Subject: Re: [Bmcu] wire wheel balancing

From: Ron Christensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:16:50 +0000

I always used a simple bubble balancer that allowed centering of the wheel with a spring loaded apparatus.  Always worked perfectly for me, even on the race cars.  Here's one for $57.95!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/281130827743?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gary Lindstrom
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Bmcu] wire wheel balancing

Good news: I've found an adapter kit that is alleged to permit balancing of wire wheels on conventional balancing machines.

Bad news: it is sold in the UK and costs 180 pounds (approx. $270) with value added tax  which presumably would be waived if shipped to the US. 
Also, the web site cites a 4 week wait:

http://www.wirewheelaccessories.co.uk/

I'm wondering if there would be enough interest for the BMCU to buy one and establish a rental program, or even a stalwart cohort of members who'd like to pitch in to buy one to share.  Count me in the latter.

As it happens I'm going to my favorite tire dealer this afternoon and will show it to him to see if he thinks it would work.

Cheers,
     --Gary
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Clayton Merchant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:43:43 -0600

--===============1838535401==

--047d7bd7672069fddd04e1d29e48

Gary, You could count me in as well. I've often thought this type of "club
sharing"  of commonly used items or tools would be a great idea.

Clayton

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Ron Christensen
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> I always used a simple bubble balancer that allowed centering of the wheel
> with a spring loaded apparatus.  Always worked perfectly for me, even on
> the race cars.  Here's one for $57.95!
>
>
> Good news: I've found an adapter kit that is alleged to permit balancing
> of wire wheels on conventional balancing machines.
>
> Bad news: it is sold in the UK and costs 180 pounds (approx. $270) with
> value added tax  which presumably would be waived if shipped to the US.
> I'm wondering if there would be enough interest for the BMCU to buy one
> and establish a rental program, or even a stalwart cohort of members who'd
> like to pitch in to buy one to share.  Count me in the latter.
>
> As it happens I'm going to my favorite tire dealer this afternoon and will
> show it to him to see if he thinks it would work.
>
> Cheers,
>      --Gary
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bmcu/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bmcu/[email-masked]
>

--047d7bd7672069fddd04e1d29e48
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Gary, You could count me in as well. I&#39;ve often t=
hought this type of &quot;club sharing&quot;=A0 of commonly used items or t=
ools would be a great idea.<br><br></div>Clayton<br></div><div class=3D"gma=
il_extra">
<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Ron Chr=
istensen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
 target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><bloc=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex">
I always used a simple bubble balancer that allowed centering of the wheel =
with a spring loaded apparatus. =A0Always worked perfectly for me, even on =
the race cars. =A0Here&#39;s one for $57.95!<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://compare.ebay.com/like/281130827743?_lwgsi=3Dy&amp;ltyp=3D=
AllFixedPriceItemTypes&amp;var=3Dsbar" target=3D"_blank">http://compare.eba=
y.com/like/281130827743?_lwgsi=3Dy&amp;ltyp=3DAllFixedPriceItemTypes&amp;va=
r=3Dsbar</a><br>

<div><div class=3D"h5"><br>
<br>
<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
m.net</a> [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">bmcu-bounc=
[email-masked]</a>] On Behalf Of Gary Lindstrom<br>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:23 AM<br>
To: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
Subject: [Bmcu] wire wheel balancing<br>
<br>
Good news: I&#39;ve found an adapter kit that is alleged to permit balancin=
g of wire wheels on conventional balancing machines.<br>
<br>
Bad news: it is sold in the UK and costs 180 pounds (approx. $270) with val=
ue added tax =A0which presumably would be waived if shipped to the US.<br>
Also, the web site cites a 4 week wait:<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.wirewheelaccessories.co.uk/" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.wirewheelaccessories.co.uk/</a><br>
<br>
I&#39;m wondering if there would be enough interest for the BMCU to buy one=
 and establish a rental program, or even a stalwart cohort of members who&#=
39;d like to pitch in to buy one to share. =A0Count me in the latter.<br>

<br>
As it happens I&#39;m going to my favorite tire dealer this afternoon and w=
ill show it to him to see if he thinks it would work.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0--Gary<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
</div></div>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/bmcu/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.n=
et/mailman/options/bmcu/[email-masked]</a><br>
<div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">___________________________________=
____________<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/bmcu/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>

--047d7bd7672069fddd04e1d29e48--

--===============1838535401==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1838535401==--

---

From: Jonathan Hermance <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:32:44 -0600 (MDT)

Gary,

I have my hub with the back end machined down and a knock-off that has had the inside (undo and arrow) machined out on center. It cost me $20 in machining back when, and the hub needs another 1/2" or so removed to allow use on todays dynamic balancers. I never had a cone made up to fit a tapered hole in the back of the modified hub, but that would make this set up pretty idiot proof. This home built system has worked quite well for me until newer balancing machines got shorter shafts. So I am glad to offer up my system for further development: or to pitch in on the new system you are proposing; or to negotiate with the BMCU Committee to have the club buy it. Either way someone will likely need to keep track of the credit card number of who had it last once we get it.

