Subject: [Healeys] Drums vs discs - weight

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:22:09 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8839437730878728928==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00A0_01D03AE4.46D7B2C0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01D03AE4.46D7B2C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Bob Spidell wrote:

Read recently in a reputable source that drum brakes are usually lighter
than disks (one of the reasons drums are still 
used on big trucks).  Seems counter-intuitive to me; can anyone verify or
refute?

<<< 

I still have my BN6 drum brakes complete. A Front brake assembly (backing
plate with shoes and drum) weighs 25 lbs.

My 12mm-thick rear disc with Jag caliper including parking brake mechanism
weighs 24 lbs. 

Looks like a wash.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

Check out my galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/

------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01D03AE4.46D7B2C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bob =
Spidell wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&gt;&gt;&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Read recently in a reputable source that drum brakes =
are usually lighter than disks (one of the reasons drums are still =
<br>used on big trucks).&nbsp;&nbsp;Seems counter-intuitive to me; can =
anyone verify or refute?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&lt;&lt;&lt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I still have =
my BN6 drum brakes complete. A Front brake assembly (backing plate with =
shoes and drum) weighs 25 lbs.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>My =
12mm-thick rear disc with Jag caliper including parking brake mechanism =
weighs 24 lbs. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Looks like a =
wash.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01D03AE4.46D7B2C0--

--===============8839437730878728928==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8839437730878728928==--

---

From: "Tadeusz Malkiewicz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:07:54 +0100

I have done a complete front and rear conversion on my BN2 and was surprised
to find out that the weight difference is negligible.

I actually measured all the weights, but cannot find the info now.

This is based on Dunlop disc brake system, as on Jaguar e-type S1, 100-6
originally offered upgrade or very similar to 100S.

Tadek

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com

[email-masked]