Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 diff disassembly

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:50:01 -0500

Without a diff spreader... you can use a torch and heat up the perimeter of
the case.  It does not take much to expand the cast case by a couple of thou
and the pumpkin will fall out!

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Joe Boruch
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 diff disassembly

I have aways been able to pry the diff out with extra large screw drivers as
pry bars.  Joe(B)

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
To: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] TR4 diff disassembly
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:12:19 -0400

So, i am pulling apart the rear axle to send it to Southwick for conversion.
I'm working without a shop manual - and want to pull the differential out of
the housing.  I've removed the bearing caps.  Do I need Churchill Spreader
xyz, and is there a good/cheap substitute?  It does not want to pop out with
the persuasion of a pry bar.

BTW, there's a Detroit locker . . . any special instructions?
____________________________________________________________
30-second trick for a flat belly
This daily 30-second trick BOOSTS your body&#39;s #1 fat-burning hormone
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5244ecdd827986cdd2c70st04duc
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:52:43 -0700

If you put the banjo in a press just a relatively gentle vertical squeeze will spread the case horizontally and release the diff with little drama. 
On Sep 26, 2013, at 7:25 PM, "Joe Boruch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have aways been able to pry the diff out with extra large screw drivers as pry bars.  Joe(B)
> 
> So, i am pulling apart the rear axle to send it to Southwick for conversion.  I'm working without a shop manual - and want to pull the differential out of the housing.  I've removed the bearing caps.  Do I need Churchill Spreader xyz, and is there a good/cheap substitute?  It does not want to pop out with the persuasion of a pry bar.
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
>

---

From: christopher bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:45:22 -0400

Is the spit/gt6 diff kind of the same thing?  Where you need to squeeze the case to get the diff out?   

I haven't gotten to disassemble the diff in my spit but couldn't you grind a little of the case away to make removal easier?

Just an idea from someone with no knowledge on this. 

Chris

On Sep 27, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Bill Babcock <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
>

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:50:05 -0600

> I haven't gotten to disassemble the diff in my spit but couldn't you grind a little of the case away to make removal easier?

Yes, you could set it up so the carrier and its bearings are easy to 
drop in and easy to pull out.
Which would be nice, because you would be doing it a LOT.  With no 
preload and a few thousandths
of slop, the bearings will be destroying themselves on a regular basis.  
And as the carrier shifts
back and forth messing up the mesh between the pinion and crown gear, 
you'd hear odd noises,
really odd noises when it would be time to replace those, too.

mjb.

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:31:52 -0500

Does anyone else remember the early 6-Pack articles by Len Renkenberger? He had a series on some of the tougher jobs like TR6 diffs making your own special tools. He also covered rear hubs. Great stuff. 

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 27, 2013, at 7:50 PM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> christopher bock wrote:
> Yes, you could set it up so the carrier and its bearings are easy to drop in and easy to pull out.
> Which would be nice, because you would be doing it a LOT.  With no preload and a few thousandths
> of slop, the bearings will be destroying themselves on a regular basis.  And as the carrier shifts
> back and forth messing up the mesh between the pinion and crown gear, you'd hear odd noises,
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
>

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:44:24 -0600

--===============2143778458==

--Apple-Mail-1-496422562
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed;
	delsp=yes
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I used Len's information quite often when sorting my TR6 early on.  
Really practical useful stuff.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Sep 28, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Bob Kramer wrote:

> Does anyone else remember the early 6-Pack articles by Len  
> Renkenberger? He had a series on some of the tougher jobs like TR6  
> diffs making your own special tools. He also covered rear hubs.  
> Great stuff.
>
> Bob Kramer
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>> I haven't gotten to disassemble the diff in my spit but couldn't  
>>> you grind a little of the case away to make removal easier?
>>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>

--Apple-Mail-1-496422562
	charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I used Len's information quite =
often when sorting my TR6 early on. Really practical useful =
stuff.<br><div> <span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse:=
 separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: =
2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; "><div style=3D"border-collapse:=
 separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
"><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><br></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
">Bud Rolofson</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><br></div><div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
font-size: medium; ">Extreme Parts Racing&nbsp;(more than just a =
haircut)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
font-size: medium; ">71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3</div><div>71TR6 =
CC57365 (Good 6)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
font-size: medium; ">93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle&nbsp;<br>77 =
Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit =
Bike)</div></div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><br></div><div style=3D"border-collapse:=
 separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
"><br></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"> </div><br><div><div>On Sep 28, =
2013, at 8:31 AM, Bob Kramer wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>Does =
anyone else remember the early 6-Pack articles by Len Renkenberger? He =
had a series on some of the tougher jobs like TR6 diffs making your own =
special tools. He also covered rear hubs. Great stuff. <br><br>Bob =
Kramer<br>Sent from my iPhone<br><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Sep =
27, 2013, at 7:50 PM, Mark J Bradakis &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">christopher =
bock wrote:<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Is the spit/gt6 diff kind of the same thing? &nbsp;Where =
you need to squeeze the case to get the diff =
out?<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">I haven't gotten to disassemble =
the diff in my spit but couldn't you grind a little of the case away to =
make removal easier?<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Yes, you could =
set it up so the carrier and its bearings are easy to drop in and easy =
to pull out.<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Which would be =
nice, because you would be doing it a LOT. &nbsp;With no preload and a =
few thousandths<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">of slop, the =
bearings will be destroying themselves on a regular basis. &nbsp;And as =
the carrier shifts<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">back and =
forth messing up the mesh between the pinion and crown gear, you'd hear =
odd noises,<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">really odd noises =
when it would be time to replace those, too.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">mjb.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">_______________________________________________<br></blockqu=
ote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br></blockquote>=
<blockquote type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br></bloc=
kquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br></=
blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br></bl=
ockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br></=
blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote>___________________________________________=
____<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><br>http://ww=
w.fot-racing.com<br><br>Donate: =
http://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<br><br><br>=
</div></blockquote></div><br></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-1-496422562--

--===============2143778458==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2143778458==--

---

From: "Peter Vucinic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:05:29 +1000

Bob,
Articles are here

http://www.74tr6.com/6-tech.htm

"You can Make a Small Fortune From Motor Racing. As long as You Started With
A Lage Fortune!"
Kind Regards
Peter Vucinic
TR-4
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bob Kramer
Sent: Sunday, 29 September 2013 12:32 AM
To: Mark J Bradakis
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 diff disassembly

Does anyone else remember the early 6-Pack articles by Len Renkenberger? He
had a series on some of the tougher jobs like TR6 diffs making your own
special tools. He also covered rear hubs. Great stuff. 

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

>> I haven't gotten to disassemble the diff in my spit but couldn't you
grind a little of the case away to make removal easier?
> preload and a few thousandths of slop, the bearings will be destroying 
> themselves on a regular basis.  And as the carrier shifts back and 
> forth messing up the mesh between the pinion and crown gear, you'd hear
odd noises, really odd noises when it would be time to replace those, too.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
> 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]