degradation of the o-rings.</div>
            <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
            <div id=3D"gmail-m_-7260173366705078485m_2913893478454826311div=
RplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibri, san=
s-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:heale=
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys-bou=
[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@com=
cast.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
<br>
                <b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D=
"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys@a=
utox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
              <div>=C2=A0</div>
            </div>
            <div>Sure, but wouldn&#39;t faulty O-rings prevent the OD from
              engaging in the first place? Just guessing, but wouldn&#39;t =
a
              deficient pump cause same symptoms?<br>
              <br>
              <br>
              <div>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys
                wrote:<br>
              </div>
              <blockquote type=3D"cite">
                <div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is
                  not supposed to kick down automatically. The most
                  common fault that causes the OD to drop out is faulty
                  o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=99t all=
ow
                  the OD to build full operating pressure.</div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>Bill Lawrence</div>
                <div>BN1 #554</div>
                <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
                <div id=3D"gmail-m_-7260173366705078485m_291389347845482631=
1x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibr=
i, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys
                    <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=
=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a=
                    on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys
                    <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"norefe=
rrer" target=3D"_blank">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
                    <b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" re=
l=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
                      [email-masked]</a> <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@=
autox.team.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
                      &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
                  <div>=C2=A0</div>
                </div>
                <div><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt">
                      <div>That is the way it should be when
                        accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
                        <br>
                        Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                        <br>
                        <br>
                        Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via
                        Healeys:<br>
                        &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.=C2=A0 solenoid was b=
ad
                        so replaced it.=C2=A0 now it will go into o/d but p=
op
                        out when accelerating.=C2=A0=C2=A0 any<br>
                        &gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>
                      </div>
                    </span></font></div>
              </blockquote>
              <br>
            </div>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000350e0705be716dc3--

--===============1002689676726410173==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1002689676726410173==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:39:37 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5823777435327419667==
 boundary="------------4777D0098A7DEBB1EE53BAC5"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------4777D0098A7DEBB1EE53BAC5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

OK, I did the hard work (2 clicks) and dug up the source:

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx

They claim the housing is modified as well, maybe with bevels on the 
pressure relief ports?

On 3/26/2021 7:34 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Bob, I looked into installing "O" rings into an accumulator many years 
> ago but couldn't figure out how to get around the problem presented by 
> the fact that the accumulator relieves pressure by allowing the cast 
> iron rings to pass over radial holes in the body.
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM Bob Spidell <[email-masked] 
>
>     which should prevent scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years
>     back, and if I'd known of the O-ring type I would have installed
>     it. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but
>     later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclude LdeN went to
>     O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or,
>>     1. The throttle switch is not supposed to disengage the overdrive
>>     if the dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the
>>     system is wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)
>>     2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or won't engage WHEN HOT but
>>     do work when cold are invariably suffering from low oil pressure
>>     which is almost always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O"
>>     rings on the outside of the accumulator sleeve can be a problem
>>     but in my experience scoring of the accumulator bore and damage
>>     to the rings and piston are a more common cause.
>>     3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant to be lubricated
>>     with engine oil. Decades ago I  wrote to Laycock DeNormanville,
>>     back when letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a
>>     response from their engineering department indicating clearly
>>     that the oil specified for their products was specified by the
>>     gearbox manufacturer and whatever they specified was acceptable
>>     for the overdrive.
>>     M
>>
>>         The symptoms I’ve seen and experienced are that the OD will
>>         engage and function until the oil temp comes up and the
>>         viscosity drops off and will then fail. I suppose it depends
>>         on the degree of degradation of the o-rings.
>>         Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the OD from
>>         deficient pump cause same symptoms?
>>
>>
>>>         Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not
>>>         supposed to kick down automatically. The most common fault
>>>         that causes the OD to drop out is faulty o-rings on the
>>>         accumulator sleeve. This won’t allow the OD to build full
>>>         operating pressure.
>>>
>>>         Bill Lawrence
>>>         BN1 #554
>>>         > friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad so replaced
>>>         it.  now it will go into o/d but pop out when
>>>         accelerating.   any

