Subject: [Healeys] Poor running and smoking engine.

From: Brian Drab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:46:11 -0700

Here is a question for all to ponder.

Last weekend I, and a number of fellow club members, attended a North West
Meet in Cle Elum Washington. We experienced some rain during the meet. One
club member, who is driving a BJ7, gassed up at a local gas station, during
the meet. On the evening of the last day, he experienced sudden bout of
rough running and spitting back through the carbs. Prior to that, the car
had been running very well. The car smoothed out and later that evening
suddenly ran rough again then stopped running.3 fuel pumps later we thought
the problem had been solved. Sunday, he topped up his gas tank at the same
station and pump as before and away we went on the return journey. About an
hour into the journey it was noticed that on acceleration after decelerating
and also during shifting, a quantity of blue oil smoke out the exhaust. The
car was spitting back through the carbs regularly and frequently. Only very
light throttle pressure made it drive reasonable. After a couple of more
hours we topped our tanks. Running with the choke out a bit made it run
better. Within the hour all previous signs of rough running disappeared as
did any smoke from the exhaust. By the time we were almost home the car was
running normal again. 

I believe a tankful of bad gas could have caused the rough running but the
smoke from the exhaust has me, and everyone else, baffled.

Anyone have experience with this or thoughts on the subject?

Brian Drab
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys