Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

From: "Steve B. Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:25:55 -0800

Some observations:
New Moss gasket - .014"
Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as removed from axle - .010"

.004" = copier paper

My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear rotor/caliper back in place or I'd try to do a science project here.

For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly together without gasket and measure the gap with shims, then add .003" to that.

The new bearing, assembled with heat and cold per Tom Monaco's instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the bearing depends on this more than the compression of the spacer, gasket, etc.

-- 
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA
BN6

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: [email-masked]
>  To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>  Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question
>  Sent: Jan 26 '15 08:41
>  
>  I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the three axles I have actual
>  experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick so that the
>  spacer met the specified tolerances in the workshop manual. The gaskets I
>  purchased were all approx. 0.010" thick. That would be a lot of squish. You
>  would have to squish it without the bearing spacer in place. Then remove
>  the axle & measure how much the spacer stood proud of the gasket. Then
>  reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to just make a
>  gasket of the proper thickness.
>  
>  Gary Hodson
>  
>  
>  From: Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]>
>  Subject: RE: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question
>  
>  
>  If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, wouldn’t they compress
>  down to a proper size as you tightened up?
>  
>  Just a thought..............
>  
>  Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

ox.team.net

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:46:27 -0500

--===============6139137197981486069==

--001a11342dde07664c050d951210
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Well you may be over thinking it but you are at least keeping us amused :-)
BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the "O" ring seal so I think in their
cases the gasket was the seal..
Pooffff goes that theory..
Michael S
BN1 #174

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B. Gerow <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain logic to it - except
> the o-ring does the actual sealing, correct?
>
> Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we compress the gasket
> from, say .014" to .010". At .010, the axle center makes contact with the
> spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There is then .010" between th=
e
> carrier and axle flange. The gasket takes up the slack - is the compresse=
d
> gasket strong enough to in effect be a shim between these two parts?
>
> Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle flange is
> also bending slightly to take up this gap.
>
> Betcha I'm over-thinking this! :-)
>
>
>
> --
> Steve Gerow
>
>
>
> >  From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
> >  To: Steve B. Gerow <[email-masked]>
> >  Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>,
> [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >  Sent: Jan 26 '15 11:28
> >  One other observation on this subject.
> >
> >
> >  This is, I believe, the only place on a Healey where 'conical" seat nu=
ts
> >  are used.
> >  It has been my experience that conical seat nuts always require
> re-torquing
> >  after a little  use. Just like the lug nuts on your every day driver i=
f
> >  you torque them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find that th=
e
> >  nuts will take up to half a turn just to restore them to the original
> >  torque.
> >
> >
> >  That said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding aggressive
> use.
> >  On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those nuts after every day
> of
> >  competition and they would always go on an additional flat or so.. I
> always
> >  wondered where that extra tightening room came from because after a
> week of
> >  Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at least one full
> turn
> >  ... that's 0.055".
> >
> >
> >  I "forgot" to mention to co-driver Michael O that a likely cause was
> >  stretching of the studs..:-).
> >
> >
> >  Michael S
> >  [LINK: http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html]
> >  http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html
> >
> >
> >  On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steve B. Gerow <[LINK:
> >  mailto:[email-masked]] [email-masked]> wrote:
> >  Some observations:
> >  New Moss gasket - .014"
> >  Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as removed from axle - .010=
"
> >
> >  .004" =3D copier paper
> >
> >  My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear rotor/caliper ba=
ck
> >  in place or I'd try to do a science project here.
> >
> >  For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly
> together
> >  without gasket and measure the gap with shims, then add .003" to that.
> >
> >  The new bearing, assembled with heat and cold per Tom Monaco's
> >  instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the bearin=
g
> >  depends on this more than the compression of the spacer, gasket, etc.
> >
> >
> >  --
> >  Steve Gerow
> >  Altadena, CA
> >  BN6
> >
> >
> >  >  From: [LINK: mailto:[email-masked]] [email-masked]
> >  >  To: [LINK: mailto:[email-masked]]
> >  [email-masked], [LINK: mailto:[email-masked]]
> >  [email-masked], [LINK: mailto:[email-masked]]
> >  [email-masked]
> >  >  I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the three axles I have actua=
l
> >  >  experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick so tha=
t
> >  the
> >  >  reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to just mak=
e
> a
> >  >  From: Simon Lachlan <[LINK: mailto:[email-masked]]
> >  [email-masked]>
> >  >  If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, wouldn=E2=80=99t t=
hey
> >  compress
> >  Support Team.Net [LINK: http://www.team.net/donate.html]
> >  http://www.team.net/donate.html
> >  Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> >  Archive: [LINK: http://www.team.net/archive]
> http://www.team.net/archive
> >  Forums: [LINK: http://www.team.net/forums] http://www.team.net/forums
> >
> >  [LINK: mailto:[email-masked]] [email-masked]
> >  [LINK: http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys]
> >  Unsubscribe/Manage: [LINK:
> >  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]]
> >  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> >
> >
> >  --
> >
> >
> >  If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
>

--=20
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--001a11342dde07664c050d951210
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sa=
ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Well you may be over thinking it but you =
are at least keeping us amused :-)<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" st=
yle=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BTW the BN1, B=
N2 and 100S didn&#39;t have the &quot;O&quot; ring seal so I think in their=
 cases the gasket was the seal..<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Pooffff goes tha=
t theory..<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic=
 sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br></div><div class=3D"gmail=
_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN=
1 #174<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic san=
s ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br></div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"=
><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B. G=
erow <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote cla=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pa=
dding-left:1ex">The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain logic to=
 it - except the o-ring does the actual sealing, correct?<br>
<br>
Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we compress the gasket from=
, say .014&quot; to .010&quot;. At .010, the axle center makes contact with=
 the spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There is then .010&quot; be=
tween the carrier and axle flange. The gasket takes up the slack - is the c=
ompressed gasket strong enough to in effect be a shim between these two par=
ts?<br>
<br>
Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle flange is a=
lso bending slightly to take up this gap.<br>
<br>
Betcha I&#39;m over-thinking this! :-)<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
--<br>
Steve Gerow<br>
<span class=3D""><br>
<br>
<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 -------Original Message-------<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 From: Michael Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
om">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 To: Steve B. Gerow &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Cc: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;, <a h=
ref=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a=
>, <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<br>
</span><span class=3D"">&gt;=C2=A0 Sent: Jan 26 &#39;15 11:28<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 One other observation on this subject.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 This is, I believe, the only place on a Healey where &#39;conica=
l&quot; seat nuts<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 are used.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 It has been my experience that conical seat nuts always require =
re-torquing<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 after a little=C2=A0 use. Just like the lug nuts on your every d=
ay driver if<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 you torque them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find t=
hat the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 nuts will take up to half a turn just to restore them to the ori=
ginal<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 torque.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 That said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding aggres=
sive use.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those nuts after eve=
ry day of<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 competition and they would always go on an additional flat or so=
.. I always<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 wondered where that extra tightening room came from because afte=
r a week of<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at least one=
 full turn<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 ... that&#39;s 0.055&quot;.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 I &quot;forgot&quot; to mention to co-driver Michael O that a li=
kely cause was<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 stretching of the studs..:-).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Michael S<br>
</span>&gt;=C2=A0 [LINK: <a href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12=
.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a>]<=
br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a><br>
<span class=3D"">&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steve B. Gerow &lt;[LINK:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">steveg@abrazosd=
ata.com</a>] <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
om</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Some observations:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 New Moss gasket - .014&quot;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as removed from axle =
- .010&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 .004&quot; =3D copier paper<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear rotor/cali=
per back<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 in place or I&#39;d try to do a science project here.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly=
 together<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 without gasket and measure the gap with shims, then add .003&quo=
t; to that.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 The new bearing, assembled with heat and cold per Tom Monaco&#39=
;s<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the =
bearing<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 depends on this more than the compression of the spacer, gasket,=
 etc.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 --<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Steve Gerow<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Altadena, CA<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 BN6<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 -------Original Message-------<br>
</span><span class=3D"">&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 From: [LINK: mailto:<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>] <a href=3D"mailto:wa=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 To: [LINK: mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:simon.lachlan@hom=
ecall.co.uk">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">simon.lachlan@ho=
mecall.co.uk</a>, [LINK: mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">s=
[email-masked]</a>]<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>, [LINK: mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">healeys@autox=
.team.net</a>]<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a><br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 Sent: Jan 26 &#39;15 08:41<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the three axle=
s I have actual<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004=
&quot; thick so that<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 spacer met the specified tolerances in the workshop m=
anual. The<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 gaskets I<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 purchased were all approx. 0.010&quot; thick. That wo=
uld be a lot of<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 squish. You<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 would have to squish it without the bearing spacer in=
 place. Then<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 remove<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 the axle &amp; measure how much the spacer stood prou=
d of the gasket. Then<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easi=
er to just make a<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 gasket of the proper thickness.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 Gary Hodson<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
</span>&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 From: Simon Lachlan &lt;[LINK: mailto:<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>]<=
br>
<span class=3D"">&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 Subject: RE: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, woul=
dn=E2=80=99t they<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 compress<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 down to a proper size as you tightened up?<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 Just a thought..............<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;=C2=A0 Simon<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 _______________________________________________<br>
</span>&gt;=C2=A0 Support Team.Net [LINK: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/do=
nate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>]<br>
<span class=3D"">&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
</span>&gt;=C2=A0 Archive: [LINK: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>] <a href=3D"http://www.tea=
m.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Forums: [LINK: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"=
_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>] <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/foru=
ms" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 [LINK: mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Healeys@=
autox.team.net</a>] <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Healeys@autox=
.team.net</a><br>
&gt;=C2=A0 [LINK: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys=
" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>]<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 Unsubscribe/Manage: [LINK:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/h=
ealeys/[email-masked]</a>]<br>
<div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">&gt;=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><=
br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 --<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 If you can&#39;t fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an electri=
cal problem.<br>
</div></div></blockquote></div><br><br clear=3D"all"><br>-- <br><div class=
=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><i><font><span =
style=3D"color:black">If you can&#39;t fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got=
 an electrical problem.</span></font></i><br><br><div></div><div></div><div=
></div></div></div></div></div>
</div>

--001a11342dde07664c050d951210--

--===============6139137197981486069==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6139137197981486069==--

---

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:19:04 +1000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2371386800926649289==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03A12.4C4B25C0"
Content-Language: en-au

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03A12.4C4B25C0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am thinking that would BMC engineering in those days be so =
sophisticated that they would be worried about .004=E2=80=9D to =
.010=E2=80=9D. Judging from what I have seen over the years, I doubt it. =
IIRC, I used a grey silicone as a sealer- works ok for me.

John Rowe

Qld Australia

BN1 BT7

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =
Michael Salter
Sent: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 7:46 AM
To: Steve B. Gerow
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

=20

Well you may be over thinking it but you are at least keeping us amused =
:-)

BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the "O" ring seal so I think in =
their cases the gasket was the seal..

Michael S

BN1 #174

=20

=20

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B. Gerow <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain logic to it - except =
the o-ring does the actual sealing, correct?

Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we compress the gasket =
from, say .014" to .010". At .010, the axle center makes contact with =
the spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There is then .010" =
between the carrier and axle flange. The gasket takes up the slack - is =
the compressed gasket strong enough to in effect be a shim between these =
two parts?

Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle flange =
is also bending slightly to take up this gap.

--
Steve Gerow

>  Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, =
>  This is, I believe, the only place on a Healey where 'conical" seat =
nuts
>  are used.
>  It has been my experience that conical seat nuts always require =
re-torquing
>  after a little  use. Just like the lug nuts on your every day driver =
if
>  you torque them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find that =
the
>  That said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding aggressive =
use.
>  On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those nuts after every =
day of
>  competition and they would always go on an additional flat or so.. I =
always
>  wondered where that extra tightening room came from because after a =
week of
>  Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at least one full =
turn
>  Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as removed from axle - =
.010"
>
>  .004" =3D copier paper
>
>  My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear rotor/caliper =
back
>  For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly =
together
>  without gasket and measure the gap with shims, then add .003" to =
that.
>  instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the =
bearing
>  >  I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the three axles I have =
actual
>  >  experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick so =
that
>  >  the axle & measure how much the spacer stood proud of the gasket. =
Then
>  >  reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to just =
make a
>  >  If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, wouldn=E2=80=99t =
they
>  Archive: [LINK: http://www.team.net/archive] =
>  =

--=20

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03A12.4C4B25C0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>I am thinking that would BMC engineering in those days be so =
sophisticated that they would be worried about .004=E2=80=9D to =
.010=E2=80=9D. Judging from what I have seen over the years, I doubt it. =
IIRC, I used a grey silicone as a sealer- works ok for =
me.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>John Rowe<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Qld Australia<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>BN1 BT7<o:p></o:p></span></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Michael =
Salter<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, 27 January 2015 7:46 AM<br><b>To:</b> =
Steve B. Gerow<br><b>Cc:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> =
Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'>Well you =
may be over thinking it but you are at least keeping us amused =
:-)<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'>BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't =
have the &quot;O&quot; ring seal so I think in their cases the gasket =
was the seal..<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'>Pooffff =
goes that theory..<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'>Michael =
S<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'>BN1 =
#174<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On Mon, =
Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B. Gerow &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain =
logic to it - except the o-ring does the actual sealing, =
correct?<br><br>Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we =
compress the gasket from, say .014&quot; to .010&quot;. At .010, the =
axle center makes contact with the spacer ring and bearing, coming to a =
stop. There is then .010&quot; between the carrier and axle flange. The =
gasket takes up the slack - is the compressed gasket strong enough to in =
effect be a shim between these two parts?<br><br>Michael - maybe when =
extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle flange is also bending =
slightly to take up this gap.<br><br>Betcha I'm over-thinking this! =
:-)<br><br><br><br>--<br>Steve Gerow<br><br><br><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
-------Original Message-------<br>&gt;&nbsp; From: Michael Salter &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<b=
r>&gt;&nbsp; To: Steve B. Gerow &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>=
&gt;&nbsp; Cc: <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;, <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>, <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;=
&nbsp; Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
Sent: Jan 26 '15 11:28<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; One other observation on =
this subject.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; This is, I believe, the only =
place on a Healey where 'conical&quot; seat nuts<br>&gt;&nbsp; are =
used.<br>&gt;&nbsp; It has been my experience that conical seat nuts =
always require re-torquing<br>&gt;&nbsp; after a little&nbsp; use. Just =
like the lug nuts on your every day driver if<br>&gt;&nbsp; you torque =
them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find that =
the<br>&gt;&nbsp; nuts will take up to half a turn just to restore them =
to the original<br>&gt;&nbsp; torque.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; That =
said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding aggressive =
use.<br>&gt;&nbsp; On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those =
nuts after every day of<br>&gt;&nbsp; competition and they would always =
go on an additional flat or so.. I always<br>&gt;&nbsp; wondered where =
that extra tightening room came from because after a week =
of<br>&gt;&nbsp; Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at =
least one full turn<br>&gt;&nbsp; ... that's =
0.055&quot;.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; I &quot;forgot&quot; to =
mention to co-driver Michael O that a likely cause was<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
stretching of the studs..:-).<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; Michael =
S<br>&gt;&nbsp; [LINK: <a =
href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a>]<br>&g=
t;&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a><br>&gt=
;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steve B. Gerow =
&lt;[LINK:<br>&gt;&nbsp; mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>] <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br>&gt;&nbsp; Some observations:<br>&gt;&nbsp; New Moss gasket - =
.014&quot;<br>&gt;&nbsp; Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as =
removed from axle - .010&quot;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; .004&quot; =3D =
copier paper<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; My axle is buttoned up with a new =
gasket and the rear rotor/caliper back<br>&gt;&nbsp; in place or I'd try =
to do a science project here.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; For a gasket =
thickness, perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly =
together<br>&gt;&nbsp; without gasket and measure the gap with shims, =
then add .003&quot; to that.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; The new bearing, =
assembled with heat and cold per Tom Monaco's<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the =
bearing<br>&gt;&nbsp; depends on this more than the compression of the =
spacer, gasket, etc.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; --<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
Steve Gerow<br>&gt;&nbsp; Altadena, CA<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
BN6<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; -------Original =
Message-------<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; From: [LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>] <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;&nbsp; To: [LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>, [LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>]<br>&gt=
;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>, =
[LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>]<br>&gt=
;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;=
&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket =
question<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Sent: Jan 26 '15 08:41<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the =
three axles I have actual<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; experience with the =
gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004&quot; thick so that<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
the<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; spacer met the specified tolerances in the =
workshop manual. The<br>&gt;&nbsp; gaskets I<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; =
purchased were all approx. 0.010&quot; thick. That would be a lot =
of<br>&gt;&nbsp; squish. You<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; would have to =
squish it without the bearing spacer in place. Then<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
remove<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; the axle &amp; measure how much the =
spacer stood proud of the gasket. Then<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; =
reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to just make =
a<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; gasket of the proper thickness.<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Gary Hodson<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; From: Simon Lachlan =
&lt;[LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Subject: RE: [Healeys] Rear axle =
gasket question<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;&nbsp; If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, =
wouldn=E2=80=99t they<br>&gt;&nbsp; compress<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; =
down to a proper size as you tightened up?<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Just a thought..............<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Simon<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
_______________________________________________<br>&gt;&nbsp; Support =
Team.Net [LINK: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>] <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; Forums: =
[LINK: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>] <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
[LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>] <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;=
&nbsp; [LINK: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>]<br>=
&gt;&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>&=
gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; Unsubscribe/Manage: [LINK:<br>&gt;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail=
.com" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsa=
[email-masked]</a>]<o:p></o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&gt;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail=
.com" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsa=
[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
--<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; If you can't fix it with a hammer, =
you've got an electrical problem.<o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br><br clear=3Dall><br>-- =
<o:p></o:p></p><div><div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><i><span style=3D'color:black'>If you =
can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical =
problem.</span></i><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div></div></div></div></b=
ody></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03A12.4C4B25C0--

--===============2371386800926649289==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2371386800926649289==--

