Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:41:10 -0500

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that there are
two different thread pitches on the knockoffs dependent upon the year of the
car.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 4:24 PM
To: John Vrugtman
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

I seem to recall a spate of poorly-machined hubs a while ago; though, why a
knockoff would go on easy then refuse to come off is mysterious. 

Bob 

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

On my 66, also with both repro knock offs and hubs, I note that three come
off and on easily, but one seems to have a thread mismatch, which makes it
somewhat harder to remove, but not really difficult. 
Perhaps some recent repros are worse. 

John
64/66 BJ8s
_______________________________________________ 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:15:16 -0600

Thread "count", John <G> ! 8tpi (coarse) BJ-8s & 12 tpi (fine) 
everything else including Spridgets <G>) !

Ed

[email-masked]

---

From: "Chris Dimmock [Healey]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:08:04 +1100

The other point I'd add is that you grease the conical surfaces lightly
(just a light smear), the hub threads, and the wheel splines. you dont
grease the HUB splines.
Try it.
Wipe everything dry, then grease the hub splines and then push the dry
wheel on. Where does all the grease end up - thats right, pushed to the
back of the hub, waiting to heat up and spray on your inner wheel area &
brakes.
Now wipe everything down, and this time, grease the WHEEL splines,
liberallly, now push the wheel on.....
Where did the excess grease end up???
On the threaded end of the hub, where you can just wipe off the excess....
Grease the wheel splines, not the hub splines, and a light wipe on the
conical surfaces, and the threads of the hub & spinner.
Best
Chris
 On Nov 20, 2012 9:15 AM, Just Brits " Shop" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:21:37 -0500

Well, I knew that there was two of something. At least, we may now know what
might have happened for three to be OK and one not OK.

John 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of " Just Brits " Shop
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 5:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

Thread "count", John <G> ! 8tpi (coarse) BJ-8s & 12 tpi (fine) everything
else including Spridgets <G>) !

Ed
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:31:52 -0600

I have first used moly grease then switched to anti-sieze, my observtions:

1.  I went to the anti-sieze because it didn't tend to leach out onto the 
spokes on long hot trips and make a mess like the grease did.

2.  I have always whacked my knock-offs on pretty hard, not to start that 
discussion again, but will say I never had any trouble getting the wheel off 
(or knock off) with either grease or anti-seize, did have trouble when I 
first bought cars and they had not had the wheels off for a long time and or 
some sort of lubricant/protectant had not been used.

3.  What's the secret to getting grease stains out of your t-shirts?, I get 
rings that won't come out from either one. I can get out oil stains if the 
oil wasn't to dirty to start with, but whatever I have had on the splines 
was always pretty much permanent.

Greg Lemon

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:40:06 -0800

re: "I went to the anti-sieze because it didn't tend to leach out onto the spokes on long hot trips and make a mess like 
the grease did."

Trick I learned somewhere: Put a film of silicone RTV on the inside of the hubs where the spokes are anchored--no more 
grease oozing out.

I've tried everything to get the grease out; no luck (esp. with anti-seize).

Bob

On 11/19/2012 4:31 PM, Greg Lemon wrote:
> 1.  I went to the anti-sieze because it didn't tend to leach out onto the spokes on long hot trips and make a mess 
> like the grease did.
>
> 2.  I have always whacked my knock-offs on pretty hard, not to start that discussion again, but will say I never had 
> any trouble getting the wheel off (or knock off) with either grease or anti-seize, did have trouble when I first 
> bought cars and they had not had the wheels off for a long time and or some sort of lubricant/protectant had not been 
> used.
>
> 3.  What's the secret to getting grease stains out of your t-shirts?, I get rings that won't come out from either one. 
> I can get out oil stains if the oil wasn't to dirty to start with, but whatever I have had on the splines was always 
> pretty much permanent.
>
> Greg Lemon

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:52:53 -0800 (PST)

I use GoJo.  I've had success with it as long as you do it before washing and
drying.  Once it goes through a wash cycle forget it.  I usually take an old
tooth brush and work the GoJo into the stain.  Then rinse it in the sink using
cold water.  If it isn't all out then repeat until the grease stain is gone. 
Works for me.

Ron Mitchell
BN6 
BN7

________________________________
From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
To: John Sims <[email-masked]>; "'"
Just Brits " Shop'" <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] 
Sent:
Monday, November 19, 2012 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease
 
I
have first used moly grease then switched to anti-sieze, my observtions:

1. 
I went to the anti-sieze because it didn't tend to leach out onto the spokes
on long hot trips and make a mess like the grease did.

2.  I have always
whacked my knock-offs on pretty hard, not to start that discussion again, but
will say I never had any trouble getting the wheel off (or knock off) with
either grease or anti-seize, did have trouble when I first bought cars and
they had not had the wheels off for a long time and or some sort of
lubricant/protectant had not been used.

3.  What's the secret to getting
grease stains out of your t-shirts?, I get rings that won't come out from
either one. I can get out oil stains if the oil wasn't to dirty to start with,
but whatever I have had on the splines was always pretty much permanent.

Greg
Lemon
_______________________________________________
Archive:
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:43:41 -0500

After thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the inside surface of the wheel hub
(outboard of the splines), I tried using silicone sealant to seal the spoke
heads.  But the grease turned the sealant into a sticky, messy jelly that
was very difficult to remove again.  I changed to 3M automotive body sealant
and that has worked fine for several years now.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 8:40 PM
To: Greg Lemon
Cc: [email-masked]; '" Just Brits " Shop'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

re: "I went to the anti-sieze because it didn't tend to leach out onto the
spokes on long hot trips and make a mess like the grease did."

Trick I learned somewhere: Put a film of silicone RTV on the inside of the
hubs where the spokes are anchored--no more grease oozing out.

Bob

[email-masked]