RE: Spridget 1275 crankshaft

To: "'Brian Evans'" <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: RE: Spridget 1275 crankshaft
From: Jim Runciman <Jim.Runciman@donhad.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:40:01 +0800
Brian
Its not possible to calculate this with any accuracy because of the damping
which is inherent in the system however it is possible to determine exactly
where the torsional natural frequency is by instrumentation and analysis.
There are vibration consultancies who could do this but I'd suggest that an
approach to the engineering faculty of a university may do the job. This is
not difficult but it does involve some instrumentation on the nose of the
crankshaft and is done with the engine running.
If you elect to try this route it is a good idea to have a couple of
alternate dampers (one of which should be an elastomeric type) available to
test so that you have an idea which way they are moving the torsional
natural frequency.

Jim Runciman
Jim.Runciman@donhad.com.au
Phone:08 9279 7611