Subject: [Fot] Put-in-Bay races

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:02:34 -0500

--===============1002760268==

--Apple-Mail=_0FDFA2BB-97FC-48B4-B888-74FE747FEDEC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

This year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio vintage races =
(August 27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MGs.  =
Put-in-Bay races are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run the =
old fashioned way, around hay bales.  Great atmosphere -- one friend =
said he'd been going to vintage races for 25 years and this one was the =
best recreation of old-style racing.  There were about 40 racers, I =
think, but a lot of spectators, including the local islanders, came to =
watch the racing on the taxiway and runway at the temporarily closed =
airport, and spectators were allowed a great view from up close at the =
airport terminal building.  The schedule for registered racers and =
spectators was pretty full for three days straight although racing =
occurred only on the second day because the airport is needed every day =
by the mail plane and the plane that takes high school kids to their =
school on the mainland (racing was on Wednesday). The local police led a =
quick two laps around the original race course, run on the island's =
streets.  I drove that 5000+ foot-long straight many times and could =
barely imagine flying down that long stretch, past people's front yards. =
 Corners were, of course, very tight and trees and boulders lined the =
original course.  The awards luncheon was on the second story of a =
restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we got a great view of tall =
ships coming and going in preparation for the bicentennial celebration =
of the battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle of Lake Erie) where =
Admiral Perry defeated the British Fleet in 1813.

Allen Goode put on a good show at the vintage road race revival at =
Put-in-Bay with his 1963  #44 TR4, coming in second to a Porsche RSK.  =
Nice folks -- I met him and his wife in the paddock where I had my =
Morgan 3-wheeler (I came in a distant last in the all-Morgan race in our =
stock V-twin powered Morgan against modified Ford-powered Morgan trikes, =
two of which ran away from the pre-war supercharged MGs).

Local boy Rich Hahn got into the exhibition group with his '66 TR4 and =
Cornell Babcock ran his '58 TR3.  Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 =
too.

It was a long, long haul for us (coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go =
again someday, next time probably with our 1952 Morgan Plus 4.

Photos and links to photo sites are found at the Put-in-Bay Road Races =
Reunion Facebook page (link here:) http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f=20
 --my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl10/
...and there is more information at: pibroadrace.com

Duncan Charlton
1952 Morgan Plus 4
#6 red=

--Apple-Mail=_0FDFA2BB-97FC-48B4-B888-74FE747FEDEC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">This =
year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio vintage races (August =
27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MGs. =
&nbsp;Put-in-Bay races are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run =
the old fashioned way, around hay bales. &nbsp;Great atmosphere -- one =
friend said he'd been going to vintage races for 25 years and this one =
was the best recreation of old-style racing. &nbsp;There were about 40 =
racers, I think, but a lot of spectators, including the local islanders, =
came to watch the racing on the taxiway and runway at the temporarily =
closed airport, and spectators were allowed a great view from up close =
at the airport terminal building. &nbsp;The schedule for registered =
racers and spectators was pretty full for three days straight although =
racing occurred only on the second day because the airport is needed =
every day by the mail plane and the plane that takes high school kids to =
their school on the mainland (racing was on Wednesday). The local police =
led a quick two laps around the original race course, run on the =
island's streets. &nbsp;I drove that 5000+ foot-long straight many times =
and could barely imagine flying down that long stretch, past people's =
front yards. &nbsp;Corners were, of course, very tight and trees and =
boulders lined the original course. &nbsp;The awards luncheon was on the =
second story of a restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we got a =
great view of tall ships coming and going in preparation for the =
bicentennial celebration of the battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle =
of Lake Erie) where Admiral Perry defeated the British Fleet in =
1813.<div><br></div><div>Allen Goode put on a good show at the vintage =
road race revival at Put-in-Bay with his 1963 &nbsp;#44 TR4, coming in =
second to a Porsche RSK. &nbsp;Nice folks -- I met him and his wife in =
the paddock where I had my Morgan 3-wheeler (I came in a distant last in =
the all-Morgan race in our stock V-twin powered Morgan against modified =
Ford-powered Morgan trikes, two of which ran away from the pre-war =
supercharged MGs).<div><br></div><div>Local boy Rich Hahn got into the =
exhibition group with his '66 TR4 and&nbsp;Cornell Babcock ran his '58 =
TR3. &nbsp;Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 =
too.</div></div><div><br></div><div>It was a long, long haul for us =
(coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go again someday, next time =
probably with our 1952 Morgan Plus 4.</div><div><br></div><div>Photos =
and links to photo sites are found at the&nbsp;Put-in-Bay Road Races =
Reunion Facebook page (link here:)&nbsp;<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; "><b><a =
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f">http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f</a></b></sp=
an>&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;--my photos here:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl10/">http://www.flickr.com/photo=
s/charl10/</a></div><div>...and there is more information at: <a =
href=3D"http://pibroadrace.com">pibroadrace.com</a></div><div><br></div><d=
iv>Duncan Charlton</div><div>1952 Morgan Plus 4</div><div>#6 =
red</div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_0FDFA2BB-97FC-48B4-B888-74FE747FEDEC--

--===============1002760268==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1002760268==--

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:17:45 -0500

--===============1950618238==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-1865E25E-6E19-453A-8B16-A9E6B9215D68
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-1865E25E-6E19-453A-8B16-A9E6B9215D68
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Great report Duncan.

Many of us have not seen Cornell Babcock for a long time and glad he is stil=
l kicking about.

I'd like to go there once.

