Subject: [Healeys] 6-cylinder Rear Crankshaft Oil Seal Conversion Kit

From: Bob Begani via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:40:45 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8162142535131359501==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0400_01D72267.277DF120"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0400_01D72267.277DF120
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When we rebuilt my BJ8 Engine I bought the Oil Seal from Moss and my
machinist friend installed it. I am confident he did a good job drilling and
tapping holes etc.  I had hoped that I would not have rear crankshaft oil
leaks.  In the past year I have driven the car a little over 1,000 miles 25
miles at I time and recently noticed those infamous oil spots on the
driveway.  Today I visited my British Car friends at Tech Central in Bonita
Springs a 100-mile round trip on I-75 nonstop at 65-75 mph.  Fortunately, I
carried 2.5 quarts of oil because I had to use it to fill the crankcase when
I got there and had to add 2.5 quarts when I got home.  In addition, I
notice the clutch slipping in 4th gear in overdrive if I accelerated.  No
doubt caused by oil on surface of the friction plate.

When I got home the weep hole in the transmission bell housing was producing
one oil drop every three seconds and when running the engine at fast idle
one drop of oil every second.

Has anyone had a failure using this seal conversion kit?

Bob Begani

------=_NextPart_000_0400_01D72267.277DF120
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>When we =
rebuilt my BJ8 Engine I bought the Oil Seal from Moss and my machinist =
friend installed it. I am confident he did a good job drilling and =
tapping holes etc. &nbsp;I had hoped that I would not have rear =
crankshaft oil leaks.&nbsp; In the past year I have driven the car a =
little over 1,000 miles 25 miles at I time and recently noticed those =
infamous oil spots on the driveway.&nbsp; Today I visited my British Car =
friends at Tech Central in Bonita Springs a 100-mile round trip on I-75 =
nonstop at 65-75 mph.&nbsp; Fortunately, I carried 2.5 quarts of oil =
because I had to use it to fill the crankcase when I got there and had =
to add 2.5 quarts when I got home.&nbsp; In addition, I notice the =
clutch slipping in 4<sup>th</sup> gear in overdrive if I =
accelerated.&nbsp; No doubt caused by oil on surface of the friction =
plate.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>When I got =
home the weep hole in the transmission bell housing was producing one =
oil drop every three seconds and when running the engine at fast idle =
one drop of oil every second.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Has anyone had =
a failure using this seal conversion kit?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0400_01D72267.277DF120--

--===============8162142535131359501==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8162142535131359501==--

---

From: Bob Begani via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 04:13:20 -0400

--===============6947745698906175093==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0502_01D722BF.861A08B0"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0502_01D722BF.861A08B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I will investigate the items
outside of the engine and must wait to disassemble the engine for those
inside the engine.  Meanwhile, I will buy lots of oil, Kitty Litter for the
oil pans under the car and not go far from home.

Best regards to all,

Bob Begani

------=_NextPart_000_0502_01D722BF.861A08B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Thanks to all =
of you for your comments.&nbsp; I will investigate the items outside of =
the engine and must wait to disassemble the engine for those inside the =
engine.&nbsp; Meanwhile, I will buy lots of oil, Kitty Litter for the =
oil pans under the car and not go far from home.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Best regards =
to all,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0502_01D722BF.861A08B0--

--===============6947745698906175093==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6947745698906175093==--