Subject: [Fot] Kastner Cup at Summit Point

From: Scott Janzen via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 11:27:51 -0400

--===============6875956307312252689==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_49C04AA3-84BD-4767-8C7F-C94236E19706"

--Apple-Mail=_49C04AA3-84BD-4767-8C7F-C94236E19706
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=iso-8859-1

I've been tasked with writing about the Kastner Cup for the VRG =
newsletter (this was a VRG event), so I'm going to add to the info =
that's been offered so far as a way of starting to write that article.  =
I could also use some stories from the Spitfire racers in Group 4 and =
the TR3 guys in Group 5.

First, some stats:
there were 43 Triumphs and a Triumph-powered Peerless at the track.
Herald - 1
Spitfire - 13
TR4 - 9
GT6 - 8
TR6 - 6
TR250 - 2
TR3 - 3
TR7 - 1
Running in the Cup - 32 cars.  A damp track, family schedules, prior =
incidents (one Spitfire lost) and mechanicals cut into the Cup turn-out. =
 The Cup itself had probably the dampest conditions of the weekend - the =
sky started spitting Sunday morning just as the race started, and the =
lap time for the leader - Mike Munson - was down nine seconds from his =
best the day before, to a 1:35.  By lap four, the wet conditions =
worsened and led to Boyd Wagner dropping two wheels into the grass =
exiting turn eight on the uphill (a fast corner) and backing up onto the =
tire wall.  Only minor damage to the car, but they black flagged the =
session.   Three of us, including yours truly, who was following Dick =
Stockton in his wicked fast TR4, with Jerry Barker suddenly appearing in =
my rear view mirrors, missed the black flags prior to pit in and =
continued to race.  Oops.  We got to sit in the pits for the balance of =
the race.  Dick and I have raced here many times and should have known =
better - we know where every flag station is - so I think we got what we =
deserved.

For me, other than the idiot factor, it almost didn't matter.  This was =
a fantastic race weekend - we all had lots of track time - I had nine =
sessions on track, and that's with skipping the last race on Sunday, and =
not running the two enduros.

Group 3 was almost all TRs - there were 31 cars, and the only =
non-Triumphs were a Europa, a Daimler SP250 and a fast Lotus Elan which =
was the only car that could match Mike Munson.  So, for Group 3 it was =
the Kastner Cup all weekend - all the big TRs and the GT6s were in that =
group.  My understanding is that Sam Halkias was battling carb float and =
jet issues, and was generally a little off Mike's pace, though still =
faster than the rest of us.  Generally, other than the leaders - the =
Lotus, Sam, Mike and Dick Stockton - the next 8-10 cars were separated =
by a second a lap over the whole bunch, and sometimes much less.  So, =
there was fantastic, competitive racing, and mostly beautiful weather =
other than the massive thunderstorm right on schedule for the original =
Kastner time slot on Saturday afternoon.  Even on Sunday, it dried out =
an hour after the Cup and Group 3 - those of us who went out - had one =
of the most competitive races of the weekend, with Henry Frye in the =
screaming yellow 250 trading places with Mark Wheatley's TR4 a number of =
times.

Socially, it was great!  Probably 35+ were paddocked together in the =
grass around a big tent canopy - the others elected to scatter  - and =
the canopy was a gathering point all weekend.  Joe Alexander and Kas =
were based there, we had some eye candy in the form of a couple of =
tribute cars (photos below, though not from the weekend) and two Triumph =
vendors with some fun shiny parts to look at.  The Western Pa Triumph =
Association sponsored the canopy - thanks, guys!- and we had a barbecue =
with about 170 people there Friday night.  Beer was consumed (almost two =
kegs) and it was a great time for the street car club members who came =
to spectate, racers, friends and family to get together.  Street =
Triumphs were all over the place most of the weekend with a strong =
showing from some of the clubs in the region.

