Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 05:37:51 -0700

re: "... tighten the bleeder screw at the end of each downward stoke of the pedal and allow the pedal to return fully 
before re-opening it ..."

That's how I was taught to do it.  Also, don't open the bleeder until there's pressure on the pedal (the other half of 
the equation).

Since I usually don't have help, I made my own pressure bleeder by affixing a Shrader valve to a reservoir cap.  About 
10psi on the valve seems about right; since there's always pressure on the system I think you're less inclined to draw 
in any air.

Bob

On 10/23/2012 12:48 AM, Simon Lachlan wrote:
>
> "If the bleeding of any cylinder continues without success for a
> considerable time it is possible that air is being drawn in past the bleeder
> screw threads. In such cases tighten the bleeder screw at the end of each
> downward stoke of the pedal and allow the pedal to return fully before
> re-opening it. Close the bleeder screw finally during the last pedal
> application."
>
> I have not been following this thread so forgive me if you've got past this
> being a possibility. However, I can never get a 100% firm pedal unless I
> follow the advice above which is in my BMC manual. The paragraph is not in
> my manual AKD 1179D which I have on my laptop but was a subsequent addition
> to later manuals such as the printed version which I keep in my
> garage/workshop. One might infer that BMC realized that there was a definite
> tendency for a little air to be  drawn back in when the pedal stops
> moving/reaches bottom. Hence the further advice. (The threads can only have
> become more worn with the passage of time).
> I also suspect that a lot of our experts do this as a matter of course, so
> much so that they may fail to mention it as being something to look out for.
> I, on the other hand, hate bleeding brakes & always find it an ordeal so
> have to be reasonably sure to get it right first time.
> Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get it fixed in the end.
> Simon
>
>
>

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:14:47 +0100

Note:-
An interpretation of the paragraph, below, might imply that one tightens the
bleeder just as the pedal's downward stroke is ending. Not after it's
finished. That way no air can come in against the outward flow of fluid.
Works for me.
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Spidell [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 October 2012 13:38
To: Simon Lachlan
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

re: "... tighten the bleeder screw at the end of each downward stoke of the
pedal and allow the pedal to return fully before re-opening it ..."

That's how I was taught to do it.  Also, don't open the bleeder until
there's pressure on the pedal (the other half of the equation).

Since I usually don't have help, I made my own pressure bleeder by affixing
a Shrader valve to a reservoir cap.  About 10psi on the valve seems about
right; since there's always pressure on the system I think you're less
inclined to draw in any air.

Bob

On 10/23/2012 12:48 AM, Simon Lachlan wrote:
> considerable time it is possible that air is being drawn in past the 
> bleeder screw threads. In such cases tighten the bleeder screw at the 
> end of each downward stoke of the pedal and allow the pedal to return 
> fully before re-opening it. Close the bleeder screw finally during the 
> last pedal application."

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:11:30 -0400 (EDT)

So would the brake bleeding mantra between my wife and I change from "Down,
Down, Up, Up" to "Almost Down, Almost Down, Up, Up" :)
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]>

Note:-
n interpretation of the paragraph, below, might imply that one tightens the
leeder just as the pedal's downward stroke is ending. Not after it's
inished. That way no air can come in against the outward flow of fluid.
orks for me.
imon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:43:41 +0100

Yes, for sure.

And getting my wife to sit in the car while I crawl around underneath and to
do what she's asked (told!) is a tough business. So much so that I take it
to the small local garage, hoist it up and get one of the boys there to
help. All after hours and cash in hand.

Simon

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 October 2012 16:12
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

Aloha

Perry

-----Original Message-----

Note:-

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:36:52 +1100

G'day

In over 40 years of Austin-Healey ownership I have never been able to
understand why woman cannot comprehend the basics of brake bleeding.

I have forgotten how many times I have asked my wife to push the pedal when
I say and then let it up when I say, but it just never works. My sons on the
other hand have no problem with it.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Simon Lachlan
Sent: Wednesday, 24 October 2012 2:44 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

Yes, for sure.

Simon

Aloha

Perry

-----Original Message-----

Note:-

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Tracy Drummond <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:15:59 -0700

This is a G rated forum

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 23, 2012, at 8:11 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]