Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

From: "Mike Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:06:49 -0400

I need to replace the radiator drain on my BJ8.  The existing drain (which
is a tubular left-hand-threaded concentric bore arrangement) appears to have
pipe threads (ie tapered threads and sealed with sealant) which mate to the
radiator.  

The replacement tap (which is a rotary valve with handle) that I have
received from Moss (pn 460-020) is sealed with a fiber washer(pn 324-671); I
am unsure if the new drain has tapered threads.

I am sure someone has been down this road and can advise me on whether I
have the correct replacement parts from Moss.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:36:22 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,  It has been many years since I had my radiator drain tap removed, but
as I remember it is right hand threaded and is a machine thread (straight
thread).  I don't remember the size and threads per inch.  The drain tap in
the side of the block behind and below the exhaust manifold is the same type
of tap and is interchangeable as I remember.  They both use the fiber washers
to seal them.  I've seen two fiber washers, if needed, used on the block drain
tap to get it clocked the right way so as not to over torque it in order to
get it vertical (handle on top and drain hole on bottom).

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Garvey <[email-masked]>
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Radiator Drain

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]