Subject: [Fot] Waving to ghosts

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 20:26:28 -0600

Those old men and women along the road remember.  They weren't
    waving to us.  They were waving to the ghosts of those who once
    drove our cars absolutely as fast as they knew how to go.

The above is a quote from a Peter Egan article in Road & Track some years ago, when he and Gil Nickel
attended the Mille Miglia in one of the Ferraris I continue to lust over.  Great story, November of
1995, as I recall.  And it was sad to hear that Peter Egan would be setting down his pen, no more to
grace the pages of the magazine with his well appreciated efforts.

I do remember seeing a Ferrari or two at Road America, and one would be hard pressed to not notice
a certain large red truck and trailer, disgorging decidedly non-Italian vehicles.  Well, the lines
of that little red one could have been mistaken for Italian, despite the underpinnings.

But the weekend was about *Triumphs* for us, Triumphs of so many descriptions and varieties and colors
and prep levels - an amazing array.  There were more racing GT6s there than there were Triumphs of any
description at the Utah Kastner Cup.  Triumphs and their people, the people that keep the sporting
heritage alive and well, who continue to drive the cars absolutely as fast as they know how to go.

It was a remarkable weekend, I am so happy to have been blessed with the chance to attend, thanks to
the efforts of folks that know in their hearts what an incredible group of masters and misfits we have
here in the FOT.

mjb.

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Reed, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:24:00 -0500

--===============1857285843==
Content-Language: en
	boundary="_004_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_";
	type="multipart/alternative"

--_004_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_
	boundary="_000_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_"

--_000_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I was talking to Peter during the rain delay. He said the new management ca=
me to RT in California and said the offices are moving and none of you are =
coming. They basically fired everybody but Peter. Than one of the junior ed=
itors told Peter to rewrite an article. Seriously tell Peter Egan to rewrit=
e an article. That was enough for Peter. He said he would give them the thr=
ee articles he was working on and call it quits. They even fired the great =
motorsports photographer Jon Lamm. He did not say unemployed for long. Some=
 say change is good. In this case I do not agree. RIP Road & Track

    John

On 9/11/13 7:23 AM, "SCOTT JANZEN" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Wait, what? Peter Egan is laying down his pen? I've been reading R&T since =
1971, when I was 13.
Without his column I'm not sure I'll continue with R&T.
His column on "lifetime cylinder count" prompted me to buy a used Jag V12 -=
 one of the greatest highway cars I ever had. I've nodded my head in agreem=
ent with what he expresses almost every time, howling with laughter more of=
ten then not.
Guess I'll have to stick with reading "re-runs".

Sent from my mobile device

On Sep 10, 2013, at 10:26 PM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The above is a quote from a Peter Egan article in Road & Track some years=
 ago, when he and Gil Nickel
> attended the Mille Miglia in one of the Ferraris I continue to lust over.=
  Great story, November of
> 1995, as I recall.  And it was sad to hear that Peter Egan would be setti=
ng down his pen, no more to
> I do remember seeing a Ferrari or two at Road America, and one would be h=
ard pressed to not notice
> a certain large red truck and trailer, disgorging decidedly non-Italian v=
ehicles.  Well, the lines
> of that little red one could have been mistaken for Italian, despite the =
underpinnings.
>
> But the weekend was about *Triumphs* for us, Triumphs of so many descript=
ions and varieties and colors
> and prep levels - an amazing array.  There were more racing GT6s there th=
an there were Triumphs of any
> description at the Utah Kastner Cup.  Triumphs and their people, the peop=
le that keep the sporting
> heritage alive and well, who continue to drive the cars absolutely as fas=
t as they know how to go.
>
> It was a remarkable weekend, I am so happy to have been blessed with the =
chance to attend, thanks to
> the efforts of folks that know in their hearts what an incredible group o=
f masters and misfits we have
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/sjanzen@me.=
com

son.com

John Reed
Global Staff Photographer
Creative Services

Wilson Sporting Goods Co.
8750 W. Bryn Mawr Ave, Chicago IL 60631: USA
T: 1 773.714.6895    F: 1 773.714.4585
[email-masked]  http://www.wilson.com  http://www.amersports.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you =
are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) plea=
se notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized =
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is stric=
tly forbidden.

