Subject: Re: [Fot] Suspension bushings

From: Scott Janzen via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 11:20:17 -0400

--===============5703613142028978195==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_FB28BB8D-3989-460D-8582-F021A581367F"

--Apple-Mail=_FB28BB8D-3989-460D-8582-F021A581367F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

In my GT6 I run the bushings with steel inserts I got from Scott Harper =
at Team Triumph.  I don=E2=80=99t know what they are - black hard =
plastic with steel inserts - but they=E2=80=99ve been on the car for at =
least eight years with no signs of play and 5-6 race weekends a year.  I =
take things apart very regularly to inspect - these have worked well.

On Mar 10, 2020, at 11:00 AM, Jonathan Wright via Fot =
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello FOT,

I am looking for recommendations on suspension bushings for my racecar. =
A little Formula VEE spun into me and took out my front right =
upright/trunion this weekend at willow springs, so while I'm replacing =
the upright assembly, I figured it would be a good time to replace the =
old worn suspension bushings. I have been told a number of different =
opinions from "poly bushings would be an improvement over your old worn =
out bushings" to "nylon is the only way to go" to "poly and nylon are =
terrible you need delrin bushings." So in my lack of experience as a =
vintage triumph racecar driver, I'm asking you seasoned vets your =
opinions on the matter and why, what you are currently running, and if =
you could please provide me with where I can source the bushings you =
recommend. Up until now, I haven't had any complaints with the handling =
characteristics of the car, but I know the bushings are ready for =
replacement. I haven't taken them out yet, so I'm not sure what is =
currently in there. Additionally, if you would be kind enough to spell =
it out for me what type of bushings you run in which locations I would =
appreciate it.

Kas's catch phrase is "never be beaten by equipment" but that Formula =
VEE's equipment beat me up pretty good as it was spinning across the =
track taking me out with him...=20

Thanks!
Jonathan Wright
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_FB28BB8D-3989-460D-8582-F021A581367F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">In =
my GT6 I run the bushings with steel inserts I got from Scott Harper at =
Team Triumph. &nbsp;I don=E2=80=99t know what they are - black hard =
plastic with steel inserts - but they=E2=80=99ve been on the car for at =
least eight years with no signs of play and 5-6 race weekends a year. =
&nbsp;I take things apart very regularly to inspect - these have worked =
well.<div class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Mar 10, =
2020, at 11:00 AM, Jonathan Wright via Fot &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><div class=3D"">Hello FOT,</div><div class=3D""><br=
 class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I am looking for recommendations on =
suspension bushings for my racecar. A little Formula VEE spun into me =
and took out my front right upright/trunion this weekend at willow =
springs, so while I'm replacing the upright assembly, I figured it would =
be a good time to replace the old worn suspension bushings. I have been =
told a number of different opinions from "poly bushings would be an =
improvement over your old worn out bushings" to "nylon is the only way =
to go" to "poly and nylon are terrible you need delrin bushings." So in =
my lack of experience as a vintage triumph racecar driver, I'm asking =
you seasoned vets your opinions on the matter and why, what you are =
currently running, and if you could please provide me with where I can =
source the bushings you recommend. Up until now, I haven't had any =
complaints with the handling characteristics of the car, but I know the =
bushings are ready for replacement. I haven't taken them out yet, so I'm =
not sure what is currently in there. Additionally, if you would be kind =
enough to spell it out for me what type of bushings you run in which =
locations I would appreciate it.</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Kas's catch phrase is "never be beaten =
by equipment" but that Formula VEE's equipment beat me up pretty good as =
it was spinning across the track taking me out with =
him...&nbsp;</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Thanks!</div><div class=3D"">Jonathan Wright</div></div>
_______________________________________________<br class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">http://www.fot-racing.com<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<br class=3D""><br=
 class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_FB28BB8D-3989-460D-8582-F021A581367F--

--===============5703613142028978195==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============5703613142028978195==--

---

From: Brian Schirano via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:34:58 -0400

--===============1945180337129369835==

--000000000000fa10c005a082b4f5

I ran this same question by FOT a month or two ago for my GT6. I wanted
Delrin or Nylatron but these were impossible to find. Ted S suggested
buying the Delrin and machining myself, but I didn't.  In the end I ordered
poly bushings from SuperPro USA.  You can get an absolutely complete front
suspension rebuild kit from the Roadster Factory which is has the black
poly bushes that Scott describes.

