Subject: Re: [Fot] electrical gremlins...wtf?

From: Nick Black via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 06:52:13 -0800

Good thought but there’s no big loads avail on the car as the only circuit is the ignition.
Tried flipping ign on and off but not enuf load to see movement on the gauge.

I guess I could have repolarized the gen somehow but it was really just a quick batt change and starter installed when the batt was out.

Just thot it odd at least...

Yes I’m positive about the negative...
Nick

Sent from the wilds of NorCal 

> On Nov 18, 2019, at 8:29 PM, Randall via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> What happens if you turn on headlights with the engine not running?
> -- Randall_______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
> 
> http://www.fot-racing.com
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Nick Black via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 06:52:13 -0800

---

From: Randall via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 10:08:30 -0600

--===============0701503594515984135==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------VEYTGN1B6E1537SFJ6ISMX43W5TXLP
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Generator polarity shouldn't be able to do that, since it eventually gets c=
onnected to the battery=2E Normally the battery is much stronger, so the ge=
nerator gets automatically polarized every time the cutout closes (and the =
red light goes out)=2E

It's not a particularly good idea to switch polarity that way (lots of vio=
lence at the cutout contacts when the generator fights the battery), but it=
 does work (if the contacts survive)=2E

I keep an assortment of "burned out" headlight bulbs for tests like this=
=2E The low beam filament always burbs out first, which leaves the high bea=
m filament functional as a roughly 5 amp load=2E

There are other possibilities, but ammeter polarity is still the first thi=
ng I would check=2E
-- Randall
------VEYTGN1B6E1537SFJ6ISMX43W5TXLP
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Generator polarity shouldn't be able to do that, since it eventually gets c=
onnected to the battery=2E Normally the battery is much stronger, so the ge=
nerator gets automatically polarized every time the cutout closes (and the =
red light goes out)=2E<br><br>It's not a particularly good idea to switch p=
olarity that way (lots of violence at the cutout contacts when the generato=
r fights the battery), but it does work (if the contacts survive)=2E<br><br=
>I keep an assortment of "burned out" headlight bulbs for tests like this=
=2E The low beam filament always burbs out first, which leaves the high bea=
m filament functional as a roughly 5 amp load=2E<br><br>There are other pos=
sibilities, but ammeter polarity is still the first thing I would check=2E<=
br>-- Randall
------VEYTGN1B6E1537SFJ6ISMX43W5TXLP--

--===============0701503594515984135==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0701503594515984135==--