Re: The time I blew off tech

To: malcox@napanet.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The time I blew off tech
From: DonJQueen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:50:54 EDT
In a message dated 10/03/1999 10:37:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
malcox@napanet.net writes:

<< The tech inspector became seriously focused on my closed wheel nuts and of
 course short wheel studs. >>

Closed wheel nuts are time bombs, yet I see too many of them at every CSRG
tech.

My son races a Tiger with VARA. He once tried the unlikley combination of
long studs and closed end nuts. The result was that he was able to torque
each nut to the proper tightness, yet the wheel was not quite snug since the
nut had bottomed out at the end of the stud.
The wheel was snug enough to leave the paddock, but his right rear wheel
snapped off in the esses at Sears
(very exciting)(very expensive) I'm lucky I still have a son.
A warning to all CSRG members. I intend to write up every car with closed end
nuts from now on. No whining. I don't care how original or pretty they are.
Don Queen