Subject: [Healeys] Installation of Moss Luggage Rack on BJ8

From: Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 13:33:30 -0400 FILETIME=[9E5EB790:01CE6AB7]

My Moss 644-730 luggage rack arrived yesterday without any photos or
instruction.  The low resolution photo in the cataloge offers no good view of
what thew rubber capped feet sit on and no indication of what holds the front
of the rack to the car, or the back of the rack to the trunk lid. They sent
me:

1 trunk rack,

2 rubber capped legs about 15" long,

2 acorn nuts (which I think I see in the cataloge photo) threaded on to what
amounts to be around 1/4" bolt about 1/2 " long with a smooth 1.5" long 1/8"
diameter shaft coming out of the bolt head,

1 strip of rubber about 5" x 1-3/4",

2  hex  3/8" or 5/16" bolts about 3/4" long with hex nuts and

2 partially threaded studs, each with a 2 holed paddle welded to one end, a
tube clamp in the middle between a standard hex nut and a special 3/4" long
hex nut.

I assume the front of the rack either mounts to the trunk hinge (but I don't
know how as my hinge uses what looks like a rivet) or to the paddle ended
studs.

I assume the back of the rack either just sits on the the bumper frame
brackets (which would make it scrach the paint when the lid is raised) or uses
the paddle studs (which then forces the front of the rack to somehow mount to
the trunk hinge). I have no guesses as to what the protruding little smooth
shafts of the acorn nut assembly are for or where to put the 5" long strip of
1-1/2" rubber.

Maybe I'm missing some parts?

I was planning to install the rack today. If anyone has instructions or photos
available, would they please e-mail them to me?

Thanks!

-Dave Murphy,

Dearborn MI , SEMAHC

'66 BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:46:11 -0400

Rick,

Thanks for the higher resolution photo. It looks like the little acorn nut
assemblies with the smooth shafts mount at the front and the smooth shafts
replace the hinge pivot. I wonder how to get the old pivot out of the hinge
and these smooth pivots installed in their place.

I see what looks like the special 3/4 long hex nut securing the tube clamp to
the legs, but I don't see the longish stud with the paddle.

-Dave

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:57:38 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Installation of Moss Luggage Rack on BJ8
To: [email-masked]

Here's a link to a photo:
http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/Products/Google_PLA_Images/644-730_1.jpg

Hope it's of some help

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build: http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

From: Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
To: "healeys @autox.team.net" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:33 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Installation of Moss Luggage Rack on BJ8

1 trunk rack,

brackets (which would make it scrach the paint when the lid is raised) or
uses

I was planning to install the rack today. If anyone has instructions or
photos
available, would they please e-mail them to me?

Thanks!

-Dave Murphy,

Dearborn MI , SEMAHC

'66 BJ8

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]