Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overheating

From: Deejay2650 via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 15:00:18 +1100

--===============8296901372371320243==

--0000000000006cacf705bd12978c

G'day to All,
I live in the Riverina district of New South Wales where temperatures go
from minus 3 degrees C (24 degrees F) in winter to 42 degrees C (104
degrees F) in summer which, I think you will agree, is a large variance.

My '67 BJ8 is running the original radiator,  Texas cooler fan, sleeved
thermostat, original water pump, Lucas D25 distributor and standard coil.
The engine is standard although 30 thou oversize. I run a 7lb psi radiator
cap.

I run de-mineralised water and Penrite Classic coolant (which contains no
anti-freeze) but has the ability to coat *all cooling surfaces* and make (I
know this sounds silly) the water *wetter *and a electric fan in front of
the radiator.Which, I may add, I have used very rarely over 6 years of
ownership.
My temps usually run from160 F to 190 F all year round with of course an
increase to 210-212C on heat soak.

The one thing that I have fitted, (which is definitely not original) is a
thin metal plate, a great idea made by a Healey mate of mine, that fits
from the bottom edge of the lower front beaver tail to the front of the
main cross-member with tech screws attaching it. It covers the entire
bottom surface underneath of the radiator and part of the sump.
The idea being is the fan draws cool air through the radiator, heats it and
then pushes the heated air down which can lead to the radiator re-breathing
the hot air again. The idea apparently is not new, DHMC apparently used it
on some of the Sebring cars.

I can tell you that it definitely works and allows your Healey to keep its
cool!
Happy Healeying,
Darryl
'67 HBJ8L41258

--0000000000006cacf705bd12978c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>G&#39;day to All,</div><div>I live in the Riverina di=
strict of New South Wales where temperatures go from minus 3 degrees C (24 =
degrees F) in winter to 42 degrees C (104 degrees F) in summer which, I thi=
nk you will agree, is a large variance. <br></div><div><br></div><div>My &#=
39;67 BJ8 is running the original radiator,=C2=A0 Texas cooler fan, sleeved=
 thermostat, original water pump, Lucas D25 distributor and standard coil. =
The engine is standard although 30 thou oversize. I run a 7lb psi radiator =
cap.<br></div><div><br></div><div>I run de-mineralised water and Penrite Cl=
assic coolant (which contains no anti-freeze) but has the ability to coat <=
b>all cooling surfaces</b> and make (I know this sounds silly) the water <b=
>wetter </b>and a electric fan in front of the radiator.Which, I may add, I=
 have used very rarely over 6 years of ownership.</div><div>My temps usuall=
y run from160 F to 190 F all year round with of course an increase to 210-2=
12C on heat soak.</div><div><br></div><div>The one thing that I have fitted=
, (which is definitely not original) is a thin metal plate, a great idea ma=
de by a Healey mate of mine, that fits from the bottom edge of the lower fr=
ont beaver tail to the front of the main cross-member with tech screws atta=
ching it. It covers the entire bottom surface underneath of the radiator an=
d part of the sump.</div><div>The idea being is the fan draws cool air thro=
ugh the radiator, heats it and then pushes the heated air down which can le=
ad to the radiator re-breathing the hot air again. The idea apparently is n=
ot new, DHMC apparently used it on some of the Sebring cars.</div><div><br>=
</div><div>I can tell you that it definitely works and allows your Healey t=
o keep its cool!</div><div>Happy Healeying,</div><div> Darryl</div><div>&#3=
9;67 HBJ8L41258<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

--0000000000006cacf705bd12978c--

--===============8296901372371320243==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8296901372371320243==--