--------------4777D0098A7DEBB1EE53BAC5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    OK, I did the hard work (2 clicks) and dug up the source:<br>
    <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx">https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx</a><br>
    <br>
    They claim the housing is modified as well, maybe with bevels on the
    pressure relief ports?<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/26/2021 7:34 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">Bob, I looked into
            installing "O" rings into an accumulator many years ago but
            couldn't figure out how to get around the problem presented
            by the fact that the accumulator relieves pressure by
            allowing the cast iron rings to pass over radial holes in
            the body.</span></div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">When I tried them the
            "O" rings were forced into those pressure relief holes and
            tiny pieces were sliced off at each hole location!!<br>
          </span></div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">How do the accumulators
            with "O" rings address that issue?</span></div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br>
          </span></div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">M</span><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:26
          AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
          <div> Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators
            came with metal rings, which likely cause or at least
            contribute to scoring. One of the Brit suppliers--probably
            AHS but I'm not sure--has an accumulator setup that uses an
            O-ring(s) instead of metal rings, which should prevent
            scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back, and if I'd
            known of the O-ring type I would have installed it. Earlier
            O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but later
            ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclude LdeN went to
            O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or,
            possibly, because they were cheaper).<br>
            <br>
            <div>On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:<br>
            </div>
            <blockquote type="cite">
              <div dir="auto">Time this question was put to bed.
                <div dir="auto">1. The throttle switch is not supposed
                  to disengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in
                  the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is
                  wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div>
                <div dir="auto">2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or
                  won't engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are
                  invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is
                  almost always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O"
                  rings on the outside of the accumulator sleeve can be
                  a problem but in my experience scoring of the
                  accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston
                  are a more common cause.</div>
                <div dir="auto">3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys
                  are meant to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades
                  ago I  wrote to Laycock DeNormanville, back when
                  letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a 
                  response from their engineering department indicating
                  clearly that the oil specified for their products was
                  specified by the gearbox manufacturer and whatever
                  they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.</div>
                <div dir="auto">M</div>
              </div>
              <br>
              <div class="gmail_quote">
                <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri., Mar. 26,
                  2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                </div>
                <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  <div>
                    <div>The symptoms I’ve seen and experienced are that
                      the OD will engage and function until the oil temp
                      comes up and the viscosity drops off and will then
                      fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of
                      degradation of the o-rings.</div>
                    <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                    <div
                      id="gmail-m_-7260173366705078485m_2913893478454826311divRplyFwdMsg"
                      dir="ltr"><font style="font-size:11pt"
                        face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
                        Healeys &lt;<a
                          href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                          rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                          moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                        on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                          href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                          rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                          moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                        <b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br>
                        <b>To:</b> <a
                          href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                          rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                          moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                        &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                          rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                          moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                        <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem</font>
                      <div> </div>
                    </div>
                    <div>Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the
                      OD from engaging in the first place? Just
                      guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump cause same
                      symptoms?<br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      <div>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via
                        Healeys wrote:<br>
                      </div>
                      <blockquote type="cite">
                        <div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville
                          overdrive is not supposed to kick down
                          automatically. The most common fault that
                          causes the OD to drop out is faulty o-rings on
                          the accumulator sleeve. This won’t allow the
                          OD to build full operating pressure.</div>
                        <div><br>
                        </div>
                        <div>Bill Lawrence</div>
                        <div>BN1 #554</div>
                        <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                        <div
                          id="gmail-m_-7260173366705078485m_2913893478454826311x_divRplyFwdMsg"
                          dir="ltr"><font style="font-size:11pt"
                            face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
                            Healeys <a
                              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
                            on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <a
                              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                            <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br>
                            <b>To:</b> <a
                              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                              moz-do-not-send="true">
                              [email-masked]</a> <a
                              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                              moz-do-not-send="true">
                              &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                            <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive
                            problem</font>
                          <div> </div>
                        </div>
                        <div><font size="2"><span style="font-size:11pt">
                              <div>That is the way it should be when
                                accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
                                <br>
                                Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                                <br>
                                <br>
                                Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef
                                healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
                                &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid
                                was bad so replaced it.  now it will go
                                into o/d but pop out when
                                accelerating.   any<br>
                                &gt; ideas what the cause is and the
                                fix?<br>
                              </div>
                            </span></font></div>
                      </blockquote>
                      <br>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </blockquote>
              </div>
            </blockquote>
            <br>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------4777D0098A7DEBB1EE53BAC5--

--===============5823777435327419667==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5823777435327419667==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:48:07 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3588836778339034736==
 boundary="------------2DCDDABCFB845754FF81A036"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2DCDDABCFB845754FF81A036
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Enlarging the photo clearly shows beveling on the relief ports.

