Subject: [Healeys] Jaguar problem

From: Leonard Berkowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 18:29:53 -0400 FILETIME=[B2919E10:01CE6497]

Hi out there

Hopefully one of you can either help me or knows someone who can help me with
my problem.

My 1998 Jaguar XJ8 has about 75000 miles. This is the first Jaguar like
problem I have ever had.

Nothing makes sense.  After the engine is warmed up the following problems all
start at once

1) The temperature gauge rockets up to the top and the warning light comes
on.
2) The air conditioner suddenly shuts off and warm air starts blowing into the
car.
3) The transmission refuses to shift past third gear.  (biggest problem!)
4) When I shut the car off the electric fans continue to run at high speed for
an unusually long period of time

I checked the water level and found it to be topped off properly.  I haven't
checked the transmission oil level since it is a sealed unit and there is no
dipstick, just a fill plug which I haven't crawled under the car to check yet.
I doubt, however, if that is a problem since there are no signs of leakage
under the car.

I thought that perhaps the tranny was overheating or that the temp sensory was
faulty and might be sending an incorrect signal to the computer causing the
tranny to stay at high revs to help cool the engine, but why would the AC shut
down?

I can't see the connection between the problems, other then perhaps a computer
malfunction.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Len B
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys