Subject: Re: [Healeys] running lights

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:12:05 -0400 (EDT)

Maybe I'm missing something, I usually do, but wouldn't this be accomplished
by just turning on the headlight switch?
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. C. Rubino <[email-masked]>
To: healeylist <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm
Subject: [Healeys] running lights

In Canada there is a requirement that car lights be lite during the day.
esterday my brother in law met me on the road and said he could hardly make
ut the Healey in the late afternoon and suggested that I install running
ights-old cars are exempt from the reg.
I would like to do this but would also like my back lights as well as my
eadlights to be on during the day. Anybody  have any easy suggestions?
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:30:21 -0700

I agree with Perry, and no I don't think he's missing anything.  It sounds
like all you have to do is to turn on your lights...  Headlights.

Maybe It's old school, I always learned that you should never drive with
just your parking lights on, it was all lights or nothing.  Parking lights
are for when you are parked, i.e., not moving.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:53:22 -0400

I think what Carl is getting at is that he would like some way to ensure
that he would not forget to turn the headlights on or perhaps off!!
My daily driver (summer) is a '67 Cooper S and I used to get admonished
regularly for driving on our windy country road with my headlights not on.
To solve the problem I removed the brown supply wire from the lighting
switch and ran a wire from the white #2 terminal of the ignition switch to
that lighting switch terminal. That way the lights come on with the
ignition, when I leave the headlight switch turned on and, more
importantly, go off when I turn the engine off.
I was concerned that the ignition switch, which is the same as that in a
BJ8, would not be able to handle the load but, touch wood, no problems yet.

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Michael Salter

[email-masked]

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:41:29 -0700

New cars have some sophisticated ways of doing this (my 2014 Forester
has four positions on the headlight switch and none of them is what is
usually meant by 'off'.)  Maybe we could borrow a relay or two from
them so that when we want to start our Healeys the headlights are
turned off and things like that.  In cold weather or with a tired
battery the starter may be short on energy with the headlights on.

I am not familiar with BJ8 ignition switches, maybe #2 terminal is off
when the switch is in the 'start' mode.  That would be nice.  On
earlier Healeys something else would be needed.

-Roland

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:53:22 -0400, Michael wrote:

::I think what Carl is getting at is that he would like some way to ensure
::that he would not forget to turn the headlights on or perhaps off!!
::My daily driver (summer) is a '67 Cooper S and I used to get admonished
::regularly for driving on our windy country road with my headlights not on.
::To solve the problem I removed the brown supply wire from the lighting
::switch and ran a wire from the white #2 terminal of the ignition switch to
::that lighting switch terminal. That way the lights come on with the
::ignition, when I leave the headlight switch turned on and, more
::importantly, go off when I turn the engine off.
::I was concerned that the ignition switch, which is the same as that in a
::BJ8, would not be able to handle the load but, touch wood, no problems yet.
::
::Michael S
::BN1 #174
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 23:51:17 +0200

I presume you mean daytime running lights.
On old cars having the headlights on all the time is not a good idea. 
The electrical system is not really up to the job.
On my Jensen Healey I converted the indicator lights with a white and 
amber lens to take a powerful white LED light that comes on when the 
ignition is switched on. It is not blinding yet powerful enough to be 
noticed during daylight. On the AH you could convert the white town 
light lens and fit a much brighter LED light. You could also use an 
extra set of period fog/spotlights with a LED light bulb, e.g. H1. The 
LED's use only a fraction of the power that is needed for the standard 
or H4 headlamp bulbs. With the daytime running lights on the rear lights 
are of. Officially the daytime running lights should turn of 
automatically when the head lights are switched on.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Dr. C. Rubino schreef op 16-10-2013 22:04:
> Yesterday my brother in law met me on the road and said he could hardly make
> out the Healey in the late afternoon and suggested that I install running
> lights-old cars are exempt from the reg.
>
> headlights to be on during the day. Anybody  have any easy suggestions?
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 20:14:23 -0400 (EDT)

Parking lights. Why would you want to turn them on when you are parked? Do you
leave the engine running too or just rely on the battery? Yes, I have heard of
double parking, but I cannot recall the last time I saw someone actually doing
it. I certainly would not double park my Healey.
Gary H.

-----Original Message-----
From: Curtis Arndt [email-masked]

Maybe It's old school, I always learned that you should never drive withjust
your parking lights on, it was all lights or nothing.  Parking lightsare for
when you are parked, i.e., not moving.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:53:35 -0700

There have been "parking lights" on cars in America for as long as I can 
remember.  Circumstances may have changed making them superflous.

