Subject: Re: [Healeys] Webers

From: "E.A. Driver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:25:45 -0600

Hi Joe
You are bang on regarding Colin Campbell's book; and his another two 
"The Sports Car Engine: its tuning and modification" and
"New directions in suspension design: making fast cars faster" are 
equally good reads and references.
Cheers
Ed
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Historian, AHCUSA

On 31/10/2012 5:17 PM, Joe and Lenore Armour wrote:
> Millions of European and British older cars are fitted with Webers as 
> standard and nobody complains!!!!!!
> Why?  Select and fit the right Weber for the job.  Some mild engine 
> upgrades on small bore motors in UK even look for production Weber 
> carbs to fit to their engine.  So you grind the holy daylight out of 
> the cam, take a 100 thou off the head, slash the weight of the 
> flywheel and what, it wont idle?  Me thinks this is not the Webers 
> fault. Oh, and you want to redline it and race everone in the street 
> and surprise, poor fuel consumption!
>
> My Webers start every time. The sound is glorious and everone wants to 
> talk to me. What more could a bloke want? I actually think it a great 
> success the amount of fuel I can pass through my Webers because it 
> gives me the result I wanted --- fun, fun, fun.
>
> BUT, they have to be jetted and set up correctly and that almost means 
> talk to Peter Molloy or do dyno time WITH someone who has the 
> knowledge and selection of bits to fill all those ports and orifices.
>
> Camshafts, read Colin Campbell's book, 'The Sports Car Engine'. He 
> lists 17 different grinds with a comment on their effect. He lists the 
> standard and usually aftermarket  grinders from the US.
> Then get the Weber book by ( cant remember at the moment, but it has 
> a  small green  cover) and this has some specs for Healeys including 
> the float levels.  Dont just see the bloke down the road who had one 
> on his Trabant that he got from his mate cheap.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys