Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 Gearbox Hubs

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:37:31 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5216024629684662854==
 boundary="------------090805080304070907080705"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------090805080304070907080705
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Longitudinal loading for the dog clutches?
On 1/20/2015 10:17 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> This is one for those with some gearbox rebuilding experience.
> In this question I will refer to the gear numbers "in the box" i.e. as 
> if we are talking about a regular 4 speed gearbox.
> I have built a few BN1 gearboxes and have always wondered about the 
> disposition of the balls and springs in the 3/4th hub.
> The 1/2 hub uses 6 balls and springs but the 3/4 hub uses only 3 sets. 
> What is odd is that the ball and spring sets are all on one side of 
> the hub not evenly dispersed around the hub as they are on every other 
> gearbox I have worked on.
> They can be seen in this picture.
> Inline image 1
> Why?
>
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>
> -- 
> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------090805080304070907080705
 boundary="------------080202080505040204070401"

--------------080202080505040204070401
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Longitudinal loading for the dog clutches?<br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/20/2015 10:17 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:CAB3i7LLtbRJy9udC_G=[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">This is one for those with some
          gearbox rebuilding experience.<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">In this question I will refer
          to the gear numbers "in the box" i.e. as if we are talking
          about a regular 4 speed gearbox.<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have built a few BN1
          gearboxes and have always wondered about the disposition of
          the balls and springs in the 3/4th hub. <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The 1/2 hub uses 6 balls and
          springs but the 3/4 hub uses only 3 sets. What is odd is that
          the ball and spring sets are all on one side of the hub not
          evenly dispersed around the hub as they are on every other
          gearbox I have worked on.<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">They can be seen in this
          picture.<br>
           <img alt="Inline image 1"
            src="cid:[email-masked]"
            height="424" width="441"><br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Why?<br>
          <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174<br>
        </div>
        <br>
        -- <br>
        <div class="gmail_signature">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div>
              <div dir="ltr"><i><font><span style="color:black">If you
                      can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an
                      electrical problem.</span></font></i><br>
                <br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------080202080505040204070401
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

--------------080202080505040204070401--

--------------090805080304070907080705--

--===============5216024629684662854==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5216024629684662854==--

---

From: "Larry Varley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 08:02:59 +1100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7173633414213453075==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03550.AC7551D0"
Content-Language: en-au

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03550.AC7551D0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Mike, hope your keeping well. I=E2=80=99m almost certain that this =
was the method used to help lock the inner hub to the spline during the =
engagement process, so as the outer driving ring engages into detent it =
prevented the inner hub jumping back in the opposite direction thereby =
also attempting to disengage the outer ring. I have often thought that =
sandblasting used parts on both that area of the main shaft and hub =
spline may improve the situation. The second gear hub is locked in =
position on the shaft. The later BJ8 steel syncro boxes used a positive =
locating pin to lock the inner hub to the main shaft. As a matter of =
interest some years ago I modified BT7 gearbox parts to include the BJ8 =
system, which also ensures that the hub can=E2=80=99t move back and rub =
on the opposing gears syncro cone when engaged.

Cheers

Larry Varley

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03550.AC7551D0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Hi Mike, hope your keeping well. I=E2=80=99m almost certain that this =
was the method used to help lock the inner hub to the spline during the =
engagement process, so as the outer driving ring engages into detent it =
prevented the inner hub jumping back in the opposite direction thereby =
also attempting to disengage the outer ring. I have often thought that =
sandblasting used parts on both that area of the main shaft and hub =
spline may improve the situation. The second gear hub is locked in =
position on the shaft. The later BJ8 steel syncro boxes used a positive =
locating pin to lock the inner hub to the main shaft. As a matter of =
interest some years ago I modified BT7 gearbox parts to include the BJ8 =
system, which also ensures that the hub can=E2=80=99t move back and rub =
on the opposing gears syncro cone when engaged.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Cheers<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Larry Varley<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D03550.AC7551D0--

--===============7173633414213453075==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7173633414213453075==--