I was stationed in France from 1959 to 1963.  I do not know if things have 
changed there, but especially in the rural areas, when you parked your car 
at night by the side of a road, you had to leave your parking light (you 
could choose which light was on the road side of the car as I recall), and 
if your vehicle had one of those little semaphore turn signal arms that was 
lighted, you put that up.  That would be the true use of a "parking light".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] running lights

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:07:32 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1381972001; bh=6h3cJKPIv8fBYtoQvPO2dVtg+EsbX8ZUrm0S8M7vBaQ=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=SSvH7Z99Zdkxfr+G+8cQnFmvUYaujK6lAbr6k2OVQCQxLJk8oeRjs/ueSCRB0bd4t HGXCOHOxmZZs3Cq+RHNxcd6JfMmSPBTyfBTxjr7zKQfH7SbPhajmpffAjfSK4FvK0k yWQ0VW6ckjq0c5MQiSWz/Dgmu5LlK2bX2tTbaBVrYrGgbkIiAmTuteyUW23y4cjwA8 xtJuLjY3oEqSjIkv/7hwuZZ9w6y6i7jZKW1iNFFNfPa/v7Q6AthBd5Vhlc8tyU09kZ lStGPiQrE9gAaxrO0YFyacR2TguPmT168U/tAQJ54SB/3QXvqMjmgqSG7mtzy6TwCY WJUBXP5TgEi5g==

Somebody told me once, and it may or not be true (and I may or not remember 
it correctly, but that's another problem), that a long time ago, when 
approaching an oncoming car, the drivers "dipped" their headlights, meaning 
the "offside" light went completely out, leaving only the "kerbside" light 
to show the way.  Apparently this was before they figured out how to make 
high-low beams.  At which point the side lights (or "parking lights" ) would 
delineate the width of the car, as they were on top of the fenders.

Another old story; I have seen a car (TC) where the forward wing lights 
would come on when the brake pedal was pushed, to alert the pedestrian that 
you were stopping, and thus he could cross safely.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Mike
BN2 

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:23:20 +1000

Mike
I can remember the Bn1 I had in the 60's had the front parking lights
(indicator?) come on when the brakes came on. Was a bit disconcerting to me
at the time. Later deduced it must have been something wrong with that large
mysterious relay box in the front inner guard.
Never bothered to look at it because I knew nothing about it in those days
and when sold they still came on
John Rowe
Qld Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Thursday, 17 October 2013 11:08 AM
To: Healey Forum
Subject: Re: [Healeys] running lights

Mike
BN2 

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:24:53 +1000

...used to be the same in the UK - you got a ticket for parking without 
lights. Don't know if it's changed in the last 30 odd years (since I left 
for Oz)

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz

-----Original Message----- 
From: Len and/or Marge Hartnett
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:53 AM
To: AH Mail List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] running lights

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] running lights

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:35:31 -0700

Gary,

They are called parking lights for a reason, they were used for parking,
and especially parallel parking so as not to blind other drivers with your
headlights.  Maybe a bit antiquated, but that's the way it was taught 45
years ago.  Plus the idea is to be seen by other cars (and trucks) so if
it's dark enough for parking lights, it's dark enough for all lights.

Additionally, Florida and California require that in the rain if the wipers
are on, then the lights are on.  Also a good idea to be more visible to
other drivers, especially trucks.

Plus in most states I've lived, it is illegal to drive with just parking
lights on.  Some states do allow you to drive with them, but I believe they
are in the minority.

Curt

>From a professional truck driver...

Something to keep in mind... You are driving in the rain with just your
park lights on and you go to pass that semi in the right lane... At the
same time, the driver of that truck needs to change lanes because of a
slower moving vehicle in front of him. They look in the mirror and can't
see anything through the road spray coming off their wheels, so they
signal, and change lanes... the only problem is... you are just about even
with the trailer wheels when this whole thing transpires.... If you had
your headlights on, that driver would have seen you back there through the
mist and would have waited for you to go by, but if they can't see you,
they may endanger your life unintentionally. Granted... we could go into a
long discussion regarding who's fault it would be and more than likely the
driver would be sighted for a number of violations, but you would still be
dead.

Silver, grey and other dark colored cars literally "disappear" in the road
spray thrown off the tires of a truck. I have a rule, and so do a few
states in the US... if your wipers are on, turn your headlights on too.
This is not for you to be able to see, but for you to be able to be "seen"!

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Parking lights. Why would you want to turn them on when you are parked? Do
> you leave the engine running too or just rely on the battery? Yes, I have
> heard of double parking, but I cannot recall the last time I saw someone
> actually doing it. I certainly would not double park my Healey.
> Gary H.

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 02:08:42 +0000

Also handy when parking on the side of the road at night for an impromptu tech
session...

Bill Lawrence

> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:35:31 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:16:33 -0400 (EDT)

Curt,
FWIW, The 100 Owner's Handbook refers to them as "sidelights".
Gary
BTW, I am not disagreeing with anything you wrote.

Gary,

They are called parking lights for a reason,
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]