History flowed - one of the prior owners of my car was there, as was a =
former GT6 racer who competed against my car at this track in the 1970s =
and knew/knows its then-owner well.  I got some great bits of history, =
and I'm sure others had similar experiences.  For me, that's part of =
what vintage racing is all about.

Photos - Bill Stoler was the event photographer and will be publishing =
images on his website www.billstoler.com , including that group photo =
shoot of all the Triumphs lined up on the main straight Thursday =
evening. I just checked - that one is there, but none of the race photos =
are on the site yet.

Shawn Frank (editor for Spitfire and GT6 magazine) also took photos =
(about 3,000!) and will be sending us all a link in the next few days.

John Clancy was here from England doing a video documentary on Triumphs, =
so we'll see that at some point.

Please, anyone who can fill in the gaps on racing in group 4 and 5, do =
so!  I need stories! =20

Special thanks go to Clark Lincoln for the poster and tee shirt artwork.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Jim Hassall, who did the tough job of getting =
the tee shirts made and sold, and collecting money for the BBQ.

thanks again,=20
Scott

--Apple-Mail=_49C04AA3-84BD-4767-8C7F-C94236E19706
	type="text/html";
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_D6605C67-BE9C-4268-B1FA-73FF1A29CA8B"

--Apple-Mail=_D6605C67-BE9C-4268-B1FA-73FF1A29CA8B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=iso-8859-1

