Subject: [Healeys] 100 original tires.

From: Peter Svilans via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:50:14 -0400

--===============0315218791412626462==
 boundary="=_715129e1686324804645ae9b7856495e"

--=_715129e1686324804645ae9b7856495e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
 format=flowed

Hi Shawn,

Austin Healey 100's came equipped with Dunlop Road Speed 5.90-15 tires.  
These were Dunlop's tube-type (because of the wire wheels) road tires 
rated for 100mph. These slotted between their bread-and-butter tubeless 
tires, the Fort and Gold Seal, and their Racing tire which were 
mentioned as being "too noisy for road use".  The sidewall was quite 
plain-looking, except for the lettering.

The 100-Six was also fitted with so-called "Optional" Road Speeds, 
although the very rarely seen stripped-down home-market "Standard" 
disc-wheel 100-Six model technically came with Gold Seals. This was the 
case until about the middle of 1958, when the tires became the Dunlop 
RS-4.   An August 1958 road test refers to the "excellent, 
recently-introduced RS-4's".  This tire carried through to the 3000 of 
1959-60.

The 1961 Austin-Healey Mk.II came standard with the 130mph-rated Dunlop 
RS-5.

Best,

Peter
--=_715129e1686324804645ae9b7856495e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=
=3DUTF-8" /></head><body style=3D'font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana,Gen=
eva,sans-serif'>
<p>Hi Shawn,</p>
<p>Austin Healey 100's came equipped with Dunlop Road Speed 5.90-15 tires=
=2E&nbsp; These were Dunlop's tube-type (because of the wire wheels) road t=
ires rated for 100mph. These slotted between their bread-and-butter tubeles=
s tires, the Fort and Gold Seal, and their Racing tire which were mentioned=
 as being "too noisy for road use".&nbsp; The sidewall was quite plain-look=
ing, except for the lettering.</p>
<p>The 100-Six was also fitted with so-called "Optional" Road Speeds, altho=
ugh the very rarely seen stripped-down home-market "Standard" disc-wheel 10=
0-Six model technically came with Gold Seals. This was the case until about=
 the middle of 1958, when the tires became the Dunlop RS-4.&nbsp; &nbsp;An =
August 1958 road test refers to the "excellent, recently-introduced RS-4's"=
=2E&nbsp; This tire carried through to the 3000 of 1959-60.</p>
<p>The 1961 Austin-Healey Mk.II came standard with the 130mph-rated Dunlop =
RS-5.</p>
<p>Best,</p>
<p>Peter</p>
<p><br /></p>

</body></html>

--=_715129e1686324804645ae9b7856495e--

--===============0315218791412626462==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0315218791412626462==--