RE: Trailer Questions

To: <MHKitchen@aol.com>, <CSRGinfo@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: Trailer Questions
From: "Rick Yocum" <rickyocum@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:40:55 -0700
Felix,

A number of years ago I made the switch to an enclosed trailer.  Aside from
the obvious (you will now have to "exactly" align the hitch with the tongue,
because attempted manual adjustments will result in multiple hernias), you
WILL now know a trailer is behind you.  Figure on load-leveling bars and I
absolutely recommend a sway bar.  The latter takes the error out of minor
tongue-weight guesses.

My experience with a 350 Suburban is that, aside from very long climbs, your
truck will do fine.  As to how you load, put the heavy "stuff" directly
behind you cab, secured, of course.  You can use other items to create
ballast to reduce tongue weight.  I carry about 6500 lbs. with no problem,
and the 'burb has a carbed engine that's obviously down on horses, compared
to your Ford.

Let me add one other experience.  A few weeks ago I was pulling another Nova
I have to a car show in the same trailer.  Granted, no extra racing parts or
wheels/tires, but I pulled a diesel Dodge from my son's lot, and I forgot
the trailer was even there.

Assuming your annual mileage isn't in the 50k range, keep an eye open for a
Dodge or Ford diesel (just don't have experience with a GM)2500 pickup with
50-70k miles and scarf it up.  It'll go to 200k without a problem, given
proper maintenance, and will open a whole new world for you.  Tons of
pulling power and relatively decent mileage.

Plus, with an enclosed trailer you can host parties for fellow competitors
when it rains!

Rick Yocum
66 Nova TransAm