Formula Ford Cortina/Uprated help needed

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Formula Ford Cortina/Uprated help needed
From: Rikrock <Rikrock@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:07:25 EDT
Hello,

I am trying to figure out some things about the 1600cc engine.  I have a 1970
TVR VIXEN.  It was fitted with the 1600cc engine, a Cortina GT version.  The
casting number on the block is 691.  The engine has been removed from the car,
and completely torn down.  The casting number on the crank is 2737.  I was
planning to rebuild this engine, bore it, put in a hot cam, maybe some Webers,
you know, a hot street setup.  I don't know anything about these particular
engines, but I do have a good bit of experience building various engines.

As I get into this project, I learn that there is an uprated engine that came
out in 1971 or so.  From what I have read, the uprated engine has a 711
casting number, and this engine has better main bearing caps and a crankshaft
with larger counterweights, making it the preferred setup.

So, I search the junkyards, and find a Pinto with the 711 casting number on
the block.  I buy the engine, and tear it down, expecting to see main bearing
caps and a crankshaft quite different from the 691 engine.  Well, the main
bearing caps on the 711 look exactly like the ones on the 691, and the
crankshaft does not look much different either.  The crank has a 711 casting
number, but other than that, I don't see much difference.  What's going on
here?  What am I not seeing?  Right now I have two blocks and two cranks at
the machine shop, and my machinist is waiting for me to tell him which items
to work on.

Could someone please tell me, in detail, whatever they know about these
engines?

Thanks

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA