Subject: [Alpines] Alpine pistons

From: D W Spearing via Alpines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:27:47 GMT

Hi,A few years back, about five, I rebuilt my Sunbeam Alpine 1725cc engine. I
had to bore it out to .040 over and I used some pistons purchased from
Victoria British. They did not look like any other pistons that I have ever
seen, and I have see quite a few, as they had a slot down the camshaft side
rather then the usual four holes up near the oil ring groove. I expected a bit
of oil use after the overhaul, but it kept getting worse and worse, not
better, to the point that I was laying down a blue cloud as I drove; it sure
kept people from following to close! Last fall I pulled the engine apart and
discovered that all of the pistons had broken skirts and the oil rings did not
appear to expand as I had expected (photo at :http://www.madbrits.org/DS.gif)!
Further the oil pressure pegged and ruined the pressure gauge! So the
questions are: Where do I find better quality .040 pistons? and does anyone
have a working oil pressure relief valve which will fit a 1725 cc Alpine
engine (I have not checked it out yet, perhaps a cleaning is all I need)?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
73 de Dave KB9CSW
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
David Wm Spearing
 [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
____________________________________________________________
Old School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54dcf0d37126770d35454st02vuc

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: awtiger--- via Alpines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:18:38 -0500

Dave:

I can't comment much about the pistons.  However, you might do a thread search on the SAOCA site for "oil pressure relief valve."  A number of us have been down that road and there are some fixes that can be performed to make those valves work like they should.  

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/

Paste the link above into your browser and go to the "forum" page.  From there you can do a search for what you need to find.  

Best of luck,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK

---- D W Spearing via Alpines <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/alpines/[email-masked]

---

From: PApple16--- via Alpines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:22:19 -0500

years ago, I used custom made "johns racing pistons"  can;t remember  where 
I got them, but they were not to outrageous at the time. I did get a  
little out of hand, and went with 11 to 1 compression ratio with large relieves  
in the pistons for valve clearance. Wow what a difference in the performance 
 well worth the effort, an Alpine that WILL get out of its own way
 
I might of gotten them from tiger tom down south, I will look around to see 
 if I can figure out where I got them
 
Paul Appleton in RI
1966 alpine

In a message dated 2/12/2015 2:47:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hi,A few  years back, about five, I rebuilt my Sunbeam Alpine 1725cc 
engine. I
had to  bore it out to .040 over and I used some pistons purchased from
Victoria  British. They did not look like any other pistons that I have ever
seen,  and I have see quite a few, as they had a slot down the camshaft  
side
rather then the usual four holes up near the oil ring groove. I  expected a 
bit
of oil use after the overhaul, but it kept getting worse and  worse, not
better, to the point that I was laying down a blue cloud as I  drove; it 
sure
kept people from following to close! Last fall I pulled the  engine apart 
and
discovered that all of the pistons had broken skirts and  the oil rings did 
not
appear to expand as I had expected (photo at  
:http://www.madbrits.org/DS.gif)!
Further the oil pressure pegged and  ruined the pressure gauge! So the
questions are: Where do I find better  quality .040 pistons? and does anyone
have a working oil pressure relief  valve which will fit a 1725 cc Alpine
engine (I have not checked it out  yet, perhaps a cleaning is all I need)?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
73 de Dave  KB9CSW
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
David Wm  Spearing
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
____________________________________________________________
Old  School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School  & Year. Look  Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54dcf0d37126770d35454st02vuc

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/alpines/[email-masked]