Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:42:09 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7478458392185137049==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0097_01D03ADE.AFBE9D40"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01D03ADE.AFBE9D40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

IMHO the basic issue with advanced drum brakes is complexity (i.e. cost). 

Late '50s early '60s Alfas had aluminum alfin drums with diagonal fins with
cast-in steel liners and cast aluminum triple-leading shoes. That's 6
cylinders on the fronts alone.

The ATE discs Alfa and Porsche adopted provided equivalent or better
stopping power at less complexity and cost. I heard later Porsche's reason
for going with discs was cost.

As a side note, In the '70s, Phil Hill said the drums on Grand Prix cars
would go away part way through the race; in combination with burning up 60
gallons of fuel in a rear tank, this made for pretty interesting handling.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

Check out my galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01D03ADE.AFBE9D40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>IMHO the =
basic issue with advanced drum brakes is complexity (i.e. cost). =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Late &#8216;50s early &#8216;60s Alfas had aluminum =
alfin drums with diagonal fins with cast-in steel liners and cast =
aluminum triple-leading shoes. That&#8217;s 6 cylinders on the fronts =
alone.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The ATE discs Alfa and Porsche adopted provided =
equivalent or better stopping power at less complexity and cost. I heard =
later Porsche&#8217;s reason for going with discs was =
cost.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>As a side note, In the &#8216;70s, Phil Hill said the =
drums on Grand Prix cars would go away part way through the race; in =
combination with burning up 60 gallons of fuel in a rear tank, this made =
for pretty interesting handling.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0097_01D03ADE.AFBE9D40--

--===============7478458392185137049==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7478458392185137049==--