Re: Water jackets

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: Water jackets
From: Langsten <langsten@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:00:20 -0400
Contemporary automotive engine rebuilders have a wash process that will remove
all residuals from casting and you get back a piece that looks like a brand new
piece of steel.
A word of caution on aluminum parts. Many manufacturers seal their aluminum
castings after machining with a clear solution. Often this is to seal porosities
and prevent leakage. It also helps to prevent dirt build up over time and allows
us to wash these parts and have them come clean with soap and water. Tanking
these parts in an agressive cleaning process like the above will remove this
sealant, and although your part will look shiny new for a few days, it will soon
tarnish as  minor corrosion starts.
 The build up you describe on the GT6 cylinder head will be cleaned out , and
you
can prevent it from reoccurring with a good anti freeze and annual coolant
flushes.

Mario Langsten
Bow, NH