Re: Tow vehicle - Hensley Arrow

To: "Dick Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Tow vehicle - Hensley Arrow
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:59:56 -0500
Dick

Instead of working on the race car brakes this afternoon I made a mockup
of the basic
Hensley Arrow mechanism - just to convince myself that retirement hasn't
totally removed my ability to think in three dimensions!. Guess what? As
expected the trailer has total freedom to swing! The secondary platform
can also swing. So it comes down to  - "What are the secondary bars or
links? - I don't mean the load equalizers.

I suspect that it is a sway reducer not a sway eliminator - not that
that is all bad.

Anyhow I have emailed Hensley Manufacturing asking them them to send me
a copy of Mr Hensley's patent AND to email the vintage race list with a
decription of HOW it works.

Lets wait and see.

Derek

Dick Buckingham, Jr. wrote:

> Derek, if you look at the schematic, you will see that it is an
> equalizer hitch first of all so you get all of the advantages of that.
AGREED
> Secondly, the trailer is hooked to a ball which is mounted on an
> articulated platform.  However, the platform can't be moved by input
> from the trailer side.
WHY NOT - WHAT STOPS IT?
BOTH THE ARTICULATED LINKS AND BALL COUPLING PROVIDE ROTATIONAL
FREEDOM.
> It can only be moved from the other side i.e.
> the tow vehicle when it changes it's relationship to the platform by
> turning the tow vehicle in relationship to the towed vehicle either by
> going forward around a corner or by going backwards and making an angle
> between the tow vehicle and that which is towed.
HMMMM