Subject: [Healeys] Washer question

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 17:14:43 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4737151051605767862==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0025_01D1674B.334BAA60"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01D1674B.334BAA60
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Not the most helpful topic title but here goes anyhow.........In a 3000:-

There are three so-called "Cover, cylinder side" on the RHS of the engine.
That is to say three little hatches through which one accesses the push rods
etcetc. The generator is mounted on the front one; the breather comes off
the rear one. So....

Mine have always seeped a little oil, nothing much but I decided to sort it
out. I ordered three new cork gaskets and the appropriate washers and seals
for the bolts that hold the covers onto the block. Somewhat to my surprise I
received:

1)       3 little bits of black rubber which resemble sections of rubber
tubing about 6mm long and about 4mm across. They are, it seems, designed to
go under the cover and but up against it to help prevent the outward creep
of oil. The bolts would pass through them and slightly squash them in order
that they fill the space around the bolt. See what I mean?????

2)      3 little flat fibre washers.

Now, it is these latter about whom I am confused. The tops of the covers has
a slightly "dished" area through which the bolts access the block. Into that
dished area go, on my car at least, shaped copper washers that are, I
suppose, designed to take up the slack somehow. But how will a flat fibre
washer cope with a washer in a dished area without being crushed, breaking
and thus rendered useless? Are the fibre washers to go under the copper,
over the copper or instead of it? Or could they be designed to sit between
the rubber and the inside face of the covers? ie they'd be tucked away
inside the covers.

These parts are not in the BMC parts book.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01D1674B.334BAA60
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:1125612457;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-16219204 134807569 134807577 134807579 134807567 =
134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Not the =
most helpful topic title but here goes anyhow.........In a =
3000:-<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>There are three so-called =
&#8220;Cover, cylinder side&#8221; on the RHS of the engine. That is to =
say three little hatches through which one accesses the push rods =
etcetc. The generator is mounted on the front one; the breather comes =
off the rear one. So....<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Mine have =
always seeped a little oil, nothing much but I decided to sort it out. I =
ordered three new cork gaskets and the appropriate washers and seals for =
the bolts that hold the covers onto the block. Somewhat to my surprise I =
received:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>&nbsp;3 little bits of black rubber which =
resemble sections of rubber tubing about 6mm long and about 4mm across. =
They are, it seems, designed to go under the cover and but up against it =
to help prevent the outward creep of oil. The bolts would pass through =
them and slightly squash them in order that they fill the space around =
the bolt. See what I mean?????<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>3 little flat fibre washers.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Now, it is these latter about whom I am confused. The =
tops of the covers has a slightly &#8220;dished&#8221; area through =
which the bolts access the block. Into that dished area go, on my car at =
least, shaped copper washers that are, I suppose, designed to take up =
the slack somehow. But how will a flat fibre washer cope with a washer =
in a dished area without being crushed, breaking and thus rendered =
useless? Are the fibre washers to go under the copper, over the copper =
or instead of it? Or could they be designed to sit between the rubber =
and the inside face of the covers? ie they&#8217;d be tucked away inside =
the covers.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>These parts are not in =
the BMC parts book.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Any =
ideas?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0025_01D1674B.334BAA60--

--===============4737151051605767862==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4737151051605767862==--