Subject: [Healeys] Steering wheel nut

From: "rrengineer.mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:54:20 -0700

--===============0124426393802062754==

----_com.android.email_607438448878260
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

CiAgICAKCkRvZXMgYW55b25lIGtub3cgdGhlIHRocmVhZCBzaXplIGZvciB0aGUgc3RlZXJpbmcg
d2hlZWwgbnV0LiBUaGUgdGhyZWFkcyBvbiB0aGUgc2hhZnQgb2YgbXkgQk4yIGNvbHVtbiBhcmUg
YSBsaXR0bGUgYnVnZ2VyZWQgdXAgYW5kIEkgd291bGQgbGlrZSB0byBydW4gYSBkaWUgb3ZlciB0
aGVtLiBUaGUgbnV0IGp1c3QgZW5nYWdlcyB0aGUgc2hhZnRzIGxlc3MgdGhhbiBhIGZ1bGwgdHVy
biBub3cuTWlrZSBNYWNMZWFuCgpTZW50IHZpYSB0aGUgU2Ftc3VuZyBHQUxBWFkgU8KuIDUsIGFu
IEFUJlQgNEcgTFRFIHNtYXJ0cGhvbmU=

----_com.android.email_607438448878260
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_607438448878260--

--===============0124426393802062754==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0124426393802062754==--

---

From: "rrengineer.mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 19:49:25 -0700

--===============0305397051459655908==

----_com.android.email_765030295062620
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_765030295062620
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_765030295062620--

--===============0305397051459655908==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0305397051459655908==--

---

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:56:22 +1000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1298148513262754317==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1804C.686E1650"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1804C.686E1650
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

...if using the spare nut idea, cut 3 slots in the inner circumference =
(ie through the threads) =E2=80=93 it will work better as a thread =
cleaner that way.

Cheers

Peter

From: rrengineer.mike=20
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:49 PM
To: Mike ; Healey List=20
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering wheel nut

Everyone has been very helpful with the thread problem.   If it was just =
a fastener I could replace it, but such a nice smooth working steering =
box is kinda rare. The beating the thread back into shape is the method =
that appeals to my mechanical designer background.  Of course just =
running a nut back and forth would be quickest.  Just want to be careful =
as holding the steering wheel in place is kind of important. Very nice =
to have this depth and wealth of knowledge on tap. Thanks everyone.
Mike MacLean

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S=C2=AE 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Mike <[email-masked]>=20
Date: 3/16/2016 7:16 PM (GMT-08:00)=20
To: Healey List <[email-masked]>=20
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering wheel nut=20

I've also had luck just running the nut down snug, maybe adding a little =

light oil, and then backing off a tad, retightening a tad plus, and=20
repeat.  This gets rid of the little pieces of metal without gouging the =

remainder.  Patience.

Mike

On 3/16/2016 5:30 PM, J. Armour wrote:
> When I was a young trainee engineer an old bloke showed me that to
> clean-up a damaged thread by hand screw on a nut until it would not
> continue and then tap all sides of the hexagon sides of the nut while
> applying torque to turn the nut. Slowly continuing this will reshape
> damaged thread without removing metal which is what the cutting =
process of
> the die nut will do. The amount of metal in a thread form is easily
> reworked if the nut will start on a previously well formed thread..
> Biggest risk is black and bruised fingers!
> This is a crude form of roll forming a thread and we all know rolled
> threads are much stronger and better than cut threads.
> Joe
>
> On 17/03/16 10:36 AM, "Healeys on behalf of Per Schoerner"
> <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Use a thread file, could also be called a thread restorer, instead. =
If
>> you run a die or a nut over them you risk to damage the threads even =
more.
>>
>> Per
>>
>> Den 2016-03-16 kl. 20:26, skrev John Vrugtman:
>>> I had a similar problem with mine, Bruce Philips told me to buy two =
nuts
>>> and use one to clean up the threads, worked great.
>>>
>>> John
>>> 64/66 BJ8s
>>>
>>> On 3/16/2016 2:54 PM, rrengineer.mike wrote:
>>>> Does anyone know the thread size for the steering wheel nut. The
>>>> threads on the shaft of my BN2 column are a little buggered up and =
I
>>>> would like to run a die over them. The nut just engages the shafts
>>>> less than a full turn now.
>>>> Mike MacLean
>> __________________________
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

