Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:22:23 +1100

Hi Josef,
Do they have a round clicking knob on the shock body, or do they have a wired
remote adjuster?
Wired remote adjustable type was fitted to Aston Martins. Rear shocks could be
adjusted from inside the cockpit.
The ones adjusted from under the car with a clicking knob were, as far as I
know, a competition add on.
The reality is the rear shocks were really a handful of castings, a dozen
springs, a dozen valves, and hundreds of arms. So e.g you can make an MGB rear
shock into a BJ8 rear shock with a BJ8 arm, spring & valve. You can make a
Sprite rear shock into a 3000 MK1 shock with an arm, spring & valve....
So depending on the size of the adjustable shock body you have, you can make
it fit any other car that uses that size shock body.
Bit like Lucas distributors really.
As far as fitted standard? I don't know.
BMC, Rootes etc all sold them (with heavy spring etc, and appropriate arm) as
a special tuning part. For MGB, sprite, etc
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/10/2013, at 6:01 PM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Who can tell me more about original "Adjustable Armstrong Lever Shock
> Absorbers" and to which cars they were fitted? By  chance I have got a
> pair of rear ones. To which cars or for what purposes  were they
> fitted by factory? Were they an aftermarket item to fit by
> enthusiasts or were they only used for the Works Austin-Healey
> rally/racing cars? For what purposes were they used. Is there any kind
> of written information to them? Sorry lots of questions, but I am sure
> there are the experts within this list to give me some answrs. Many
> thanks.  Josef Eckert
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:32:33 +1100

G'day Josef

I know that they were fitted as standard equipment to all BN3/1s.

They are a standard Armstrong lever arm rear shock with an undulating turn
knob in place of the valve screw. By turning the knob the valve goes in and
out which adjusts the strength of the shock absorber action.

As far as I know they were fitted to the Works Rally cars. At the front
there was upgraded lever arm Armstrongs, but each one had a brake pipe and
reservoir to keep the shock oil up as the oil used to boil and leak past the
seals.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia (where it's raining)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 6:01 PM
To: Forum Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks

Who can tell me more about original "Adjustable Armstrong Lever Shock
Absorbers" and to which cars they were fitted? By  chance I have got a pair
of rear ones. To which cars or for what purposes  were they fitted by
factory? Were they an aftermarket item to fit by enthusiasts or were they
only used for the Works Austin-Healey rally/racing cars? For what purposes
were they used. Is there any kind of written information to them? Sorry lots
of questions, but I am sure there are the experts within this list to give
me some answrs. Many thanks.  Josef Eckert Konigswinter/Germany
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 04:44:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Josef,

I am more familiar with their use on Sprites than big Healeys. 
They were fitted to the original works bugeye Sebring cars.  The BMC
Mechanical Service Parts  List for the MK I and MK II Sprites had a page of
"Special Tuning" parts which included the adjustable shocks. When BL was
cleaning out their spares in the early '80s, they sent out a clearance sheet
of Special Tuning parts to their dealers and I ordered a pair of the
adjustables from the local MG dealer.  Only one came in and I eventually found
another one at AH Spares from Fred Draper.  Today, they are extremely rare and
I have seen them sell for $1,000 a pair.  Peter Caldwell at
www.nosimports.com  can rebuild them and I understand he has some Armstrong
information sheets concerning them.  Peter also makes his own version of an
adjustable shock, but it does not look like the originals and is not period
correct.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:
http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

________________________________
 From:
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: Forum Healeys
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:01 AM
Subject:
[Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks

Who can tell me more about original
"Adjustable Armstrong Lever Shock
Absorbers" and to which cars they were
fitted?
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 05:44:47 -0600

Aston Martin used them. Electric step motor to rotate the internal valve. 4
settings available from a dash rotary switch
Dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
Porter Custom Bicycles

1954 Austin Healey 100

1970 MG Midget

gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:01 AM
To: Forum Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks

thanks.  Josef Eckert Konigswinter/Germany

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:25:27 -0500

Josef, I have the original design date sheets and performance curves 
and other information if you need. PDF files and slow to send.
Some of the things people sent you already are correct, some not.
         Peter Caldwell
------

[email-masked]