Corner Workers

To: Vintage Race List <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Corner Workers
From: Richard Hardison <cobra@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:46:25 -0600
When I first became interested in vintage racing I attended a number of
CVAR events before buying my first car.  I was fortunate to find a great
club where all workers are full members like everyone else.

I went through the drivers school just for fun and then accepted an
offer to help work corners.  This seemed like a good way to learn what
was going on at the events.  I learned from the experienced workers and
made some friends before I ever raced a car with CVAR.  It was a great
experience for me.  Sure is a good way to learn flagging and emergency
procedures.

In CVAR, all workers are full club members.  They are automatically
invited to everything we do!  We refer to out Saturday evening party as
the "workers' party".  The club chooses one worker (from the whole group
of officials including timing, scoring, etc.) to attend each of our
schools and then drive a car we rent for them for that weekend.  Some
drivers provide prizes and gifts for workers from time to time.

I believe vintage racing would benefit from periodic role changes, where
drivers work and workers drive.  Sure learn a lot.

Richard