Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive problem

From: "Neil Blackshire" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:08:52 +0100

Hi Michael,

Finally got to trying to fix the overdrive. I want  to try to look at the
accumulator seals with the unit still in the car before taking everything
out and stripping down the whole unit. Here is a photo of where I am, the
piston moves smoothly in the bore.I have read the archives, the buckeye site
and utube, but I am not sure what to do next;, I have read that it is
difficult to get the piston back in to the bore so I am worried about
pulling the piston out, my fingers are small but theres not much room to
work in there. But how can I get the bore out without removing the piston.
Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.

Neil

De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de
Michael Salter
Enviado el: sabado, 13 de octubre de 2012 20:37
Para: Neil Blackshire
CC: [email-masked]
Asunto: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive problem

Hi Neil,
Based upon my experience i would think that the oil type is not likely to be
the real problem.
You should check that the operating valve is opening all the way as per the
workshop manual as that is very easy and can cause problems but again not
the most likely cause.
My bet would be that the pressure accumulator bore and piston are badly
scored and allowing oil to pass. This can, with considerable effort be
corrected without removing the gearbox.
Wear and damage on other parts can contribute to the leakage but most of
those, like the operating pistons require removal of the unit for repair.

--
Michael Salter

                         I have BJ8 water pump kits!!

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Neil Blackshire <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi Listers,

I just got back from 2000 mile round trip in my 1960 3000, after about 1000
miles sometimes the overdrive would not stay engaged up hill, as journey
continued it gradually got worse until it would disengage straight away. I
was reading about possible causes and solutions and in the workshop manual
it says not to use extreme pressure oil,  I have been adding 75w80 extreme
pressure oil to the gearbox since I have owned the car, 3 years (several
litres) and before leaving on the journey I used 80w90 by mistake. I know
that there are different views on which oil to use, but I thought to try
draining oil and replacing with 20w50 engine oil but manual says removing
filter drain plug  leaves about < pint in the overdrive. Could this small
amount of oil still be a problem? Or am I just wasting my time anyway as the
problem is more likely to be the clutches or an oil pressure problem.

Any comments please.
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Neil Blackshire" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:18:50 +0100

Sorry , forgot the photo

De: Neil Blackshire [mailto:[email-masked]]
Enviado el: jueves, 08 de noviembre de 2012 13:09
Para: 'Michael Salter'
CC: [email-masked]'
Asunto: RE: [Healeys] Overdrive problem

Hi Michael,

Thanks for any input.

Neil

Hi Neil,

--
Michael Salter

Hi Listers,

Any comments please.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Dosrius-20121108-00017.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 06:30:17 -0700

Neil,
 99% of the time it is not the piston rings, but the large O-ring that seals
the cylinder that contains the small accumulator piston. Either you remove
it with air pressure or with an extractor. Call or write me for more detail
if you wish to proceed on your own.
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Neil Blackshire
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:09 AM
To: 'Michael Salter'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive problem

Hi Michael,

[email-masked]