synthetic oil for air cooled engines

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: synthetic oil for air cooled engines
From: unitedps@mozcom.com (Marc Ablaza)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:37:17 -0800
Gene Berg, a foremost authority on VW racing engines, writes that, "We do
not sell or use synthetic engine oil for the air cooled VW as it rejects
heat.  The air cooled VW depends on the oil to soak up the heat from the
head and carry it back to the oil cooler.  With the synthetic oil the head
temperature went up and the oil temperature went down."

How true are his claims on synthetic oil for VW engines?  Currently, I am
using Castrol GTX 20-50 for my vintage Karmann Ghia race car.  We change
the oil after every race and have not experienced any problems with the
engine.  I am considering using synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or Castrol for
next season.  Any opinions.

Thanks.

Marc Ablaza (KG 1961)
Manila