FormulaFord

To: "ONG John" <tec96205@mech.port.ac.uk>
Subject: FormulaFord
From: Jeremy Braithwaite <ATROZ@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:37:25 -0400
John

<<    I'm a Mechanical Engineering student in my final year at the =

University of Portsmouth, U.K..  Hence a project is required of us.  I'm =

currently doing on Formula  racing cars.
      Due to the vastness of the field, my research concentrates on =

chassis & suspension.  Thus I would greatly appreciate it if =

suggestion or highlights could be made on any inadequacies or =

deficiencies of the race cars on the aforementioned field as part of =

my research requisites include addressing the shortcomings of chassis =

& suspension.
      It would be a tremendous help towards my project if an =

interview could be arranged with you regarding the subject. My =

address & contact number is as mentioned above.>>
    =

We have a couple of problems:

1. I'm not a qualified chassis engineer.

2. I live in Sydney Australia.

My suggestion is that you see if you can find a collection of Racecar
Engineering magzines and read all the articles on the topic.  Also buy al=
of Carroll Smith's books. This will help provide you with a grounding on
the topic.

The reality of engineering a racing car is that every component is capabl=
of improvement at any given time and therefore it is not possible to have=
general discussion on ' inadequacies or deficiencies' .... rather it is
possible to identify new technologies and study their applicability to
improving existing components.

In most categories today - including FF - the new shock absorber technolo=
gy
initially developed by Penske in the USA - when combined with current dat=
logging and analysis techniques - is providing a lot of opportunity.

The other aspect of your topic that you will need to develop an
understanding of is the relationship of tyre choice to chassis design.  T=
he
objectiive of the chassis is to work the tyre to its optimum.  Everytime =
formula changes tyre - as is particualrly the case with F1 next year and =
as
was the case with FF here in Australia this year (Dunlop CR82 to Avon
ACB10) everything changes.

The trouble is very few people actually understand all the implications o=
any change and even well established chassis manufacturers can quickly lo=
se
their way.  =

I'm sure that a lot of people on the forum would be interested if you wer=
to share your research with us all.

regards

Jeremy Braithwaite
Age & Treachery Racing Australia