Re: DBCOM transponders

To: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DBCOM transponders
From: "Robert Alder" <alder_rj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:46:17 -0700
Vaughn,
As a generality (All generalizations are false, including this one!). West
coast clubs have adopted  AMB transponder systems and East Coast clubs are
using DbCom.  Both are good systems with pros and cons for each.
Unfortunately, racers, such as yourself, who race all over the damn place
will just have to be resigned to buying one of each unit -- AMB and DbCom.
They aren't interchangeable.  You must use the one matching the particular
club's timing system.

>From the racers perspective, I prefer the AMB.  Once it's mounted, your
done.  Hard wired into the battery, it's a transponder that is picked up by
an under-track antenna at start/finish.  The DbCom unit is a transmitter
that must be pointed at the receiving antenna at trackside.  So, one track
my have it on the left, another on the right.  You have to adjust.  Also,
DbCom can't easily "see" or "read"  two cars crossing at once (Moral:  run
the line at start/finish nearest the antenna side of the track!).  With AMB
it can capture several cars at once since the antenna goes clear across the
track (and often the hot pit too to catch that lap).

Hope this helps.