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:26:27 -0800

--===============1884739528430777803==

--Apple-Mail-7--521527602
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

My BN6 has no O-ring, and the BMC workshop manual doesn't show one.=20

> I am thinking that would BMC engineering in those days be so =
sophisticated that they would be worried about .004=94 to .010=94. =
Judging from what I have seen over the years, I doubt it. IIRC, I used a =
grey silicone as a sealer- works ok for me.
Michael Salter
> Well you may be over thinking it but you are at least keeping us =
amused :-)
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B. Gerow =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain logic to it - =
except the o-ring does the actual sealing, correct?
nuts
re-torquing
> >  after a little  use. Just like the lug nuts on your every day =
driver if
the
> >  nuts will take up to half a turn just to restore them to the =
original
> >  torque.
> >
> >
> >  That said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding =
aggressive use.
day of
> >  competition and they would always go on an additional flat or so.. =
I always
week of
> >  Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at least one =
full turn
> >  ... that's 0.055".
> >
> >
> >  I "forgot" to mention to co-driver Michael O that a likely cause =
was
.010"
back
together
that.
bearing
> >  depends on this more than the compression of the spacer, gasket, =
etc.
actual
that
> >  >  would have to squish it without the bearing spacer in place. =
Then
> >  remove
> >  >  the axle & measure how much the spacer stood proud of the =
gasket. Then
make a
> >  >  If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, wouldn=92t they
> >  compress
> >  Forums: [LINK: http://www.team.net/forums] =
http://www.team.net/forums
> >
> >
> >  --
> >
> >
> >  If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical =
problem.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>=20
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-7--521527602
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><base href=3D"x-msg://108/"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div>My BN6 has no O-ring, and the BMC workshop =
manual doesn't show =
one.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><br><div><div>On Jan 26, =
2015, at 3:19 PM, John Rowe wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
lang=3D"EN-AU" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple"><div class=3D"WordSection1" =
style=3D"page: WordSection1; "><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I am =
thinking that would BMC engineering in those days be so sophisticated =
that they would be worried about .004=94 to .010=94. Judging from what I =
have seen over the years, I doubt it. IIRC, I used a grey silicone as a =
sealer- works ok for me.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: =
rgb(31, 73, 125); ">John Rowe<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Qld =
Australia<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">BN1 =
BT7<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"border-right-style: none; =
border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: =
initial; border-color: initial; border-top-style: solid; =
border-top-color: rgb(181, 196, 223); border-top-width: 1pt; =
padding-top: 3pt; padding-right: 0cm; padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left: =
0cm; "><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: =
0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; "><b><span lang=3D"EN-US" style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Tahoma, sans-serif; ">From:</span></b><span lang=3D"EN-US" =
style=3D"font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma, sans-serif; "><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><b>On Behalf Of<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></b>Michael =
Salter<br><b>Sent:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Tuesday, 27 January 2015 =
7:46 AM<br><b>To:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Steve B. =
Gerow<br><b>Cc:</b><span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Subject:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Re: [Healeys] Rear axle =
gasket question<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-family:=
 'Comic Sans MS'; ">Well you may be over thinking it but you are at =
least keeping us amused :-)<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; ">BTW the =
BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the "O" ring seal so I think in their =
cases the gasket was the seal..<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; ">Pooffff =
goes that theory..<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; ">Michael =
S<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-family:=
 'Comic Sans MS'; ">BN1 #174<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; =
"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin-top:=
 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at =
4:36 PM, Steve B. Gerow &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New =
Roman', serif; ">The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain =
logic to it - except the o-ring does the actual sealing, =
correct?<br><br>Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we =
compress the gasket from, say .014" to .010". At .010, the axle center =
makes contact with the spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There =
is then .010" between the carrier and axle flange. The gasket takes up =
the slack - is the compressed gasket strong enough to in effect be a =
shim between these two parts?<br><br>Michael - maybe when =
extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle flange is also bending =
slightly to take up this gap.<br><br>Betcha I'm over-thinking this! =
:-)<br><br><br><br>--<br>Steve Gerow<br><br><br><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
-------Original Message-------<br>&gt;&nbsp; From: Michael Salter &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; To: Steve B. Gerow =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; Cc:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;,<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>,<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<br>&gt;&nbsp; Sent: Jan =
26 '15 11:28<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; One other observation on this =
subject.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; This is, I believe, the only =
place on a Healey where 'conical" seat nuts<br>&gt;&nbsp; are =
used.<br>&gt;&nbsp; It has been my experience that conical seat nuts =
always require re-torquing<br>&gt;&nbsp; after a little&nbsp; use. Just =
like the lug nuts on your every day driver if<br>&gt;&nbsp; you torque =
them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find that =
the<br>&gt;&nbsp; nuts will take up to half a turn just to restore them =
to the original<br>&gt;&nbsp; torque.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; That =
said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding aggressive =
use.<br>&gt;&nbsp; On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those =
nuts after every day of<br>&gt;&nbsp; competition and they would always =
go on an additional flat or so.. I always<br>&gt;&nbsp; wondered where =
that extra tightening room came from because after a week =
of<br>&gt;&nbsp; Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at =
least one full turn<br>&gt;&nbsp; ... that's =
0.055".<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; I "forgot" to mention to co-driver =
Michael O that a likely cause was<br>&gt;&nbsp; stretching of the =
studs..:-).<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; Michael S<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
[LINK:<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a><br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;=
&nbsp; On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steve B. Gerow =
&lt;[LINK:<br>&gt;&nbsp; mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br>&gt;&nbsp; Some observations:<br>&gt;&nbsp; New Moss gasket - =
.014"<br>&gt;&nbsp; Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar, as =
removed from axle - .010"<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; .004" =3D copier =
paper<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and =
the rear rotor/caliper back<br>&gt;&nbsp; in place or I'd try to do a =
science project here.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; For a gasket thickness, =
perhaps if one were to bolt the assembly together<br>&gt;&nbsp; without =
gasket and measure the gap with shims, then add .003" to =
that.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; The new bearing, assembled with heat and =
cold per Tom Monaco's<br>&gt;&nbsp; instructions, is a tight fit in the =
carrier and axle - IIRC the bearing<br>&gt;&nbsp; depends on this more =
than the compression of the spacer, gasket, =
etc.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; --<br>&gt;&nbsp; Steve =
Gerow<br>&gt;&nbsp; Altadena, CA<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
BN6<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; -------Original =
Message-------<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; From: [LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;&nbsp; To: [LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>, [LINK: =
mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>, [LINK: =
mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;&nbsp; Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket =
question<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Sent: Jan 26 '15 08:41<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; I have not tried it but I doubt it. On the =
three axles I have actual<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; experience with the =
gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick so that<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
the<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; spacer met the specified tolerances in the =
workshop manual. The<br>&gt;&nbsp; gaskets I<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; =
purchased were all approx. 0.010" thick. That would be a lot =
of<br>&gt;&nbsp; squish. You<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; would have to =
squish it without the bearing spacer in place. Then<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
remove<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; the axle &amp; measure how much the =
spacer stood proud of the gasket. Then<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; =
reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to just make =
a<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; gasket of the proper thickness.<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Gary Hodson<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; From: Simon Lachlan =
&lt;[LINK: mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Subject: =
RE: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, =
WD40, wouldn=92t they<br>&gt;&nbsp; compress<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; =
down to a proper size as you tightened up?<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Just a thought..............<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Simon<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
_______________________________________________<br>&gt;&nbsp; =
Support<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://Team.Net" style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: =
underline; ">Team.Net</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>[LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color:=
 blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color:=
 blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; Suggested annual =
donation&nbsp; $12.75<br>&gt;&nbsp; Archive: [LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; Forums: [LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/forums</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; [LINK: mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br>&gt;&nbsp; =
[LINK:<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>]<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp;=
 Unsubscribe/Manage: [LINK:<br>&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.=
com" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a=
>]<o:p></o:p></div><div><div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.=
com" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a=
><br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; --<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp; If you =
can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical =
problem.<o:p></o:p></div></div></div></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><br><br =
clear=3D"all"><br>--<o:p></o:p></div><div><div><div><div><p =
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; =
margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 12pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: =
'Times New Roman', serif; "><i><span style=3D"color: black; ">If you =
can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical =
problem.</span></i><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div></div></div></div>____=
___________________________________________<br>Support<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a href=3D"http://Team.Net" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">Team.Net</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation =
&nbsp;$12.75<br>Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br><br><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Ma=
nage:<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br><=
br></div></span></blockquote></div><br></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-7--521527602--

--===============1884739528430777803==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1884739528430777803==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:32:24 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4421365979382804238==
 boundary="------------030008070600030500010302"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030008070600030500010302
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

..the plot thickens...

