Subject: [Fot] 30 years. 3 decades.

From: Mark J Bradakis via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 07:04:44 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------62DD6BF2931DFB3B67AAE2B0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On this day 30 years ago Team.Net came into being.  The British-cars 
mailing list was already going strong, an offshoot from rec.autos Usenet 
group.  Dale Cook, Jim Muller, then me. Team.net went from 2 lists at 
the beginning, autox and british-cars, and exploded into nearly 70 
different lists with something like 15,000 individuals subscribed at its 
peak.  For a while it was pretty much the only game in town.  As I 
recall, when I attended the SCCA Solo II Nationals 25th Anniversary 
event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox list.

And it amazes me that with such a scatterbrained procrastinator like me 
behind the curtain it is still on the air. It is a lot quieter these 
days, much better software handle many of the janitorial tasks 
automatically.  Back in the beginning, I had to do *everything* by hand, 
so to speak. Subscribes, unsubscribes, errors, I was spending 10, 15, 20 
hours a week maintaining the server.  The first server had a 100 MHz 
processor.  Things have changed.  Back then just having a fast network 
connection at a residence was rare and expensive.  Good old DSL.  I 
remember that time when my service provider went belly up, and team net 
was off the air for 11 days straight.  I don't miss those days at all.

Anyway, happy birthday to those of you still here.  I hope I can 
continue to provide a useful service for years to come.

mjb.

--------------62DD6BF2931DFB3B67AAE2B0
 name="team_net.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="team_net.png"

--------------62DD6BF2931DFB3B67AAE2B0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--------------62DD6BF2931DFB3B67AAE2B0--