Subject: Re: [Healeys] Poor running and smoking engine.

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 05:58:15 +0800

Sounds to me like you haven't topped up the dash pots with 20 weight oil.
 Are they full with the right oil?  Also that and the car needs a full
tuneup.

On Friday, October 4, 2013, Brian Drab wrote:

> Here is a question for all to ponder.
>
> Last weekend I, and a number of fellow club members, attended a North West
> Meet in Cle Elum Washington. We experienced some rain during the meet. One
> club member, who is driving a BJ7, gassed up at a local gas station, during
> the meet. On the evening of the last day, he experienced sudden bout of
> rough running and spitting back through the carbs. Prior to that, the car
> had been running very well. The car smoothed out and later that evening
> suddenly ran rough again then stopped running.3 fuel pumps later we thought
> the problem had been solved. Sunday, he topped up his gas tank at the same
> station and pump as before and away we went on the return journey. About an
> hour into the journey it was noticed that on acceleration after
> decelerating
> and also during shifting, a quantity of blue oil smoke out the exhaust. The
> car was spitting back through the carbs regularly and frequently. Only very
> light throttle pressure made it drive reasonable. After a couple of more
> hours we topped our tanks. Running with the choke out a bit made it run
> better. Within the hour all previous signs of rough running disappeared as
> did any smoke from the exhaust. By the time we were almost home the car was
> running normal again.
>
> I believe a tankful of bad gas could have caused the rough running but the
> smoke from the exhaust has me, and everyone else, baffled.
>
> Anyone have experience with this or thoughts on the subject?
>
> Brian Drab
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:39:49 -0700

If it is spitting through the carbs it would force the piston up 
which would expel the dash pot oil through the vent hole. Top the carbs up.

John Spaur

> > ... he experienced sudden bout of rough running and spitting back 
> through the carbs. Prior to that, the car

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

Brian
Does this car have a power brake booster on it? If so check the brake/clutch
fluid supply tank for low fluid level. If really low the booster needs repair
or replacement.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Drab <[email-masked]>

Here is a question for all to ponder.
Last weekend I, and a number of fellow club members, attended a North West
eet in Cle Elum Washington. We experienced some rain during the meet. One
lub member, who is driving a BJ7, gassed up at a local gas station, during
he meet. On the evening of the last day, he experienced sudden bout of
ough running and spitting back through the carbs. Prior to that, the car
ad been running very well. The car smoothed out and later that evening
uddenly ran rough again then stopped running.3 fuel pumps later we thought
he problem had been solved. Sunday, he topped up his gas tank at the same
tation and pump as before and away we went on the return journey. About an
our into the journey it was noticed that on acceleration after decelerating
nd also during shifting, a quantity of blue oil smoke out the exhaust. The
ar was spitting back through the carbs regularly and frequently. Only very
ight throttle pressure made it drive reasonable. After a couple of more
ours we topped our tanks. Running with the choke out a bit made it run
etter. Within the hour all previous signs of rough running disappeared as
id any smoke from the exhaust. By the time we were almost home the car was
unning normal again.
I believe a tankful of bad gas could have caused the rough running but the
moke from the exhaust has me, and everyone else, baffled.
Anyone have experience with this or thoughts on the subject?
Brian Drab
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 06:44:51 +0200

Running the engine wh oil in the dashpot can lean out the mixture on
acceleration. But if the mixture was a bit on the lean side before, it
might (might!) cause piston overheating, and ring seizure or ring tension
loss. And then comes the blue smoke.

Gergo

2013/10/4 <[email-masked]>

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:53:24 +0200

Probably contaminated fuel, possibly diesel in the petrol. It is not 
unknown that reclaimed diesel that has been tanked by accident instead 
of petrol is mixed with petrol by some petrol stations. No one would 
notice if  e.g. 10% diesel is mixed with petrol. Perhaps the petrol 
station overdid it a bit. In the 1950's/60's big US cars were often 
converted to run on paraffin in the Netherlands, which apparently was a 
very simple job. Paraffin was only a fraction of the costs of petrol.
However it is not a good idea for relatively small engines.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 3-10-2013 23:46, Brian Drab schreef:
> hour into the journey it was noticed that on acceleration after decelerating
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]