Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

From: "Mike Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:44:16 -0500

Maybe just to close the chapter on this:

I was never able to get a tight seal using the (machine thread) shutoff
(with fiber washer) from Moss.

I finally opted for a shutoff that I got from a local radiator shop which
had a <-18NPT thread.

Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA

From: Larry Wendland [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:36 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

Mike,  It has been many years since I had my radiator drain tap removed, but
as I remember it is right hand threaded and is a machine thread (straight
thread).  I don't remember the size and threads per inch.  The drain tap in
the side of the block behind and below the exhaust manifold is the same type
of tap and is interchangeable as I remember.  They both use the fiber
washers to seal them.  I've seen two fiber washers, if needed, used on the
block drain tap to get it clocked the right way so as not to over torque it
in order to get it vertical (handle on top and drain hole on bottom).

Larry

'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Garvey <[email-masked]>
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

I need to replace the radiator drain on my BJ8.  The existing drain (which
is a tubular left-hand-threaded concentric bore arrangement) appears to have
pipe threads (ie tapered threads and sealed with sealant) which mate to the
radiator.

The replacement tap (which is a rotary valve with handle) that I have
received from Moss (pn 460-020) is sealed with a fiber washer(pn 324-671); I
am unsure if the new drain has tapered threads.

I am sure someone has been down this road and can advise me on whether I
have the correct replacement parts from Moss.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:45:54 -0500 (EST)

Mike,  It crossed my mind after I replied to you earlier, that someone may
have forced a pipe threaded drain valve in to the bottom of the radiator and
in doing so, reshaped the threads or used a pipe tap.  If it doesn't leak,
that is a good thing.

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Garvey <[email-masked]>
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Nov 10, 2012 4:48 pm
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA

Larry

'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Garvey <[email-masked]>
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 07:52:28 -0500

Likely most of you saw "<-18NPT thread" which should be "one-quarter-18 NPT
thread".  
Somehow the numeric fraction one-quarter did not appear as I originally sent
it.   
Now the chapter is closed.

Mike

Michael Garvey
1967 BJ8/38046
Swampscott, MA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mike Garvey
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA

Larry

'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Garvey <[email-masked]>
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA

[email-masked]

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]