Subject: [Healeys] torque wrench

From: "healeymanjim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 21:47:25 -0800

I wonder how many healeys out there have not had a torque wrench close to them in many years. lot of shade tree mechanics back then that had minimum tools working on these cars.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 06:48:08 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5675198727004368790==
 boundary="------------040701080605040803020900"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040701080605040803020900
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

If you have the correct range/size and if you calibrated/checked it, 
which is a very simple job, these old fashioned, what you call beam 
torque, wrenches are sufficiently accurate, whatever the price.
If you want the convenience of the modern torque wrench you will have to 
splash out for a decent one i.e. Belzer, Gedore, Snap-on, Hazet, 
Teng-Tools (which is cheaper) etc. to be sure it is accurate and 
consistent. Always return the setting to zero when storing the tool. 
Keep it dry, clean and in the box.
Get the proper range for the job which means that the desired torque 
should preferably be fairly near the max. torque of the wrench, but at 
least over 50% of it.
Make sure that treads and all parts are free of burrs and absolutely 
clean and dry (absolutely no oil or grease, unless stated otherwise in 
the manual). If one would lubricate, the correct torque setting would 
create far too big a stress on the stud/bolt. If possible use new 
bolts/studs, washers and nuts.
Setting the full torque with a torque wrench is not very accurate 
anyhow. In modern applications the "torque" is set by a low initial 
torque and then the bolt/nut is turned a specified amount of degrees. 
Also bolt, nut, washers, parts are usually lubricated when using this method
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

rrengineer.mike schreef op 15-1-2015 om 4:46:
> I have a beam type also. I just want more accuracy.
> Mike MacLean
>
>
> Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Mike <[email-masked]>
> Date:01/14/2015 19:25 (GMT-08:00)
> To: Healey List <[email-masked]>
> Cc:
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Torque Wrench
>
> I have had a beam-type for many, many years, and have had no problems.
> I don't know how accurate it is, but it is consistent. While it's nice
> to have the specified torque spot-on, it is just as important to have
> all the bolts the same.  The beam-type can do this just fine. Never had
> any problems.  Not much to break, either. IMHO.
>
> Mike
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5645 / Virusdatabase: 4260/8927 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 01/13/15
>

--------------040701080605040803020900
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">If you have the correct range/size and
      if you calibrated/checked it, which is a very simple job, these
      old fashioned, what you call beam torque, wrenches are
      sufficiently accurate, whatever the price.<br>
      If you want the convenience of the modern torque wrench you will
      have to splash out for a decent one i.e. Belzer, Gedore, Snap-on,
      Hazet, Teng-Tools (which is cheaper) etc. to be sure it is
      accurate and consistent. Always return the setting to zero when
      storing the tool. Keep it dry, clean and in the box.<br>
      Get the proper range for the job which means that the desired
      torque should preferably be fairly near the max. torque of the
      wrench, but at least over 50% of it. <br>
      Make sure that treads and all parts are free of burrs and
      absolutely clean and dry (absolutely no oil or grease, unless
      stated otherwise in the manual). If one would lubricate, the
      correct torque setting would create far too big a stress on the
      stud/bolt. If possible use new bolts/studs, washers and nuts.<br>
      Setting the full torque with a torque wrench is not very accurate
      anyhow. In modern applications the "torque" is set by a low
      initial torque and then the bolt/nut is turned a specified amount
      of degrees. Also bolt, nut, washers, parts are usually lubricated
      when using this method<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      NL<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      rrengineer.mike schreef op 15-1-2015 om 4:46:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div>I have a beam type also. I just want more accuracy. </div>
      <div>Mike MacLean</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>
        <div>Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&amp;T 4G LTE
          smartphone</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <br>
      -------- Original message --------<br>
      From: Mike <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> <br>
      Date:01/14/2015 19:25 (GMT-08:00) <br>
      To: Healey List <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> <br>
      Cc: <br>
      Subject: Re: [Healeys] Torque Wrench <br>
      <br>
      I have had a beam-type for many, many years, and have had no
      problems.  <br>
      I don't know how accurate it is, but it is consistent. While it's
      nice <br>
      to have the specified torque spot-on, it is just as important to
      have <br>
      all the bolts the same.  The beam-type can do this just fine. 
      Never had <br>
      any problems.  Not much to break, either. IMHO.<br>
      <br>
      Mike<br>
      _______________________________________________<br>
      Support Team.Net <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
      Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
      Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
      Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
      <br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
      <br>
      Unsubscribe/Manage:
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5645 / Virusdatabase: 4260/8927 - datum van
        uitgifte: 01/13/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040701080605040803020900--

--===============5675198727004368790==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5675198727004368790==--