Subject: [Healeys] The 100 engine

From: Simon Griffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:59:56 -0500 FILETIME=[60A08520:01CE6E98]

My attention is turning back to the 100.   The MGB is now running to my
satisfaction and will provide summer driving fun, so I can now focus on my
real mistress!!

I am going to pull the engine and and clean it up and inspect it.  It has not
run for a very long time so I don't really know what horrors I will encounter.
So plan to strip down and rebuild the engine.  Anyway, what is the current
thinking on the head?

Mine is still the original Westlake cast iron, leaded fuel era.   Is it best
to work with this head and use fuel additives or convert over to the modern
unleaded head?  Of course if it turns out that my head is cracked and
un-useable the decision is somewhat made, but at least for now I am rather
conflicted.  On the one hand my heart says stay original, on the other, my
head says that perhaps now is the time to upgrade the engine.   I would really
appreciate some insight into this?

Thanks
Simon
Troy, IL
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:07:55 +0000 (UTC)

Others will provide good technical answers. Here's the psychological one: 

Since the head will be in your hands, take it to a good machine shop and get hardened seats and Stellite (or similar) exhaust valves installed. If you don't, you'll always wonder if you should have; if you do, well, you won't. 

Bob 

ps. I had hardened seats installed in my BJ8 at rebuild about 100K miles ago. I check the rocker clearances every 10-15K miles or so and, near as I can tell, the gaps haven't changed. 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

Thanks 
Simon 
Troy, IL 

[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Griffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:25:03 -0500

Thanks everyone for the feedback and thoughts.   I appreciate it as I ponder
the plans for the restoration.   Key here seems to be to make sure that the
head is properly inspected for cracks by someone that knows what they are
doing.  The results of such an inspection will influence heavily the next
steps.  Thanks again. Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]