Subject: [Healeys] tuning and timing

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 17:17:31 -0700

Ok, I checked the archives but still have questions about timing and 
tuning the 3000 engine with three HS4 carbs.

1. The basics are set the valve clearances then set the breaker points.
2. Static time the car with #1 at TDC and pulley mark lined up with 
the timing cover pointer.
3. Set up the carb jets per the manual.

 From reading the archives it is not clear to me if the static timing 
should be advanced 10-15 degrees or static on the mark as the book states.

Some posts stated it should be advanced as much as 35 degrees. Is 
that not when the engine is running at higher rpm's and the 
mechanical advance and vacuum advance have kicked in or should the 
static advance be higher?

It seems the only way I can get the idle down low enough is to have 
the car static timed on the pointer and pulley marks. The carbs are 
rebuilt and there are no air leaks.

What should the basic timing be when I am tuning the carbs?

Any clues and help people can provide would be appreciated.

John Spaur
San Jose
'62 BT7
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys