Subject: Re: [Healeys] Supporting a painted BN2 body

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 14:40:25 -0400 (EDT)

I wonder if you're overthinking this. When I restored my BN7, while the body
was in the paint shop, I restored the steering shaft, idler arm, front
springs, A-arms, and shocks, rear end and axle, in other words, the minimum
number of components so that the car could sit on the ground and roll around
on its own wheels as needed. In fact, the paint shop allowed me to install the
suspension on its rack before bringing it home so I could simply roll it on
the trailer and come home. The problem with a support rack is that it prevents
easy access to things under the car.
And about the only thing you can install before the engine goes in -- which
means the suspension has to be on -- is the wiring harness and interior. So
why not just alter the order slightly, install the suspension immediately
after the painting is done, and then work from there?

G.

Gary Anderson
Editor-at-Large
Austin-Healey Magazine

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 09:24:14 -0700
From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
To: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Cc: Healey List <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Work stand
Message-ID:
	<CAJKrNeRtpyQrmQQGkWpmxv9rNED=1Qy-DofPxBJVk+m9KF=[email-masked]>

Mike,

It should work equally well on your BN2.

Curt

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Michael MacLean
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Every time I think the body of my BN2 is going to get painted, we find
> something that needs to be fixed, welded or adjusted.  It is very close
> just
> for the fact that the painter is tired of seeing it in his shop.  Now I
> have
> the problem of what to do when it comes home.  It is just a body.  There
> is no
> suspension in it yet.  What did some of you guys use during the
> restoration to
> support the body while you worked on it before you installed the
> suspension?
> I would like to keep it lifted off the ground a few feet while I work on it
> just to make it easier on my back.  When I was working on my Bugeye I
> built a
> dolly from 2 X 6s that just fit under the car inside the wheel wells.  It
> had
> caster wheels to move it around the garage and I am considering building
> another one for the BN2.  It worked for the Bugeye because of the unibody
> construction.  I'm not so sure how this will work for the BN2.
> Mike MacLean
> 56 BN2
> 60 AN5
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:55:22 -0400 (EDT)

Where you install the suspension doesn't matter. If you construct a moveable
frame, do it before you take the car to the body shop, but all it has to do is
give you a way to get the car on and off a trailer for those trips. Once it
gets back home, the best thing to do is to make the installation of the
suspension your first order of business. So that temporary stand doesn't need
to be anything special, and your sprite rack can probably work just fine.

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine
Mercedes-Benz Club of America

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
To: editorgary <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Jun 29, 2013 11:59 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Supporting a painted BN2 body

Gary,
     Thanks for the suggestion.  I doubt I would be able to use the paint shop
to install anything.  This guy is very busy and cramped for space as he is
working on six other Healeys in a shop he rents from a stone mason.  The stone
mason still uses part of the shop on a limited basis, so it can get very
hectic at times. He rents a paint booth from the body shop across the way to
paint the cars.  As soon as it is painted, it is coming home.
Mike
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]