Subject: [Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over them?

From: Andy Thorp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 02:18:02 -0800

--1425490816-1938307521-1422699482=:9088
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Guys,

Well I'm getting close to the final painting of 40559 and have decided I do=
n't like the modern basecoat/clearcoat look and now want to refinish it in =
lacquer for a more original non-sparkly appearance.

Does anyone know if the original Healey Blue cars were top-coated in clear =
lacquer over the "iridescent"? What about on the frame and inner panels?=20

Is there a recommended source for original formula paints in these modern t=
wo pack times?

Andy.
--1425490816-1938307521-1422699482=:9088
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="beach 2013.JPG"

--1425490816-1938307521-1422699482=:9088
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="bare metal 30.01.2015.JPG"

--1425490816-1938307521-1422699482=:9088
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--1425490816-1938307521-1422699482=:9088--

---

From: carroll phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:04:21 -0500 (EST)

50s,60s Austin Healeys were painted in the enamel chemistry of the day ( 
synthetic enamel), Jags too. Synthetic enamels were not clear coated and 
MG used it on their TD wings and lacquer on the bodies of certain 
colors, about the same time as the Healey 100 , I am referring to both 
metallics and solid colors

I would personally not use a lacquer base and urethane clear coat.  

 I have used the next finest metallic from the bottom of the chart , 
sprayed a little heavy , the metallic flakes will sink in  and not 
reflect light as much  appearing  as a fine metallic. You need a GOOD 
gun for this , I use an Iwata LPH400 for clear and the Super Nova for 
base 1.4 tip.

Best I can say is try it out on a test panel using different application 
technics till you are satisfied. You have no choice as modern paints 
simply do not look as the older ones did . EPA regulations took care of 
that a while ago and again, with waterborne materials coming up fast the 
restorer has to adapt.

Carroll Phillips
Top Down Restorations
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]