<html><head><base href=3D"x-msg://278/"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div>I've been tasked with writing about the =
Kastner Cup for the VRG newsletter (this was a VRG event), so I'm going =
to add to the info that's been offered so far as a way of starting to =
write that article. &nbsp;I could also use some stories from the =
Spitfire racers in Group 4 and the TR3 guys in Group =
5.</div><div><br></div><div>First, some stats:</div><div>there were 43 =
Triumphs and a Triumph-powered Peerless at the track.</div><div>Herald - =
1</div><div>Spitfire - 13</div><div>TR4 - 9</div><div>GT6 - =
8</div><div>TR6 - 6</div>TR250 - 2<div>TR3 - 3</div><div>TR7 - =
1</div><div>Running in the Cup - 32 cars. &nbsp;A damp track, family =
schedules, prior incidents (one Spitfire lost) and mechanicals cut into =
the Cup turn-out. &nbsp;The Cup itself had probably the dampest =
conditions of the weekend - the sky started spitting Sunday morning just =
as the race started, and the lap time for the leader - Mike Munson - was =
down nine seconds from his best the day before, to a 1:35. &nbsp;By lap =
four, the wet conditions worsened and led to Boyd Wagner dropping two =
wheels into the grass exiting turn eight on the uphill (a fast corner) =
and backing up onto the tire wall. &nbsp;Only minor damage to the car, =
but they black flagged the session. &nbsp; Three of us, including yours =
truly, who was following Dick Stockton in his wicked fast TR4, with =
Jerry Barker suddenly appearing in my rear view mirrors, missed the =
black flags prior to pit in and continued to race. &nbsp;Oops. &nbsp;We =
got to sit in the pits for the balance of the race. &nbsp;Dick and I =
have raced here many times and should have known better - we know where =
every flag station is - so I think we got what we =
deserved.</div><div><br></div><div>For me, other than the idiot factor, =
it almost didn't matter. &nbsp;This was a fantastic race weekend - we =
all had lots of track time - I had nine sessions on track, and that's =
with skipping the last race on Sunday, and not running the two =
enduros.</div><div><br></div><div>Group 3 was almost all TRs - there =
were 31 cars, and the only non-Triumphs were a Europa, a Daimler SP250 =
and a fast Lotus Elan which was the only car that could match Mike =
Munson. &nbsp;So, for Group 3 it was the Kastner Cup all weekend - all =
the big TRs and the GT6s were in that group. &nbsp;My understanding is =
that Sam Halkias was battling carb float and jet issues, and was =
generally a little off Mike's pace, though still faster than the rest of =
us. &nbsp;Generally, other than the leaders - the Lotus, Sam, Mike and =
Dick Stockton - the next 8-10 cars were separated by a second a lap over =
the whole bunch, and sometimes much less. &nbsp;So, there was fantastic, =
competitive racing, and mostly beautiful weather other than the massive =
thunderstorm right on schedule for the original Kastner time slot on =
Saturday afternoon. &nbsp;Even on Sunday, it dried out an hour after the =
Cup and Group 3 - those of us who went out - had one of the most =
competitive races of the weekend, with Henry Frye in the screaming =
yellow 250 trading places with Mark Wheatley's TR4 a number of =
times.</div><div><br></div><div>Socially, it was great! &nbsp;Probably =
35+ were paddocked together in the grass around a big tent canopy - the =
others elected to scatter &nbsp;- and the canopy was a gathering point =
all weekend. &nbsp;Joe Alexander and Kas were based there, we had some =
eye candy in the form of a couple of tribute cars&nbsp;(photos below, =
though not from the weekend)&nbsp;and two Triumph vendors with some fun =
shiny parts to look at. &nbsp;The Western Pa Triumph Association =
sponsored the canopy - thanks, guys!- and we had a barbecue with about =
170 people there Friday night. &nbsp;Beer was consumed (almost two kegs) =
and it was a great time for the street car club members who came to =
spectate, racers, friends and family to get together. &nbsp;Street =
Triumphs were all over the place most of the weekend with a strong =
showing from some of the clubs in the =
region.</div><div><br></div><div>History flowed - one of the prior =
owners of my car was there, as was a former GT6 racer who competed =
against my car at this track in the 1970s and knew/knows its then-owner =
well. &nbsp;I got some great bits of history, and I'm sure others had =
similar experiences. &nbsp;For me, that's part of what vintage racing is =
all about.</div><div><br></div><div>Photos - Bill Stoler was the event =
photographer and will be publishing images on his website <u><a =
href=3D"http://www.billstoler.com">www.billstoler.com</a></u>&nbsp;, =
including that group photo shoot of all the Triumphs lined up on the =
main straight Thursday evening. I just checked - that one is there, but =
none of the race photos are on the site =
yet.</div><div><br></div><div>Shawn Frank (editor for Spitfire and GT6 =
magazine) also took photos (about 3,000!) and will be sending us all a =
link in the next few days.</div><div><br></div><div>John Clancy was here =
from England doing a video documentary on Triumphs, so we'll see that at =
some point.</div><div><br></div><div>Please, anyone who can fill in the =
gaps on racing in group 4 and 5, do so! &nbsp;I need stories! =
&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Special thanks go to Clark Lincoln for =
the poster and tee shirt artwork.</div><div><br></div><div>Lastly, I'd =
like to thank Jim Hassall, who did the tough job of getting the tee =
shirts made and sold, and collecting money for the =
BBQ.</div><div><br></div><div>thanks =
again,&nbsp;</div><div>Scott</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><img =
id=3D"296ef114-434e-4d72-b5cc-ab492c4769d9" height=3D"334" width=3D"646" =
apple-width=3D"yes" apple-height=3D"yes" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><img =
id=3D"74a2bc2d-a7b7-4a08-ae0a-2ea4faaf6d6b" height=3D"480" width=3D"640" =
apple-width=3D"yes" apple-height=3D"yes" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"></div></=
body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_D6605C67-BE9C-4268-B1FA-73FF1A29CA8B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename="Macau back in Canley.jpg"
	name="Macau back in Canley.jpg"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_D6605C67-BE9C-4268-B1FA-73FF1A29CA8B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=IMG_2271.jpeg
	name="IMG_2271.jpeg"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_D6605C67-BE9C-4268-B1FA-73FF1A29CA8B--

--Apple-Mail=_49C04AA3-84BD-4767-8C7F-C94236E19706--

--===============6875956307312252689==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6875956307312252689==--