Subject: [Healeys] FW: Drum Brakes

From: J Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:04:22 +1100

>Ask me about ventilated drum brakes!
>Being a keen motor racing fan I new you drilled the drum face and backing
>plates to allow air flow through the enclosure of the drum. BUT this also
>lets water in. Two problems, it takes what seems a long time when you
>want 
>to stop in a hurry for the water to be wiped off the friction surface,
>second if one side wheel is wet and the other not so wet you get very
>different brake performance. One day when in city traffic the right hand
>side of the car and brakes was drenched by cars splashing water banked
>against the median strip. The left side relatively dry, less spray, heat
>in drums etc. A pedestrian rushed out at a crossing and I stomped on the
>pedal and immediately did a sharp left turn and stopped at right angle to
>the traffic flow and neatly sitting on the pedestrian crossing. It was
>very hard to look cool in my AH BN.4 while people walked around each side
>of me.
>
>Holes in backing plates and drums --- your choice!
>
>Joe
>
>
>
>On 27/01/15 3:23 PM, "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>Read recently in a reputable source that drum brakes are usually lighter
>>than disks (one of the reasons drums are still
>>used on big trucks).  Seems counter-intuitive to me; can anyone verify
>>or 
>>refute?
>>
>>In same article, read the venting drums increases overall effectiveness,
>>esp. WRT fade.  Anyone done this with Healey
>>brakes?
>>
>>Bob

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:14:01 +1100

Hi Bob hope your doing well, ok I can't help but buy into this, are you 
people insane? Drum brakes are good? who are we kidding. For a start 
modern trucks are moving to disc brakes however the technology is still 
developing and maintenance costs are high which is a big factor in the 
trucking industry. If you enjoy ending up sideways during emergency 
braking sure stick to drums, and if you enjoy the thrill of brake fade 
once again go for it. Disc brakes outperform drum in virtually every 
sense, which is why modern cars use them all round these days. Sure if 
your into originality stick with your drum brakes but lets not pretend 
they can compete with a modern disc brake system .
That is my 2 cents worth
Cheers
Larry Varley

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:00:08 +1000

I totally agree with all of Larry's remarks. Having driven large trucks with
both styles of brakes, I'll take discs any day
John Rowe
Qld Australia
BN1 (with BJ8 Discs)
BT7 (with 4spot/drilled/slotted discs
Both stop good all the time

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Larry
Varley
Sent: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes

Hi Bob hope your doing well, ok I can't help but buy into this, are you
people insane? Drum brakes are good? who are we kidding. For a start modern
trucks are moving to disc brakes however the technology is still developing
and maintenance costs are high which is a big factor in the trucking
industry. If you enjoy ending up sideways during emergency braking sure
stick to drums, and if you enjoy the thrill of brake fade once again go for
it. Disc brakes outperform drum in virtually every sense, which is why
modern cars use them all round these days. Sure if your into originality
stick with your drum brakes but lets not pretend they can compete with a
modern disc brake system .
That is my 2 cents worth
Cheers
Larry Varley

[email-masked]

---

From: J Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:19:34 +1100

[email-masked]