Subject: [Bmcu] Buy a spitfire?

From: Andrew Lundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:59:14 -0600

As I continue my search for a second LBC, I have noticed that there are 
several spitfires around.

I don't know much about those other than someone tried to give me a 
shell once...  What are things to make you walk away from one when 
considering buying one?  Rust, any locations it hides in on these cars?

Thanks!
--
Andrew
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:34:59 -0600

The worst spots for rust in those cars are the sills under the doors.  
They have a very narrow
frame and the sills are crucial to structural integrity.

A lot of them have the right side sway bar mounting ripped out.  Not 
really a big deal.

The later Mark 4 1296 engines and the 1500 have thrust washer issues, as 
well
as marginal oil flow to the #2 and #3 rod bearings.  Gee, has that 
cropped up
recently?

You'll often see cars that do not sit level - could be the rear 
transverse spring,
could be the front coils.

Just some comments off the top of my head.

mjb.