Subject: Re: [Healeys] Frogeye value

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 07:52:56 -0800 (PST)

A solid frogeye is a rarity in the UK.  I was amazed 30 yrs ago at some of the
basket cases they were restoring doing huge amounts of metalwork on cars that
would have been junked over here.  I can see how one with good floors like
this would fetch a premium there.  Big Healey owners who have never driven a
bugeye/frogeye owe themselves a drive.  After all, it was DMH's favorite car. 
:-).  (Full disclosure:  A bugeye was my first car in 1967 and I've owned my
present one since 1977.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty
Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
To: healeylist
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:59 AM
Subject:
[Healeys] Frogeye value
 
Are Frogeye's going up?
http://www.kentcarcollection.com/info.php?id=1043

--
*******************************************************************
Bob
Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]
*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive:
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Ron Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:42:25 -0600

Rick,
 
I couldn't agree more about the big Healey folks needing to experience
driving a Bugeye.  It is the second most fun car I have ever driven, behind
an original Austin Mini Cooper S which a friend of mine had when we were in
college.  I have a Bugeye that has been sitting in my garage for  4 years
waiting for the time and money to restore it. I have owned my 1959 AH 3000
for over 41 years but I can't wait to experience a Bugeye once again.
 
  Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of HealeyRick
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:53 AM
To: Bob Spidell; Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Frogeye value
 
A solid frogeye is a rarity in the UK.  I was amazed 30 yrs ago at some of
the basket cases they were restoring doing huge amounts of metalwork on cars
that would have been junked over here.  I can see how one with good floors
like this would fetch a premium there.  Big Healey owners who have never
driven a bugeye/frogeye owe themselves a drive.  After all, it was DMH's
favorite car. 
:-).  (Full disclosure:  A bugeye was my first car in 1967 and I've owned my
present one since 1977.

Rick

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:04:24 -0600

My brother bought a bugeye looking somewhat similar to this a couple years 
ago, in this case from the original owner, in storage since the early 70s, 
ran when parked, solid floors and rockers, couple bubbles on the rear 
wheelarches.  All there and very original (except a period Ansa or Stebro 
(can't remember) exhaust.  He bought it for his son and they are restoring 
it together.  Pretty cool deal all around.

He paid $2000 or maybe a couple hundred more, but a totally different type 
of sale, word of mouth, other side of the pond, private party sale.

It seems like the collector car business is hot right now, e-bay and the 
televised auctions on cable all the time, giving collector cars more 
exposure and making them easier to find and the coming of age of the car 
crazy boomers with disposable income despite a somewhat stagnant economy 
have something to do with it in my guestimation.

So I think the market in general is going up, especially some of the cars 
that didn't climb so fast in the mid to later part of the 2000s, TRs and 
MGs, and Sprites (vs. the Jags and Big Healeys that did).  The oddball stuff 
like Jensen Healeys, early Fiat and Datsun roadsters and Daimler SP250s and 
whatnot  seem like they are on the rise too.

But then again there are always deals to be had if you are in the right 
place at the right time.

Greg Lemon

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:29:54 -0800

Listers,

Frogeye's are going up in price big time.  A descent car will cost you
north of $10K and possibly double that for one that's well sorted.  John
Hardy and I just helped one of the camera guys from "Car Crazy" (they
filmed our California Healey Week at Big Bear) buy a Bugeye. You can get a
cheaper one but expect to do a lot of work to make it run reliably.

Both my wife and I had Sprites as our first cars.  Our current Bugeye is a
55K very original mile survivor that while it smokes a bit, still has 75
psi oil press on start up, and all of its original parts to include the
rubber floor mats in lieu of carpet.

Cheers,

Curt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{)

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Greg Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> MGs, and Sprites (vs. the Jags and Big Healeys that did).  The oddball
> stuff like Jensen Healeys, early Fiat and Datsun roadsters and Daimler
> SP250s and whatnot  seem like they are on the rise too.
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/cnaarndt@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:45:52 -0600

On 11/21/2012 1:29 PM, Curtis Arndt wrote:

<< Our current Bugeye is a 55K very original mile survivor that while 
it smokes a bit, still has 75 psi
oil press on start up, and all of its original parts to include the 
rubber floor mats in lieu of carpet. >>

And hopefully in my LIFETIME <G><F> Nancy will DEMAND that you restore 
it painting in it's VERY
RARE Original Nevada Beige colour, Curt ! ? ! ? ! ?

Anon
(RE-stirring the pot ?)

[email-masked]

---

From: "Healey Bruce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 06:58:18 -0800

Curt, thanks for letting us know about the camera person from Car Crazy
purchasing a Bugeye.  I've been told that Barry said the CHW filming was the
most fun of any of the Car Crazy episodes they've done.  Nice to know the
people of the Austin Healey Association of Southern California represented
ourselves and our favored marque well.

Bruce Steele, 
Immediate Past President, AHASC
Brea, CA
1960 BN7

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Curtis Arndt
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:30 AM
To: Greg Lemon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Frogeye value

Listers,

Frogeye's are going up in price big time.  A descent car will cost you north
of $10K and possibly double that for one that's well sorted.  John Hardy and
I just helped one of the camera guys from "Car Crazy" (they filmed our
California Healey Week at Big Bear) buy a Bugeye. You can get a cheaper one
but expect to do a lot of work to make it run reliably.

Both my wife and I had Sprites as our first cars.  Our current Bugeye is a
55K very original mile survivor that while it smokes a bit, still has 75 psi
oil press on start up, and all of its original parts to include the rubber
floor mats in lieu of carpet.

Cheers,

Curt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{)

[email-masked]