Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid

From: Stephen Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:27:55 -0400

Along with changing brake fluid every few years, we have to have this 
discussion every few years!
Seriously though, when I changed to DOT 5 I changed all the rubber 
components, and happened to be fitting new brake lines at the time, 
so I started with a clean slate. I was very pleased with the result 
for a number of years. If you're doing a restoration, the first time 
you test your brake system there may be leaks, and there's nothing 
more horrible than the paint removing properties on a newly painted 
frame. Rich Chrysler was the one who convinced me to go with DOT 5, 
and I'm glad I did.
During my restoration, I've had the opportunity to examine all the 
brake components after years of DOT 5 use, and I saw no corrosion.
By the way, I always had a good firm pedal, but, since I know that 
you can't compress a liquid, I think that it is harder to bleed all 
the air out of the silicone fluid, so often there may be a small 
amount of air that is giving the impression of compressability.

Stephen, BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys