Subject: Re: [Fot] Kastner Cup Photos and a first question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

--===============1416812985==

--part1_6daa7.2e20410f.3f6085c5_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 09/09/2013 9:05:21 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I have many questions after attending this event; but I'll start with 
> one.
> Why do we call it the "Triumph Ghetto" when high class operations like the
> West Coast Crew in Tony Garmey's Ferrari Transporter, and so many others 
> are
> there?  And then you add high class people like Peggy and Kas? This is no
> "ghetto" scene, my friends.
> 

Of course not, and for sure...there is no shortage of Class in the Triumph 
Paddock.  But 'Triumph Ghetto' is certainly not used in a mean spirited 
manner.  It is just an attempt at some self-depreciating, tongue in cheek humor, 
as well as a reference to our humble beginnings.  

My dictionary defines ghetto as "a section of a city, especially a thickly 
populated slum area, inhabited by members of an ethnic or other minority 
group often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or 
hardships."  

In a way that can be used to describe us.  Back in the so-called 'Golden 
Age', when Kas was just a kid, the paddock was full of full of exotic sports 
cars, most of who's names ended in a vowel and cost wheel barrows full of 
dollars.  TRIUMPHs were different.  They had a price tag that was reachable 
(barely) by the common man.  Thus many people who bought TRIUMPHs, were folk 
regularly challenged by economic restrictions, pressures, and other hardships. 
 But at those golden age events, they showed up..as the low budget, back 
yard efforts they were, and clustered together.  No gold chains around their 
necks, they were bonded brothers (and sisters), competing against the other, 
more glamorous, well-funded racing efforts.  Heck, even Kas' TRIUMPH factory 
backed effort was very 'low budget'.  But history documents the fact that 
TRIUMPH's performance record was Top Shelf.  Based strictly on the number of 
wins (volume), TRIUMPH can lay a claim to the most successful sports car 
performance record of all time.  Consider, the performance of the TR4 caused 
SCCA to change the way race cars were grouped at their events.

I suggest that these days, when the term Triumph Ghetto is used today, it 
is just a reference to our humble, low budget beginnings.  And, let's face 
it...some of that continues today.  Many of the vintage TRIUMPH racers I know 
have more than one place for every nickel they have available.  They scrimp 
and save to be able to race at these events.  And just like back in the 
day...they go FAST.

Bill Dentinger
       
--part1_6daa7.2e20410f.3f6085c5_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" SIZE=3D3 =
PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dat=
ed 09/09/2013 9:05:21 PM Central Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"=
0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEF=
T: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I have many questions after a=
ttending this event; but I'll start with one.<BR>
Why do we call it the "Triumph Ghetto" when high class operations like the<=
BR>
West Coast Crew in Tony Garmey's Ferrari Transporter, and so many others ar=
e<BR>
there?&nbsp; And then you add high class people like Peggy and Kas? This is=
 no<BR>
"ghetto" scene, my friends.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"=
0"><BR>
Of course not, and for sure...there is no shortage of Class in the Triumph =
Paddock.&nbsp; But 'Triumph Ghetto' is certainly not used in a mean spirite=
d manner.&nbsp; It is just an attempt at some self-depreciating, tongue in =
cheek humor, as well as a reference to our humble beginnings.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
My dictionary defines ghetto as "a section of a city, especially a thickly =
populated slum area, inhabited by members of an ethnic or other minority gr=
oup often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or har=
dships."&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
In a way that can be used to describe us.&nbsp; Back in the so-called 'Gold=
en Age', when Kas was just a kid, the paddock was full of full of exotic sp=
orts cars, most of who's names ended in a vowel and cost wheel barrows full=
 of dollars.&nbsp; TRIUMPHs were different.&nbsp; They had a price tag that=
 was reachable (barely) by the common man.&nbsp; Thus many people who bough=
t TRIUMPHs, were folk regularly challenged by economic restrictions, pressu=
res, and other hardships.&nbsp; But at those golden age events, they showed=
 up..as the low budget, back yard efforts they were, and clustered together=
.&nbsp; No gold chains around their necks, they were bonded brothers (and s=
isters), competing against the other, more glamorous, well-funded racing ef=
forts.&nbsp; Heck, even Kas' TRIUMPH factory backed effort was very 'low bu=
dget'.&nbsp; But history documents the fact that TRIUMPH's performance reco=
rd was Top Shelf.&nbsp; Based strictly on the number of wins (volume), TRIU=
MPH can lay a claim to the most successful sports car performance record of=
 all time.&nbsp; Consider, the performance of the TR4 caused SCCA to change=
 the way race cars were grouped at their events.<BR>
<BR>
I suggest that these days, when the term Triumph Ghetto is used today, it i=
s just a reference to our humble, low budget beginnings.&nbsp; And, let's f=
ace it...some of that continues today.&nbsp; Many of the vintage TRIUMPH ra=
cers I know have more than one place for every nickel they have available.&=
nbsp; They scrimp and save to be able to race at these events.&nbsp; And ju=
st like back in the day...they go FAST.<BR>
<BR>
Bill Dentinger<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>
--part1_6daa7.2e20410f.3f6085c5_boundary--

--===============1416812985==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1416812985==--