Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering column replacement

From: john spaur <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 22:27:30 -0700

The box and tube are soldered together.

John

At 09:11 PM 11/3/2012 -0700, I Erbs wrote:
>The non adjust steering box has always leaked. New seal and foam bit did
>not help . I just got a replacement column and box( thanks Healeyjim).  Any
>advice on switching out the box? Should I replace the whole column/ box as
>a unit or can I swap out the box alone en situ?
>Any advice is appreciated.
>I will replace seal and foam bit.
>Thanks.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 13:25:48 -0500

Ira,
Before you go to all the trouble of installing the replacement box I would
strongly recommend that you test it for leaks.
I just did this on the box for my early 100 and discovered a crack in the
original that I would never have picked before the test.
To test mine I used a 3/8" diameter ball from a bearing under the stator
tube flare nut to seal that area then filled the box with varsol and stood
it on end over night.
I didn't put a can under it and the floor was covered in varsol in the a.m.
The varsol is good for cleaning out the box before installing new lubricant
anyway.
Slight leakage around the upper part of the area where the tube is soldered
in are not a problem as that is above the oil level when the box is
installed.
Mine was cracked where the drop shaft tube joined the main box.. Not
good....

-- 
Michael Salter

                         *I have BJ8 water pump kits!!*

[email-masked]