Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive slipping

From: BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:09:48 -0400

Hello, Healeyphiles -

I've begun feeling some slipping in the overdrive when I try to accelerate in third gear with overdrive engaged -- i.e., the engine RPMs increase but there is no acceleration.  I have also heard a "spinning" sound from somewhere during slipping. It doesn't happen with overdrive disengaged or if I accelerate gently.  I suspect the linings of the overdrive cone clutch are worn.  Naturally, the clutch and its linings are N/A in the Moss catalog.  

Anybody have any different theories about the slippage?  Anybody know a source for the clutch linings or rebuild of the cone clutch?  

Thanks,

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 03:20:45 +0000

Steve,

I think I would check the hydraulic pressure first. You might get lucky...

Bill Lawrence

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:09:48 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive slipping
>
> Hello, Healeyphiles -
>
> I've begun feeling some slipping in the overdrive when I try to accelerate
in third gear with overdrive engaged -- i.e., the engine RPMs increase but
there is no acceleration.  I have also heard a "spinning" sound from somewhere
during slipping. It doesn't happen with overdrive disengaged or if I
accelerate gently.  I suspect the linings of the overdrive cone clutch are
worn.  Naturally, the clutch and its linings are N/A in the Moss catalog.
>
> Anybody have any different theories about the slippage?  Anybody know a
source for the clutch linings or rebuild of the cone clutch?
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 8:54:29 -0400

Thanks, Bill -

I don't suspect low hydraulic pressure because the O/D engages immediately when I select it.  Other than the slipping under load, it is working fine.  But of course, a check of the pressure before tearing the O/D down would make sense.
I rebuilt the unit in 1993, with new accumulator, pistons, seals, bearings, etc. and I have religiously kept the oil changed at least once a year (and sometimes more, depending on the mileage).  I didn't do anything to the cone clutch during the rebuild because it didn't need it then.

The odometer recently turned over 110,000 miles since I've owned the car (1984).  It had 51K when I bought it, but the odo wasn't working, so it might have been significantly more.  I have had O/D selected during almost all of those 110K miles.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

---- WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> > Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 01:25:27 +0000

Could be incipient failure of the accumulator O-ring seals. They might be
tight enough to engage properly when the oil is cold, but too loose to hold
pressure warm.

Bill Lawrence

> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 08:54:29 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Healeys] Overdrive slipping
>
> Thanks, Bill -
>
> I don't suspect low hydraulic pressure because the O/D engages immediately
when I select it.  Other than the slipping under load, it is working fine.
But of course, a check of the pressure before tearing the O/D down would make
sense.
> I rebuilt the unit in 1993, with new accumulator, pistons, seals, bearings,
etc. and I have religiously kept the oil changed at least once a year (and
sometimes more, depending on the mileage).  I didn't do anything to the cone
clutch during the rebuild because it didn't need it then.
>
> The odometer recently turned over 110,000 miles since I've owned the car
(1984).  It had 51K when I bought it, but the odo wasn't working, so it might
have been significantly more.  I have had O/D selected during almost all of
those 110K miles.
> > > I've begun feeling some slipping in the overdrive when I try to
accelerate in third gear with overdrive engaged -- i.e., the engine RPMs
increase but there is no acceleration.  I have also heard a "spinning" sound
from somewhere during slipping. It doesn't happen with overdrive disengaged or
if I accelerate gently.  I suspect the linings of the overdrive cone clutch
are worn.  Naturally, the clutch and its linings are N/A in the Moss catalog.

[email-masked]