Know your opposition (Summit Point Hearing)

To: <DCCALD@aol.com>
Subject: Know your opposition (Summit Point Hearing)
From: "Gregory Nagy" <gnagy@intrepid.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:11:11 -0500
     In order to find out a bit more about the people who are proposing the
restrictions to Summit Point Raceway, I picked up the most recent issue of
the "Spirit of Jefferson" and found the following two letters to the editor,
which I scanned in  and are included.. Formatting is a bit off because of
the ocr software, but most spelling errors are corrected.

     Perhaps through reading what these two have written, we can come up
with some proper and reasonable responses to their complaints. Of course the
nasty part of me wishes we could just tell them that Bill is gonna sell out
to one of those same mega-developers from fairfax co. which these folks have
fled, but I won't. =)

--
Gregory Nagy

SUMMIT POINT AND ITS RACEWAY DILEMMA
The Summit Point area is much like any other rural community in Jefferson
County except for one thing -
we have a big problem that seems to grow bigger and bigger every year - the
Summit Point Raceway.
Now we hear of plans for yet another track to be added to the two already
existing tracks and a proposal
for changing the "agricultural" zoning of this property to
"industrial/commercial". Presently, "agricultural"
zoning allows for approximately 35 percent of the land to be used in a
non-conforming manner such as for
a raceway. "Industrial/commercial" zoning would allow for nearly 100 percent
usage. Naturally, this would
allow for even greater expansion in the future, more traffic, louder noise
levels, and a considerably
increased raceway schedule. It is not comforting to read the Raceway's
web-site which boasts seven
consecutive years of growth, each one with more car and motorcycle racers.

Having lived in Summit Point for nearly 24 years, I have seen the Raceway
grow from random events
scattered throughout the summer to a seven day a week operation lasting from
April lst through the
early part of December. I know the frustration of having to keep our windows
closed at home during the
summer and shut tightly at church on Sunday morning in order to hear the
pastor. I know the frustration
of having to move a backyard barbecue indoors in order not have our
conversations drowned out, and I
know the frustration being run off our narrow country roads by a truck
pulling two race cars. A towing
charge and an auto body repair bill are all I have to remind me of this
out-of-state weekend visitor to our
community.

The people of Summit Point area have been good neighbors the Raceway for a
long time, and would hope
that this good neigborliness would be respected. Unfortunately, the rights
that most people reading this
column take for granted - the right to a reasonable level of peace and
quiet, as well as the right to safety
on local streets and roadways - have been disregarded by those who have
little respect for our community
and the people who live here.

Fortunately, there is good news and that is, something can be done about
this. The Planning Commission
can vote to curb Raceway expansion by retaining the Raceway's present
"agricultural" zoning status and
by reasonable hours of operations that are compatible with the rural
community surrounding Summit Point.
It is time that the rights of local residents are taken into consideration
rather than the interests of outsiders
who are more than happy use us as long as we allow them.

Respectfully submitted
William A. Culley
Summit Point

OUTRAGED
I am writing from Summit Point, Jefferson County. A nice, peaceful
community,
 where ... the horses roam (to paraphrase an old song of the West). I am
writing
to you to express the sense of outrage that I am feeling, having recently
teamed
about the planned expan- sion of the car racetrack.
Like many other families living in this community, I moved to Summit Point
from
Fairfax County, where developments grow quicker than mildew on stale bread,
traffic density has reached national record levels, and where everybody
looks
stressed. Here, I found a quieter rhythm of life, friendly people, clean and
stimu- lating air, peaceful country roads, naturally grown vegetables and
fruits. In
summary, I found what is most missing in our urban environ- ments: a good
quality
of life
The racetrack already exists since a long time, and already it creates
nuisance
and discomfort to the community (the only black spot in the picture I
painted above
on the area). On weekends, and in summer often also during the week, the
roaring
sounds of racing cars (and, particularly, motorcycles) provide a very
disturbing
background to nature's delicate sounds (not to talk about the dis- comfort
for the
people living around the track). Drivers of pick- ups taking their racing
cars to the
track, and the many visitors (again, particularly if driving mo- torcycles)
all seem to
have grown up in an area where primary schools did not exist in the past. In
fact,
they cannot read the 30-miles/ hour speed limit signs at the entrance of the
village.
The expansion plan submitted by the race track owner to the authorities for
approval envisages
an expansion of the track, the construction of an hotel and restaurant, the
expansion of the parking
area, and other related ... amenities. If I am not mistaken, the plan does
not even mention
any measure to protect the human and natural environment. So, if the plan is
accepted as is, the
roaring sounds will reach unhealthy decibel levels, a manifold increase in
traffic will create a
permanent danger for the children of the community, and our clean air will
be polluted. An additional
non negligible consequence will be the increase in trash thrown out
indiscriminately from visiting
cars, which will severely pollute our well-kept front yards and gardens.
What an unhealthy future
for all of us. What for? Very few, if any, local jobs will be created.
Summit Point is still offering something that is very precious these days
(despite discomforts created
by the track): a good quality of life. This is the most valuable asset that
we have, that any community
might have in fact, and we are determined to preserve it, and improve it if
possible, so that our children
will be able to enjoy it. I say NO to the planned expansion of the track!
Yours truly,
Yves TencalIa
Summit Point