On 3/26/2021 7:39 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
>> Bob, I looked into installing "O" rings into an accumulator many 
>> years ago but couldn't figure out how to get around the problem 
>> presented by the fact that the accumulator relieves pressure by 
>> allowing the cast iron rings to pass over radial holes in the body.
>> When I tried them the "O" rings were forced into those pressure 
>> relief holes and tiny pieces were sliced off at each hole location!!
>>     metal rings, which likely cause or at least contribute to
>>     scoring. One of the Brit suppliers--probably AHS but I'm not
>>     sure--has an accumulator setup that uses an O-ring(s) instead of
>>     metal rings, which should prevent scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a
>>     couple years back, and if I'd known of the O-ring type I would
>>     have installed it. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator
>>     pistons, but later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclude
>>     LdeN went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the
>>>     1. The throttle switch is not supposed to disengage the
>>>     overdrive if the dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If
>>>     it does the system is wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little
>>>     different)
>>>     3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant to be
>>>     lubricated with engine oil. Decades ago I  wrote to Laycock
>>>     DeNormanville, back when letters went in envelopes with stamps,
>>>     and received a  response from their engineering department
>>>     indicating clearly that the oil specified for their products was
>>>     specified by the gearbox manufacturer and whatever they
>>>     On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via
>>>     Healeys, <[email-masked]
>>>
>>>>         *To:* [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------2DCDDABCFB845754FF81A036
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Enlarging the photo clearly shows beveling on the relief ports.<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/26/2021 7:39 AM, Bob Spidell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      OK, I did the hard work (2 clicks) and dug up the source:<br>
      <br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx"
        moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx</a><br>
      <br>
      They claim the housing is modified as well, maybe with bevels on
      the pressure relief ports?<br>
      <br>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/26/2021 7:34 AM, Michael Salter
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
          charset=UTF-8">
        <div dir="ltr">
          <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
              style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">Bob, I looked into
              installing "O" rings into an accumulator many years ago
              but couldn't figure out how to get around the problem
              presented by the fact that the accumulator relieves
              pressure by allowing the cast iron rings to pass over
              radial holes in the body.</span></div>
          <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
              style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">When I tried them the
              "O" rings were forced into those pressure relief holes and
              tiny pieces were sliced off at each hole location!!<br>
            </span></div>
          <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
              style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">How do the
              accumulators with "O" rings address that issue?</span></div>
          <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
              style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br>
            </span></div>
          <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
              style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">M</span><br>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">
          <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at
            10:26 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
          </div>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            <div> Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators
              came with metal rings, which likely cause or at least
              contribute to scoring. One of the Brit suppliers--probably
              AHS but I'm not sure--has an accumulator setup that uses
              an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings, which should prevent
              scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back, and if I'd
              known of the O-ring type I would have installed it.
              Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but
              later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclude LdeN
              went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the
              cases (or, possibly, because they were cheaper).<br>
              <br>
              <div>On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys
                wrote:<br>
              </div>
              <blockquote type="cite">
                <div dir="auto">Time this question was put to bed.
                  <div dir="auto">1. The throttle switch is not supposed
                    to disengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in
                    the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is
                    wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div>
                  <div dir="auto">2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or
                    won't engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are
                    invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is
                    almost always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O"
                    rings on the outside of the accumulator sleeve can
                    be a problem but in my experience scoring of the
                    accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston
                    are a more common cause.</div>
                  <div dir="auto">3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys
                    are meant to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades
                    ago I  wrote to Laycock DeNormanville, back when
                    letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received
                    a  response from their engineering department
                    indicating clearly that the oil specified for their
                    products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer
                    and whatever they specified was acceptable for the
                    overdrive.</div>
                  <div dir="auto">M</div>
                </div>
                <br>
                <div class="gmail_quote">
                  <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri., Mar. 26,
                    2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                      target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                    wrote:<br>
                  </div>
                  <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px
                    0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                    rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    <div>
                      <div>The symptoms I’ve seen and experienced are
                        that the OD will engage and function until the
                        oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off
                        and will then fail. I suppose it depends on the
                        degree of degradation of the o-rings.</div>
                      <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                      <div
                        id="gmail-m_-7260173366705078485m_2913893478454826311divRplyFwdMsg"
                        dir="ltr"><font style="font-size:11pt"
                          face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
                          Healeys &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                          on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                          <b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br>
                          <b>To:</b> <a
                            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                          &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                          <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive
                          problem</font>
                        <div> </div>
                      </div>
                      <div>Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rings prevent the
                        OD from engaging in the first place? Just
                        guessing, but wouldn't a deficient pump cause
                        same symptoms?<br>
                        <br>
                        <br>
                        <div>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE
                          via Healeys wrote:<br>
                        </div>
                        <blockquote type="cite">
                          <div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville
                            overdrive is not supposed to kick down
                            automatically. The most common fault that
                            causes the OD to drop out is faulty o-rings
                            on the accumulator sleeve. This won’t allow
                            the OD to build full operating pressure.</div>
                          <div><br>
                          </div>
                          <div>Bill Lawrence</div>
                          <div>BN1 #554</div>
                          <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                          <div
                            id="gmail-m_-7260173366705078485m_2913893478454826311x_divRplyFwdMsg"
                            dir="ltr"><font style="font-size:11pt"
                              face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
                              Healeys <a
                                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
                              on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <a
                                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                              <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37
                              AM<br>
                              <b>To:</b> <a
                                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">
                                [email-masked]</a> <a
                                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">
                                &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                              <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive
                              problem</font>
                            <div> </div>
                          </div>
                          <div><font size="2"><span
                                style="font-size:11pt">
                                <div>That is the way it should be when
                                  accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
                                  <br>
                                  Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                                  <br>
                                  <br>
                                  Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef
                                  healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
                                  &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit. 
                                  solenoid was bad so replaced it.  now
                                  it will go into o/d but pop out when
                                  accelerating.   any<br>
                                  &gt; ideas what the cause is and the
                                  fix?<br>
                                </div>
                              </span></font></div>
                        </blockquote>
                        <br>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </blockquote>
                </div>
              </blockquote>
              <br>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2DCDDABCFB845754FF81A036--

