Subject: [Fot] cantilever slicks

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:22:03 -0400

--===============0210730854==

--Apple-Mail=_77B16015-EA3F-46FD-A1EB-072885D6AFCF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

so, I'm planning on breaking out the ex-Schneider-Bond-Wheeler TR4 for a =
couple of runs this fall - debating whether I need new tires.  There's =
plenty of rubber left on the Goodyear Eagles (23x9x15), but as you might =
know, Goodyear doesn't make these anymore and haven't for a few years, =
so I think they are 4-5 years old, minimum (no date codes).
Should I soften them up with Formula V (tire softener), or spring for a =
new set of Hoosiers?  Not going vintage at this point - with the =
suspension setup, the fiberglass flares, etc, I'm going to keep the car =
as it is.

I don't have any experience with tires like this . . . can I milk them =
for a bit longer or have they aged out?=

--Apple-Mail=_77B16015-EA3F-46FD-A1EB-072885D6AFCF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">so, I'm planning on breaking out the ex-Schneider-Bond-Wheeler TR4 for a couple of runs this fall - debating whether I need new tires. &nbsp;There's plenty of rubber left on the Goodyear Eagles (23x9x15), but as you might know, Goodyear doesn't make these anymore and haven't for a few years, so I think they are 4-5 years old, minimum (no date codes).<div>Should I soften them up with Formula V (tire softener), or spring for a new set of Hoosiers? &nbsp;Not going vintage at this point - with the suspension setup, the fiberglass flares, etc, I'm going to keep the car as it is.</div><div><br></div><div>I don't have any experience with tires like this . . . can I milk them for a bit longer or have they aged out?</div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail=_77B16015-EA3F-46FD-A1EB-072885D6AFCF--

--===============0210730854==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0210730854==--

---

From: steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:07:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Call  John Berget Tires  (262) 740-0180
They sell used race tires that have only 1 or 2 races on them.  Cheap.

~Steve

-----Original Message-----
>From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Sep 18, 2013 7:01 AM
>To: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
>Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Fot] cantilever slicks
>
>On Tue, 17 Sep 2013, Scott Janzen wrote:
>
>> so, I'm planning on breaking out the ex-Schneider-Bond-Wheeler TR4 for a 
>> couple of runs this fall - debating whether I need new tires.  There's 
>> plenty of rubber left on the Goodyear Eagles (23x9x15), but as you might 
>> know, Goodyear doesn't make these anymore and haven't for a few years, 
>> so I think they are 4-5 years old, minimum (no date codes). Should I 
>> soften them up with Formula V (tire softener), or spring for a new set 
>> of Hoosiers?  Not going vintage at this point - with the suspension 
>> setup, the fiberglass flares, etc, I'm going to keep the car as it is.
>>
>> I don't have any experience with tires like this . . . can I milk them 
>> for a bit longer or have they aged out?
>
>You can get away with traction compound, but you def. won't get optimal 
>performance from the tires. The other problem is that after you "juice" 
>the tires, you get only a few laps before they start going off. Or at 
>least that's my experience.
>
>If you want tires on a budget, try using some cast-off Hoosier R45 
>compound 23x9.5x15's. The used tires guys usually have some.
>
>regards,
>rml
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
>Former NER Solo Chair                          |
>Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>