On 1/26/2015 4:26 PM, Wilko2 wrote:
> My BN6 has no O-ring, and the BMC workshop manual doesn't show one.
>
>
>
>> I am thinking that would BMC engineering in those days be so 
>> sophisticated that they would be worried about .004” to .010”. 
>> Judging from what I have seen over the years, I doubt it. IIRC, I 
>> used a grey silicone as a sealer- works ok for me.
>> John Rowe
>> Qld Australia
>> BN1 BT7
>> *From:*Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]]*On Behalf 
>> Of*Michael Salter
>> *Sent:*Tuesday, 27 January 2015 7:46 AM
>> *To:*Steve B. Gerow
>> *Subject:*Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question
>> BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the "O" ring seal so I think in 
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B. Gerow 
>> The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has a certain logic to it - 
>> Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we compress the 
>> gasket from, say .014" to .010". At .010, the axle center makes 
>> contact with the spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There is 
>> then .010" between the carrier and axle flange. The gasket takes up 
>> the slack - is the compressed gasket strong enough to in effect be a 
>> shim between these two parts?
>>
>> Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle 
>> flange is also bending slightly to take up this gap.
>>
>> >  From: Michael Salter <[email-masked] 
>> >  To: Steve B. Gerow <[email-masked] 
>> >  Cc:[email-masked] 
>> >  This is, I believe, the only place on a Healey where 'conical" 
>> seat nuts
>> >  are used.
>> >  after a little  use. Just like the lug nuts on your every day 
>> driver if
>> >  you torque them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find 
>> that the
>> >  That said however I do have to agree with Chris regarding 
>> aggressive use.
>> >  On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those nuts after every 
>> day of
>> >  competition and they would always go on an additional flat or so.. 
>> I always
>> >  wondered where that extra tightening room came from because after 
>> a week of
>> >  Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened the nuts at least one 
>> full turn
>> >  ... that's 0.055".
>> >
>> >
>> >  [LINK:http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html]
>> >  mailto:[email-masked] 
>> >  Some observations:
>> >  New Moss gasket - .014"
>> >  My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear 
>> rotor/caliper back
>> >  instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier and axle - IIRC the 
>> bearing
>> >  >  From: [LINK: mailto:[email-masked] 
>> >  >  To: [LINK: mailto:[email-masked] 
>> >  >  experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick so 
>> that
>> >  the
>> >  >  From: Simon Lachlan <[LINK: mailto:[email-masked] 
>> >  SupportTeam.Net 
>> <http://Team.Net>[LINK:http://www.team.net/donate.html]
>> >  Archive: [LINK:http://www.team.net/archive]http://www.team.net/archive
>> >  Forums: [LINK:http://www.team.net/forums]http://www.team.net/forums
>> >
>> >  [LINK: mailto:[email-masked] 
>> >  [LINK:http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys]
>> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./
>>
>> SupportTeam.Net <http://Team.Net>http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Archive:http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums:http://www.team.net/forums
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------030008070600030500010302
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    ..the plot thickens...<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/26/2015 4:26 PM, Wilko2 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite"><base href="x-msg://108/">
      <div>My BN6 has no O-ring, and the BMC workshop manual doesn't
        show one. </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div>
        <div>On Jan 26, 2015, at 3:19 PM, John Rowe wrote:</div>
        <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
        <blockquote type="cite"><span class="Apple-style-span"
            style="border-collapse: separate; font-family: Helvetica;
            font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight:
            normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal;
            orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
            word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;
            -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
            0px; font-size: medium; ">
            <div link="blue" vlink="purple" lang="EN-AU">
              <div class="WordSection1" style="page: WordSection1; ">
                <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span
                    style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I am thinking
                    that would BMC engineering in those days be so
                    sophisticated that they would be worried about .004”
                    to .010”. Judging from what I have seen over the
                    years, I doubt it. IIRC, I used a grey silicone as a
                    sealer- works ok for me.<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span
                    style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">John Rowe<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span
                    style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Qld Australia<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span
                    style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">BN1 BT7<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style="border-right-style: none;
                  border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none;
                  border-width: initial; border-color: initial;
                  border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(181,
                  196, 223); border-top-width: 1pt; padding-top: 3pt;
                  padding-right: 0cm; padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left:
                  0cm; ">
                  <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                    margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                    font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                    serif; "><b><span style="font-size: 10pt;
                        font-family: Tahoma, sans-serif; " lang="EN-US">From:</span></b><span
                      style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma,
                      sans-serif; " lang="EN-US"><span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Healeys
                      [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>]<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><b>On
                        Behalf Of<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></b>Michael
                      Salter<br>
                      <b>Sent:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Tuesday,
                      27 January 2015 7:46 AM<br>
                      <b>To:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Steve
                      B. Gerow<br>
                      <b>Cc:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      <b>Subject:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Re:
                      [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                </div>
                <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><o:p> </o:p></div>
                <div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">Well you may be over thinking it but you
                        are at least keeping us amused :-)<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the
                        "O" ring seal so I think in their cases the
                        gasket was the seal..<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">Pooffff goes that theory..<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">Michael S<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">BN1 #174<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; "><o:p> </o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                </div>
                <div>
                  <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                    margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                    font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                    serif; "><o:p> </o:p></div>
                  <div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; ">On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B.
                      Gerow &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<o:p></o:p></div>
                    <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; ">The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has
                      a certain logic to it - except the o-ring does the
                      actual sealing, correct?<br>
                      <br>
                      Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we
                      compress the gasket from, say .014" to .010". At
                      .010, the axle center makes contact with the
                      spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There
                      is then .010" between the carrier and axle flange.
                      The gasket takes up the slack - is the compressed
                      gasket strong enough to in effect be a shim
                      between these two parts?<br>
                      <br>
                      Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug
                      nuts, the axle flange is also bending slightly to
                      take up this gap.<br>
                      <br>
                      Betcha I'm over-thinking this! :-)<br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      --<br>
                      Steve Gerow<br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      &gt;  -------Original Message-------<br>
                      &gt;  From: Michael Salter &lt;<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                      &gt;  To: Steve B. Gerow &lt;<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                      &gt;  Cc:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]" style="color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>&lt;<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]" style="color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;,<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>,<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;  Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket
                      question<br>
                      &gt;  Sent: Jan 26 '15 11:28<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  One other observation on this subject.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  This is, I believe, the only place on a
                      Healey where 'conical" seat nuts<br>
                      &gt;  are used.<br>
                      &gt;  It has been my experience that conical seat
                      nuts always require re-torquing<br>
                      &gt;  after a little  use. Just like the lug nuts
                      on your every day driver if<br>
                      &gt;  you torque them up, then drive the car for a
                      bit you will find that the<br>
                      &gt;  nuts will take up to half a turn just to
                      restore them to the original<br>
                      &gt;  torque.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  That said however I do have to agree with
                      Chris regarding aggressive use.<br>
                      &gt;  On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque
                      those nuts after every day of<br>
                      &gt;  competition and they would always go on an
                      additional flat or so.. I always<br>
                      &gt;  wondered where that extra tightening room
                      came from because after a week of<br>
                      &gt;  Targa Newfoundland we would have tightened
                      the nuts at least one full turn<br>
                      &gt;  ... that's 0.055".<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  I "forgot" to mention to co-driver Michael O
                      that a likely cause was<br>
                      &gt;  stretching of the studs..:-).<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  Michael S<br>
                      &gt;  [LINK:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a><br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steve B.
                      Gerow &lt;[LINK:<br>
                      &gt;  mailto:<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
                      &gt;  Some observations:<br>
                      &gt;  New Moss gasket - .014"<br>
                      &gt;  Old gasket originally coated with Hylomar,
                      as removed from axle - .010"<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  .004" = copier paper<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and
                      the rear rotor/caliper back<br>
                      &gt;  in place or I'd try to do a science project
                      here.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one were
                      to bolt the assembly together<br>
                      &gt;  without gasket and measure the gap with
                      shims, then add .003" to that.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  The new bearing, assembled with heat and
                      cold per Tom Monaco's<br>
                      &gt;  instructions, is a tight fit in the carrier
                      and axle - IIRC the bearing<br>
                      &gt;  depends on this more than the compression of
                      the spacer, gasket, etc.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  --<br>
                      &gt;  Steve Gerow<br>
                      &gt;  Altadena, CA<br>
                      &gt;  BN6<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  -------Original Message-------<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  From: [LINK: mailto:<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]" style="color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a>]<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]" style="color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  To: [LINK: mailto:<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>, [LINK:
                      mailto:<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>, [LINK: mailto:<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle
                      gasket question<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  Sent: Jan 26 '15 08:41<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  I have not tried it but I doubt it. On
                      the three axles I have actual<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  experience with the gasket needed to
                      be Approx. 0.004" thick so that<br>
                      &gt;  the<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  spacer met the specified tolerances in
                      the workshop manual. The<br>
                      &gt;  gaskets I<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  purchased were all approx. 0.010"
                      thick. That would be a lot of<br>
                      &gt;  squish. You<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  would have to squish it without the
                      bearing spacer in place. Then<br>
                      &gt;  remove<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  the axle &amp; measure how much the
                      spacer stood proud of the gasket. Then<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  reassemble everything, if it met spec.
                      It seemed easier to just make a<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  gasket of the proper thickness.<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  Gary Hodson<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  From: Simon Lachlan &lt;[LINK: mailto:<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  Subject: RE: [Healeys] Rear axle
                      gasket question<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  If you soaked the too big gaskets in,
                      say, WD40, wouldn’t they<br>
                      &gt;  compress<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  down to a proper size as you tightened
                      up?<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  Just a thought..............<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  &gt;  Simon<br>
                      &gt; 
                      _______________________________________________<br>
                      &gt;  Support<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://Team.Net"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">Team.Net</a><span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>[LINK:<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                      &gt;  Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                      &gt;  Archive: [LINK:<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/archive</a>]<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                      &gt;  Forums: [LINK:<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/forums"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/forums</a>]<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/forums"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  [LINK: mailto:<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<span
                        class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;  [LINK:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>]<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;  Unsubscribe/Manage: [LINK:<br>
                      &gt; <span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
                        target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; ">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a>]<o:p></o:p></div>
                    <div>
                      <div>
                        <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                          margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                          font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New
                          Roman', serif; ">&gt; <span
                            class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
                            target="_blank" style="color: blue;
                            text-decoration: underline; ">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;  --<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;  If you can't fix it with a hammer,
                          you've got an electrical problem.<o:p></o:p></div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                  <div style="margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                    margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                    font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                    serif; "><br>
                    <br clear="all">
                    <br>
                    --<o:p></o:p></div>
                  <div>
                    <div>
                      <div>
                        <div>
                          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-top: 0cm;
                            margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm;
                            margin-bottom: 12pt; font-size: 12pt;
                            font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><i><span
                                style="color: black; ">If you can't fix
                                it with a hammer, you've got an
                                electrical problem.</span></i><o:p></o:p></p>
                        </div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>
              _______________________________________________<br>
              Support<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://Team.Net"
                style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">Team.Net</a><span
                class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" style="color:
                blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
              Archive:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/archive" style="color: blue;
                text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
              Forums:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/forums"
                style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
              <br>
              <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:[email-masked]" style="color: blue;
                text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><br>
              <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
                style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
              <br>
              Unsubscribe/Manage:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
                style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
              <br>
            </div>
          </span></blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------030008070600030500010302--

