Subject: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 Healey

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:16:31 -0500

Hello, I am new to this list.  Just purchased a 1959 austin healey 100-6 which
has a newly rebuilt engine, and underwent a full restoration in 1990.  I have
some questions on things I found wrong on the car:

1.  The car runs better with choke half out, high idle.  I put the choke in,
and it eventually stalls.  Tonight, it may have flooded, or vapor locked
because I cannot get it restarted.  I will let it sit for a couple hours.  Is
this a simple carb tune-up issue?

2.  The clutch makes a howling noise intermittently when fully engaged, and it
is hard to shift into gear--this in intermittent.  It is almost like the
hydraulic fluid may be low, so the clutch is not fully disengaging.  But why
is it so intermittent?

3.  This newly rebuilt engine has only a few hundred miles on it--I have the
build sheet from the specialty British shop that did the work.  But the car
has some mild oil leaks.  The seller says this is normal bbutecause of the
leather gaskets--I noticed the biggest leak is on the passenger side, where
the distributor assembly bolts to the block.  Is it normal for all Healeys to
leak some oil?

The car is in great shape, but I don't feel comfortable driving it because of
the worry it may quit or flood or vapor lock, or something.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Chris in Iowa.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 13:10:48 -0700

Chris,

To the mechanic suggestion, would add - join the local Austin Healey Club,
see

https://healeyclub.org/clubs/

They can also point you to favorite mechanics.

--

Steve Gerow

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 16:04:59 -0700

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [email-masked]
Date: Jun 23, 2013 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 Healey
To: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>

You'll need to check for vacuum leaks or adjust carbs or both.
They all leak a bit. Keeps them from getting rustythe only leather gasket
is between oil se Der and hard line.
Join a local Healey or British car club and get advice on a good mechanic.
Many folks are traveling to Healey meets and the list should be slow.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
On Jun 23, 2013 11:09 AM, "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]> wrote:

I'll take a stab, but there are more accomplished mechanical types on the
list.

Comments below.

> this a simple carb tune-up issue?

The first half of the choke travel should only open the throttles, the
second half should lower the jets inducing a richer mixture. Sounds like
your throttles are not set properly.

> hydraulic fluid may be low, so the clutch is not fully disengaging.  But

Could be hydraulic fluid level, air in the line, etc.  Sometimes, things
are intermittent even thought they logically seem like they shouldn't be.
 Also, the throwout 'bearing' is a carbon disk, if it wasn't replaced at
engine rebuild--it should have been--you may be getting metal-to-metal
contact between the 'bearing' housing and the clutch actuating disk.

> the distributor assembly bolts to the block.  Is it normal for all Healeys

I don't know of any 'leather' gaskets on a Healey engine.  The front seal
is a 'rope' type, the rear main has a 'reverse Archimedes' scroll that is
supposed to channel oil back into the engine (if sort-of works).   If your
rebuilder told you there are leather gaskets I'd be questioning his
knowledge and/or truthiness (but, there may, if fact, be leather gaskets
somewhere but I can't recall one).

-- 
***********************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

***********************************************************************

______________________________**_________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>

options/healeys/eyera3000@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Greg Mandas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:58:04 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

One novice to another ...

Get copies of the
   Mechanical Service Parts List, and
   BMC Workshop Manual,

Both are easily available.

I also suggest you contact British Car Specialists (David is on the list) and
get a copy of
   Norm Nock's Tech Talk.
It has a great section on tune ups.

Greg

--- On Sat, 6/22/13, Chris Scholz <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Chris Scholz <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 Healey
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 9:16 PM
> Hello, I am new to this list. 
> Just purchased a 1959 austin healey 100-6 which
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]