Re: Modern Trans Am racing

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Modern Trans Am racing
From: "John P" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:23:13 -0400
"Panzo" is Don Panoz.  Sometime in 2000 SCCA quietly sold the operation
rights of the Trans-Am series to Don Panoz and Florida businessman Ralph
Sanchez.  Since then, Mr Panoz has entered his Esperante cars and acquired a
few partners.  See http://alms.americanlemans.com/News/News.asp?ID=203 for
more information.

Word from the paddock is other T/A competitors are a tad chapped as the
Esperante has better areodynamics than the Jags and Vettes.  But....Mr.
Panoz refuses to make the Esperante body available to anyone else.  I
suppose if I had an unfair advantage, I would not be very willing to let it
go either.  And since, on the surface at least, its his series and his
rules, its to bad so sad for everyone else.

Hopefully the new ownership will increase the level of awareness of
sportscar racing in America, which would be a great thing for everyone.