Subject: Re: [6pack] Pilot Bushing - A Confession-I Was Wrong

From: rmf3860 rmf3860 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 15:33:54 -0400

--===============0684093870284722323==

--000000000000089dda05cfab2570

In the interest of clarification,and with the utmost humility, I was wrong
about the LUK Clutch kit not having the correct size pilot bushing, or
spigot bush as the Brits refer to it.

As Bob Lang correctly pointed out, the bushing is inserted into the rear of
the flywheel, not the rear of the crank.The bushing that came with the LUK
kit fits perfectly into the back of my Fidanza flywheel. My ignorance comes
from having worked on American cars (a '68 Camaro and others) and
experiencing the joy of removing a pilot bearing stuck in the rear of the
crank. Thus, I assumed the pilot bushing on the TR6 needed to be inserted
in the rear of the crank as well, but as most of you know, that opening is
considerably smaller than the diameter of the stock bushing. This mistake
took me down the rabbit hole of wrong assumptions and led me to order a
bushing for a Triumph Spitfire/GT6 and other models because those bushings
would fit into the rear of my TR6 crank. Despite all rational logic and
reasoning, I was convinced that I was right and just happened to have an
oddball TR6. All I had to do was look at page 111 in Bentley'smanual.

It's amazing how one can be so certain and yet so wrong.

My ignorance notwithstanding, thank you all who replied - especially Bob
Lang and Dick Taylor - for taking the time to help another TR6 guy.

I owe you all.

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, VA

--000000000000089dda05cfab2570
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>In the interest of clarification,and with the utmost =
humility, I was wrong about the LUK Clutch kit not having the correct size =
pilot bushing, or spigot bush as the Brits refer to it.</div><div><br></div=
><div>As Bob Lang correctly pointed out, the bushing is inserted into the r=
ear of the flywheel, not the rear of the crank.The bushing that came with t=
he LUK kit fits perfectly into the back of my Fidanza flywheel. My ignoranc=
e comes from having worked on American cars (a &#39;68 Camaro and others) a=
nd experiencing the joy of removing a pilot bearing stuck in the rear of th=
e crank. Thus, I assumed the pilot bushing on the TR6 needed to be inserted=
 in the rear of the crank as well, but as most of you know, that opening is=
 considerably smaller than the diameter of the stock bushing. This mistake =
took me down the rabbit hole of wrong assumptions and led me to order a bus=
hing for a Triumph Spitfire/GT6 and other models because those bushings wou=
ld fit into the rear of my TR6 crank. Despite all rational logic and reason=
ing, I was convinced that I was right and just happened to have an oddball =
TR6. All I had to do was look at page 111 in Bentley&#39;smanual.</div><div=
><br></div><div> It&#39;s amazing how one can be so certain and yet so wron=
g.</div><div><br></div><div>My ignorance notwithstanding, thank you all who=
 replied - especially Bob Lang and Dick Taylor - for taking the time to hel=
p another TR6 guy.</div><div><br></div><div>I owe you all.<br></div><div><b=
r></div><div>Bob Fabie</div><div>Fredericksburg, VA<br></div></div>

--000000000000089dda05cfab2570--

--===============0684093870284722323==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============0684093870284722323==--