--===============4421365979382804238==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4421365979382804238==--

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:13:23 -0800

--===============5884683917883956840==

--Apple-Mail-8--518710978
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

A little clarification...

What some are calling an "O-Ring" is not an O-ring at all (even though =
Moss calls it one) It's a squarish profiled seal between the bearing and =
the axle area toward the Diff. The paper gasket keeps the bearing grease =
from oozing out into the brake area. Don't ask me why I know this is =
important.

The so-called o-ring seals the inboard side, the paper gasket seals the =
outboard side.

Wilko.

On Jan 26, 2015, at 3:32 PM, David Porter wrote:

>> My BN6 has no O-ring, and the BMC workshop manual doesn't show one.=20=

Michael Salter
amused :-)
>>> BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the "O" ring seal so I think =
in their cases the gasket was the seal..
>>>=20
>>> Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we compress the =
gasket from, say .014" to .010". At .010, the axle center makes contact =
with the spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There is then .010" =
between the carrier and axle flange. The gasket takes up the slack - is =
the compressed gasket strong enough to in effect be a shim between these =
two parts?
>>>=20
>>> Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug nuts, the axle =
>>> >  This is, I believe, the only place on a Healey where 'conical" =
seat nuts
re-torquing
driver if
>>> >  you torque them up, then drive the car for a bit you will find =
that the
original
aggressive use.
>>> >  On AHX12 we found it necessary to re-torque those nuts after =
every day of
>>> >  competition and they would always go on an additional flat or =
so.. I always
>>> >  wondered where that extra tightening room came from because after =
a week of
full turn
was
.010"
>>> >
>>> >  .004" =3D copier paper
>>> >
>>> >  My axle is buttoned up with a new gasket and the rear =
rotor/caliper back
together
that.
bearing
etc.
>>> >  [email-masked], [LINK: =
mailto:[email-masked]]
actual
>>> >  >  experience with the gasket needed to be Approx. 0.004" thick =
so that
>>> >  the
>>> >  >  spacer met the specified tolerances in the workshop manual. =
The
>>> >  gaskets I
of
>>> >  squish. You
Then
gasket. Then
>>> >  >  reassemble everything, if it met spec. It seemed easier to =
just make a
>>> >  >  From: Simon Lachlan <[LINK: =
mailto:[email-masked]]
>>> >  >  If you soaked the too big gaskets in, say, WD40, wouldn=92t =
they
problem.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM =

--Apple-Mail-8--518710978
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
"><div>A little clarification...</div><div><br></div><div>What some are =
calling an "O-Ring" is not an O-ring at all (even though Moss calls it =
one) It's a squarish profiled seal between the bearing and the axle area =
toward the Diff. The paper gasket keeps the bearing grease from oozing =
out into the brake area. Don't ask me why I know this is =
important.</div><div><br></div><div>The so-called o-ring seals the =
inboard side, the paper gasket seals the outboard =
side.</div><div><br></div><div>Wilko.</div><br><div><div>On Jan 26, =
2015, at 3:32 PM, David Porter wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">
 =20
    <meta content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type">
 =20
  <div bgcolor=3D"#FFFFFF" text=3D"#000000">
    ..the plot thickens...<br>
    <br>
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 1/26/2015 4:26 PM, Wilko2 =
wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite=3D"mid:[email-masked]" =
type=3D"cite"><base href=3D"x-msg://108/">
      <div>My BN6 has no O-ring, and the BMC workshop manual doesn't
        show one.&nbsp;</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div>
        <div>On Jan 26, 2015, at 3:19 PM, John Rowe wrote:</div>
        <br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
        <blockquote type=3D"cite"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; font-family: Helvetica;
            font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight:
            normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal;
            orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
            word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;
            -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
            0px; font-size: medium; ">
            <div link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple" lang=3D"EN-AU">
              <div class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; =
">
                <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I am thinking
                    that would BMC engineering in those days be so
                    sophisticated that they would be worried about .004=94=

