Subject: [Fot] Sway bars and C/R gears

From: Ted Schumacher via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 12:53:20 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7388158195737918101==
 boundary="------------PBS5jGYNDtnBnSfmqJgpBfR1"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------PBS5jGYNDtnBnSfmqJgpBfR1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

   Interesting discussions.  Sway bars - here is a link to our Sway Bar 
rate & handling chart.  Data is based on stock bar mounting locations 
but the rate changes are what is important - 
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/swaybarrateschart.html.  There are 
some issues with some of the rear bar mountings offered by some 
suppliers.  You will see TR6 rear bar mounted  by drilling holes in 
frame and using U-bolts.  Maybe OK when it was new but not 40+ year old 
frame. We mount our rear bar by "clamping the mounting brackets" to the 
frame.  Much better mount, less strain on frame and can easily be moved 
fore/aft to change bar rate.  Picture below.
Rear Anti Roll Bar Kit - TR4 - RF4145
CR gears - several things that need to be addressed.  What is cam rev 
range - where does it start to make produce usable power? If you can't 
keep the engine in this power band you are not going to have peak 
performance.  What rear end ratio?  Multiple ratios will give better 
performance than 1 ratio no matter what the gearbox does. For example, 
there are 5 usable diff ratios (3.27, 3.63, 3.89, 4.1, 4.55) that will 
give better lap times by circuit - 4.55 at Blackhawk/Waterford will be 
much quicker than a 3.27.  TR3 - 6 (3.45, 3.7, 4.1) is another example.  
Then add in a 2nd set of tires that are smaller or larger diameter for 
additional gear ratio and you may find that 3rd & 4th are useful with no 
other changes. (btw - a Muncie M21 C/R can be bolted up to  the TR's by 
making an adapter plate to mount to bellhousing - bulletproof. We found 
we were faster than many in IMSA GTU race at Road Atlanta - lost the 
brakes 1/2 way through the race in our ex-Group 44 GT6 and had only the 
gearbox to slow down. Finished mid-pack out of 25 GTU cars). Ted

<https://rimmerbros.com/Members/MediaSubmission--i-RF4145>

-- 
Ted Schumacher
[email-masked]
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
305 S. Jefferson St.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Phone: 800.543.6648 (US & Canada)
Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022

--------------PBS5jGYNDtnBnSfmqJgpBfR1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
      Interesting discussions.  Sway bars - here is a link to our Sway
    Bar rate &amp; handling chart.  Data is based on stock bar mounting
    locations but the rate changes are what is important -
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/swaybarrateschart.html">http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/swaybarrateschart.html</a>.  There
    are some issues with some of the rear bar mountings offered by some
    suppliers.  You will see TR6 rear bar mounted  by drilling holes in
    frame and using U-bolts.  Maybe OK when it was new but not 40+ year
    old frame. We mount our rear bar by "clamping the mounting brackets"
    to the frame.  Much better mount, less strain on frame and can
    easily be moved fore/aft to change bar rate.  Picture below.<br>
    <img src="https://rimmerbros.com/ItemImages/Large/RF4145.JPG"
      id="ProductImage" alt="Rear Anti Roll Bar Kit - TR4 - RF4145"><br>
    CR gears - several things that need to be addressed.  What is cam
    rev range - where does it start to make produce usable power? If you
    can't keep the engine in this power band you are not going to have
    peak performance.  What rear end ratio?  Multiple ratios will give
    better performance than 1 ratio no matter what the gearbox does. 
    For example, there are 5 usable diff ratios (3.27, 3.63, 3.89, 4.1,
    4.55) that will give better lap times by circuit - 4.55 at
    Blackhawk/Waterford will be much quicker than a 3.27.  TR3 - 6
    (3.45, 3.7, 4.1) is another example.  Then add in a 2nd set of tires
    that are smaller or larger diameter for additional gear ratio and
    you may find that 3rd &amp; 4th are useful with no other changes.
    (btw - a Muncie M21 C/R can be bolted up to  the TR's by making an
    adapter plate to mount to bellhousing - bulletproof. We found we
    were faster than many in IMSA GTU race at Road Atlanta - lost the
    brakes 1/2 way through the race in our ex-Group 44 GT6 and had only
    the gearbox to slow down. Finished mid-pack out of 25 GTU cars). Ted<br>
    <div id="product-image" style="margin-left: auto; margin-right:
      auto;position:relative;height:490px;width:490px"><br>
      <div id="interactiveplotsdiv"></div>
    </div>
    <div id="interactiveImagesdiv"></div>
    <div id="RecommendedAccessoriesFeatureddiv"></div>
    <div class="gallerylinks-section">
    </div>
    <div class="360-section">
      <div
        id="ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_PanoramicView1_divpanoramicview"></div>
    </div>
    <div class="customerimages-section">
      <div id="sitefan-customer-images"> <a
          id="ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_CustomerImages1_UploadLink"
          aria-hidden="true"
          href="https://rimmerbros.com/Members/MediaSubmission--i-RF4145"></a>
        <br>
      </div>
    </div>
    <br>
    <div role="status" aria-live="assertive" aria-relevant="additions"
      class="ui-helper-hidden-accessible"></div>
    <div id="___ratingbadge_0" style="border: 1px none rgb(245, 245,
      245); z-index: 2147483647; position: fixed; right: 0px; bottom:
      0px; box-shadow: rgb(162, 162, 162) -1px 1px 3px; text-indent:
      0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background: transparent none
      repeat scroll 0% 0%; float: none; line-height: normal; font-size:
      1px; vertical-align: baseline; display: inline-block; width:
      165px; height: 54px;"></div>
    <div class="zoomContainer" style="transform: translateZ(0px);
      position: absolute; left: 82.5px; top: 453.8px; height: 378px;
      width: 570px;"><br>
    </div>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Ted Schumacher
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com">http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com</a>
305 S. Jefferson St.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Phone: 800.543.6648 (US &amp; Canada)
Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022</pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------PBS5jGYNDtnBnSfmqJgpBfR1--

--===============7388158195737918101==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============7388158195737918101==--