Fwd: New tow vehicle help

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: New tow vehicle help
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:51:25 EST
--part1_6b.18206ea.25d3658d_boundary

From: DGreimel@aol.com
Full-name: DGreimel
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:45:38 EST
Subject: Re: New tow vehicle help
To: brian@uunet.ca

OK Brian.  Your gonna get a lot of feed back on this one.  Opinions are lot
like assholes,  everyone has one.  That said, I`m gonna give you mine.  Let
me preface by saying that I am a `62 yr old car crazy automotive
teacher(retired) and have towed a lot of junk with a lot of junk.  Another
opinion was for the Tahoe and they are nice enough but not really powerful
and they wander a bit at speed.  Actually they wander quite a bit at speed
even without a trailer.
I used Dodge and Chevy Vans, full size 3/4 ton, for 20 years and they
certainly have their virtues in interior space and conveneience.  I like
them, BUT aside from the Fords, they do not have separate frames and they
seem to be working very hard to pull my 24' Pace Shadow with car inside.  I
now have an `86 Silverado, 3/4 ton camper special, loaded, 454 engine, 400
turbohydramatic, 3:73 gears, 8600 lb GVW and it is the best damn tow vehicle
I have ever owned.  Note that this is the same as the one ton Suburban except
for the body shell.  This thing tows my trailer at any speed I can live with,
even beyond the 85MPH speedo, with absolute  ease.  There in no difference
between 65 and 85 mph. except at the gas pump.  The brakes are excellent,
though it does have the big ones, and it has yet to notice the hills in West
VA.  Oh yea,  it gets 7.5mpg at legal speeds.  Luckily it carries 40 gal.
Sure is nice to have power!
Cheers
Don
`66 Morgan 4/4 comp.