Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question - test results

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:27:47 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============6667301965816348712==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D03B17.5D4405D0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D03B17.5D4405D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I measured my rear hub clearance today at .004" between the bearing spacer
and the face of the bearing carrier - sans paper gasket and o-ring.

Therefore I made a gasket out of .005" envelope paper and installed it with
a light partial coat of hylomar.

See: http://www.pbase.com/image/158968947 and the succeeding image.

My new Moss gasket had compressed from .014" to .010" - leaving the bearing
spacer loose by .006".

Gary Hodson wrote:

.The shop manual states: "the bearing spacer must protrude between 0.001"
and 0.004" beyond the face of the hub & paper gasket. This is to make sure
the bearing is firmly gripped between the abutment shoulder in the hub and
paper washer." 
That means that the gasket thickness depends upon the spacer thickness,
which is why the gasket would be considered a shim. For example: If the shim
protrudes by 0.010" without the gasket you will need a gasket that is
between .006" and .009" thick. I do not believe we are really compressing
the gasket. The axle is held in place by the two small Phillips head screws.
We may be bending the axle flange very slightly to take up the .001"-.004"
gap when we tighten the lug nuts that hold the splined hub extension onto
the hub.
<<<

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

Check out my galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D03B17.5D4405D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I measured =
my rear hub clearance today at .004&#8221; between the bearing spacer =
and the face of the bearing carrier &#8211; sans paper gasket and =
o-ring.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Therefore I made a gasket out =
of .005&#8221; envelope paper and installed it with a light partial coat =
of hylomar.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>See: <a =
href=3D"http://www.pbase.com/image/158968947">http://www.pbase.com/image/=
158968947</a> and the succeeding image.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>My new Moss =
gasket had compressed from .014&#8221; to .010&#8221; &#8211; leaving =
the bearing spacer loose by .006&#8221;.<br><br>Gary Hodson =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&gt;&gt;&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&#8230;The shop manual states: &quot;the bearing =
spacer must protrude between 0.001&quot; and 0.004&quot; beyond the face =
of the hub &amp; paper gasket. This is to make sure the bearing is =
firmly gripped between the abutment shoulder in the hub and paper =
washer.&quot; <br>That means that the gasket thickness depends upon the =
spacer thickness, which is why the gasket would be considered a shim. =
For example: If the shim protrudes by 0.010&quot; without the gasket you =
will need a gasket that is between .006&quot; and .009&quot; thick. I do =
not believe we are really compressing the gasket. The axle is held in =
place by the two small Phillips head screws.&nbsp;&nbsp;We may be =
bending the axle flange very slightly to take up the =
.001&quot;-.004&quot; gap when we tighten the lug nuts that hold the =
splined hub extension onto the hub.<br> &lt;&lt;&lt;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D03B17.5D4405D0--

--===============6667301965816348712==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6667301965816348712==--