Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard mounts for the engine

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:24:38 -0400

Ah.... We solved that problem with rubber mounts between the bowls and carb
bodies; but next time the motor is out a 3 plate and mounts will be applied
for sure.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Kas Kastner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> With the TR-4 engine on the engine dyno at 5000 RPM you could not hold your
> hand on the float bowls and full throttle the vibration was so bad. That
> was the engine bolted down hard. I tried several times to reduce the froth
> in the bowl by dampening with my hand and could not hold onto  the bowl at
> 5000. Take that as a clue. Did not say it would not work in real life, but
> that is a clue.
>
> *Never be beaten by equipment.*
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 09:36:09 +0100

This may be a silly question but why hard mount the engine ??

I'm running round twin sandwich landrover mounts on BST82B in the most severe
environment I think possible and I'm not getting any huge problems with either
vibration or fuel .... Admittedly using webers, but surely it's the same deal
?

If its engine movement that's the issue, or stretching mounts then there are
two solutions ....

'World cup' type steel bowls around the rubber mounts (edge tolerance about
2mm) to stop lateral movement of the rubber sandwich. Easy to make from a band
of steel and two discs. Better still in titanium if you have that capability.

stay bars (such as the OE things) to keep the lump upright by bracing side to
side at the bottom .... You can also brace the top of the engine to the horn
turrets but this induces a lot of steering vibration at high revs and on rough
surfaces, so I tend not to do this anymore.

Regards

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]