Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:27:25 -0500 (EST)

A friend recently had great difficulty removing two knock-offs. I don't think
he over tightened them & he definitely greased the threads as will as the
splines. They went on apparently normally. I am not sure what is wrong be
there must be some miss-match between the threads on the hubs & on the
knock-offs. The knock offs & the hubs were both repros, but tno necessarily
the same source. I agree, wheel bearing grease should be all that is
required.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Nov 19, 2012 8:32 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

I've never used anything but the same grease I use to lubricate the wheel
bearings and splines -- high-temp wheel bearing grease.  I've never
experienced knockoffs that were that hard to remove.  What is your procedure
for tightening them?  How frequently do you re-lubricate them?

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:49:56 -0500

I also smear grease on the conical surface of the wheel hub that the
knockoff tightens down on.  
It is not necessary to whale the tar out of the knockoffs when installing
them.  They are designed to tighten themselves as the car is driven, and you
can prove that they do by tightening the knockoff as much as you want, then
marking a "slip mark" on the knockoff and an adjacent spot on the hub with
paint or nail polish.  The marks will separate in a tightening direction as
you drive, even if you have hammered the knockoff on as tightly as you can.
 
My technique is to install the knockoff with the wheel off the ground,
tighten it until it feels snug and you don't see it move when you hit it
with the hammer (really heavy blows not required), and you're done.  I also
never hit the knockoff directly with any kind of hammer, but use a scrap
piece of wood between the knockoff and the hammer, and hit that instead.
This preserves the knockoff, but also the lead hammer.  My current wood tool
is a chunk of oak, which is pretty tough and doesn't splinter as quickly as
a 2 x 4, but wood is cheaper than either a knockoff or a new hammer.
 
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA
 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 3:27 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease
 
A friend recently had great difficulty removing two knock-offs. I don't
think he over tightened them & he definitely greased the threads as will as
the splines. They went on apparently normally. I am not sure what is wrong
be there must be some miss-match between the threads on the hubs & on the
knock-offs. The knock offs & the hubs were both repros, but tno necessarily
the same source. I agree, wheel bearing grease should be all that is
required.
Gary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Tracy Drummond <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:50:48 -0800

I use anti seize.   Also take em off at least once a season.  A battle you do
not want to fight on the roadside.

Sent from my iPhone

> A friend recently had great difficulty removing two knock-offs. I don't
think
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: John Vrugtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:18:58 -0500

On my 66, also with both repro knock offs and hubs, I note that three 
come off and on easily, but one
seems to have a thread mismatch, which makes it somewhat harder to 
remove, but not really difficult.
Perhaps some recent repros are worse.

John
64/66 BJ8s

On 11/19/2012 3:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:26:53 -0500

There are two articles on the Technical page, Safety section at the bottom
of that section. One is an article that explains why knockoffs self-tighten
by design and the second is the original drawing for the patent.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

 
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

[email-masked]