Subject: [Fot] Blowing Head gaskets

From: Allen Washatko via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 20:37:07 -0500

--===============6250751533304223779==

--Apple-Mail-5-659577866
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed;
	delsp=yes
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

FoT,

As a follow up to my request for information last fall regarding my  
head gasket failure at RA, I wanted to share my findings. Turns out  
that the ARP head studs did stretch! They were more than ten years  
old. Replaced them over winter and all was well last weekend. It was a  
cool weekend when we ran so the engine was making lots of power to  
fully stress the studs. The new O2 sensor indicated that we were  
running on the rich side of center.

Lesson learned: Measure and mark each head stud. Keep a record. Re- 
measure at each rebuild. Replace when they exceed the measured  
tolerance.

We also re-torqued the studs after a heat cycle. ALL turned 1/8 of a  
turn on the re-torque.

Thanks to the many who offered their insights and assistance on this  
problem.

Best,

Allen

Allen & Jody Washatko
1971 TR6  - Number 6

--Apple-Mail-5-659577866
	charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">FoT,<div><br></div><div>As a =
follow up to my request for information last fall regarding my head =
gasket failure at RA, I wanted to share my findings. Turns out that the =
ARP head studs did stretch! They were more than ten years old. Replaced =
them over winter and all was well last weekend. It was a cool weekend =
when we ran so the engine was making lots of power to fully stress the =
studs. The new O2 sensor indicated that we were running on the rich side =
of center.</div><div><br></div><div>Lesson learned: Measure and mark =
each head stud. Keep a record. Re-measure at each rebuild. Replace when =
they exceed the measured tolerance. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>We =
also re-torqued the studs after a heat cycle. ALL turned 1/8 of a turn =
on the re-torque.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks to the many who =
offered their insights and assistance on this =
problem.</div><div><br></div><div>Best,</div><div><br></div><div>Allen</di=
v><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><div> <div><p style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px =
0.0px"><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica"><b>Allen &amp; Jody Washatko</b></font></p> <p style=3D"margin:=
 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px"><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" =
color=3D"#0000ff" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
#0000ff"><i>1971 TR6<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp; =
</span>- Number 6</i></font></p> </div> </div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-5-659577866--

--===============6250751533304223779==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6250751533304223779==--