Old cars racing - was SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios

To: Andrew Pursey <MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au>
Subject: Old cars racing - was SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios
From: Jeremy Braithwaite <ATROZ@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 06:04:33 -0500
Andrew

<<I don't see why they can't be classified right now as Historic, albeit
that the cars themselves don't have a racing history - they qualify in da=
te
terms.  I've previously expressed the view that Group C is truly Historic=
 -
these are genuine ex-race cars from the period - but I think that some of=

the elitists have trouble when viewing tin tops.

Maybe it is coming time for Historics to split into two categories - one
exclusively for cars with a racing history and another for old cars that
are now being raced but without a racing history.  The latter category
would allow Group S Production Sports Cars and Group N Touring Cars, and
HQs out to play at the same meeting - could be good for the spectator
count?  Of course, there is one flaw in this argument - aren't there Grou=
J and K (pre-War) cars racing that are actually modern builds using old
components?>>

Don't think this is an easy one - if you limit the class to those cars wi=
th
a race history then you limit the class.  Alternatively if you allow peop=
le
to recreate cars then you probably upset those with genuine cars.  The
pre-war groups cater for both - some of the cars are re-creations or new
creations - while some have a genuine racing history.

regards

Jeremy Braithwaite
Age & Treachery Racing Australia

For details of FF rentals, test days and corporate days see:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/atroz

1970 Lotus 61MX - Team Holland
1976 Bowin P6F
1983 Reynard FF83 =

1986 Isuzu FVR Pantechnicon
1972 Datsun 240Z
1993 RF93 Van Diemen with 95 update - deposit paid
1997 Ford Falcon XR8 Tickford
A large collection of model cars

Investor in the Lance Ruting Collection of motorsport photographs