Re: CART race yesterday

To: JHarkness@aol.com
Subject: Re: CART race yesterday
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:37:52 -0500
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:26:36 EDT JHarkness@aol.com writes:
> Brian, I totally agree with your assessment.  On top of that, I was
> astounded to hear representatives from Toyota and Honda both say
> they didn't trust CART, and that CART had no respect for their
> partners!  Incredible.  And then Tracy topped it off by bad-mouthing
> the officiating.  Looks like total melt-down to me.   John

I didn't see the race in question, but I was a volunteer worker (not a
corner worker) for the CART Houston Grand Prix a couple of weeks ago.

I know some of the certified corner workers in the area will have nothing
to do with CART because of the way they are treated by them.  Supposedly
the Grand Prix was only able to muster the bare minimum of corner workers
for this reason.  I personally witnessed only one small incident of CART
arrogance, but many of the volunteer workers that have worked previous
races tell me CART has a  terrible reputation amongst the volunteers,
too.

I think there may be some dissent amongst the drivers, too.  The Fort
Worth incident seems to be an example.  Also, I was helping Helio
Castroneves into the back of a pickup truck for a pre-race parade when
one of the other drivers told him what a great speech he made at the
drivers' meeting the day before.  I don't know what the speech was, but
the other driver implied that some things were said that needed to be
said.  Draw your own conclusions...

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD