Subject: [Healeys] Spun bearing and gasket issue - summary

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:41:00 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4045405372423544374==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00D1_01D03C79.40739390"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00D1_01D03C79.40739390
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

[Xposted on the Forum]

If you've had a spun rear wheel bearing and/or leaking seal, this may be of
interest.

Recently one of my rear wheel bearing seals started to leak. Ordering a new
seal from Tom's Import Toys, Tom Monaco mentioned the leakage was caused by
heat from the bearing spinning in the housing, and that he'd replaced about
a hundred rear wheel bearings to fix this problem. The cure was to install a
new bearing using a combination of heat and cold to shrink-fit the bearing
into the hub and onto the axle. I'm guessing the hub housing has some wear
if the bearing's been spinning.

According to the Manual, Section J, the bearing spacer must protrude .001" -
.004" beyond the paper gasket. This allows the lug nuts to tightly
metal-to-metal grip the outer ring of the bearing in the hub. The inner ring
is tightly gripped by the center octagon nut. (Thanks to Gary Hodson for
pointing this passage out.)

In my opinion, the spun bearing problem is caused by excess thickness of the
replacement gaskets, which prevents positive gripping of the bearing outer
ring, as called for by the manual.

I measured my non-gasket clearance at .004". This can vary as the thickness
of the bearings can vary by a few thousandths (.900" and .905" on two old
bearings I have).

The Moss replacement gasket is .015" thick and compresses down to
approximately .011" - therefore the bearing outer ring is not gripped at all
and the hub depends on the shrink fit of the bearing only.

In my opinion, the solution is to make your own gasket from paper such that
the thickness is .001" less than the protrusion as measured above. Legal pad
paper is .003"; copier paper is .004";  9x12 envelope paper is .005".

If your car doesn't have the o-ring, or you don't have a micrometer, you
could leave the gasket off and use a thin bead of gasket goop, such as Right
Stuff or Form-a-Gasket to effect the oil seal.

Axle flange note: The outer edge of the axle flange is not distorted by
being unsupported by the gasket. Because of the thickness of the brake drum
and splined hub flange, in combination with the strength of the hub itself,
the flange will not distort by tightening the lug nuts.

Would be curious to measure an original gasket from back in the day.

Documentation: 

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_rear_bearing

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

Check out my galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/

------=_NextPart_000_00D1_01D03C79.40739390
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>[Xposted on the =
Forum]<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>If you&#8217;ve had a =
spun rear wheel bearing and/or leaking seal, this may be of =
interest.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Recently one of my rear =
wheel bearing seals started to leak. Ordering a new seal from =
Tom&#8217;s Import Toys, Tom Monaco mentioned the leakage was caused by =
heat from the bearing spinning in the housing, and that he&#8217;d =
replaced about a hundred rear wheel bearings to fix this problem. The =
cure was to install a new bearing using a combination of heat and cold =
to shrink-fit the bearing into the hub and onto the axle. I&#8217;m =
guessing the hub housing has some wear if the bearing&#8217;s been =
spinning.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>According to the Manual, =
Section J, the bearing spacer must protrude .001&#8221; - .004&#8221; =
beyond the paper gasket. This allows the lug nuts to tightly =
metal-to-metal grip the outer ring of the bearing in the hub. The inner =
ring is tightly gripped by the center octagon nut. (Thanks to Gary =
Hodson for pointing this passage out.)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>In my opinion, the spun =
bearing problem is caused by excess thickness of the replacement =
gaskets, which prevents positive gripping of the bearing outer ring, as =
called for by the manual.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'>I measured my non-gasket clearance at .004&#8221;. This =
can vary as the thickness of the bearings can vary by a few thousandths =
(.900&#8221; and .905&#8221; on two old bearings I =
have).<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>The Moss replacement =
gasket is .015&#8221; thick and compresses down to approximately =
.011&#8221; &#8211; therefore the bearing outer ring is not gripped at =
all and the hub depends on the shrink fit of the bearing =
only.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>In my opinion, the =
solution is to make your own gasket from paper such that the thickness =
is .001&#8221; less than the protrusion as measured above. Legal pad =
paper is .003&#8221;; copier paper is .004&#8221;;&nbsp; 9x12 envelope =
paper is .005&#8221;.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>If your car =
doesn&#8217;t have the o-ring, or you don&#8217;t have a micrometer, you =
could leave the gasket off and use a thin bead of gasket goop, such as =
Right Stuff or Form-a-Gasket to effect the oil =
seal.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Axle flange note: The =
outer edge of the axle flange is not distorted by being unsupported by =
the gasket. Because of the thickness of the brake drum and splined hub =
flange, in combination with the strength of the hub itself, the flange =
will not distort by tightening the lug nuts.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Would be curious to =
measure an original gasket from back in the day.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Documentation: =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'><a =
href=3D"http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_rear_bearing">http://www.p=
base.com/stevegerow/healey_rear_bearing</a><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00D1_01D03C79.40739390--

--===============4045405372423544374==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4045405372423544374==--