F1 Television Coverage - FWIW

To: DWhitesdJr <DWhitesdJr@aol.com>
Subject: F1 Television Coverage - FWIW
From: Mark Donaldson <ardmore@voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 11:14:36 -0800
DWhitesdJr wrote:

> According to the Autosport (UK) chat line yesterday, Bernie got mad at ESPN
> for carrying the race live on EPSN2 rather than EPSN and pulled the plug less
> than 24 hours before the broadcast.  If this is true, it is interesting to
> know Bernie has so little regard for the already small group of F-1 fans in
> the US.

        IMHO you did not miss a lot by not seeing it.
        It was a big yawn from start to finish. No dicing.
        Just 1 and 2 and a   B I G   gap back to 3rd.
        Only nine of the 22 entrants finished. And Coulthard
        slowed down on the finish line to let Hakkanen win.
        According to the press, the two of them made a deal
        that who ever was in the lead at the end of the first
        lap would get to cross the finish line first (assuming
        either of them got that far).
        When asked about the lack of value for spectators, the
        "winner" (by default) said words to the effect that
        "the spectators didn't matter". I, for one, was extremely
        pissed off by that arrogant and thoughtless comment.

        Climbs back down off soap-box.

        Irritated
        in Auckland