Best
Brian

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:01 AM Jonathan Wright via Fot <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hello FOT,
>
> I am looking for recommendations on suspension bushings for my racecar. A
> little Formula VEE spun into me and took out my front right upright/trunion
> this weekend at willow springs, so while I'm replacing the upright
> assembly, I figured it would be a good time to replace the old worn
> suspension bushings. I have been told a number of different opinions from
> "poly bushings would be an improvement over your old worn out bushings" to
> "nylon is the only way to go" to "poly and nylon are terrible you need
> delrin bushings." So in my lack of experience as a vintage triumph racecar
> driver, I'm asking you seasoned vets your opinions on the matter and why,
> what you are currently running, and if you could please provide me with
> where I can source the bushings you recommend. Up until now, I haven't had
> any complaints with the handling characteristics of the car, but I know the
> bushings are ready for replacement. I haven't taken them out yet, so I'm
> not sure what is currently in there. Additionally, if you would be kind
> enough to spell it out for me what type of bushings you run in which
> locations I would appreciate it.
>
> Kas's catch phrase is "never be beaten by equipment" but that Formula
> VEE's equipment beat me up pretty good as it was spinning across the track
> taking me out with him...
>
> Thanks!
> Jonathan Wright
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage>:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Brian Schirano
585-305-0349

--000000000000fa10c005a082b4f5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I ran this same question by FOT a month or two ago for my =
GT6. I wanted Delrin or Nylatron but these were impossible to find. Ted S s=
uggested buying the Delrin and machining myself, but I didn&#39;t.=C2=A0 In=
 the end I ordered poly bushings from SuperPro USA.=C2=A0 You can get an ab=
solutely complete front suspension rebuild kit from the Roadster Factory wh=
ich is has the black poly bushes that Scott describes.<div><br></div><div>B=
est</div><div>Brian</div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote=
"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:01 AM Jo=
nathan Wright via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-lef=
t:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Hello FOT,</div><div><br></div><div>I am looki=
ng for recommendations on suspension bushings for my racecar. A little Form=
ula VEE spun into me and took out my front right upright/trunion this weeke=
nd at willow springs, so while I&#39;m replacing the upright assembly, I fi=
gured it would be a good time to replace the old worn suspension bushings. =
I have been told a number of different opinions from &quot;poly bushings wo=
uld be an improvement over your old worn out bushings&quot; to &quot;nylon =
is the only way to go&quot; to &quot;poly and nylon are terrible you need d=
elrin bushings.&quot; So in my lack of experience as a vintage triumph race=
car driver, I&#39;m asking you seasoned vets your opinions on the matter an=
d why, what you are currently running, and if you could please provide me w=
ith where I can source the bushings you recommend. Up until now, I haven&#3=
9;t had any complaints with the handling characteristics of the car, but I =
know the bushings are ready for replacement. I haven&#39;t taken them out y=
et, so I&#39;m not sure what is currently in there. Additionally, if you wo=
uld be kind enough to spell it out for me what type of bushings you run in =
which locations I would appreciate it.</div><div><br></div><div>Kas&#39;s c=
atch phrase is &quot;never be beaten by equipment&quot; but that Formula VE=
E&#39;s equipment beat me up pretty good as it was spinning across the trac=
k taking me out with him...=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks!</div><di=
v>Jonathan Wright</div></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]<=
/a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Brian Schirano<div>585-305-0349=
</div></div></div>

--000000000000fa10c005a082b4f5--

--===============1945180337129369835==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1945180337129369835==--

---

From: Brad Eells via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 13:28:03 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

A bit of a wild weekend for some of us at Willow Springs.

My front bushings are solid. Comprised of a bronze Oilite bushing with an inner steel sleeve running on an AN bolt. The ends are capped with 3 steel backed, dimpled brass washers. 

I replaced the washers and the bolts in the rebuild. The washers were difficult to find and were sourced from England.

I assume this was the hot set up in 1969/70 when the car was originally built.

They may be described in Kas’s Comp Prep manual.

I think I have some photos at home...

Did you confirm GT6 or Spitfire bits up front?

Brad Eells
Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2020, at 8:01 AM, Jonathan Wright via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hello FOT,
> 
> I am looking for recommendations on suspension bushings for my racecar. A little Formula VEE spun into me and took out my front right upright/trunion this weekend at willow springs, so while I'm replacing the upright assembly, I figured it would be a good time to replace the old worn suspension bushings. I have been told a number of different opinions from "poly bushings would be an improvement over your old worn out bushings" to "nylon is the only way to go" to "poly and nylon are terrible you need delrin bushings." So in my lack of experience as a vintage triumph racecar driver, I'm asking you seasoned vets your opinions on the matter and why, what you are currently running, and if you could please provide me with where I can source the bushings you recommend. Up until now, I haven't had any complaints with the handling characteristics of the car, but I know the bushings are ready for replacement. I haven't taken them out yet, so I'm not sure what is currently in there. Additionally, if you would be kind enough to spell it out for me what type of bushings you run in which locations I would appreciate it.
> 
> Kas's catch phrase is "never be beaten by equipment" but that Formula VEE's equipment beat me up pretty good as it was spinning across the track taking me out with him... 
> 
> Thanks!
> Jonathan Wright
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
> 

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]