Subject: [Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:01:26 +0100

Who can tell me more about original "Adjustable Armstrong Lever Shock
Absorbers" and to which cars they were fitted? By  chance I have got a
pair of rear ones. To which cars or for what purposes  were they
fitted by factory? Were they an aftermarket item to fit by 
enthusiasts or were they only used for the Works Austin-Healey 
rally/racing cars? For what purposes were they used. Is there any kind
of written information to them? Sorry lots of questions, but I am sure
there are the experts within this list to give me some answrs. Many
thanks.  Josef Eckert Konigswinter/Germany
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:06:36 +0100

Hi Chris, 

	They are with the round clicking knob on the bottom of the shock
body. They also have a cylindrical bulge a little further up with the
valve fitted.This looks similar to the valve fittment of ordinary
ones.

	Josef 

	Von: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]> 

	An: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] 

	Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks 

	Datum: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:22:23 +0100 

	   Hi Josef, 

	Do they have a round clicking knob on the shock body, or do they have
a wired remote adjuster? 

	Wired remote adjustable type was fitted to Aston Martins. Rear shocks
could be adjusted from inside the cockpit. 

	The ones adjusted from under the car with a clicking knob were, as
far as I know, a competition add on. 

	The reality is the rear shocks were really a handful of castings, a
dozen springs, a dozen valves, and hundreds of arms. So e.g you can
make an MGB rear shock into a BJ8 rear shock with a BJ8 arm, spring &
valve. You can make a Sprite rear shock into a 3000 MK1 shock with an
arm, spring & valve.... 

	So depending on the size of the adjustable shock body you have, you
can make it fit any other car that uses that size shock body. 

	Bit like Lucas distributors really. 

	As far as fitted standard? I don't know. 

	BMC, Rootes etc all sold them (with heavy spring etc, and appropriate
arm) as a special tuning part. For MGB, sprite, etc 

	Best 

	Chris

[email-masked]