Re: Coolant and corrosion inhibitors?

To: vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coolant and corrosion inhibitors?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:30:39 EDT
In a message dated 27/07/2004 3:03:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
JWoesvra@aol.com writes:

I have  made a notation in my tech log such that Mr. Spohn can expect "extra
attention" should he ever decide to come to an SVRA  event.

I saw that one coming, Joe. ;-)

I always figured that if they made the bikes stop pouring oil on the track
I'd run straight water!

I can only remember one time where someone blew a hose and dumped coolant,
and yes, it was certainly more slippery than straight water, but on the other
hand, the guys that lost and engine and sprayed water all over usually did it
right on the line, and I can tell you that the oil from those damned bikes
made  a real nice slippery slick as well, so I'm not sure there was much to
choose  between them.

Note to self - if attending race where Jack is doing tech, be sure to  arrive
with engine really hot so you can't remove the cap and a freshly filled
(plain water, natch) catch tank.....

Actually, the boiling point elevation isn't a big deal for me as my car
cools quite well, but for those with marginal cooling, the extra BP elevation
can
be critical. I am more concerned with the metals in the engine eating each
other - I understand that water wetter etc. do offer some anti-corrosion
attributes.

Bill