Subject: Re: [Fot] 4.875:1 diff ratio?

From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:17:43 -0500

That is a Herlad 948 diff you have there.

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Barr, Scott
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:16 PM
To: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph
Subject: [Fot] 4.875:1 diff ratio?

We are looking at a Spitfire/GT6 differential which has a 39-tooth ring gear
and an 8-tooth pinion gear.   If my math is correct, that is a 4.875 ratio.
Is that possible?

If so, has anyone ever used such a beast?

Scott B.

Scott Barr
McCarty Law LLP
(920) 257-2233
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:07:21 -0400 (EDT)

I had two of these sets for my solo TR6 car.

first gear was pretty much useless.

But the thing accelerated like your would not believe!

:-)

rml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Robert MacKenzie wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:10:40 -0500

That'll be a nice ratio if you want to go autocrossing, commonly called a 
4.88. Not so much for highway driving. For racing it depends on  the track 
(a "busy" low-speed track yes, Road America no)

With that many teeth (because they are thinner, less beefy), If you're 
driving in competition I recommend you have the gears shot-peened first. It 
strengthens the metal. I speak as one who's gone through several 4.55 
gearsets, then a friend who does that kind of work told me about it and I 
had it done to my current one (the last spare I had).

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Barr, Scott'" <[email-masked]>; "''Friends of Triumph'Triumph'" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] 4.875:1 diff ratio?

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:56:56 -0500

I think I have one set in a box somewhere.

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 30, 2013, at 12:07 PM, "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]