Subject: Re: [Healeys] torque wrench

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 06:10:09 -0500

Roger Menadue received a torque wrench as an award at Le Mans -

http://www.team.net/html/team-thicko/2003-03/msg00024.html

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 01/15/2015 01:14 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> Roger Menadue, the chief mechanic at Warwick, never used a torque wrench, as he once told me when I met him. You should feel it in your hands he said, otherwise you are not a good mechanic.
>   When fixing a drive shaft nut on a Mini its best you knock it on as long till your socket breaks, was another of his advices. These times are gone and I am lucky to find reasonably priced Hazet, Belzer or Gedore torque wreches here in Germany which do the job longer than I live.
>
> Josef Eckert
> Konigswinter/Germany
>
> -----Original-Nachricht-----
> Betreff: [Healeys] torque wrench
> Datum: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 06:48:23 +0100
> Von: "healeymanjim" <[email-masked]>
> An: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
>
> I wonder how many healeys out there have not had a torque wrench close to them in many years. lot of shade tree mechanics back then that had minimum tools working on these cars.
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:05:37 -0800

Brings to mind two experiences.  When I worked in aircraft, fasteners 
were as small as possible, as weight was a primary concern.  When I 
worked for a heavy machinery manufacturer, we learned the hard way that 
some mechanics used the "as tight as I can" method.  As a result, we 
never used less than 3/8 inch bolts, even if less would do.  They would 
torque the heads right off of anything less.  Also, since the equipment 
was used in 24/7 continuous process systems, one component out of 
commission could shut down the entire line.  Accountants don't like that.

Mike
Seattle

[email-masked]