Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Fw: Penetrating Oils]

From: "Kurt Draper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:12:56 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0722385456==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_02BC_01CDDC25.F04A8A50"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_02BC_01CDDC25.F04A8A50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Very cool information.  Thanks  Floyd

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Floyd Inman
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:08 AM
To: BMCU, Team
Subject: [Bmcu] Fw: Penetrating Oils]

 

Subject:  Penetrating Oils

 Interesting!  Even if you're not mechanically inclined, this might be worth

noting.

This story came to me from one of the guy's in the EAA club  Interesting !!

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating
oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out
"torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular
penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque  required to
remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted"  bolt.
Average torque load to loosen nut:
No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds

The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any
commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with
equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as
Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a
50/50 mix.  ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid
                        This version of the story was in one
                   of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters:

 

------=_NextPart_000_02BC_01CDDC25.F04A8A50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	color:black;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:black'>Very cool information.&nbsp; Thanks&nbsp; =
Floyd<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On =
Behalf Of </b>Floyd Inman<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:08 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> BMCU, Team<br><b>Subject:</b> [Bmcu] Fw: Penetrating =
Oils]<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#00002=
0'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:black'>=
&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:black'><br>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></span></p></div></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>Subject:&nbsp; =
Penetrating Oils<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><div =
id=3D"AOLMsgPart_1_13e8b551-36af-47c1-8867-e8b08ae64c34"><div><div><div><=
div><div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>&nbsp;Interesting!=
&nbsp; Even if you're not mechanically inclined, this might be =
worth<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:black'>noting.<br><br>Th=
is story came to me from one of the guy's in the EAA club&nbsp; =
Interesting !!<br><br>&quot;Machinist's Workshop&quot; recently =
published information on various penetrating<br>oils. The magazine =
reports they tested these products for &quot;break =
out<br>&quot;torque&quot; on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test =
was made of popular<br>penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being =
the torque&nbsp; required to<br>remove the nut from a =
&quot;scientifically rusted&quot;&nbsp; bolt.<br>Average torque load to =
loosen nut:<br>No Oil used ........................516 foot =
pounds<br>WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds<br>PB =
Blaster .........................214 foot pounds<br>Liquid Wrench =
......................127 foot pounds<br>Kano Kroil =
.........................106 foot pounds<br>ATF/Acetone =
mix...................... 53 foot pounds<br><br>The ATF/Acetone mix is a =
&quot;home brew&quot; mix of 50/50 automatic transmission<br>fluid and =
acetone. Note this &quot;home brew&quot; released bolts better than =
any<br>commercial product in this one particular test.<br>Our local =
machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with<br>equally =
good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as<br>Kroil =
for 20% of the price.<br>ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use =
ATF and lacquer thinner in a<br>50/50 mix.&nbsp; ATF =3D Any type of =
Automatic Transmission =
Fluid<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
; This version of the story was in =
one<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; of the Military Vehicle Club =
newsletters:<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></div></div></div></d=
iv></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>&=
nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in'><div><div><div><div><div><div><=
p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
<br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>&=
nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></div></div></blockquote></d=
iv><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'><=
br><br clear=3Dall><o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'><=
br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></=
div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_02BC_01CDDC25.F04A8A50--

--===============0722385456==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0722385456==--

---

From: Ron Christensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:27:48 +0000

--===============1795382964==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_E87E098B5D7B7D42B3F1C9D762F654CE45A78053CH1PRD0610MB356_"

--_000_E87E098B5D7B7D42B3F1C9D762F654CE45A78053CH1PRD0610MB356_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Not included are the torque specs for British car nuts and bolts including =
that point at which the head strips or the bolt breaks resulting in the ine=
vitable knuckle injury, at which point an application of 50% betadine, 30% =
alcohol and 20% hydrogen peroxide seems to work well.

Subject:  Penetrating Oils
 Interesting!  Even if you're not mechanically inclined, this might be wort=
h
noting.

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetratin=
g

50/50 mix.  ATF =3D Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid

--_000_E87E098B5D7B7D42B3F1C9D762F654CE45A78053CH1PRD0610MB356_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	color:black;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b><span style=3D"font-size:18.0pt;font-family:&quot=
;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Not included are the to=
rque specs for British car nuts and bolts including that point at which the=
 head strips or the bolt breaks resulting in the inevitable
 knuckle injury, at which point an application of 50% betadine, 30% alcohol=
 and 20% hydrogen peroxide seems to work well.
</span></b><span style=3D"font-size:18.0pt"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:14.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ca=
libri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#000020">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span><=
/p>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ta=
homa&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot=
;sans-serif&quot;;color:black"><br>
&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-bottom:12.0pt"><span style=3D"font-f=
amily:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">Subject:&nbsp; =
Penetrating Oils<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_1_13e8b551-36af-47c1-8867-e8b08ae64c34">
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;s=
ans-serif&quot;;color:black">&nbsp;Interesting!&nbsp; Even if you're not me=
chanically inclined, this might be worth<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;=
sans-serif&quot;;color:black">noting.<br>
<br>
This story came to me from one of the guy's in the EAA club&nbsp; Interesti=
ng !!<br>
<br>
&quot;Machinist's Workshop&quot; recently published information on various =
penetrating<br>
oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for &quot;break out<b=
r>
&quot;torque&quot; on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of =
popular<br>
penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque&nbsp; required to=
<br>
remove the nut from a &quot;scientifically rusted&quot;&nbsp; bolt.<br>
Average torque load to loosen nut:<br>
No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds<br>
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds<br>
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds<br>
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds<br>
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds<br>
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds<br>
<br>
The ATF/Acetone mix is a &quot;home brew&quot; mix of 50/50 automatic trans=
mission<br>
fluid and acetone. Note this &quot;home brew&quot; released bolts better th=
an any<br>
commercial product in this one particular test.<br>
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with<br>
equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as<br>
Kroil for 20% of the price.<br>
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a<=
br>
50/50 mix.&nbsp; ATF =3D Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This versio=
n of the story was in one<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters:=
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ar=
ial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<blockquote style=3D"border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0i=
n 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-=
bottom:5.0pt">
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-bottom:12.0pt"><span style=3D"font-f=
amily:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ar=
ial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ar=
ial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black"><br>
<br clear=3D"all">
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-bottom:12.0pt"><span style=3D"font-s=
ize:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black=
"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_E87E098B5D7B7D42B3F1C9D762F654CE45A78053CH1PRD0610MB356_--

--===============1795382964==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1795382964==--