--=20

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1804C.686E1650
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>...if using the spare nut idea, cut 3 slots in the inner =
circumference (ie=20
through the threads) =E2=80=93 it will work better as a thread cleaner =
that way.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Peter</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">rrengineer.mike</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:49 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Mike</A> ; <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Healey List</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Healeys] Steering wheel nut</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV>Everyone has been very helpful with the thread problem.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
If it=20
was just a fastener I could replace it, but such a nice smooth working =
steering=20
box is kinda rare. The beating the thread back into shape is the method =
that=20
appeals to my mechanical designer background.&nbsp; Of course just =
running a nut=20
back and forth would be quickest.&nbsp; Just want to be careful as =
holding the=20
steering wheel in place is kind of important. Very nice to have this =
depth and=20
wealth of knowledge on tap. Thanks everyone.</DIV>
<DIV>Mike MacLean</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV id=3Dcomposer_signature>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 85%; COLOR: #575757">Sent via the Samsung =
GALAXY S=C2=AE 5, an=20
AT&amp;T 4G LTE smartphone</DIV></DIV><BR><BR>-------- Original message=20
--------<BR>From: Mike &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <BR>Date: =
3/16/2016 7:16=20
PM (GMT-08:00) <BR>To: Healey List &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
<BR>Subject:=20
Re: [Healeys] Steering wheel nut <BR><BR>I've also had luck just running =
the nut=20
down snug, maybe adding a little <BR>light oil, and then backing off a =
tad,=20
retightening a tad plus, and <BR>repeat.&nbsp; This gets rid of the =
little=20
pieces of metal without gouging the <BR>remainder.&nbsp;=20
Patience.<BR><BR>Mike<BR><BR>On 3/16/2016 5:30 PM, J. Armour =
wrote:<BR>&gt; When=20
I was a young trainee engineer an old bloke showed me that to<BR>&gt; =
clean-up a=20
damaged thread by hand screw on a nut until it would not<BR>&gt; =
continue and=20
then tap all sides of the hexagon sides of the nut while<BR>&gt; =
applying torque=20
to turn the nut. Slowly continuing this will reshape<BR>&gt; damaged =
thread=20
without removing metal which is what the cutting process of<BR>&gt; the =
die nut=20
will do. The amount of metal in a thread form is easily<BR>&gt; reworked =
if the=20
nut will start on a previously well formed thread..<BR>&gt; Biggest risk =
is=20
black and bruised fingers!<BR>&gt; This is a crude form of roll forming =
a thread=20
and we all know rolled<BR>&gt; threads are much stronger and better than =
cut=20
threads.<BR>&gt; Joe<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; On 17/03/16 10:36 AM, "Healeys on =
behalf of=20
Per Schoerner"<BR>&gt; &lt;[email-masked] on behalf of=20
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Hi<BR>&gt;&gt; Use a =
thread=20
file, could also be called a thread restorer, instead. If<BR>&gt;&gt; =
you run a=20
die or a nut over them you risk to damage the threads even=20
more.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Per<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Den 2016-03-16 =
kl.=20
20:26, skrev John Vrugtman:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; I had a similar problem with =
mine,=20
Bruce Philips told me to buy two nuts<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; and use one to =
clean up=20
the threads, worked great.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
John<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
64/66 BJ8s<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; On 3/16/2016 2:54 PM, =
rrengineer.mike=20
wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Does anyone know the thread size for the =
steering=20
wheel nut. The<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; threads on the shaft of my BN2 column =
are a=20
little buggered up and I<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; would like to run a die =
over them.=20
The nut just engages the shafts<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; less than a full =
turn=20
now.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Mike MacLean<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
__________________________<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
_______________________________________________<BR>&gt; Support Team.Net =

$12.75<BR>&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>&gt; Forums:=20
http://www.team.net/forums<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
[email-masked]<BR>&gt;=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<BR>&=
gt;<BR>&gt;<BR><BR>--=20
<BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Support =
Team.Net=20
$12.75<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
http://www.team.net/forums<BR><BR>[email-masked]<BR>http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<BR><BR>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<BR>=
<BR>
<P>
<HR>
_______________________________________________<BR>Support Team.Net=20
$12.75<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
http://www.team.net/forums<BR><BR>[email-masked]<BR>http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<BR><BR>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<BR>=
<BR></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1804C.686E1650--

--===============1298148513262754317==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1298148513262754317==--