Subject: [Fot] Uncle Jack, the Stag

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 09:59:03 -0500

FOT:

Special thanks to Phil and his lovely wife, for bringing Uncle Jack to the
11th Running of the Kastner Cup.

The Stag carries the namesake tribute to Jack Drews
The Stag was restored by ISOA
Named and driven by John Macartney in a North America charity drive.
Then purchased by the the Ethier family in St. Paul.

I am sure that Frances, Tony, and Chris were pleased.

And also those of us who were close to Jack Drews.......

Just another one of the important stories that threaded itself through the FOT
Garages, all week end.

Joe A.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 11:58:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Just another one of the important stories that threaded itself through the 

Amen to that from all of Uncle Jack's fans.  And Tony did his Dad proud 
with his 'Swamp Fox' Art of Racing in the Rain demonstration in the wet Sprint 
Race.  Then on Sunday, with all of the laps he has run at Road America over 
the years...he found two more seconds for his best lap ever in the Triumph 
feature race.  His Mom and sister were beaming.

Then how about poor Mordy Dunst, who spent hours in the Dyno shop trying to 
get his car ready for the event, only to have to pull the plug and cancel 
at the last minute.  So what does he do instead?  He sends a pallet full of 
wine (Classico Chianti and Pinot Grigio) to deal with any TRIUMPH paddock 
attitude adjustment issues.  That is not a typo.  He sent a pallet full of 
wine.  What a guy.  Hooray for our side.

And how about Canadian Mike Deweerd?  The left front suspension peeled away 
from the frame exposing cracks you could see through.  A prominent TR 
Doctor in attendance diagnosed the problem as terminal.  "Sorry my son, but 
you're through."  No so!  Mike stuck with it, borrowing some high tech tools from 
Tony G, he wrestled the car back into shape while strapped up on jack 
stands on his open trailer.  Then he hauled the whole rig up to my friends at 
Yard Racing, where they did considerable field welding...and lo and behold, 
after some quick and dirty attempts to deal with toe in and out, Mike ran all 
three races he was eligible for on Sunday.  And he went fast too.

Mark Wheatley (sp?) continues to impress me in his exCharlie Kates' TR4.  
Mark drives the wheels off that car.  Down through the years, this car's 
driver's accents have had dramatic change (Kates was from Nashville and always 
sounded like he was from down deep in Alabama.  Wheatley's from New 
Hampshire, and sounds more like a Maine lobster fisherman.  But that old Triumph TR4 
sounds the same and is going faster than ever.

That is what is neat about these Kastner Cup events where drivers and cars 
come from all over to cluster together for great racing and great times.  
And how about the Triumph 250K (and a gaggle of other TRIUMPH race cars 
arriving in a big red Ferrari semi trailer.  A big old red FERRARI semi trailer 
right there in the middle of the TRIUMPH GHETTO paddock.  What a concept.  We 
just will not be held back.

Bill Dentinger

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:29:16 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for the kind words.  Sue and I had a great time.

I've got a pretty-full plate right now, digging out at work, but I hope to have a plethera of photographs for you all soon!  Got some panning in, and some 500mm shots across the apex of Seven.  Lots of Gather On The Green statics, too.  Hope they will be worth the wait for you.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joe Alexander" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 9:59:03 AM
> Subject: Uncle Jack, the Stag
> FOT:
> 
> Special thanks to Phil and his lovely wife, for bringing Uncle Jack to
> the 11th Running of the Kastner Cup.
> 
> Just another one of the important stories that threaded itself through
> the FOT Garages, all week end.
> 
> Joe A.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Sent from my iPad