--===============3588836778339034736==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3588836778339034736==--

---

From: Roger Grace via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:18:36 -0700

--===============2760313911095835639==

--0000000000009a57d805be720c00
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have found OD Spares in UK to always be very helpful and knowledgeable.

http://www.odspares.com/

They supply the O ring upgraded accumulator and piston set.  This piston is
slightly larger in diameter than the original.
As an aside, 2 years after upgrading  my BJ8 OD to their accumulator set,
the OD pressure still holds 480 psi after a week !!
rg

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 7:49 AM Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdr=
ive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx
> Bob, I looked into installing "O" rings into an accumulator many years ag=
o
> but couldn't figure out how to get around the problem presented by the fa=
ct
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote=
:
>> O-ring type I would have installed it. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in =
the
>> actuator pistons, but later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclu=
de
>> LdeN went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or=
,
>> dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is wir=
ed
>> always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O" rings on the outside of th=
e
>> accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston are a more common ca=
use.
>> letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a  response from the=
ir
>> engineering department indicating clearly that the oil specified for the=
ir
>>> The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen and experienced are that the OD will eng=
age and
>>> function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off and wi=
ll
>>> then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of degradation of the o-r=
ings.
>>> down automatically. The most common fault that causes the OD to drop ou=
t is
>>> faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=99t allow the =
OD to build
ive
> [email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidel=
[email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000009a57d805be720c00
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I have found OD Spares in UK to always be very helpfu=
l and knowledgeable. <br></div><div><br></div><div><a href=3D"http://www.od=
spares.com/">http://www.odspares.com/</a></div><div><br></div><div>They sup=
ply the O ring upgraded accumulator and piston set.=C2=A0 This piston is sl=
ightly larger in diameter than the original.</div><div>As an aside, 2 years=
 after upgrading=C2=A0 my BJ8 OD to their accumulator set, the OD pressure =
still holds 480 psi after a week !!</div><div>rg<br></div></div><br><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 26, 2=
021 at 7:49 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">bspi=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" =
style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);pa=
dding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    Enlarging the photo clearly shows beveling on the relief ports.<br>
    <br>
    <div>On 3/26/2021 7:39 AM, Bob Spidell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      OK, I did the hard work (2 clicks) and dug up the source:<br>
      <br>
      <a href=3D"https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts=
/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx" target=3D"_bl=
ank">https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-ove=
rdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx</a><br>
      <br>
      They claim the housing is modified as well, maybe with bevels on
      the pressure relief ports?<br>
      <br>
      <div>On 3/26/2021 7:34 AM, Michael Salter
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type=3D"cite">
       =20
        <div dir=3D"ltr">
          <div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,s=
ans-serif;font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">Bob=
, I looked into
              installing &quot;O&quot; rings into an accumulator many years=
 ago
              but couldn&#39;t figure out how to get around the problem
              presented by the fact that the accumulator relieves
              pressure by allowing the cast iron rings to pass over
              radial holes in the body.</span></div>
          <div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,s=
ans-serif;font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">Whe=
n I tried them the
              &quot;O&quot; rings were forced into those pressure relief ho=
les and
              tiny pieces were sliced off at each hole location!!<br>
            </span></div>
          <div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,s=
ans-serif;font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">How=
 do the
              accumulators with &quot;O&quot; rings address that issue?</sp=
an></div>
          <div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,s=
ans-serif;font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br=
            </span></div>
          <div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,s=
ans-serif;font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">M</=
span><br>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br>
        <div class=3D"gmail_quote">
          <div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at
            10:26 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
          </div>
          <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8=
ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            <div> Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators
              came with metal rings, which likely cause or at least
              contribute to scoring. One of the Brit suppliers--probably
              AHS but I&#39;m not sure--has an accumulator setup that uses
              an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings, which should prevent
              scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back, and if I&#39;d
              known of the O-ring type I would have installed it.
              Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but
              later ones had O-rings, and it&#39;s logical to conclude LdeN
              went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the
              cases (or, possibly, because they were cheaper).<br>
              <br>
              <div>On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys
                wrote:<br>
              </div>
              <blockquote type=3D"cite">
                <div dir=3D"auto">Time this question was put to bed.
                  <div dir=3D"auto">1. The throttle switch is not supposed
                    to disengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in
                    the &quot;OVERDRIVE&quot; position. If it does the syst=
em is
                    wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div>
