Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question

From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:12:53 -0400

Hi Bob:

On the morning I attempted to drive the Healey to Conclave this year, it
would not start.  Long story short, it had dropped a valve [replacement,
hardened] valve seat as it cranked.

On disassembly, it appears the engine [which had about 10-15 years and
~20,000 miles on it] didn't have significant 'gunk'.  The rings look good,
not much pan sludge, etc.

I buy gas at Costco when at home, and try to use major brands when on the
road.

I hope this helps your inquiry.

Al Fuller
al at bighealey dot org
'62 BT-7
'65 BJ-8
'85 Rx-7

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:09 AM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Question

Got curious about something. With all the talk/marketing about cleaners in
gas (Techron, 'Top Tier,' etc.), I would be interested to hear from Healey
owners who have refreshed an engine in the last 10-20 years or so. I'm not
talking about a rebuild of an original engine or barn find but, say, engine
was rebuilt 10-20 years ago, run for 30-50K miles or so, then rebuilt again
recently (probably gonna be a small sample). In general, how much/what type
of crud are we seeing, particularly on intake valves. Would also like to
know if there's been any issues with pan sludge, gunk in the ring grooves,
etc. Would be helpful to know which brand of gas you mostly use. 

I know a lot of the gunk can be attributed to PCV valves venting back into
the manifold, and (most) Healeys don't have them, but I suspect you can
still get some varnish on the backside of the intake valves. 

Bob 

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys