Subject: [Healeys] spun bearings

From: "healeymanjim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:32:25 -0800

I have changed many seals and have always had to drive out the bearing with a brass drift and drive it back in.  cannot imagine it spinning inside, but I have been wrong many times.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:22:09 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============0147235882626045072==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00D6_01D03D50.8C93F850"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01D03D50.8C93F850
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Kees wrote:

Ball/needle/roller bearings can only spin when the there is debris 
inside the bearing from e.g. a broken cage, balls/needles/rollers, diff 
that block the bearing causing the outer cage to turn. This happens 
mainly because people drive there cars until the bearing starts to break 
up, well into or beyond the rumbling stage.
<<<

I don't think it's that absolute. In my case it was a year-old bearing that
spun with no apparent damage to the bearing other than having the outside
buffed to a high sheen. The operation remains perfectly smooth.

Personally, I'm persuaded that the act of clamping the inside and outside,
per the manual, is preferable to shrinking or driving or gluing the bearing
in, leaving the spacer loose and hoping for the best.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

Check out my galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01D03D50.8C93F850
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Kees =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&gt;&gt;&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br>Ball/needle/roller bearings can only spin when the =
there is debris <br>inside the bearing from e.g. a broken cage, =
balls/needles/rollers, diff <br>that block the bearing causing the outer =
cage to turn. This happens <br>mainly because people drive there cars =
until the bearing starts to break <br>up, well into or beyond the =
rumbling stage.<br>&lt;&lt;&lt;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s that absolute. In my case it was a year-old =
bearing that spun with no apparent damage to the bearing other than =
having the outside buffed to a high sheen. The operation remains =
perfectly smooth.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Personally, =
I&#8217;m persuaded that the act of clamping the inside and outside, per =
the manual, is preferable to shrinking or driving or gluing the bearing =
in, leaving the spacer loose and hoping for the best.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01D03D50.8C93F850--

--===============0147235882626045072==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0147235882626045072==--