Re: VDCA membership info?

To: "Eric Swanger" <ericsmgs@prodigy.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VDCA membership info?
From: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:04:00 -0500
Eric,
    The first Newsletter from VDCA arrived at the shop today, complimentary,
along with the entry form for Kershaw.  The newsletter is very nice with
color photos on glossy paper, and is easily worth the cost of membership.
It was a good read and I read it from cover to cover, and enjoyed every bit
of it.  If you didn't get a newsletter, I suggest you call David Whiteside
at 205-320-0545 or Alex Quattlebaum at 843-856-0799 or email them at
amqjr@aol.com or vdca2000@aol.com, which are the contacts listed in the
newsletter.  The entry fee for Kershaw is $250 if you are a member, which
seems reasonable.  It costs $50 to join VDCA for a year, which also seems
reasonable.

      I'm going to have to watch the VDCA action from the sidelines however.
The 1967 cutoff excludes my main interest, i.e Formula Cars from 1968-1972,
and the 1974 cutoff on sportsracers on slicks excludes my 1978 Lola T492.  I
always though of myself as a car guy rather than a racer, and always prepare
the cars to original specs.  However, it seems I'm just the type of guy the
group wants to eliminate so what's left has more track time.

      I've heard a lot of grousing about track time on the list (not from
you), and nobody has stood up to represent the silent majority, so I will.
I like the amount of track time we have now.  I like a practice Friday
morning, a practice Friday afternoon, practice Saturday morning, qualifying
Saturday afternoon, optional warm-up on Sunday morning, and the feature race
Sunday afternoon.  Call me crazy, but in between, I like to walk the paddock
and visit with friends, work on the car some, have a cheeseburger at the
snack bar, swaps parts with others or visit the flea market, watch the tire
crews mount tires, watch some of my buddies in the other races, walk the
track in the evening, etc.  I haven't been to an event yet that I didn't
like.  If things were as bad as the vocal grousers say, then vintage racing
wouldn't be growing like it is.  If all I was interested in was track time,
I'd sign up for test day, and skip the event all together.  I actually enjoy
watching the Formula One cars, Thundersports cars, Stock cars.. hell, I
never met a car I didn't like.

Vaughn