Subject: [Fot] HSR VIR Historics 2025

From: Mark Cook via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2025 16:03:09 +0000

--===============8689022172950884475==
 boundary="--_NmP-e4ddb11eb2aa92e9-Part_1"

----_NmP-e4ddb11eb2aa92e9-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

All,

While very disappointed at not making it to the Kastner Cup at LP, I have =
enjoyed following all the emails and glad it was so successful.  Congrats =
to a well run event!

So, ran in the HSR VIR Historics this past weekend.  Was a lot of fun, but =
not much representation of British cars, much less mine being the only =
Triumph.  A couple MGBs and a GSM Dart.  Pretty much ran in the middle of =
the pack.

VIR being my home track, I did not participate in the track orientation and=
 practice sessions scheduled for all day on Thursday.   When I arrived =
around 3pm Thursday for registration, the track was eerily quiet.  I =
learned it was closed for the day around 1000am when Joe Nemechek had a =
horrible crash in the NASCAR practice session.  I was told, Nemechek, in =
his 2008 NASCAR Toyota Camry, lost his brakes at T14 at about 180mph, went =
off into a barrel roll bouncing into and over the tire wall, which =
catapulted him over the catch fence into the trees.  The trees ripped the =
roof off his car, and tree limbs tore his face shield off.  I understand =
fortunately, he was able to exit the car under his own power, but was =
hospitalized and may have sustained an eye injury.  He has been released =
from the hospital.  I wish him a speedy recovery.  Scary stuff.

There were three qualifying sessions on Friday. Q1 was simply shaking some =
rust off and getting a feel for the other cars in Group 3, but still ran a =
2:20 for P9 out of 24 cars. Temps during Q2 at 1:05pm were in the 90s with =
a hot greasy track, and could not find my rhythm, running a best 2:22 and =
dropping from P9 to P13 out of 24 cars. Then, while not fast, found some =
consistency in Q3 and ran 5 of 7 laps all at 2:22.5+/- finishing P10 out of=
 19 cars.

Q3 Qualifying session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D1AqqmWwnie0

Link to Saturday's Race 1 for Group 2/3.  Car was running great, driver was=
 somewhat improved, with a 2:18.6.  Started P13, gained a few positions on =
the start and finished P10.  There were a lot of fast Porsches which =
claimed the podiums all weekend.  Out of the top 10 cars, five were Porsche=
 911s, one 914/6, a 944 along with a Ford Mustang and Capri, then my TR6.  =
So, I was pretty happy considering the company.=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFBNfZPHQ3Vk&amp;t=3D562s

Saturday's Race 2 ended up only 3 laps due to red flag, but had a decent =
lap of 2:19.  Sunday was basically a wash out for me with constant rain and=
 I had no rain tires.  They scratched the NASCAR historics, and the LMP =
race only had two cars which was like watching a leap frog training session=
, and hard to see the cars due to the rooster tails.

I clearly need to clean my camera lense which was coated by debris from a =
car going off track in qualifying.

Thanks!

Mark Cook

----_NmP-e4ddb11eb2aa92e9-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12p=
t"><p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0;=
 line-height: 1.1;">All,</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">While very disappointed at not making it to the Kastner =
Cup at LP, I have enjoyed following all the emails and glad it was so =
successful.&nbsp; Congrats to a well run event!</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">So, ran in the HSR VIR Historics this past weekend.=
&nbsp; Was a lot of fun, but not much representation of British cars, much =
less mine being the only Triumph.&nbsp; A couple MGBs and a GSM Dart.&nbsp;=
 Pretty much ran in the middle of the pack.</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">VIR being my home track, I did not participate in the =
track orientation and practice sessions scheduled for all day on Thursday.=
&nbsp; &nbsp;When I arrived around 3pm Thursday for registration, the track=
 was eerily quiet.&nbsp; I learned it was closed for the day around 1000am =
when Joe Nemechek had a horrible crash&nbsp;in the NASCAR practice session.=
&nbsp; I was told, Nemechek, in his 2008 NASCAR Toyota Camry, lost his =
brakes at T14 at about 180mph, went off into a barrel roll bouncing into =
and over the tire wall, which catapulted him over the catch fence into the =
trees.&nbsp; The trees ripped the roof off his car, and tree limbs tore his=
 face shield off.&nbsp; I understand fortunately, he was able to exit the =
car under his own power, but was hospitalized and may have sustained an eye=
 injury.&nbsp; He has been released from the hospital.&nbsp; I wish him a =
speedy recovery.&nbsp; Scary stuff.</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">There were three =
qualifying sessions on Friday. Q1 was simply shaking some rust off and =
getting a feel for the other cars in Group 3, but still ran a 2:20 for P9 =
out of 24 cars. Temps during Q2 at 1:05pm were in the 90s with a hot greasy=
 track, and could not find my rhythm, running a best 2:22 and dropping from=
 P9 to P13 out of 24 cars. Then, while not fast, found some consistency in =
Q3 and ran 5 of 7 laps all at 2:22.5+/- finishing P10 out of 19 cars.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Q3 Qualifying =
session:</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;"><a href=3D"https://www.=
youtube.com/watch?v=3D1AqqmWwnie0">https://www.youtube.com/watch?=
v=3D1AqqmWwnie0</a></p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">Link to Saturday's Race 1 for Group 2/3.&nbsp; Car was =
running great, driver was somewhat improved, with a 2:18.6.&nbsp; Started =
P13, gained a few positions on the start and finished P10.&nbsp; There were=
 a lot of fast Porsches which claimed the podiums all weekend.&nbsp; Out of=
 the top 10 cars, five were Porsche 911s, one 914/6, a 944 along with a =
Ford Mustang and Capri, then my TR6.&nbsp; So, I was pretty happy =
considering the company.&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;"><a href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/watch?=
v=3DFBNfZPHQ3Vk&amp;t=3D562s">https://www.youtube.com/watch?=
v=3DFBNfZPHQ3Vk&amp;t=3D562s</a></p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">Saturday's Race 2 ended up only 3 laps due to red flag, =
but had a decent lap of 2:19.&nbsp; Sunday was basically a wash out for me =
with constant rain and I had no rain tires.&nbsp; They scratched the NASCAR=
 historics, and the LMP race only had two cars which was like watching a =
leap frog training session, and hard to see the cars due to the rooster =
tails.</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">I clearly need to clean my camera lense which was coated=
 by debris from a car going off track in qualifying.</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">Thanks!</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.1rem 0; =
line-height: 1.1;">Mark Cook</p></div>
----_NmP-e4ddb11eb2aa92e9-Part_1--

--===============8689022172950884475==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============8689022172950884475==--