Re: Racing flags

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: Racing flags
From: rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:42:32 -0700
Brian Evans wrote:

> At 01:12 AM 11/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >In a message dated 11/26/98 5:15:47 AM, brian@uunet.ca writes:
> >
> ><<So all those who said otherwise, possibly your local race
> >organization uses non-FIA standard flags for signallying during races>>
> >
> >The FIA also allows wine to be drank in the pits!!
> >

> My first reaction was "and your point is?"  My second reaction was "this is
> somehow bad?".  But in the strict interests of sobriety in all racing
> endeavors, including talking about racing, I'll confess that I didn't know
> that.  We don't even allow beer in the pits, let alone the paddock, and
> we're all hosers, eh?
>
> I was reading in my Formula Ford book the other day, and one car was built
> with a depression molded in for a beer bottle holder!
>
> Cheers, Brian
> Brian Evans
> Director, Carrier Sales
> UUNET, an MCI WorldCom Company
> (416) 216 5111

I just attended the International Council of Motorsports Sciences and
was very surprised to learn that some professional racing organizations
require periodic drug testing (some, before each event), and at least
two do breathalyzer tests prior to racing.  Maybe this is appropriate
when so many beer companies sponsor cars & boats in professional
racing.  That certainly puts a different spin on drinking in the pits
which I think is totally inappropriate until the day's racing is
finished.  We have enough drivers impaired by "the red mist" without
adding drugs and alcohol to the mix.  It should also be mentioned that
more crew and workers are injured than are drivers in almost every type
of racing (they just don't get all the press!) so I think it is totally
appropriate for them to keep their wits about them i.e. no drugs and
alcohol.

As for the flags: every driver should know the meaning of the flags
without thinking about it.  When you see a flag on the course, you
should instantly know its meaning and how to respond!  There is no time
to be thinking, "Now shouldn't that blue flag have a stripe on it?"  The
workers are our friends and the flags are their only means to give us
information which will make our sport safer and ultimately more fun.  It
obviously isn't fun if anyone gets hurt!

On Thanksgiving day, I certainly gave thanks for our turn workers,
volunteers, officials and course marshalls.  If we didn't have them, we
couldn't be doing what we love.

Dick Buckingham, Jr., M.D.
Race Chairman - SOVREN
President - Vintage Motorsports Council