Subject: [Healeys] Modified Healey Disc Pad materials

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 06:21:48 -0800

I'm in the process of converting my BN6 to BJ8 front disc brakes. Am going
to use the Toyota 4-piston calipers like Moss sells in their big brake kit.
My car already has a .75" master cylinder.

With no brake booster, am wondering which of the current Four pad materials
would give the least pedal pressure. The following is from an online
Consumer Reports article:

There are four general types of brake pads for cars and trucks:

Semimetallic: This formula, containing about 30 to 65 percent metal,
typically includes chopped steel wool or wire, iron powder, copper or

graphite mixed with inorganic fillers, and friction modifiers that bond all
the ingredients together. These pads are more durable and have

excellent heat transfer, but also wear down rotors faster, can be noisy, and
may not perform optimally at low temperatures.

Nonasbestos organic: Sometimes listed as organic or NAO, this type of pad is
made from fibers, such as glass, rubber, carbon, and Kevlar,

with filler materials and high-temperature resins. These pads are softer and
create less noise, but they wear faster and create more dust.

Low-metallic NAO: These are made from an organic formula mixed with small
amounts (10 to 30 percent) of copper or steel to help with heat

transfer and provide better braking. With the added metal, there is more
brake dust and they may be slightly noisier.

Ceramic: These are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials,
bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in

color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and
quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without

wearing down the rotors.

<<< 

It looks like my main choices are Organic and Ceramic - would appreciate
experience-based advice.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 09:48:04 -0600

What are you using the car for, Steve ? ? ?

That should be what determines which compound.

Ed

[email-masked]