                  <div dir=3D"auto">2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or
                    won&#39;t engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are
                    invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is
                    almost always caused by accumulator issues.=C2=A0 The &=
quot;O&quot;
                    rings on the outside of the accumulator sleeve can
                    be a problem but in my experience scoring of the
                    accumulator bore and damage to the rings and piston
                    are a more common cause.</div>
                  <div dir=3D"auto">3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys
                    are meant to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades
                    ago I=C2=A0 wrote to Laycock DeNormanville, back when
                    letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received
                    a=C2=A0 response from their engineering department
                    indicating clearly that the oil specified for their
                    products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer
                    and whatever they specified was acceptable for the
                    overdrive.</div>
                  <div dir=3D"auto">M</div>
                </div>
                <br>
                <div class=3D"gmail_quote">
                  <div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., Mar. 26,
                    2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:<br>
                  </div>
                  <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px=
 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    <div>
                      <div>The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen and experienced a=
re
                        that the OD will engage and function until the
                        oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops off
                        and will then fail. I suppose it depends on the
                        degree of degradation of the o-rings.</div>
                      <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
                      <div id=3D"gmail-m_5305121234551432854gmail-m_-726017=
3366705078485m_2913893478454826311divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D=
"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b=
                          Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@aut=
ox.team.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
m.net</a>&gt;
                          on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bs=
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
et</a>&gt;<br>
                          <b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:14 PM<br=
                          <b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
et" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>
                          &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=
=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                          <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive
                          problem</font>
                        <div>=C2=A0</div>
                      </div>
                      <div>Sure, but wouldn&#39;t faulty O-rings prevent th=
e
                        OD from engaging in the first place? Just
                        guessing, but wouldn&#39;t a deficient pump cause
                        same symptoms?<br>
                        <br>
                        <br>
                        <div>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE
                          via Healeys wrote:<br>
                        </div>
                        <blockquote type=3D"cite">
                          <div>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville
                            overdrive is not supposed to kick down
                            automatically. The most common fault that
                            causes the OD to drop out is faulty o-rings
                            on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=99t a=
llow
                            the OD to build full operating pressure.</div>
                          <div><br>
                          </div>
                          <div>Bill Lawrence</div>
                          <div>BN1 #554</div>
                          <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
                          <div id=3D"gmail-m_5305121234551432854gmail-m_-72=
60173366705078485m_2913893478454826311x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>Fr=
om:</b>
                              Healeys <a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@aut=
ox.team.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">&lt;healeys-bounces@autox=
.team.net&gt;</a>
                              on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <a h=
ref=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                              <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37
                              AM<br>
                              <b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
am.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
                                [email-masked]</a> <a href=3D"mailt=
o:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
                                &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                              <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive
                              problem</font>
                            <div>=C2=A0</div>
                          </div>
                          <div><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11=
pt">
                                <div>That is the way it should be when
                                  accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
                                  <br>
                                  Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                                  <br>
                                  <br>
                                  Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef
                                  healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>
                                  &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.=C2=A0
                                  solenoid was bad so replaced it.=C2=A0 no=
w
                                  it will go into o/d but pop out when
                                  accelerating.=C2=A0=C2=A0 any<br>
                                  &gt; ideas what the cause is and the
                                  fix?<br>
                                </div>
                              </span></font></div>
                        </blockquote>
                        <br>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </blockquote>
                </div>
              </blockquote>
              <br>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.ne=
t/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