Joe

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]> w=
rote:

> This year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio vintage races (August=
 27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MGs.  Put-in-Bay races=
 are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run the old fashioned way, ar=
ound hay bales.  Great atmosphere -- one friend said he'd been going to vint=
age races for 25 years and this one was the best recreation of old-style rac=
ing.  There were about 40 racers, I think, but a lot of spectators, includin=
g the local islanders, came to watch the racing on the taxiway and runway at=
 the temporarily closed airport, and spectators were allowed a great view fr=
om up close at the airport terminal building.  The schedule for registered r=
acers and spectators was pretty full for three days straight although racing=
 occurred only on the second day because the airport is needed every day by t=
he mail plane and the plane that takes high school kids to their school on t=
he mainland (racing was on Wednesday). The local police led a quick two laps=
 around the original race course, run on the island's streets.  I drove that=
 5000+ foot-long straight many times and could barely imagine flying down th=
at long stretch, past people's front yards.  Corners were, of course, very t=
ight and trees and boulders lined the original course.  The awards luncheon w=
as on the second story of a restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we go=
t a great view of tall ships coming and going in preparation for the bicente=
nnial celebration of the battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle of Lake Eri=
e) where Admiral Perry defeated the British Fleet in 1813.
>=20
> Allen Goode put on a good show at the vintage road race revival at Put-in-=
Bay with his 1963  #44 TR4, coming in second to a Porsche RSK.  Nice folks -=
- I met him and his wife in the paddock where I had my Morgan 3-wheeler (I c=
ame in a distant last in the all-Morgan race in our stock V-twin powered Mor=
gan against modified Ford-powered Morgan trikes, two of which ran away from t=
he pre-war supercharged MGs).
>=20
> Local boy Rich Hahn got into the exhibition group with his '66 TR4 and Cor=
nell Babcock ran his '58 TR3.  Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 too.
>=20
> It was a long, long haul for us (coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go ag=
ain someday, next time probably with our 1952 Morgan Plus 4.
>=20
> Photos and links to photo sites are found at the Put-in-Bay Road Races Reu=
nion Facebook page (link here:) http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f=20
>=20
> #6 red
>=20
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]=
om
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-1865E25E-6E19-453A-8B16-A9E6B9215D68
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto"><div>Great report Duncan.</div><div><br></d=
iv><div>Many of us have not seen Cornell Babcock for a long time and glad he=
 is still kicking about.</div><div><br></div><div>I'd like to go there once.=
</div><div><br></div><div>Joe<br><br>Sent from my iPad</div><div><br>On Sep 1=
0, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Duncan Charlton &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duncan.charlton54=
@gmail.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockqu=
ote type=3D"cite"><div>This year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio v=
intage races (August 27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MG=
s. &nbsp;Put-in-Bay races are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run t=
he old fashioned way, around hay bales. &nbsp;Great atmosphere -- one friend=
 said he'd been going to vintage races for 25 years and this one was the bes=
t recreation of old-style racing. &nbsp;There were about 40 racers, I think,=
 but a lot of spectators, including the local islanders, came to watch the r=
acing on the taxiway and runway at the temporarily closed airport, and spect=
ators were allowed a great view from up close at the airport terminal buildi=
ng. &nbsp;The schedule for registered racers and spectators was pretty full f=
or three days straight although racing occurred only on the second day becau=
se the airport is needed every day by the mail plane and the plane that take=
s high school kids to their school on the mainland (racing was on Wednesday)=
. The local police led a quick two laps around the original race course, run=
 on the island's streets. &nbsp;I drove that 5000+ foot-long straight many t=
imes and could barely imagine flying down that long stretch, past people's f=
ront yards. &nbsp;Corners were, of course, very tight and trees and boulders=
 lined the original course. &nbsp;The awards luncheon was on the second stor=
y of a restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we got a great view of tal=
l ships coming and going in preparation for the bicentennial celebration of t=
he battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle of Lake Erie) where Admiral Perry=
 defeated the British Fleet in 1813.<div><br></div><div>Allen Goode put on a=
 good show at the vintage road race revival at Put-in-Bay with his 1963 &nbs=
p;#44 TR4, coming in second to a Porsche RSK. &nbsp;Nice folks -- I met him a=
nd his wife in the paddock where I had my Morgan 3-wheeler (I came in a dist=
ant last in the all-Morgan race in our stock V-twin powered Morgan against m=
odified Ford-powered Morgan trikes, two of which ran away from the pre-war s=
upercharged MGs).<div><br></div><div>Local boy Rich Hahn got into the exhibi=
tion group with his '66 TR4 and&nbsp;Cornell Babcock ran his '58 TR3. &nbsp;=
Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 too.</div></div><div><br></div><div>I=
t was a long, long haul for us (coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go again=
 someday, next time probably with our 1952 Morgan Plus 4.</div><div><br></di=
v><div>Photos and links to photo sites are found at the&nbsp;Put-in-Bay Road=
 Races Reunion Facebook page (link here:)&nbsp;<span class=3D"Apple-style-sp=
an" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; "><b><a href=3D"http://t=
inyurl.com/og6vo4f">http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f</a></b></span>&nbsp;</div><di=
v>&nbsp;--my photos here:&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl=
10/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl10/</a></div><div>...and there is mor=
e information at: <a href=3D"http://pibroadrace.com">pibroadrace.com</a></di=
v><div><br></div><div>Duncan Charlton</div><div>1952 Morgan Plus 4</div><div=
>#6 red</div></div></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div><span>_______=
________________________________________</span><br><span><a href=3D"mailto:f=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br><span></span><br><span><=
a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a></span><br=
><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">=
://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span>For=
ums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></=
span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/=
options/fot/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/n197tr=
[email-masked]</a></span><br><span></span><br><span></span><br></div></blockquote>=
</body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-1865E25E-6E19-453A-8B16-A9E6B9215D68--

--===============1950618238==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1950618238==--