                    to .010=94. Judging from what I have seen over the
                    years, I doubt it. IIRC, I used a grey silicone as a
                    sealer- works ok for me.<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">John =
Rowe<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Qld =
Australia<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; "><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri,
                    sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">BN1 =
BT7<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                <div style=3D"border-right-style: none;
                  border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none;
                  border-width: initial; border-color: initial;
                  border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(181,
                  196, 223); border-top-width: 1pt; padding-top: 3pt;
                  padding-right: 0cm; padding-bottom: 0cm; padding-left:
                  0cm; ">
                  <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                    margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                    font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                    serif; "><b><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt;
                        font-family: Tahoma, sans-serif; " =
lang=3D"EN-US">From:</span></b><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Tahoma,
                      sans-serif; " lang=3D"EN-US"><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Healeys
                      [<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:healeys-bounces@auto=
x.team.net</a>]<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><b>On
                        Behalf Of<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></b>Michael
                      Salter<br>
                      <b>Sent:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Tuesday,
                      27 January 2015 7:46 AM<br>
                      <b>To:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Steve
                      B. Gerow<br>
                      <b>Cc:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      <b>Subject:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Re:
                      [Healeys] Rear axle gasket =
question<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                </div>
                <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                  margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size:
                  12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div>
                <div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">Well you may be over thinking it but you
                        are at least keeping us amused =
:-)<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">BTW the BN1, BN2 and 100S didn't have the
                        "O" ring seal so I think in their cases the
                        gasket was the seal..<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">Pooffff goes that =
theory..<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">Michael S<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; ">BN1 #174<o:p></o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; "><span style=3D"font-family: 'Comic Sans
                        MS'; "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div>
                  </div>
                </div>
                <div>
                  <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                    margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                    font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                    serif; "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div>
                  <div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; ">On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Steve B.
                      Gerow &lt;<a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<o:p></o:p></div>
                    <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                      margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                      font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                      serif; ">The whole idea of the gasket-as-shim has
                      a certain logic to it - except the o-ring does the
                      actual sealing, correct?<br>
                      <br>
                      Is this the idea: when we tighten the lug nuts, we
                      compress the gasket from, say .014" to .010". At
                      .010, the axle center makes contact with the
                      spacer ring and bearing, coming to a stop. There
                      is then .010" between the carrier and axle flange.
                      The gasket takes up the slack - is the compressed
                      gasket strong enough to in effect be a shim
                      between these two parts?<br>
                      <br>
                      Michael - maybe when extra-tightening of the lug
                      nuts, the axle flange is also bending slightly to
                      take up this gap.<br>
                      <br>
                      Betcha I'm over-thinking this! :-)<br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      --<br>
                      Steve Gerow<br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      <br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; -------Original Message-------<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; From: Michael Salter &lt;<a =
moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; To: Steve B. Gerow &lt;<a =
moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Cc:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>&lt;<a =
moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>&gt;,<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>,<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket
                      question<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Sent: Jan 26 '15 11:28<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; One other observation on this =
subject.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; This is, I believe, the only place on a
                      Healey where 'conical" seat nuts<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; are used.<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; It has been my experience that conical =
seat
                      nuts always require re-torquing<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; after a little&nbsp; use. Just like the =
lug nuts
                      on your every day driver if<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; you torque them up, then drive the car =
for a
                      bit you will find that the<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; nuts will take up to half a turn just =
to
                      restore them to the original<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; torque.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; That said however I do have to agree =
with
                      Chris regarding aggressive use.<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; On AHX12 we found it necessary to =
re-torque
                      those nuts after every day of<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; competition and they would always go on =
an
                      additional flat or so.. I always<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; wondered where that extra tightening =
room
                      came from because after a week of<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Targa Newfoundland we would have =
tightened
                      the nuts at least one full turn<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; ... that's 0.055".<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; I "forgot" to mention to co-driver =
Michael O
                      that a likely cause was<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; stretching of the studs..:-).<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Michael S<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; [LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html</a><br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steve =
B.
                      Gerow &lt;[LINK:<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; mailto:<a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Some observations:<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; New Moss gasket - .014"<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Old gasket originally coated with =
Hylomar,
                      as removed from axle - .010"<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; .004" =3D copier paper<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; My axle is buttoned up with a new =
gasket and
                      the rear rotor/caliper back<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; in place or I'd try to do a science =
project
                      here.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; For a gasket thickness, perhaps if one =
were
                      to bolt the assembly together<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; without gasket and measure the gap with
                      shims, then add .003" to that.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; The new bearing, assembled with heat =
and
                      cold per Tom Monaco's<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; instructions, is a tight fit in the =
carrier
                      and axle - IIRC the bearing<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; depends on this more than the =
compression of
                      the spacer, gasket, etc.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; --<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Steve Gerow<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Altadena, CA<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; BN6<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; -------Original =
Message-------<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; From: [LINK: mailto:<a =
moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color:
                        blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; To: [LINK: mailto:<a =
moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>, [LINK:
                      mailto:<a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>, [LINK: mailto:<a =
moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear =
axle
                      gasket question<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Sent: Jan 26 '15 08:41<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; I have not tried it but I =
doubt it. On
                      the three axles I have actual<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; experience with the gasket =
needed to
                      be Approx. 0.004" thick so that<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; the<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; spacer met the specified =
tolerances in
                      the workshop manual. The<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; gaskets I<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; purchased were all approx. =
0.010"
                      thick. That would be a lot of<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; squish. You<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; would have to squish it =
without the
                      bearing spacer in place. Then<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; remove<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; the axle &amp; measure how =
much the
                      spacer stood proud of the gasket. Then<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; reassemble everything, if it =
met spec.
                      It seemed easier to just make a<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; gasket of the proper =
thickness.<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Gary Hodson<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; From: Simon Lachlan =
&lt;[LINK: mailto:<a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Subject: RE: [Healeys] Rear =
axle
                      gasket question<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; If you soaked the too big =
gaskets in,
                      say, WD40, wouldn=92t they<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; compress<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; down to a proper size as you =
tightened
                      up?<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Just a =
thought..............<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp; Simon<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;
                      =
_______________________________________________<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Support<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://Team.Net/" style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: =
underline;
                        ">Team.Net</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>[LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color:=
 blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color:=
 blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Suggested annual donation&nbsp; =
$12.75<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Archive: [LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Forums: [LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/forums</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: =
blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; [LINK: mailto:<a moz-do-not-send=3D"true"=
 href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;
                        ">[email-masked]</a><br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; [LINK:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>]<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank" =
style=3D"color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp; Unsubscribe/Manage: [LINK:<br>
                      &gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.=
com" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: blue;
                        text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a=
>]<o:p></o:p></div>
                    <div>
                      <div>
                        <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: =
0cm;
                          margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                          font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New
                          Roman', serif; ">&gt;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.=
com" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: blue;
                            text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a=
><br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;&nbsp; --<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt;&nbsp; If you can't fix it with a hammer,
                          you've got an electrical =
problem.<o:p></o:p></div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                  <div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;
                    margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
                    font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman',
                    serif; "><br>
                    <br clear=3D"all">
                    <br>
                    --<o:p></o:p></div>
                  <div>
                    <div>
                      <div>
                        <div><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm;
                            margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm;
                            margin-bottom: 12pt; font-size: 12pt;
                            font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
"><i><span style=3D"color: black; ">If you can't fix
                                it with a hammer, you've got an
                                electrical =
problem.</span></i><o:p></o:p></p>
                        </div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>
              _______________________________________________<br>
              Support<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a=
 moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"http://Team.Net/" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">Team.Net</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color:
                blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>
              Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: blue;
                text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
              Forums:<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a=
 moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
              <br>
              <a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue;
                text-decoration: underline; =
">[email-masked]</a><br>
              <a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
              <br>
              Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
              <br>
            </div>
          </span></blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap=3D"">_______________________________________________
Support <a href=3D"http://Team.Net">Team.Net</a> <a =
class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a>
Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/frogeye@porterscusto=
m.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/frogeye@porterscustom=
.com</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class=3D"moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" =
href=3D"http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </div>

</blockquote></div><br></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-8--518710978--

--===============5884683917883956840==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5884683917883956840==--

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:35:37 +0800

--===============2614256775523698540==

--047d7b2e06ed9f7a07050d984598

> The reason why this gasket is supposed to be so thin is that the mating
> surfaces are small and machined with good flat surfaces from good quality
> iron / steel.  Because the hub is subject to extremely high lateral
> loading, you don't want a thick gasket because gasket compression =
> cyclical loading on the nuts = loosening of the nuts = oil leaks = damaged
> hub bolts and worn spline hubs = wheels coming off eventually.
>
> Also I f you notice, usually gaskets used on aluminum mating surfaces are
> thicker than those used on surfaces made of steel or cast iron.
>
> Rather than using the moss gasket, you're better off cutting your own from
> some acid free paper.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
>
>>

--047d7b2e06ed9f7a07050d984598
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-lef=
t:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The reason why this gasket is supposed t=
o be so thin is that the mating surfaces are small and machined with good f=
lat surfaces=C2=A0from good quality iron / steel.=C2=A0 Because the hub is =
subject to extremely high lateral loading, you don&#39;t want a thick gaske=
t because gasket compression =3D cyclical loading on the nuts =3D loosening=
 of the nuts =3D oil leaks =3D damaged hub bolts and worn spline hubs =3D w=
heels coming off eventually.<div><br></div><div>Also I=C2=A0f you notice, u=
sually gaskets used on aluminum mating surfaces are thicker than those used=
 on surfaces made of steel or cast iron.</div><div><br></div><div>Rather th=
an using the moss gasket, you&#39;re better off cutting your own from some =
acid free paper.</div><div><br></div><div>Cheers,</div><div><br></div><div>=
Alan<span></span></div><div><br></div><div><div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex"><br>
</blockquote></div></div>
</blockquote>

--047d7b2e06ed9f7a07050d984598--

--===============2614256775523698540==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2614256775523698540==--

---

From: "Steve B. Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:39:08 -0800

I've made up my mind to remove the caliper and rotor and measure the protrusion of the bearing spacer. Then I'll make a gasket such that I get the .003-.004" protrusion of the bearing spacer.

Will report back afterwards.

-- 
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA
BN6

>  From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>

[email-masked]