Jon

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Lindstrom <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 06:23:24 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: [Bmcu] wire wheel balancing

I'm wondering if there would be enough interest for the BMCU to buy one 
and establish a rental program, or even a stalwart cohort of members 
who'd like to pitch in to buy one to share.  Count me in the latter.

As it happens I'm going to my favorite tire dealer this afternoon and 
will show it to him to see if he thinks it would work.

Cheers,

---

From: Robert Foye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:21:37 -0600

--===============2030486850==

--047d7b3a9c2a633b0604e2d3a270

None of my cars have wire wheels but I think Gary's adapter kit idea would
be a good purchase and use of funds for the BMCU assuming it works on US
balancing machines.  I'm anxious to hear what the tire dealer thought.
I agree with Jon that a method of checkout/who had it last would be
necessary along with an official "custodian" of the record.

Then there's the issue of truing...

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Jonathan Hermance
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I have my hub with the back end machined down and a knock-off that has had
> the inside (undo and arrow) machined out on center. It cost me $20 in
> machining back when, and the hub needs another 1/2" or so removed to allow
> use on todays dynamic balancers. I never had a cone made up to fit a
> tapered hole in the back of the modified hub, but that would make this set
> up pretty idiot proof. This home built system has worked quite well for me
> until newer balancing machines got shorter shafts. So I am glad to offer up
> my system for further development: or to pitch in on the new system you are
> proposing; or to negotiate with the BMCU Committee to have the club buy it.
> Either way someone will likely need to keep track of the credit card number
> of who had it last once we get it.
>
> Jon
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bmcu/[email-masked]
>

--047d7b3a9c2a633b0604e2d3a270
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>None of my cars have wire wheels but I=A0think=A0Gary=
&#39;s adapter kit=A0idea=A0would be a good purchase and use of funds for t=
he BMCU assuming it works on US balancing machines.=A0 I&#39;m anxious to h=
ear what the tire dealer thought.</div>
<div>I agree with Jon that a method of checkout/who had it last would be ne=
cessary along with an official &quot;custodian&quot; of the record.</div><d=
iv>=A0</div><div>Then there&#39;s the issue of truing...</div></div><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_extra">
<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Jonath=
an Hermance <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
 target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockqu=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex">
Gary,<br>
<br>
I have my hub with the back end machined down and a knock-off that has had =
the inside (undo and arrow) machined out on center. It cost me $20 in machi=
ning back when, and the hub needs another 1/2&quot; or so removed to allow =
use on todays dynamic balancers. I never had a cone made up to fit a tapere=
d hole in the back of the modified hub, but that would make this set up pre=
tty idiot proof. This home built system has worked quite well for me until =
newer balancing machines got shorter shafts. So I am glad to offer up my sy=
stem for further development: or to pitch in on the new system you are prop=
osing; or to negotiate with the BMCU Committee to have the club buy it. Eit=
her way someone will likely need to keep track of the credit card number of=
 who had it last once we get it.<br>

<br>
Jon<br>
<br>
----- Original Message -----<br>
From: Gary Lindstrom &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
du</a>&gt;<br>
To: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
Sent: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 06:23:24 -0600 (MDT)<br>
Subject: [Bmcu] wire wheel balancing<br>
<br>
Good news: I&#39;ve found an adapter kit that is alleged to permit balancin=
g<br>
of wire wheels on conventional balancing machines.<br>
<br>
Bad news: it is sold in the UK and costs 180 pounds (approx. $270) with<br>
value added tax =A0which presumably would be waived if shipped to the US.<b=
r>
Also, the web site cites a 4 week wait:<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.wirewheelaccessories.co.uk/" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.wirewheelaccessories.co.uk/</a><br>
<br>
I&#39;m wondering if there would be enough interest for the BMCU to buy one=
<br>
and establish a rental program, or even a stalwart cohort of members<br>
who&#39;d like to pitch in to buy one to share. =A0Count me in the latter.<=
br>
<br>
As it happens I&#39;m going to my favorite tire dealer this afternoon and<b=
r>
will show it to him to see if he thinks it would work.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/=
bmcu/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

--047d7b3a9c2a633b0604e2d3a270--

--===============2030486850==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2030486850==--