Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:17:48 -0800

I've been using Sta-Lube moly wheel bearing grease on both the splines and
the knockoffs. My knockoffs stick but the splines are fine.

>From this discussion, it sounds like the anti-sieze on the knockoff and keep
the wheel bearing grease on the splines.

Will give that a try and report back later.

BTW - to avoid the stains, remove the top from a Coke or Pepsi can and stick
it over the splines.

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:18:17 -0800
From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >
To: BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >
Cc: [email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Knock off grease
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >

I use the same ol' moly grease I use for king pins, propshaft, etc.

Used to use anti-seize, but decided it didn't provide sufficient friction
reduction (the splines do rub, and need a good 
grease). Also, had too many shirts and pants with permanent, circular grease
stains (anti-seize doesn't come out in the 
wash).

Hint: if you do use an anti-seize, or even a 'regular' grease, spin the
knockoffs onto the hub whilst you work around 
them--the clothes you save may be your own.

Bob

--

Steve Gerow
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:23:56 +0000 (UTC)

I seem to recall a spate of poorly-machined hubs a while ago; though, why a knockoff would go on easy then refuse to come off is mysterious. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

On my 66, also with both repro knock offs and hubs, I note that three 
come off and on easily, but one 
seems to have a thread mismatch, which makes it somewhat harder to 
remove, but not really difficult. 
Perhaps some recent repros are worse. 

John 
64/66 BJ8s 

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:15:21 -0800 (PST)

As far as grease stains go, I can't recommend anything for your clothes, but
if you know someone that works on the railroad, there is a pink hand soap that
is used by the diesel mechanics and a small packet is included in the "Crew
Pak" that is provided to the crews (me) along with napkins, alcohol wipes, a
band aid and an a** gasket for the toilet seat on  our engines.  The hand soap
cleans hands with grease, oil etc like nothing I have ever seen, but it works
great on clothes just before you throw them in the washer.  I have had jeans
with five year old stains that relegated them to just working on the car that
this stuff took out easily.  Not easily obtained by regular folks, but right
now we are hiring three new conductor classes (about 30 individuals)...
Mike MacLean
BNSF Railway engineer
BN2
AN5
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]