Subject: [Fot] FW: MSD box

From: FoodDude via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 16:13:17 -0500

Those of you who know me know I am not a wrencher.  But I had occasion to
visit with a fellow named Brad Hand, who is with Flying Lizard Motorsports
now, and has connections to Triumphs and Triumph racing from years back.  On
the subject of MSD's, he offered that you never, ever start the car or turn
on the ignition when a charger of any kind is connected to the battery, as
that will doom an MSD, if not immediately, then certainly at the most
inopportune time...FWIW...

Those of you racing the Kas Cup, have a great time and take lots of
pictures.  Wish we could have made it this year.  The Spit is having wiring
issues so instead, will be racing a 914 with CVAR at Eagles Canyon this
weekend.

Cheers, 
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall via Fot
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 1:53 PM
To: 'Fot'
Subject: Re: [Fot] MSD box

> Do people with MSD trouble run ignition cables which have no 
> surpressors so that the MSD might get disturbed?

MSD specifically warns against doing that.

But every MSD box I've run on the street has eventually failed, no matter
which wires I was using.  The only one left has never been installed. <g>

On a related note, how far are you allowed to go?  Seems to me that some of
the "coil per cylinder" setups would be more robust (no rotor or distributor
cap to fail and plenty of time to develop full output even at racing rpm),
if of course you are allowed the electronics to determine timing and so on.

-- Randall  

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3495 / Virus Database: 4311/9481 - Release Date: 04/07/15

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive