Subject: Re: [Healeys] Semantic Battles over Silly Things

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:02:30 -0400

Well---there you have it-----your quick and dirty is better that others:)

---- [email-masked] wrote: 

=============
As an editor (of a car magazine), I just love these semantic battles:
Are antifreeze and coolant the same thing by different names? And who sez?

One person's quick-and-dirty wikipedish online source says they're the same.

BUT, my primary reference for this kind of information, the Road & Track
Automotive Dictionary (John Dinkel, Bentley Publishers, 2000), says:

"Antifreeze: Any of several substances (commonly liquids and typically
ethylene glycolo) mixed with water and added to a car's cooling system to
lower the freezing point of the coolant and to inhibit formation of rust and
other deposits."

Note that according to them, the two terms are obviously different, and also
note, according to them, Antifreeze DOES NOT RAISE THE BOILING POINT OF THE
COOLANT. Only something like Water Wetter can actually do that.

So there, for what it's worth.

Gary

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine
Editor-at-large, Austin-Healey Magazine
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Stephen Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:37:48 -0400

Ed,
if you want to be EXACT, you wouldn't have written "(it might of 
worked <G>)", when you meant "it might have worked", or even "it 
might've worked".

Just being exact.

Stephen, BJ8

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:22:04 -0400

Sorry Gary, but "how" you presented it was that others rushed to judgement using an obviously not credible internet source, but you had the answer--complete with THE only valid source----- I took it exactly as did Skip.  Then again, it is difficult to tell from e-mails---so, who knows.

Cheers
tom

=============
It's journalists like us who despair of readers like you who don't read
carefully. Note that I made no claim of my credentials, scientific or
otherwise.
What I wrote was that "according to them [Road & Track], antifreeze doesn't
raise the boiling point."
Which is a reasonable interpretation, given that the definition noted that
antifreeze in coolant did lower the freezing point of the coolant.
G.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:28:59 +1000

Hi all,

Let me clarify my point that ethlene glycol is not as efficient a coolant as
water...

Here's a reference;

"The specific heat capacity of ethylene glycol based water solutions are less
than the specific heat capacity of clean water. For a heat transfer system
with ethylene glycol the circulated volume must be increased compared to a
system with clean water."

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

There is even a chart, which indicates running 50% ethlene glycol as a
"coolant" requires an increase in your coolant capacity of 14%, assuming your
engine is running at around 185 F

My owners handbook refers to using water as a coolant, and only adding ethlene
glycol as an antifreeze in freezing conditions. But what would the blokes that
built the cooling system know??
I think most people who have owned Healeys for a while, in a hot climate, not
subject to freezing conditions, have realised they have less overheating
related issues with water and some kind of anti corrosion protection, than
they do with 50% or so ethylene glycol.
I solved all my bugeye sprite cooling issues when I changed back to water 30
years ago. I'd put 60% ethylene glycol in it to drive down to the snowy
mountains. It overheated all the way there, and all the way back.... No
problems when I switched back to water. And yes, it was a heavily modified
sprite, 1220cc, 1.5 in SU's etc
Best
Chris
Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

---

From: "lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jun 2013 10:08:45 +0200

Gary,

English is not my native language, but I dare to say that the thesis "antifreeze doesn't raise the boiling point" is far from being a reasonable interpretation of the definition "antifreeze in coolant does lower the freezing point of the coolant".

It's readers like us who despair of editors like you who don't do correct deductive reasoning (tongue-in-cheek).

Eric

.

[email-masked]