s/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opt=
ions/healeys/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </div>

s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000009a57d805be720c00--

--===============2760313911095835639==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2760313911095835639==--

---

From: Warren Dietz via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:10:44 -0400

--===============5779879285357398905==
	boundary="_F3F46E31-9B03-48B4-851F-E2F0AF6F04F1_"

--_F3F46E31-9B03-48B4-851F-E2F0AF6F04F1_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=
=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft=
 Word 15 (filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#defaul=
t#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:"Courier New";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D=
'word-wrap:break-word'><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I can=
 attest to the uprated <b>AHS</b> accumulator. Installed May 2020 and had p=
ressure </p><p class=3DMsoNormal>restored to normal 480-500. Symptoms were =
slow to engage and no engage when hot.</p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Very scored =
accumulator/piston was discovered. Job can be done without pulling tranny.<=
/p><p class=3DMsoNormal><img width=3D559 height=3D420 style=3D'width:5.8263=
in;height:4.375in' id=3D"Picture_x0020_5" src=3D"cid:image003.jpg@01D72249.=
CFDA0D90"></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><i>Great guidance and help from this com=
munity! Thanks!<o:p></o:p></i></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>WD=C2=A0 67 BJ8</p><=
p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sent from <a =
href=3D"https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986">Mail</a> for Wind=
ows 10</p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div style=3D'mso-eleme=
nt:para-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt=
 0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'border:none;padding:0in'><b>Fro=
m: </b><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Roger Grace via Healeys</a=
><br><b>Sent: </b>Friday, March 26, 2021 11:19 AM<br><b>To: </b><a href=3D"=
mailto:[email-masked]">Bob Spidell</a><br><b>Cc: </b><a href=3D"mailt=
o:[email-masked]">Healeys</a><br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] over=
drive problem</p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div>=
<p class=3DMsoNormal>I have found OD Spares in UK to always be very helpful=
 and knowledgeable. </p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></=
p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><a href=3D"http://www.odspares.com/">http=
://www.odspares.com/</a></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>They supply the O ring upgraded accum=
ulator and piston set.&nbsp; This piston is slightly larger in diameter tha=
n the original.</p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>As an aside, 2 years aft=
er upgrading&nbsp; my BJ8 OD to their accumulator set, the OD pressure stil=
l holds 480 psi after a week !!</p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>rg</p></=
div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p class=3DMs=
oNormal>On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 7:49 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:b=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</p></div><blockquo=
te style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in=
 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal style=
=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Enlarging the photo clearly shows beveling on the=
 relief ports.</p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On 3/26/2021 7:39 AM, Bob Spide=
ll wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-=
bottom:5.0pt'><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>OK, I did=
 the hard work (2 clicks) and dug up the source:<br><br><a href=3D"https://=
www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring=
-conversion-accumulator-piston.aspx">https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-heal=
ey/performance-parts/gearbox-overdrive/o-ring-conversion-accumulator-piston=
.aspx</a><br><br>They claim the housing is modified as well, maybe with bev=
els on the pressure relief ports?</p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On 3/26/2021=
 7:34 AM, Michael Salter wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote style=3D'ma=
rgin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span st=
yle=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob, I looked into =
installing &quot;O&quot; rings into an accumulator many years ago but could=
n't figure out how to get around the problem presented by the fact that the=
 accumulator relieves pressure by allowing the cast iron rings to pass over=
 radial holes in the body.</span><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-famil=
y:"Comic Sans MS"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><s=
pan style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>When I tried =
them the &quot;O&quot; rings were forced into those pressure relief holes a=
nd tiny pieces were sliced off at each hole location!!</span><span style=3D=
'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Aria=
l",sans-serif'>How do the accumulators with &quot;O&quot; rings address tha=
t issue?</span><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'=
><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-=
size:12.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Aria=
l",sans-serif'>M</span><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Comic S=
ans MS"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></p><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM B=
ob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>&gt; wrote:</p></div><blockquote style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid=
 #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in=
'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Maybe of interes=
t to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators came with metal rings, which likely =
cause or at least contribute to scoring. One of the Brit suppliers--probabl=
y AHS but I'm not sure--has an accumulator setup that uses an O-ring(s) ins=
tead of metal rings, which should prevent scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a coupl=
e years back, and if I'd known of the O-ring type I would have installed it=
. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but later ones had=
 O-rings, and it's logical to conclude LdeN went to O-rings there because o=
f excessive scoring of the cases (or, possibly, because they were cheaper).=
</p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter via Heal=
eys wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin=
-bottom:5.0pt'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Time this question was put to bed.=
 </p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>1. The throttle switch is not supposed to di=
sengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in the &quot;OVERDRIVE&quot; po=
sition. If it does the system is wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little diff=
erent)</p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>2. Overdrives which slip out, sli=
p, or won't engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are invariably suffering =
from low oil pressure which is almost always caused by accumulator issues.&=
nbsp; The &quot;O&quot; rings on the outside of the accumulator sleeve can =
be a problem but in my experience scoring of the accumulator bore and damag=
e to the rings and piston are a more common cause.</p></div><div><p class=
=3DMsoNormal>3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant to be lubrica=
ted with engine oil. Decades ago I&nbsp; wrote to Laycock DeNormanville, ba=
ck when letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a&nbsp; respons=
e from their engineering department indicating clearly that the oil specifi=
ed for their products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and whateve=
r they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.</p></div><div><p class=
=3DMsoNormal>M</p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><di=
v><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAW=
RENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">healeys@au=
tox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:</p></div><blockquote style=3D'border:none;borde=
r-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;marg=
in-right:0in'><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>The symptoms I=E2=80=99ve seen=
 and experienced are that the OD will engage and function until the oil tem=
p comes up and the viscosity drops off and will then fail. I suppose it dep=
ends on the degree of degradation of the o-rings.</p></div><p class=3DMsoNo=
rmal><img border=3D0 width=3D162 height=3D2 style=3D'width:1.6875in;height:=
.0208in' id=3D"Horizontal_x0020_Line_x0020_1" src=3D"cid:image004.png@01D72=
249.CFDA0D90"></p><div id=3D"gmail-m_5305121234551432854gmail-m_-7260173366=
705078485m_2913893478454826311divRplyFwdMsg"><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:black'>From:</span></b><span style=3D'color:black'> Healeys =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">healeys-bounces@autox=
.team.net</a>&gt; on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@c=
omcast.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 25=
, 2021 11:14 PM<br><b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">hea=
[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">heale=
[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] overdrive proble=
m</span> </p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;</p></div></div><div><p class=
=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Sure, but wouldn't faulty O-rin=
gs prevent the OD from engaging in the first place? Just guessing, but woul=
dn't a deficient pump cause same symptoms?<br><br></p><div><p class=3DMsoNo=
rmal>On 3/25/2021 4:07 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys wrote:<o:p></o:p>=
</p></div><blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><=
p class=3DMsoNormal>Sorry, but the Laycock deNormanville overdrive is not s=
upposed to kick down automatically. The most common fault that causes the O=
D to drop out is faulty o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This won=E2=80=
=99t allow the OD to build full operating pressure.</p></div><div><p class=
=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bill Lawr=
ence</p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN1 #554</p></div><p class=3DMsoNor=
mal><img border=3D0 width=3D68 height=3D2 style=3D'width:.7083in;height:.02=
08in' id=3D"Horizontal_x0020_Line_x0020_2" src=3D"cid:image007.png@01D72249=
.CFDA0D90"></p><div id=3D"gmail-m_5305121234551432854gmail-m_-7260173366705=
078485m_2913893478454826311x_divRplyFwdMsg"><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span s=
tyle=3D'color:black'>From:</span></b><span style=3D'color:black'> Healeys <=
a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.=
team.net&gt;</a> on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <a href=3D"mailto=
:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br><b>Sent:</b>=
 Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:37 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@au=
tox.team.net">[email-masked]</a> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
am.net">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys]=
 overdrive problem</span> </p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;</p></div></d=
iv><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>That is the way it should be when acceler=
ating hard, Kick down!!<br><br>Kees Oudesluijs<br><br><br>Op 23-3-2021 om 0=
1:06 schreef healeymanjim via Healeys:<br>&gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.&nb=
sp; solenoid was bad so replaced it.&nbsp; now it will go into o/d but pop =
out when accelerating.&nbsp;&nbsp; any<br>&gt; ideas what the cause is and =
the fix?</p></div></div></blockquote><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=
</p></div></div></blockquote></div></blockquote><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&=
nbsp;</o:p></p></div></blockquote></div></blockquote><p class=3DMsoNormal s=
tyle=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><pre>___________________=
____________________________</pre><pre>Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://w=
ww.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></pre><pre>Sugg=
ested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75</pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Ar=
chive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.ne=
t/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://au=
tox.team.net/archive</a></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre><a href=3D"m=
ailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></pre><pre><a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/m=
ailman/listinfo/healeys</a></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Unsubscri=
be/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidel=
[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comca=
st.net</a></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre></blockquote><p class=3DMsoNorm=
al><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></blockquote></div><p class=3DMsoNormal style=
=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:12.0pt;margin-lef=
t:4.8pt'>_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.Ne=
t <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.ht=
ml</a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D=
"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/heale=
ys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive</a><br><br><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
.net</a><br><a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"=
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a></p><p=
 class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>=

--_F3F46E31-9B03-48B4-851F-E2F0AF6F04F1_
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="1163E497F3304B248C98119B0C867166.jpg"

--_F3F46E31-9B03-48B4-851F-E2F0AF6F04F1_
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="48640915174A439BB163013D256CF6A6.png"

iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAPMAAAADCAYAAABGZDkmAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACx
jwv8YQUAAAAJcEhZcwAADsMAAA7DAcdvqGQAAAArSURBVEhLY9h/9vb/UTyKR/HQx+DMzDAKRsEo
GNIAnplH8SgexUMd3/4PAHqnesvg9pxAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

--_F3F46E31-9B03-48B4-851F-E2F0AF6F04F1_
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="F28887EF98AF4CA08683D0AEAF9B7476.png"

iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAGYAAAADCAYAAABh5nqLAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACx
jwv8YQUAAAAJcEhZcwAADsMAAA7DAcdvqGQAAAAhSURBVDhPY9h/9vb/UTz4MDhiGEbBoAEoETOK
Bxu+/R8AUhq/mWl7vCQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

--_F3F46E31-9B03-48B4-851F-E2F0AF6F04F1_--

--===============5779879285357398905==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5779879285357398905==--