Subject: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:48:28 +0100

Original was bounced, too big..

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lachlan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 October 2012 08:36
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

"If the bleeding of any cylinder continues without success for a
considerable time it is possible that air is being drawn in past the bleeder
screw threads. In such cases tighten the bleeder screw at the end of each
downward stoke of the pedal and allow the pedal to return fully before
re-opening it. Close the bleeder screw finally during the last pedal
application."

I have not been following this thread so forgive me if you've got past this
being a possibility. However, I can never get a 100% firm pedal unless I
follow the advice above which is in my BMC manual. The paragraph is not in
my manual AKD 1179D which I have on my laptop but was a subsequent addition
to later manuals such as the printed version which I keep in my
garage/workshop. One might infer that BMC realized that there was a definite
tendency for a little air to be  drawn back in when the pedal stops
moving/reaches bottom. Hence the further advice. (The threads can only have
become more worn with the passage of time).
I also suspect that a lot of our experts do this as a matter of course, so
much so that they may fail to mention it as being something to look out for.
I, on the other hand, hate bleeding brakes & always find it an ordeal so
have to be reasonably sure to get it right first time.
Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get it fixed in the end.
Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:04:12 +0000 (UTC)

List,

Speed bleeders don't require repeated intructions, work every time, are much
less expensive, and don't talk back. Just sayin'.

Ed Woods

----- Original Message -----

From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
To: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:36:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

G'day

In over 40 years of Austin-Healey ownership I have never been able to
understand why woman cannot comprehend the basics of brake bleeding.

I have forgotten how many times I have asked my wife to push the pedal when
I say and then let it up when I say, but it just never works. My sons on the
other hand have no problem with it.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Simon Lachlan
Sent: Wednesday, 24 October 2012 2:44 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

Yes, for sure.

And getting my wife to sit in the car while I crawl around underneath and to
do what she's asked (told!) is a tough business. So much so that I take it
to the small local garage, hoist it up and get one of the boys there to
help. All after hours and cash in hand.

Simon

B 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 23 October 2012 16:12
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

B 

So would the brake bleeding mantra between my wife and I change from "Down,
Down, Up, Up" to "Almost Down, Almost Down, Up, Up" :)

Aloha

Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]>

Note:-
An interpretation of the paragraph, below, might imply that one tightens the
bleeder just as the pedal's downward stroke is ending. Not after it's
finished. That way no air can come in against the outward flow of fluid.
Works for me.
Simon
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]