Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Box R&R

From: Bluehealey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 19:49:50 +0100

Once the grille is out the column comes out of the front fairly easily. My only ‘tip’ regards the re-installation. Fiddling the column back through the engine bay without scraping the paint as it passes through the firewall I found to be a bit of a pain.
My method was to slip the grommet and the plate onto the column and let it slide all the way down to the box. I then put a length of 1.25” plastic waste pipe over the column and slid the lot into the engine bay introducing it to the hole in the firewall (hello firewall, pleased to meet you 😋). The plastic tube could then be drawn part way into the cockpit to act as a guide for the column, removing it from inside the car when the box is hanging loosely on its mounting bolts.
I can highly recommend the DWR zero clearance worm. It transforms the steering giving a very direct and ‘connected’ feel.
Good luck

Alan - from my iPad
Bluehealey.com

> On 9 Apr 2019, at 16:02, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Anybody done one in situ in a BJ8?  The DWR steering box, which I had inquired about last June--I was put on a waiting list--is on its way.  I've heard that getting a BJ8's grill out and in can be a bear; any advice or 'tricks?'  Other gotchas?
> 
> As daunting as this task appears, it comes at a good time as my original box is leaking pretty bad, and I'd probably need to get in on the bench to remedy that anyway.
> 
> TIA,
> 
> Bob
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive
> 
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> 
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Ken Freese <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 14:20:59 -0700 (PDT)

--===============2329575027136250736==
	boundary="----=_Part_9021032_858898879.1554844859334"

------=_Part_9021032_858898879.1554844859334
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I am satisfied with the John Deere corn head grease stopping the leak from my freshly rebuilt box with double seals. The grill comes out any way you can. From the side with the splash panels off or below. If you can get the pitman arm off in the car fine, if not you can still get the box out. When putting the worm/shaft back in be careful and do not let the bearing cages fall down and get crushed.Ken Freese65 BJ8
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 08:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box R&R

Anybody done one in situ in a BJ8?  The DWR steering box, which I had 
inquired about last June--I was put on a waiting list--is on its way.  
I've heard that getting a BJ8's grill out and in can be a bear; any 
advice or 'tricks?'  Other gotchas?

As daunting as this task appears, it comes at a good time as my original 
box is leaking pretty bad, and I'd probably need to get in on the bench 
to remedy that anyway.

TIA,

Bob

[email-masked]

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

------=_Part_9021032_858898879.1554844859334
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style> body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font=
-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}</style></head><body><div>I am satisf=
ied with the John Deere corn head grease stopping the leak from my freshly =
rebuilt box with double seals.&nbsp;</div><div>The grill comes out any way =
you can. From the side with the splash panels off or below. If you can get =
the pitman arm off in the car fine, if not you can still get the box out. W=
hen putting the worm/shaft back in be careful and do not let the bearing ca=
ges fall down and get crushed.</div><div>Ken Freese</div><div>65 BJ8</div><=
div><br></div><div>----- Original Message -----<br>From: Bob Spidell &lt;bs=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Sen=
t: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 08:02:02 -0700 (PDT)<br>Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box=
 R&amp;R<br></div><div><br></div><div>Anybody done one in situ in a BJ8?&nb=
sp; The DWR steering box, which I had <br>inquired about last June--I was p=
ut on a waiting list--is on its way.&nbsp; <br>I've heard that getting a BJ=
8's grill out and in can be a bear; any <br>advice or 'tricks?'&nbsp; Other=
 gotchas?<br></div><div><br></div><div>As daunting as this task appears, it=
 comes at a good time as my original <br>box is leaking pretty bad, and I'd=
 probably need to get in on the bench <br>to remedy that anyway.<br></div><=
div><br></div><div>TIA,<br></div><div><br></div><div>Bob<br></div><div><br>=
</div><div>_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.=
Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation $12.75<br>=
</div><div><br></div><div>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys ht=
tp://autox.team.net/archive<br></div><div><br></div><div>[email-masked]=
.net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br></div><div><br></=
div><div>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/=
[email-masked]<br></div><div><br></div><div><br>-- <br>This message has b=
een scanned for viruses and<br>dangerous content by MailScanner, and is<br>=
believed to be clean.<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><br />--=20
<br />This message has been scanned for viruses and
<br />dangerous content by
<a href=3D"http://www.mailscanner.info/"><b>MailScanner</b></a>, and is
<br />believed to be clean.
</body></html>

------=_Part_9021032_858898879.1554844859334--

--===============2329575027136250736==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2329575027136250736==--

---

From: Elton Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:59:40 -0400

Consider removing the radiator to gain better access to the grill.
Elton
On 4/9/2019 11:02 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> As daunting as this task appears, it comes at a good time as my 
> original box is leaking pretty bad, and I'd probably need to get in on 
> the bench to remedy that anyway.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]