"the Nixons'

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: "the Nixons'
From: lwdent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:13:02 -0500
Hey folks, here is a copy of my latest "Dumpster" article for the 4
Wheel Drift.  Heck of an idea.

I will help with a display of trophies, etc which would really make a
nice memory bank.  Larry Dent

DUMPSTER DIVING, with Dent

Just received a most interesting E Mail from my long time friend Lloyd
Loring up South Bend way.  It was titled Do you have the power? It was
actually a copy of a letter Lloyd sent to John Bishop, former owner and
founder of IMSA, the now long gone sanctioning body that did great
things in its prime.

Lloyd wanted to enlist John in a move to name the timing and scoring
building at Road America the Don and Ruth Nixon Memorial T/S building,
or words to that effect.  John replied that he thought it a great idea
and would suggest it to Carl Haas, who has a great deal of influence in
Chicago Region.

Many of you might not know the influence on our sport that was exerted
in the 60s and 70s by the Nixons.  They were the ICONS of T and S and
established policies and procedures in T/S that are still the standards
of performance 40 years later.  When anyone said the words Timing and
Scoring, the word Nixons had to be close at hand.  They were the best,
period, and they ran all the events at Road America for 20 or more years.

They also ran the famous LeMans scoring team of which I was a part in
1967 when Ford won the 24 hours for the last time as a factory effort.
I could go on for hours about their skill and how lucky I was to be a
part of their team for several years.

But the point is that Lloyd is right in his desire to name the new
facilities after the Nixons.  I personally dont have the power but I do
know some people at R.A. , even after all these years, and I intend to
press the point home.

I even have batches of Don and Ruths trophies I would donate for a
display there in the building.  Ruth had me haul away a FULL car load of
stuff when she sold the house and was faced with putting them in a dumpster.

Lloyd says that at 85 she is still sharp and would appreciate the honor.
Makes sense to do it while she still can enjoy the honor. If you know
any one at RCA. Chime in on the program.

Perhaps together as members of SCCA and/or vintage racing, we all will
HAVE THE POWER.