Re: seat belts - SCCA

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seat belts - SCCA
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:42:11 -0700
I guess there's a problem here that exceeds my "Vintage" ability to
comprehend. Don't misunderstand; I am a staunch proponent of safety, both on
and off the track. However, two thoughts come to mind: (1) there is such a
thing as overkill and (2) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Is there a sudden rash of crashes where seat belt/restraint systems have
failed? Is there even one crash where the restraint system has failed? Is the
"cure" worse than the "cause"?

I read the changes on the SCCA web in the GCR. What really blew me
away......... was not the required changes, but when you get down toward the
end, it specifies a minimum of GRADE 5 bolts to hold the belts in! Why would
you go to all the expense and/or cockpit modifying to change form a 5 point to
a six or seven point harness system, then secure it with grade 5 bolts!?!?
"DANG Cletis..... after takin' all that time to steal these belts from the
NAPA, ya's better git a couple extre' windin's on dem  belt ends wid da
bailin' wire!" Come on SCCA.... Grade 8, 10, or 'AN'.....

Maybe what we REALLY need are frontal and side impact air bags!!
        Carl
            Lotus 61

  In a message dated 06/08/2004 10:18:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,