Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Keeping rear shock bolts tight

From: "Bruce Steele" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:44:31 -0800 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0011_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0"

------=_NextPart_001_0011_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

For all who commented and offered suggestions on keeping rear shock bolts
tight, I had a friend who is a machinist fabricate both thick, hardened
spacers and the brackets to replace the nuts on the back side of the mounts.
Photo attached.  Cost me $100 plus around $20 for the stock.  Hope to
install them this weekend.

Ian, thanks for the plans!

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ian Hey
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 1:12 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Keeping rear shock bolts tight

Something like the attached.

Worked on my mate's car.  Mine still being rebuilt, so not personal
experience yet

Ian Hey

  _____  

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alan
Seigrist
Sent: 06 January 2016 08:00
To: 100healey
Cc: Healey list
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

 

Larry - wow, best solution I heard yet.  Especially if this plate rest flush
against the bottoms of side of the mount plate.  You could then lock the
bolts with a nut against the threaded plate after it is tightened.  Elegant.

I was half thinking to make a tab washer connected to both bolts, and
security wire  the bolts together, but I think your solution makes much more
sense.

- Alan

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Larry Varley <[email-masked]

While my comment didn't mention Mike Salter's contribution to the
discussion, and have seen the quality of Mike's work over many years, I have
no doubts about his problem solving ability. Where this situation gets
worse, as has been mentioned, is when the holes in the mount plate get worn
oval. It occurred to me that some enterprising person could devise a 3/8
thick plate with 2 tapped holes that would sit on the inside the the
mounting plate and replace the nuts. It could locate in its soundings and be
an easy retrofit to existing cars, without any welding involved, or could be
welded in during a restoration. Just a thought for what it may or may not be
worth.
Cheers
Larry Varley.

------=_NextPart_001_0011_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* =
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
	panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
	margin:70.9pt 70.9pt 70.9pt 70.9pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dblue><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif'>For all who commented =
and offered suggestions on keeping rear shock bolts tight, I had a =
friend who is a machinist fabricate both thick, hardened spacers and the =
brackets to replace the nuts on the back side of the mounts.&nbsp; Photo =
attached.&nbsp; Cost me $100 plus around $20 for the stock.&nbsp; Hope =
to install them this weekend.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif'>Ian, thanks for the =
plans!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'>Bruce Steele<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'>Brea, CA<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'>1960 BN7<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Ian =
Hey<br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, January 06, 2016 1:12 AM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] FW: Keeping rear =
shock bolts tight<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:navy'>Some=
thing like the attached.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:navy'><o:p=
>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:navy'>Work=
ed on my mate&#8217;s car.&nbsp; Mine still being rebuilt, so not =
personal experience yet<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:navy'><o:p=
>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:navy'>Ian =
Hey<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:navy'><o:p=
>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div class=3DMsoNormal align=3Dcenter =
style=3D'text-align:center'><hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" =
align=3Dcenter></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma",sans-serif'>From:</span></=
b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma",sans-serif'> =
Healeys [<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:healeys-bounces@aut=
ox.team.net</a>] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Alan Seigrist<br><b>Sent:</b> 06 =
January 2016 08:00<br><b>To:</b> 100healey<br><b>Cc:</b> Healey =
list<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts =
tight</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div=
><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>Larry - wow, best solution I =
heard yet.&nbsp; Especially if this plate rest flush against the bottoms =
of side of the mount plate.&nbsp; You could then lock the bolts with a =
nut against the threaded plate after it is tightened.&nbsp; =
Elegant.&nbsp;<br><br>I was half thinking to make a tab washer connected =
to both bolts, and security wire &nbsp;the bolts together, but I think =
your solution makes much more sense.<o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>- =
Alan<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB>On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Larry Varley &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB>While my comment didn't mention Mike Salter's contribution =
to the discussion, and have seen the quality of Mike's work over many =
years, I have no doubts about his problem solving ability. Where this =
situation gets worse, as has been mentioned, is when the holes in the =
mount plate get worn oval. It occurred to me that some enterprising =
person could devise a 3/8 thick plate with 2 tapped holes that would sit =
on the inside the the mounting plate and replace the nuts. It could =
locate in its soundings and be an easy retrofit to existing cars, =
without any welding involved, or could be welded in during a =
restoration. Just a thought for what it may or may not be =
worth.<br>Cheers<br>Larry =
Varley.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0011_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0--

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0
	name="Rear shock mount brackets 160220.jpeg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Rear shock mount brackets 160220.jpeg"

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D16F22.A2FEBDF0--