Subject: [Healeys] Mal Doherty RIP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:55:21 -0700 (PDT)

At the Lake Tahoe meet I found out that Mal had died in Feb. Perhaps others do not know this either. He was a valuable contributor to the Austin Healey scene in Southern California since the mid 50's. He was a multiple slalom champion in his black 100. I met him in 1976, naturally at a slalom. He made his Healey dance through the cones. He gave me great advice and great stories since then.
Condolences to Ruth and the family.
Ken Freese
65 BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:32:09 -0700

Very sad news, indeed, to hear of Mal's passing.

I met Mal at the Fresno, CA, Healey Daze '77.  There was an Autocrosse (sic) 
held in the Convention Center parking lot.  This lot was a series of 
parallel rows divided by concrete parking blocks and with a curbing all 
around the perimeter.  When it was time to start the event, no one wanted to 
go first.  Having participated in a few autocrosses previously, I 
volunteered to do so.  My time was 1 minute, 42.0  seconds.  As the event 
progressed, my time held up keeping me in first place.  Some over-ambitious, 
and perhaps over-lubricated, contestants got too enthusiastic and ran over 
the concrete blocks and/or curbs doing some major damage to their Healeys. 
Then along came Mal.  With a time of 1 minute, 40.9 seconds, Mal relegated 
me to second place for the event.  Third place driver is unknown but turned 
a time of 1 minute, 43 seconds.

Mal and I both drove, showed, and/or participated in driving events at 
various Healey meets after that.  I will miss him and his beautiful Hundred.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Forum Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:55 AM
Subject: [Healeys] Mal Doherty RIP

> At the Lake Tahoe meet I found out that Mal had died in Feb. Perhaps 
> others do not know this either. He was a valuable contributor to the 
> Austin Healey scene in Southern California since the mid 50's. He was a 
> multiple slalom champion in his black 100. I met him in 1976, naturally at 
> a slalom. He made his Healey dance through the cones. He gave me great 
> advice and great stories since then.

[email-masked]