RE: trailer leveling

To: "'John P'" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: trailer leveling
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:49:51 -0600
> Having researched air shocks (Monroe and
> Gabriel), the common opinion is they are not recommended.
> Many opined they wear out quickly and are somewhere between
> junk and outright dangerous.  I rather doubt that....

You must be talking to the folks that sell the 'full air spring'.  I've
used the Monroe air shocks on my Dodge B250 for years.  They still work
like they did when new.  They may not be better than, or even equal to,
the 'full air spring', but they certainly do what they are supposed to.
I have no idea what my tongue weight is but it is a 'bunch'.  When
connected to my trailer if I fill up the shocks the rear of the car
returns to 'almost' its normal ride height.  By the way the Dodge has
been pulling a trailer of some sort since we bought it.  It now has
250,000 miles on it and at least 1/3 of those were towing.

Larry Hoy