Subject: [Healeys] Steering column replacement

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:11:24 -0700

The non adjust steering box has always leaked. New seal and foam bit did
not help . I just got a replacement column and box( thanks Healeyjim).  Any
advice on switching out the box? Should I replace the whole column/ box as
a unit or can I swap out the box alone en situ?
Any advice is appreciated.
I will replace seal and foam bit.
Thanks.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 05:18:39 +0000 (UTC)

Ira, 

I can't imagine how you could replace the box in situ. The rocker shaft has to be removed from the top and the column has to be withdrawn though the front of the box and I believe the outer tube is soldered into the box. I gotta believe you have to R&R the whole column intact, but, someone on this list may know better. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim Davis BN7 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 13:01:32 -0600 (CST)

Where do you get Varsol nowadays? I couldn't find any in the Pensacola area.

Tim Davis BN7

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Salter" <[email-masked]>
To: "I Erbs" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Ahealey help" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:25:48 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering column replacement

Ira,
Before you go to all the trouble of installing the replacement box I would
strongly recommend that you test it for leaks.
I just did this on the box for my early 100 and discovered a crack in the
original that I would never have picked before the test.
To test mine I used a 3/8" diameter ball from a bearing under the stator
tube flare nut to seal that area then filled the box with varsol and stood
it on end over night.
I didn't put a can under it and the floor was covered in varsol in the a.m.
The varsol is good for cleaning out the box before installing new lubricant
anyway.
Slight leakage around the upper part of the area where the tube is soldered
in are not a problem as that is above the oil level when the box is
installed.
Mine was cracked where the drop shaft tube joined the main box.. Not
good....

-- 
Michael Salter

                         *I have BJ8 water pump kits!!*

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 13:39:16 -0800

I overhauled my adjustable column on the bench around 5-7 years ago. It
still doesn't leak. Leaking is usually caused by too much play in a worn
bushing.

Removing steering box from the car involved removing the radiator, grille,
steering wheel & hub. Once you get the grill and radiator out of the way
it's not that difficult to rotate the assembly and pull it out through the
radiator opening. I used pickle forks and Kroil to get the tie rods apart.
One of them I had to heat the outer area of the tie rod joint a little with
a propane torch to get it to expand just a little.

I pulled the pittman arm on the bench with a cheap Harbor Freight pittman
puller.

Once you've got it on the bench you can compare the states of the bushings
and lever shafts between your original and the new box.

My shaft was mostly unworn so I got away with installing a new bushing and
two of the new-type thin seals.

I used a brand-new brake hone to hone the bushing to size. It took me about
a half hour of honing to open it up just enough for the shaft to slide
through.

This method won't work with a worn shaft because the the part of the shaft
that's worn to the bushing is smaller in diameter than the outer part - so
the shaft will wobble when inserted in a new bushing sized to the original
diameter of the outer part of the shaft. Whew, hope that was clear.

Hopefully one of your boxes has a good shaft in it. I hear worn shafts can
be built up with plasma and ground back down to spec.

With the overhauled box on the bench, it's easy to set the adjuster screw
tension checking for binding with the pittman arm at the right and left
positions. Don't adjust it with the arm pointed straight ahead as that's the
most-worn position and will cause binding when turning the wheel to either
side.

FWIW.

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:11:24 -0700
From: I Erbs <[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >
To: Ahealey help <[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >
Subject: [Healeys] Steering column replacement
Message-ID:
<CACPMnYrP=D3EUjAugjef-o_VXnUf4=[email-masked]>

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

[email-masked]