Ring Gear Change

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Ring Gear Change
From: Rich and Liz Stadther <stadther@pclink.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:32:25 -0500
Listers,

Please advise how to best change a ring gear on a light flywheel. The
flywheel is the light one from JAE for a non-crossflow 1500 Ford. I have
heard that you have to heat the ring in oil, that you can put the flywheel
in the freezer, and that you can put the flywheel in a household oven. The
easy way for me would be to put the flywheel in the freezer. Will that
shrink enough to take a new Ford ring gear? Next best would be to put the
ring in the kitchen oven. Any chance it would get too hot?
Also what problems might come up in breaking the old one off?

Thanks.

Rich Stadther