--_000_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Fot] Waving to ghosts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:13pt'>I w=
as talking to Peter during the rain delay. He said the new management came =
to RT in California and said the offices are moving and none of you are com=
ing. They basically fired everybody but Peter. Than one of the junior edito=
rs told Peter to rewrite an article. Seriously tell Peter Egan to rewrite a=
n article. That was enough for Peter. He said he would give them the three =
articles he was working on and call it quits. They even fired the great mot=
orsports photographer Jon Lamm. He did not say unemployed for long. Some sa=
y change is good. In this case I do not agree. RIP Road &amp; Track<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;John<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font=
-size:13pt'><BR>
<BR>
On 9/11/13 7:23 AM, &quot;SCOTT JANZEN&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:13pt'>Wait, what? Peter Egan is laying down his pen? I've been reading=
 R&amp;T since 1971, when I was 13. <BR>
Without his column I'm not sure I'll continue with R&amp;T.<BR>
His column on &quot;lifetime cylinder count&quot; prompted me to buy a used=
 Jag V12 - one of the greatest highway cars I ever had. I've nodded my head=
 in agreement with what he expresses almost every time, howling with laught=
er more often then not.<BR>
Guess I'll have to stick with reading &quot;re-runs&quot;.<BR>
<BR>
Sent from my mobile device<BR>
<BR>
On Sep 10, 2013, at 10:26 PM, Mark J Bradakis &lt;<a href=3D"mark@bradakis.=
com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;Those old men and women along the road remember. &nbsp;The=
y weren't<BR>
&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;waving to us. &nbsp;They were waving to the ghosts of thos=
e who once<BR>
&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;drove our cars absolutely as fast as they knew how to go.<=
BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; The above is a quote from a Peter Egan article in Road &amp; Track som=
e years ago, when he and Gil Nickel<BR>
&gt; attended the Mille Miglia in one of the Ferraris I continue to lust ov=
er. &nbsp;Great story, November of<BR>
&gt; 1995, as I recall. &nbsp;And it was sad to hear that Peter Egan would =
be setting down his pen, no more to<BR>
&gt; grace the pages of the magazine with his well appreciated efforts.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; I do remember seeing a Ferrari or two at Road America, and one would b=
e hard pressed to not notice<BR>
&gt; a certain large red truck and trailer, disgorging decidedly non-Italia=
n vehicles. &nbsp;Well, the lines<BR>
&gt; of that little red one could have been mistaken for Italian, despite t=
he underpinnings.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; But the weekend was about *Triumphs* for us, Triumphs of so many descr=
iptions and varieties and colors<BR>
&gt; and prep levels - an amazing array. &nbsp;There were more racing GT6s =
there than there were Triumphs of any<BR>
&gt; description at the Utah Kastner Cup. &nbsp;Triumphs and their people, =
the people that keep the sporting<BR>
&gt; heritage alive and well, who continue to drive the cars absolutely as =
fast as they know how to go.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; It was a remarkable weekend, I am so happy to have been blessed with t=
he chance to attend, thanks to<BR>
&gt; the efforts of folks that know in their hearts what an incredible grou=
p of masters and misfits we have<BR>
&gt; here in the FOT.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; mjb.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; _______________________________________________<BR>
&gt; <a href=3D"[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.ne=
t/donate.html</a><BR>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/a=
rchive</a><BR>
&gt; Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/for=
ums</a><BR>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/f=
ot/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]=
</a><BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
_______________________________________________<BR>
<a href=3D"[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><BR>
<BR>
<a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><BR>
<BR>
ate.html</a><BR>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archiv=
e</a><BR>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</=
a><BR>
[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/john.reed@wil=
son.com</a><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font=
-size:13pt'><BR>
</SPAN><FONT SIZE=3D"0"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'>John Reed<BR>
Global Staff Photographer<BR>
Creative Services &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000D1"><IMG src=3D"cid:3461739840_31040932" ><BR>
</FONT><BR>
Wilson Sporting Goods Co.<BR>
8750 W. Bryn Mawr Ave, Chicago IL 60631: USA<BR>
T: 1 773.714.6895 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;F: 1 773.714.4585<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:10pt'><U><a href=3D"[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></U>=
</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"0"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'> &nbsp;=
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U><a href=3D"http://www.wilson.com">http://www.wil=
son.com</a></U></FONT> &nbsp;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U><a href=3D"http://w=
ww.amersports.com">http://www.amersports.com</a><BR>
</U></FONT></SPAN></FONT><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:13pt'> <BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT>

<DIV>
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you =
are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) plea=
se notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized =
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is stric=
tly forbidden.<BR>
</DIV></BODY>
</HTML>

--_000_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_--

--_004_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_
Content-Description: image.png
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="image.png"; size=7689;
	creation-date="Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:24:00 GMT";
	modification-date="Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:24:00 GMT"
Content-ID: <3461739840_31040932>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_004_CE55F540DCA3JohnReedwilsoncom_--

--===============1857285843==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1857285843==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:16:13 -0600

Misdirected message.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Waving to ghosts
Date: 	Thu, 12 Sep 2013 22:00:21 -0400
From: 	Robert Johns <[email-masked]>
To: 	

I'll add a few words about my desire to talk to Peter Eagan during the 
event.  Some time back he wrote in one of his R &T articles about his 
experience owning a MG-TC.  I loved that article and wanted to share my 
experience owning a '48 MG-TC. Well it did not work out and I did not 
get the opportunity to meet him.
In the spring of 1954 a friend and fellow member of the Bitburg, 
Germany, Sports Car Club said that there was an MG-TC that he knew about 
that had been left by a officer when he was hastily sent back to the 
states and discharged. He thought that it could be available at a very 
reasonable cost.  Bottom line, the car was sitting behind the Officers 
BOQ, with the top down and full of snow.   So, I acquired my first 
sports car.  If you never have driven a TC, you need to have had that 
experience. I'll go no deeper but wish it had worked to have the 
  opportunity to compare notes with Peter.  I am very sorry to hear that 
he will not longer be writing his article. I was telling Joe Alexander 
that is the reason I still get R & T.
Bob Johns
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:58:58 -0400 (EDT)

--===============1051731575==

--part1_7899.5ca01e73.3f647422_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 09/12/2013 9:21:13 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I am very sorry to hear that he will not longer be writing his article. I 
> was telling Joe Alexander that is the reason I still get R & T.
> 
Peter's monthly article is always the first thing I read in Road and 
Track...and sometimes the only thing I read.  

Bill Dentinger

--part1_7899.5ca01e73.3f647422_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" SIZE=3D3 =
PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dat=
ed 09/12/2013 9:21:13 PM Central Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes:<B=
R>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"=
0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEF=
T: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I am very sorry to hear that =
he will not longer be writing his article. I was telling Joe Alexander that=
 is the reason I still get R &amp; T.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"=
0">Peter's monthly article is always the first thing I read in Road and Tra=
ck...and sometimes the only thing I read.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Bill Dentinger</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BAC=
KGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"A=
rial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_7899.5ca01e73.3f647422_boundary--

--===============1051731575==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1051731575==--