Re: Your words

To: Allardun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Your words
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:48:12 EST
In a message dated 01/14/2001 9:45:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, Allardun

<< Subj:    Your words
 Date:  01/14/2001 9:45:46 PM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  Allardun
 To:    JWoesvra

 Jack
       In your 1/9/01 e-mail to Lee Raskin, you referred to slower? cars as
slugs. To me that is almost as bad as your comment not long ago on the
message board about not liking pre-war cars with roll bars. Please try to
consider the feelings of other readers that have slower cars or who have
rollbars in their pre-war cars in regard to comments that you make public.
Without slower cars the SVRA fields would not be as complete as they are. The
use of a rollbar in a pre-war car should be up to the owner to add if he
desires to do so (or in my case if an understanding wife requests it). I hope
your comments do NOT represent the views of SVRA management! After all, you
do represent that organization.
          Pete McManus
         (& the slow Ardent Alligator with a roll bar) >>

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry if you have taken my words as inappropriate or derogatory. In the
case of Lee, I'm sure he knows that my referring to cars slower than the
Arnolt Bristol as slugs, is really a term of endearment.  As one who has
raced more than his fair allotment of "slugs", I can assure you that it is a
love-hate affair. I have been told that my sense of humor (or lack of tact)
is at best, of the "weird" or "dry" variety.

As far as the roll bar comment, I believe I said something like " roll bars
look stupid in pre-war cars". I will stand by that statement, but can see
that to be politically correct, perhaps "stupid" should be changed to "out of
place".

>From a visual standpoint, I think ANY non-period device or paint job on a
vintage car LOOKS "stupid".

That doesn't mean we should not use, allow, or require them, when appropriate.

As you know, we welcome pre-war cars and do not require roll bars or fuel
cells in them. However, they rarely attend our events for a number of
reasons, and I'm sure we can share the blame for that. Peter, my views are my
own. I tell it like I see it and I believe that our racers want it like that.

BTW, I never considered the Alligator to be a slug nor do I think it "looks
stupid with a roll bar". I hope you won't take me off your Christmas card
list over this.

Jack Woehrle